Print Thread
Question for you electrical tinkerers... #5073004 04/16/14 04:02 AM
M
missingAK Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
My boy just got a little electric riding car (similar to a powerwheel) from his Grandma. Neat little thing that runs off a 6v battery and an electric motor. Almost like a deer feeder motor but a little larger. It has one "go" button and that's it. Push the button to go forward, let off to stop. The problem is that he keeps running into stuff and getting stuck because it doesn't have reverse.

I'd like to see about switching that switch out to a toggle switch that could make the motor turn in reverse. If I'm understanding correctly, It should reverse the direction of the motor by reversing the electric flow via the toggle switch.

Do they make something like this...and where can I get it? Would there be a better/easier way to do it that I'm missing? Let me know if that wasn't as clear an explanation in print as it is in my head.

Thanks, John

Last edited by missingAK; 04/16/14 04:02 AM.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5073227 04/16/14 12:19 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't see why it would be any different than a golf cart, but I'm certainly not an "electrical" person.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5073250 04/16/14 12:34 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Not sure how well the switch would fit but a rocker toggle switch should work. If it will fit on like this should work fine.

link

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5074359 04/17/14 12:02 AM
M
missingAK Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks for the link. Not sure if that will work but I might give it a try. The current switch is only there to complete the circuit. one wire in, one wire out. I was trying to avoid rewiring the whole thing. might have to go ahead and do it anyway.

Gonna have to find out if this motor is even reversible....

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Winston Churchill
Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5074545 04/17/14 01:34 AM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
Quote:
Gonna have to find out if this motor is even reversible....
up

If it is then buy you a dpdt switch:
https://www.carltonbates.com/Pushbuttons...CFUoV7AodmB0A2w

Power and ground wires to center post. then X across outer post and tie motor leads here. I will draw you a diagram if motor run backward when battery is reversed.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5074557 04/17/14 01:39 AM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy
gramps
Online Happy
gramps
Read the below for wiring diagram:

Quote:
The Double Pole Double Throw Switch
A simple way to think of this switch is imagining 2 SPDT switches side by side with the 'handles' attached to each other. Perhaps the most popular use for this switch is 'phase or polarity reversal'. So, how does the DPDT switch accomplish this? First, you have to wire the 2 'top' and 2 'bottom' terminals in a 'criss-cross' fashion. The top 2 terminals become the input and the middle two terminals become the ouput. Now, referring to the bottom left diagram, the switch is in the 'up' position, W & Y are connected, as are X & Z. The polarity is maintained because the input and output are directly connected. No problem seeing that right?

Now let's see what happens when the switch is in the 'down' position (right diagram). The + input goes from the 'W' terminal, down to the lower right and then up to the 'Z' terminal. The negative input goes from the 'X' terminal and out through the 'Y' terminal. See what has happened? With one flip of a switch, polarity has been reversed. What applications does this have? For one thing, electric guitar players use this type of switch to put one pickup out of phase with the other, producing a thin, 'squawcky', 'inside-out' kind of sound. In the 'old days' before 3 prong plugs, power switches on some electrical devices used this switching arrangement to switch polarity in case the plug was in the outlet the "wrong way".

http://www.1728.org/project2.htm

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5074708 04/17/14 02:41 AM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
We deal with DC powered switches all the time and I have seen toggle switches that will reverse the current, but I don't know exactly what they're called. The name "crossover switch" sticks in my head, but not sure if that's it or not. One thing you may want to check before installing a switch is the drive train(motor) supports. They are made to produce torque in only one direction, by reversing it, you may put more stress on the attachment points than it can withstand.

Allied Electronics has on office in the DFW area and they carry a truckload of different switches, and what they don't have in stock, they can order and have it for you in a day or two.
Good luck sir.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 04/17/14 03:01 AM.
Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5075133 04/17/14 01:33 PM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
FWIW, most of these have a selector (usually looks like a column shifter). I would bet that the flow can be reversed as they almost all use the same motor regardless of brand. The issue would come in the mechanical aspects that the gears were made to go one way and are usually weakly built.

Sometimes it's best to pretend it's a Ford and just get out and push. roflmao

Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5077386 04/18/14 06:13 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
1. What jeh7 above posted will work, and you WILL have to 'rewire' , but you can locate it DOWN by the motor/battery, and it will function as a FWD/REV switch, so it will be ok to have down there. Leave the current switch in place as a 'GO' switch. There will be 4 total connections, so keeping it closer to motor/battery will minimize the wire run lengths.

2. If you 'insist' on doing this to replace / eliminate the current switch, make sure you get a 'center off' DPDT switch (wasn't mentioned above), otherwise you'll have no off. This kind of switch is a bit harder to source than a standard dpdt, but they're out there.

Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: missingAK] #5077392 04/18/14 06:14 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Hammer and duct tape

Re: Question for you electrical tinkerers... [Re: Navasot] #5079725 04/20/14 06:45 PM
M
missingAK Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Hammer and duct tape

Nah...I'm already using the hammer and duct tape to fix the crap he's run over/into with the thing.

Thanks for the help guys.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide