OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Post deleted by JBCooper

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50877 01/19/06 07:57 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
I just quit going full out, JB. No reason, just not as full-throttle about it as I once was. I still duck hunt, just not like I did 20 or so years ago.

It's a new crowd these days with all the folks on the water all vying for that one perfect spot. They have to be ruthless to some degree on public waters. Not rude like you described, of course, but hardnosed. I can imagine how it is when the weather's perfect and the ducks are flying and there's just a few spots open, especially like it is during this drought we're having. Even back then it was a hit and miss after you've watched the ducks come and go, after you've stayed up all night getting ready only to find someone had "camped out" in your spot...and there was no "internent awareness" like there is now. Hunters will always find a way to adapt. Might be hard on us, but we will find a way.

Now as far as being snotty and disrespectful, that's not hunters in my book.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50878 01/19/06 08:00 PM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50879 01/19/06 08:06 PM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Once, there was Duck Hunter on Public Land.

IN MY COYOTE CALLING AREA!! DANG IT BARNEY

So I called the Game Warden and reported him as a poacher.
Waited and after a while, GW showed up, and the GW busted him.
LOL.

Just kidding.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50880 01/19/06 08:46 PM
G
Gary Willmann Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Quote:

I think the biggest decision maker in my case was the over-zealous, pretensious and often egotistical nature of the "duck hunters" I came in contact with. Many times after scouting, watching birds and learning their habits, I would pick what I thought to be a "good" spot, only to have "duck hunters" show up at dawn and begin cussing and fussing and accusing me of stealing their spot. I tried for a while to overcome this obstacle and strictly followed the "written" as well as the "unwritten" rules of duck hunting. Even with my efforts, the doors seemed closed to anyone who wasn't in the "good ol' boy association of duck hunters." The funny thing is, even on public water, these guys' egos lead them to believe that they have exclusive rights to said waters. I find it funny that "duck hunters" in general, act like they should have first-pick and exclusive rights without objection. Just my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. I do not know why people think they own the lake or cove or any spot. I can tell you I have gone hunting and found someone hunting where I intended to go. Oh well... off to plan B.

But I have heard countless stories of those who beat someone to "their" spot only to be confronted by those parties and even threatened with violence if they don't leave. They have no right to that spot more than anyone else. The worst of these are guides. nuff said.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It all boils down to RESPECT. And there are only a handfull of hunters out there that have even heard of the term, much less the meaning. And I don't only mean respecting others, but the game they hunt as well.

Last edited by Gmann; 01/19/06 08:47 PM.
Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Gary Willmann] #50881 01/20/06 12:27 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
over-zealous, pretensious and often egotistical nature of the "duck hunters"

Dang!!! That is kind of a tall brand for such a short cow. Meaning:I think you are entitled to your opinion and would listen if you did not tag duck hunters with that statement. I have been a duck hunter longer than I can remember and have had only a handfull of troubles with other hunters. Most of the times I have met strangers on the water (other duck hunters) we get along like old friends.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: wal1809] #50882 01/20/06 01:53 AM
J
JBCooper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Wayne,

Before you and I have an unnecessary flare-up, please put my statement back in context....
Quote:

I think the biggest decision maker in my case was the over-zealous, pretensious and often egotistical nature of the "duck hunters" I came in contact with.

I did not tag anyone. I clearly stated "the ones I came in conact with." If this crossed you as a generalization then I apologize. However, I'm sure you're aware of the old addage "if the shoe fits."

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50883 01/20/06 02:07 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't want a flare up either I am too tired to argue through a keyboard. I am simply stating I am a hunter of all God's creatures. I feel they are a gift. I do feel the greatest gift of all of them is waterfowl. Therefore I am a waterfowler, not even by choice anymore. And yes my feathers get ruffled with statements like that. As I said I don't want to rumble on the keyboard tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50884 01/20/06 02:10 AM
Bradbury Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Quote:

Wayne,

Before you and I have an unnecessary flare-up, please put my statement back in context....
Quote:

I think the biggest decision maker in my case was the over-zealous, pretensious and often egotistical nature of the "duck hunters" I came in contact with.

I did not tag anyone. I clearly stated "the ones I came in conact with." If this crossed you as a generalization then I apologize. However, I'm sure you're aware of the old addage "if the shoe fits."

Smiley faces or not...... Good for you to say..before you and I have an unnecessary flareup......if you have not read a couple of other post on this side of the decoys...no matter what you are thinking...best to not make backhanded apologies or compliments or anything like it.

I am sure Wayne was kidding around and might be assuming you have read the other threads.....And by your response about the shoe fitting...well, true in the sense of the comment, but not in this case.

So, before everybody starts in on this one and the migration continues....Everybody just calm the %$#@$#@%#@$%$#@% Down....

I feel each of you meant no harm at all in your comments, but for others, it could just be the tinderbox that could set this one a blaze like a couple of other ones.

Given.....it is a big brand to put on a little cow....I like that...by the way. Also, given....if the shoe fits... given there are some crusty individuals who hunt ducks, some real duck snobs....etc....I am probably some of both, but also we do know it all in our own minds...that is why most duck hunters are a very solitary bunch....

So, assuming you guys or others do not get into it based on a couple of misunderstandings....and I am saving you the trouble of reading about 10 pages of posts that could easily start here..... So no harm no foul, neither of you meant anything, but now is probably not be the best time on the Migratory side of the THF...to be kidding around, unless you really really know each other well. That is my free advice and worth what you paid for it....LOL

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: wal1809] #50885 01/20/06 02:13 AM
Bradbury Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Quote:

I don't want a flare up either I am too tired to argue through a keyboard. I am simply stating I am a hunter of all God's creatures. I feel they are a gift. I do feel the greatest gift of all of them is waterfowl. Therefore I am a waterfowler, not even by choice anymore. And yes my feathers get ruffled with statements like that. As I said I don't want to rumble on the keyboard tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Not tomorrow!!!!

Way to work it out......all is right....now on this duck pond!

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Bradbury] #50886 01/20/06 03:26 AM
D
duckhunter888 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I hear what your trying to say about the "nobody wants to help out and share knowledge syndrome" I too have been facing that down for the last several years and finally realized if it was going to happen for me I was the one who was going to have to make it happen. I read everything I can get my hands on, magazines and books, and watching hunting shows (which make it look way too easy). I bought a mud rig and put my time in on lakes and did what I thought would give me the best advantage over the next hunter and put me in a position to kill ducks. Believe me there has been alot of trial and error along the way. You learn something everytime you go out of what works and what doesn't, pay attention to what is happening out there on the water or the area your hunting. This sport is quite unique in the fact you have to work for everything you get and every duck you kill. Yea, some guys have more connections and intel than others, but in the end if you put in your time and effort you can get some areas figured out to have some effective hunts. One thing I have learned, things change alot very quickly, and the birds will be there one day and gone the next. Duck hunting is not for the faint of heart and takes a special breed of person to have the passion and fire from within to do it. My 2 cents.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50887 01/20/06 01:31 PM
1187 supermag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I understand where you're coming from. This guy found out about this one spot I like to hunt. Anyways , he would show up before me and before he headed out, I would double check with him to see where he was hunting because he was there first and he had pick of the litter perse'. So one morning I beat him there. The first thing that came out of his mouth was, "I'm usually here first." I simply chuckled and started on my way. Then he asked where I was hunting. I told him where I was hunting. That spot was the place I liked and the one he found out about. So me and my friend get set up at this particular spot and there was another group already out there about 400 - 500 yds away from us to our left. Then low and behold here's comes this guy and initially, he tries to set up between me and my friend's spread and the group that was to our left. The other group started flashing him and I told him that he was too close to us and the other group. So he and his friend pack up and goes out infront of us(me and the other group where hunting close into the bank) maybe about 100-150 yds. I tell him again that he's too close and should find another spot just as I do when he beats me there. He ignores me. So it's legal hunting time now and birds are flying. This guys calling and timing was horrible so when he'd call the birds would flare and then come work our spread. So after a few times of that, when the birds were decoying in our spread that guy and his friend would start bustin' to scare the birds off. Also when we'd shoot birds working our spread, they would yell," hey ya'll are pepperin' us, stop shooting." I told them that they set up right in our line of fire knowingly and we weren't going to stop shooting and if they didn't want to get peppered, then move. So pretty much after that we had a crappy hunt. Well me and my friend were pissed. So me and my friend went out there again one morning and this same guy was there again, but we beat him again. He again set up right on top of us. So this time me and my friend picked up our spread and put away our guns. We didn't leave though. Instead, we got our dog whistles out and blew them like crazy everytime a duck was in sight. This went on for about an hour. Finally, those guys packed up and left. We haven't seen them since.

Take 'em!
Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: duckhunter888] #50888 01/20/06 01:50 PM
JohnWester Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
duckhunter888, YOU COULD NOT HAVE MADE A BETTER POINT...trial and error. This year we've had to make adjustments to the way we've had to hunt. Most of you duck hunters here know and have seen pictures of the blind I have the fortunate opportunity to hunt out of. But with low water conditions it's almost impossible to hunt out of this late in the season. So with that said we have gone thru our trials and errors for the past 2 weeks. Hunting bodies of water we've never hunted before. So we are up early and try to get to our spot and get our act togather as to not to PEE off anyone else. The only problem that we've run across is the fisherman...I believe it's because they honestly cannot see us. We've had to stand up and shout at them when they have got within shooting distance and they've been extremely courteous. Most duck hunters (the most hardcore hunter there is) are not willing to share spots, locations due to the fact that they often have worked there butts off to find these places they can hunt and have invested alot of time and effort. Paid there dues in other words. Personally if I had to start from scratch (had no places to hunt) I would do my trial and error testing during the middle of the week NOT the weekend, when most not all but most hunters hunt. That also leave me in a better position to shoot more, maybe a few more ducks in the bag and a lot less stress. As far as sharing ideas about rigs,blinds,decoy placement, calls, etc we're all more than willing to share our thoughts and opinions. In a nut shell I like to crappie fish too...and when I started frankly I SUCKED at it...but with lots of input from others, paying my dues on the water (trial and error) incorporating new approaches and techniques seldom do I come home empty handed. And no I will not tell you my favorite fishing hole . So go exploring but remember most of all Enjoy what your doing, have fun and keep it fun it's a time to veg out not to stress out. Now go shoot a duck.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JohnWester] #50889 01/20/06 04:42 PM
Bradbury Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You bet, it is a special breed...some do it as a passion, some do it as a hobby, others for just another thing to hunt. It really gets in your blood..I got hooked early when the teal sounded like jets coming in over our heads...that was enough...Add a good dog to the mix and you are hooked for life...add some good hunting buddies...then it makes it that much more fun.

Really, who wants to get up early, wade out in cool to cold water, walk in mud, get in a boat, set out decoys, have cold hands, sit in the brush, boat, blind...or whatever...have mud on your butt, hands, boots, waders, face, smell a wet dog, bloody hands, blow a copenhagen stained duck call. sit in snow, ice, bust ice, sleet, rain, wind...blue bird day....whatever.....Who would want to right????????? An idiot? No... a duckhunter!!!! Once you get on a good one....then you are hooked for life...but it is not for the faint of heart and jumpshooting is not duckhunting....You have to have the whole experience.....fill you waders, freeze your rear off, get wet, get muddy, get up early...work to make it fun....and it is fun! We duckhunters are a special breed....that is for sure.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JohnWester] #50890 01/20/06 04:59 PM
G
Gary Willmann Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Sorry to hear about that 1187, damn shame. Again, it's all about respect.

JohnWester, couldn't have said it better myself.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Gary Willmann] #50891 01/22/06 06:32 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Sorry to hear your story 1187, hopefully that was your only bad experience this year, I only had one like that this year. 90% of the duck hunters are respectful, I have learned to just tolerate the other 10% and try not to let them upset me, there is always another hunting day. You should always respect the hunter that got there before you, not sure why everyone can’t show that common courtesy. Keep being respectful duck hunters, try to show the other 10% the right way by example, you will change a few that don’t know any better, some will never change, just don’t let them change you. There is always another hunting day.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50892 01/22/06 09:12 PM
O
OFBHWG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
WHEN YOU START OFF A THREAD BY DEGRADING FOLKS WHAT ELSE DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO DO JEREMY?????????????????? YOU ARE GETTING ONLY WHAT YOU STARTED. IF YOU HAD NOT WRITTEN A NASTY THREAD ABOUT DUCK HUNTERS NONE OF THIS WOULD BE HAPPINING. BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS DUDE!!!!!!

When you need a Piano moved there is always someone around to help you with the stool!
Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: JBCooper] #50893 01/23/06 03:15 AM
R
RandallW20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
OH MY GOD!!!!! All you guys need to chill out. I have never seen so much bickering and selfishness in my life when it comes to ADULTS. I want everyone one here to take notice that we duck hunters are the only ones that get into these long arguments and debates. It is rediculous, look at the deer hunters, turkey hunters, varmit hunters,& fishermen,ya'll don't see them acting like a bunch of 3 year old girls. NO, they actually get along and help each other. I have only been in duck huting for one season and everytime I look at a forum on it, this is all it is, "A BUNCH OF WINNEY BABIES THAT CAN'T GET OVER THEMSELVES!"

SO GROW UP AND CHILL OUT!!!
We duck hunters are supposed to be like a family and help each other out like the other hunters.
"THE CIVILIZED PEOPLE!!!"

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: RandallW20] #50894 01/23/06 11:29 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Not meaning to try and change your attitude about things, but have you really looked at some of the "little" friendly discussions the deer hunters, hog hunters, and varmint hunters have had in the past 6 months. Oh and I forgot to mention discussions on scope, gun, and caliber selections. Just go look at the Antler Restrictions and High Fence issues, need I go on.

Just as an observation, all of us on here tend to forget, or don't take into cosideration, that as a group, we are a very small percentage of the hunting public. From my observations of the posts and comments of the members on here, and from conversations with the members I have met in person, we all tend to have, an attitude that hunting is getting beyond most of our abilities to afford, and that we are being pushed into a corner, that is forcing us to make the decision of whether we want to continue hunting and shooting, or just give it up. And we are all fighting it, but to me our fights turn sideways and get directed toward each other, instead of being channeled in a direction that might do some good. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Crazyhorse] #50895 01/23/06 02:37 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
AND>>>>> Why not voice your (our) opinions? What JB felt about folks is how he felt. I don't see him forcing it down anyone's throat - over and over and over like some topics (only a few in the thousands) we have here.

We have some hardnosed folks on here that need to be here and remain hardnosed, imo. Things are not always smooth and pleasant, so we tend to post how we see them. That doesn't mean to totally disregard the forum guidelines, but it does tend to lean against the boundaries a little.

As for me I hate to see someone get upset over things and not be able to discuss here...and when they do they get treated like they shouldn't have felt that way to begin with...???? What the heck is that all about. My wife tells me (and she oughta know) that I place myself in someone else's shoes too much. Well, that's because if I'm going to contribute to what they have to say I need to realize that there's always more than just one way to look at it. And the "other" way might not be what they want to hear, but at least it's coming in a form that they can accept or reject as they see fit.

I've not seen any indifference in the majority of posts here...not one bit. That says something about this site and its members, and why I like coming here.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Big Orn] #50896 01/23/06 04:51 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Are you getting on me, or just making an "In General" response. What I was getting at, just in case I confused anyone, was that this round of eruptions/deletions/lock downs, on the Migratory Bird Topic, is actually no worse than the ones I named. I was just trying to point out, that the folks on the waterfowl topic area aren't worse, or in some cases as bad, as what goes on in the other topics.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Crazyhorse] #50897 01/23/06 06:55 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla

Naaawww I was adding to what you said, which I agree with.

It's a shame when a good, heated discussion can't be generated from this good bunch of folks without somebody taking it personal.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: Big Orn] #50898 01/24/06 10:42 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I have been gone goose hunting for several days and just got back to read some of the responses. I am glad to see some of them and maybe not so glad to see others. What strikes me funny is when the posts get heated somebody always mentions duck hunter attiudes and how we should present ourselves on the forum. The catch part to that is the arguement almost always ends up with a statement about why we never turned to help others out when it come to duck hunting. Well I am pushing the BS button for the last time and this will be my last post on that subject. Several members of the forum and I have offered to trade hunts. The only reason that didn't happen this year is because of the no water conditions. I am sure we will be back on track next year and we will trade out hunts next year. The real BS button comes now. I am and will always be in the opinion to keep duck hunting locations off of the internet for reasons I have stated time and time again. To not flood with hunters and destroy one area. One reason is I like to hunt in solitude but there is another reason nobody has mentioned yet. A real good bird hole is not for the most part a learned area. Meaning birds left unpreasured will return time and time again to one spot in the flyway. If birds return year after year they will teach the new birds about that hole and so on and so on, an ancestrial hole has been created. Thus put on the internet or in a magazine, the general public will flood the area and hammer it for the next couple of years until the acenstrial chain is broken and guess what, it takes years for it to start again. Not to say there won't birds there again, just saying it changes things. Some say by not giving information over the internet or however makes me a stuck up duck hunter is crazy. I have said it on here before that I have some bang up holes and have offered to take people to them. The only reason I would do this is because I like and associate with true waterfowl hunters. I have no problem with helping them out in any way I can. But when I take them to a hole they learn what I have just talked about and they too will be just as secretive about the hole as I, or face the waterfowlers wall of SHAME. So call me what you want I don't care. The whole point to being a a hunter is just that. Hunt. Go forth, go amongst them and hunt. It is no different than pride in everyday things in life. Start a project and do the best you can and learn from mistakes. When your done, whether you have a full stringer of birds or not you have been successful because you did your best. If you keep at it eventually you will have the satisfaction of a full stringer and one hell of a memory because you did it all on your own. If I was to put a person in the truck and drive them to a hole and say in 10 minutes the birds are going to fly here and you shoot them. 10 minutes later the shooting starts and 6 birds fall. The only thing accomplished is killing 6 birds, that does not make you a HUNTER. So I say by keeping quiet and not handing a platter served hunt to young waterfowlers we are helping them. We are helping them by defining the true nature of duck hunting. Those of you who can't understand that as I have put it are just not going to get it, ever. I guess I should stop for I am getting long winded. My offer still stands for those of you newbies who want to learn how to hunt, HUNT, ducks. If your looking for a platter hunt then your not going to get it. If you want to learn then how to then by all means ask. I will give you all the tools in my toolbox. Someday somebody is going to ask where to go and another will respond with GPS coordinates to a truck stop in Buda, Texas.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: wal1809] #50899 01/24/06 02:17 PM
B
BarneySux Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Very well said waynelain. Very well said.

Re: Duck hunting in general.... [Re: BarneySux] #50900 01/24/06 03:17 PM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I have not commented on this thread, but I agree with Waynelain. very well said

Last edited by birddog14; 01/24/06 03:21 PM.

green is good
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide