I took my kids down for our annual "Family spring camping trip and turkey shoot" we got all setup about 4pm on friday I stepped into the house and wouldn't ya know it, a long beard strolls by within 10 feet of the house! I grabbed my shotgun and vest and snuck out the back door, still in uniform and camo crocs I put the ninja sneak around the side of the house and drew up the shotgun to find a bearded hen...

At this point I'm thinking (I KNOW I saw a big RED HEAD!!) so I gave the bearded girl a pass. I sat down to mess with a call and couldn't get it to work (something went off with my striker during the ride down) I grabbed another call and rapped it a few times and BOOM! Big boy steps out of the cedars 60 yards from the house and goes into full strut! I put the "other" ninja sneak on him and got around the pump house to a stone wall (within 30 yards of where he was strutting) I popped in a mouth call and got into gun position. I hit the yelp and he walked away from the cedar a few steps right into my sights but it didn't feel right I just didn't have a confident shot with the stone wall on my left and the electrical box/pole to my right. So I waited for a better shot op...of course I didn't get one.

team camo crocs 0

The next morning was NUTS! I had 10+ birds in my lap in every direction but so many hens yelping that I never saw a tom. My parents showed up mid day saturday, when we all sat down to dinner around 5pm and as I finished my plate I stepped inside to grab desert I heard a shot. I came out to find 3 big toms running off and my dad with this!

7.5" beard 1" spurs team sneakers +1

I had all but given up after I packed up all the sleeping bags, tent, other goodies when I sat down on the back porch for an ice cold cup of water. Wouldn't ya know it, longbeard down in the bottoms I jumped on the 4 wheeler and hauled it around to the other side of the woods (direction he was going) I snuck into the woods sat down and hit the call....nothing. I moved closer to the position I saw him last and same thing...nada...Just as I was thinking I know he was "RIGHT HERE" I saw a flash to my left and he was 6 feet from me headed down hill, I pulled up and BOOM!

8.5" beard 1" spurs team steel toes +1

Typical late season hunt, killed a nice long beard without hearing a single gobble all day long. Gotta get in that tiny head of theres and figure out what they want to do, and where they want to be!

All in all always a lot of work to take the kids camping but they enjoy every minute of it!! I'm super thankful to spend another spring turkey season with my grandparents (83 years old) and so thankful for my kids that love it outdoors!!

Next year maybe I will put some numbers on the board for team camo crocs!! 1 more weekend and we have a bunch of hunters coming in from out of town so I'm ready to get er did!!

-Matt