Print Thread
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar #5094818 04/30/14 09:58 PM
D
ds74 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Ok guys, I have received some good insight from several people on here through PMs and thought I would ask everyone on here and see what opinions I might get. I have been researching different breeds for over a year and have been bouncing around between the lab, vizsla, wirehaired pointing griffon, and now the drahthaar. Everytime I feel like I have a good idea of what I want I read something else negative about that breed. My main wants are a family dog with a good temperament that can be safe around children and also an inside dog (I don't think my wife will be excited about a lab crawling up on the couch). Needs to be able to retrieve. As far as hunting goes I dove, duck, deer hunt (maybe train to blood trail?), and occasionally have the chance to go quail hunting. I also went pheasant hunting for the first time last year in the panhandle and would like to get into that some more (didn't hunt with dogs though). I am currently bouncing back and forth between the WPG and DD but I have read a lot of people talking about the DD being aggressive and biting people and other dogs. What are your thoughts on the WPG and DD temperament and hunting ability? I also plan to try to attend some of the training days or NAVHDA test nearby. Sorry for the long post.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5095020 05/01/14 12:31 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
All the breeds you listed will do the type of hunting you want. One thing to note is that it is awfully hot in Texas to wear a wire jacket year round and it will affect the dogs time in the field substantially.

As a family dog, I have not been around many Vs or WPG in the home but have talked to many that have and have seen them in the field. They all seem to be fine in the home environment. My DD is fine as a family dogs as well as others that I have been around.

Both the WPG and DD will hunt very well for you and as a whole will make you proud but again about the wire coat and the heat.

Where have you read about this aggressiveness? I have heard as well about very few lines of DD have aggression issues but those are few and far between. I have seen some growling and posturing at testing days but never a fight and also never even close to biting a person. I have walked onto peoples properties that own DD and have not even been barked out. As with any dog you choose, do your homework and research to make sure you are not getting a pup with baggage.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5095417 05/01/14 11:22 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you go with the DD, you can look around for a breeder that has a thinner coated DD. That is what I did. There are several breeders that produce a dog that will do fine in Texas and other hot states.

As far as aggressiveness, DDs are not agressive like you said. If a DD shows agressiion, their pedigree is stamped that they are not allowed to breed. There are strict breeding regulations with DD. Like any program, nothing is perfect and 1 in 1000 may end up agressive, but the breed is not agressive towards anything you don't want it to be agressive towards. Now if you want it to be agressive or train it to be agressive, it will catch and kill just about any animal.

If you want to see real DDs, skip the NAVHDA tests and go to the DD tests.

I have 2 DDs, 2 kids, a flu flu dog, and a bunch of cats.

PM me any questions about the DD. I know several breeders.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5095519 05/01/14 12:54 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
I visited the Big River DD Org. meeting, there were more DD's than I thought existed on the property. No fights no growling, kids running everywhere and no bit kids. If you decide on a DD and plan to get one soon, There's a gentleman who has a litter due the 15th of May in Mt Pleasant TX. PM me and I will give you his contact info. Don't know if he's still taking deposits or not.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5095767 05/01/14 03:56 PM
D
DirtyDave Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
DD's are great. When I get a full sized dog, it will be a DD. ( I run Jagdterriers now). That said, they are Versatile and Gritty, not just a bird dog. Ask yourself if you hunt enough to justify a Hard Dog like a DD.
For the type of hunting you do, you might be better off with a GSP or a Lab. KEEP THE LAB SKINNY, if you get a lab. Overweight dogs drive me nuts haha

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5095810 05/01/14 04:22 PM
D
ds74 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
DirtyDave, what characteristics about the DD would you consider make it a "Hard Dog"?

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5095921 05/01/14 05:39 PM
D
DirtyDave Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: ds74
DirtyDave, what characteristics about the DD would you consider make it a "Hard Dog"?

A Hard Dog is a dog that is fearless, gritty, doesn't hesitate to put its teeth on fur, as a DD should be. They are not just bird dogs, they are used to run Boars, Coons, Fox, etc. They make great bird dogs, but they are not limited to birds. My opinion is that using a DD as just a Bird Dog is a bit of a waste of potential.
A DD can bay up a boar, shake out a coon, and still have a soft mouth on birds all in the same day.
(so can a GSP for that matter, but they seem to be used as just bird dogs in the US)

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5096186 05/01/14 09:09 PM
S
super Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Stinkbelly what is the difference of a real DD at a german test than a DD training at NAVHDA.

Jason
Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5096190 05/01/14 09:14 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I think he meant a GWP at navdha and the vdd being exclusive to just DD.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: super] #5096804 05/02/14 11:29 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: super
Stinkbelly what is the difference of a real DD at a german test than a DD training at NAVHDA.

What I meant is that the best DD breeders, handlers, and dogs will be at a DD test and not a NAVHDA test.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5096834 05/02/14 12:03 PM
silverranger Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Have WHP he great Dove, Duck dog. Love able friendly house dog

silverranger
Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5098537 05/03/14 10:51 PM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I have had DD sence 1980. like dirty dave said,they will do it all. they need to be hunted, exercised daily. they are a true virsital hunting dog. as far as agression depends on the blood line. my first 5 or so were from germany. very protective over me and my property. they were also used as guard dogs in germany. I have never owned a griffon so can't coment. Forrest

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5099507 05/04/14 10:48 PM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
DD are also great blood trailers. some have a colder nose than others. yes they do make great house companions. Forrest

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5099784 05/05/14 02:27 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: ds74
....and have been bouncing around between the lab, vizsla, wirehaired pointing griffon, and now the drahthaar........ I am currently bouncing back and forth between the WPG and DD......

Labradors a a bit different than the others in that it is not a recognised versatile breed, but rather a retrieving breed. With some lines bred for pointing and flushing upland game. The breed is so stretched out by type that you would really want to do your research to get the right pup from the right breeding for your purpose. Just as my dogs of my breed of choice the Vizsla to be used for retrieving would also take some care to find the right pup from the right breeding.

The other three all were on my short list when I was first getting into the versatile dog game. The breeding was more important to me than which breed and I am sure I would have been just as happy with any of the three for my purpose provided my dog came from the right bloodline from the right breeder and with good health clearances.

My next two someday in the future versatiles will be a pup out of my current Vizsla Dash because the line of dogs he and my other dog Blaze originated from has proven to fit what works well for my kind of hunting, but I also would like a wirehaired breed. So my other could be a WPG, DD, Wirehaired Vizsla, and at the top of my short list now a Pudlepointer which is one of the foundation breeds of the DD and on average the highest scoring breed in NAVHDA.

DD vs WPG are a bit different though both are 4 wheel drive. As pointed out with Fur and Feather, DDs are probably going to be more strong on the Fur side which makes sense being of german origin for hunting boar and hare. WPGs from what I have seen are going to be a closer working dog of the two and I believe there is some truth to them being the walking hunter's dog.

And don't rule out the Pudlepointer on your short list. The DD and my Pudlepointer wirehaired choice favorite are both hunter's dogs in that they have not been mucked up by AKC for other purposes. Breeders produce those two non AKC breeds for the sole purpose of hunting. No breeders are creating lines solely for pets, show dogs, agility, etc as is done with many AKC sporting breeds.

DD vs GWP was brought up and they are right in that the DD has not been mucked up by the AKC like the GWP has even though genetically they are the same dog. Since the JGHV testing is required as a breeding requirement for the DD your more likely to find your versatile hunting potential over a GWP. JGHV or JGV-USA and NAVHDA tests are very similar though the JGHV may make more use of the fur side and NAVHDA testing is not part of a breeding requirement. Not to say a breeder can't use NAVHDA. For example the Dam to my youngest Vizsla Dash has earned a breeders award with NAVHDA with many of Dash's siblings having earned a Prize I, Dash included. So don't rule out NAVHDA when researching your breeders for any breed. There are DDs that have done JGV-USA testing and NAVHDA testing both. And probably AKC testing. They can be dual registered with NAVHDA and AKC. But they will be called a GWP with the other registries even though the JGHV/JGV-USA considers it a separate breed. Yes the GWPs for the hunter has suffered from AKC involvement, but if you do look to the other side, look closely at the parents and grandparents as a breeding could still have originated from JGHV dogs and or you could find a history of NAVHDA testing. You DD guys feel free to correct me if I got over my head and any of that is wrong.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5100282 05/05/14 03:22 PM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
sniper john, good job. Forrest

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5104254 05/08/14 11:33 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I.m a senior citizen who has owned beagles, brittneys, english ponters, labs, etc. Most recently my 3rd lab passeed away and my wife convinced me to look at the Spinone Italiano. It is only recently recognized by the AKC however it is in paintings from Micheal Angelo. It is believed to have been developed from the wire haired griffon. I did buy a male and I cant say enough positive about this dog. My son-in law a Kansas native and Pheasant hunter laughs at our relationship. This dog is my shadow, he is a phenominal pointer, retriever both on land and in water. His disposition is such that he has never growled, my little grandkids do any and all things to him pull, pinch and ride him and we are totally confident he will never respond poorly. He is always wagging his tail and loves people. My fear is he will some day just jump in someones car and leave.

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Drahthaar [Re: ds74] #5114364 05/15/14 03:51 PM
J
jsix321 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Me and some buddies own DD's and haven't had any problems with them being aggressive and our dogs are great with kids. I hear the same stories on how DD's are aggressive but yet to see it. With that said, I will say they will stand their ground if another dog or animal is aggressive toward them. DD's are also great as a companion/hunting dog, their very calm and confident and like to be a part of the family.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide