Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Eating venison while pregnant? [Re: Beretta14] #5077228 04/18/14 04:28 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
On the smell subject, my wife could not stand the smell of a Whataburger. I had to change clothes as soon as I got home or she would get sick. It lasted for about a year after our daughter was born.

Re: Eating venison while pregnant? [Re: Beretta14] #5080808 04/21/14 03:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My wife and I have one on the way. Venison and feral pork makes up the majority of meat we eat, as ground meat used to replace ground beef and steaks sausage and jerky.

The doc said it was likely better than anything store bought as long as it was cared for and prepared properly.

Last edited by redchevy; 04/21/14 03:00 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Eating venison while pregnant? [Re: Beretta14] #5094474 04/30/14 05:38 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A new post from a new member. Welcome!

If his wife is not accustomed to eating wild game, she may be under the incorrect assumption that it may be harmful. Many people I have introduced to hog and venison felt that way until they read about it and ate some.

My wife works with a lady who won't eat any meat that doesn't come in a package describing it's contents. Poor girl. She can stick with the chemically laden stuff feel comfort with her misinformation.

Beretta14, you can assure your wife that it is healthier than anything in the meat aisle of the grocery store. Just be sure it was handled properly from start to finish - just like any meat. At least you'll know how many times it has been frozen and thawed.

Kudos to you guys who took the time to cook meat outside while your wives were pregnant. There are many conditions that can make a person upset at the smell and it can have a lasting effect on their preferences and appetite.

Re: Eating venison while pregnant? [Re: Beretta14] #5094676 04/30/14 08:24 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Beretta14
Well, the only way to get my post count up is to post right? :-)
We have a venison cook book that states " Any woman who is pregnant is probably best advised to avoid eating venison during the course of her pregnancy. This is because of a fairly common, though often misunderstood, disease known as toxoplasmosis. It is commonly acquired through eating undercooked meat. A woman who becomes infected during pregnancy risks major problems with the fetus she is carrying including death, brain damage, hydrocephalus, jaundice, or convulsions at or shortly after birth.
I'm not sure how to read that as a first time parent and not become concerned enough to look further. There is not a lot of research out there on the topic so the most logical place I thought of to ask was a hunting forum full of people who have "been there done that."
Trust me, no PETA members in our household. We pride ourselves by filling our freezer with animals we have taken from our property.

The chances are pretty good that anyone who has a cat or has ever had a cat has already been infected with toxoplasmosis. The issue is, as you have stated, becoming infected during pregnancy. Personally, I think that treating everything like it was bear meat that may be full of trichinella spores and cooking it to well done (then slicing it really thin to make it edible) is virtually the same safety margin as avoiding game meat altogether.

For what it's worth, my wife probably ate 200 lbs. of wild game meat while she was pregnant with her second. Lots of cilantro venison with cumin yogurt sauce, slow cooked feral pig tacos, chicken fried moose, butterflied pintail (one of her favorites), etc. etc. Anything with dark, red meat was what she wanted. No problems with mom or baby.

You get to clean the litterbox until the delivery, too.

Re: Eating venison while pregnant? [Re: 7mag] #5094856 04/30/14 10:20 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: 7mag
I ate it while I was pregnant. Just make sure she takes in a bunch of fiber as I got hemorrhoids badly.
flush

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide