T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Navasot
They stock redfish in fresh water lakes that survive just fine. From my understanding its the same red as at the coast. They used to stock corvina, which are a hybrid somewhat similar to specks. Sharks go up rivers etc. It may not be salt water in the tank. In brackish water I think they mix somewhat regularly. Bet they got their in the hurricane and will do fine weather it is fresh or saltwater. They may not spawn though.

Even though they are both drum the spec is a very different fish... Not near as hardy as its scaled family members imo. Reds are nothing but a saltwater version of the goo. I just didn't think there would be that much salt that far north.. pretty cool

Not sure we are talking about the same things.

If YOUR talking about a spotted sea trout, aka speckled trout, and red drum, aka red fish, then yes, you guys are talking about the same fish.

Speckled trout can not live in fresh water. Reds can.

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: Navasot] #5082781 04/22/14 06:33 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
They stock redfish in fresh water lakes that survive just fine. From my understanding its the same red as at the coast. They used to stock corvina, which are a hybrid somewhat similar to specks. Sharks go up rivers etc. It may not be salt water in the tank. In brackish water I think they mix somewhat regularly. Bet they got their in the hurricane and will do fine weather it is fresh or saltwater. They may not spawn though.

Even though they are both drum the spec is a very different fish... Not near as hardy as its scaled family members imo. Reds are nothing but a saltwater version of the goo. I just didn't think there would be that much salt that far north.. pretty cool

Speckled trout (spotted sea trout) is a "drum"...that's a new one to me

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: smokewagon84] #5082802 04/22/14 06:46 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Learn something(s) new everyday

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: smokewagon84] #5082807 04/22/14 06:52 PM
N
Net Direct Auto Sales Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Very interesting.

Robert Nash
Net Direct Auto Sales
www.netdirectautosales.com

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: kdkane1971] #5082809 04/22/14 06:53 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Speckled trout (spotted sea trout) is a "drum"...that's a new one to me

Same family, just like sandies & croaker.

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: Trout-killer] #5082869 04/22/14 07:49 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer

Not sure we are talking about the same things.

If YOUR talking about a spotted sea trout, aka speckled trout, and red drum, aka red fish, then yes, you guys are talking about the same fish.

Speckled trout can not live in fresh water. Reds can.

Years ago the TPWD had a cross between the speckled trout and yellow mouth corvina that they stocked in the power plant lakes south of San Antonio.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: stxranchman] #5082873 04/22/14 07:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Years ago the TPWD had a cross between the speckled trout and yellow mouth corvina that they stocked in the power plant lakes south of San Antonio.

Yep that is what I was talking about. I personally have never taken a spec and thrown it in fresh water to see if it will live, but if a speck cross can survive and reds and several others can I would be inclined to believe it is possible.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: smokewagon84] #5084744 04/23/14 09:18 PM
T
txbowhunt7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
He's a really dark fish too. Only trout I've seen with that many spots and that dark are caught in or close to the gulf, as opposed to ones that are caught in the bay.

Really neat find

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: smokewagon84] #5084765 04/23/14 09:32 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Speckled trout, redfish, and flounder can live and grow just fine in freshwater. Several places in Texas have freshwater fisheries for these 3 species.

However, they have to be slowly acclimated to totally fresh water. You can't just take a fish from the salt and dump em into freshwater. It has be gradual.

They can grow just fine - and large - in freshwater. But they will never reproduce.

Juvenile/fry/eggs won't live in freshwater, has to be at least fingerlings.

Freshwater reds/trout, IMHO, taste terrible compared to those caught in the salt.

Lots and lots of cases where floods/storms pushed fish far inland and trapped in freshwater. Tarpon too!! The gradual salinity change back to fresh and they survive just fine.

The reason you see more reds than trout in ponds is that reds are more tolerant to cold water. Unless the pond is very deep, trout have a tendency not to survive to cold, but the lack of salt is just fine.

In fact, it is very common in the winter for trout and reds to enter freshwater rivers and travel far above the salt line to escape the cold. They have caught reds and trout just below the Lake Livinston dam in the winter. You can often see blue crabs there too (and that's a long way to WALK). Heck, they even have a real nice big flounder mounted at one of the bait camps that was caught below the dam.

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: John Humbert] #5084911 04/23/14 10:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: John Humbert

In fact, it is very common in the winter for trout and reds to enter freshwater rivers and travel far above the salt line to escape the cold. They have caught reds and trout just below the Lake Livinston dam in the winter.

gonna have to call bull chit on that one, I would have to see proof. I used to fish lake Livingston and NEVER heard of a red or a trout being caught below the dam, just big catfish

reds can live pretty far upriver into the mouths of the bays but trout cannot.

in Louisianana up rivers they catch bass and reds in the same areas but the trout are always closer to the salt.

one thing that puzzles me is that the trout in the OP's pic is about 10" long. ike was in 2010 I believe so if that fish was displaced it wouldn't take it 4 years to grow to 10"

I did look up and see that a 7lb flounder was caught by a catfisherman drifting dead bait on bottom below the dam, which is 118 miles from the bay.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: smokewagon84] #5086330 04/24/14 07:29 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I know the cold issue is usually why they only get big in power plant lakes... id love to stock a pond full of reds..

Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: Navasot] #5093400 04/29/14 10:21 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
id love to stock a pond full of reds..

that would be cool!

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: speckled trout in a pond [Re: smokewagon84] #5094061 04/30/14 12:42 PM
U
usaf medic Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
I use to live in the Florida panhandle area and fished bass tournaments all the time, in the winter you would see guys trolling grubs and other jigs behind their boat up and down the creeks and rivers catching specks. I've caught bass, flounder, specs, and reds all on the same lure within 50 ft of each other. In fact it's pretty common to see specs chase your lures back to the boat.

Last edited by usaf medic; 04/30/14 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide