Print Thread
Need some real advice from outfitters #4883983 01/03/14 04:55 AM
R
RoadBlock Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
So, I met an older gentleman, he is 75 and his wife is 70, they live alone on a 600acre ranch, surrounded by a tall elk fence. He runs a business selling elk hunts and he knows a lot about elk, he used to live in the elk hunting capital of the world, Craig Co. He has hunted everything from whitetail to Kodiak and everything in between, pretty much if it lives in North America he's hunted it. But he doesn't have a ton of experience with whitetail, no idea how to manage them. He has a very nice herd of whitetail living on the property with about 75 head of elk. I've seen pictures and sheds, and skulls of deer that have died. He has some very nice deer some up to the 160"+ range he thinks he may have some even bigger but I haven't seen any pics of anything that big, and a lot in the 130" to 140" category. He also has quite a few doe, some spike and some deer with some messed up gnarled looking antlers. He has lots of cover, several open fields, 3 ponds, large thickets of thick brush. It is near brownwood so there is a lot of hick scrubby type brush and tons of cactus. He runs protein year round and has some feeders that need to be set up properly, some work some don't, he has trail cams everywhere. He has taken me into his confidence and is letting me help him set things up and get things running. He is running the elk part nicely just needs a little help getting his name out there. He wants to start managing the deer herd, get feeders and blinds set up where hunters can come and hunt whitetail, and wants to start selling trophy hunts. I am going to help him but I need all the good, constructive advice I can get, about herd management, buck to doe ratio, stand placement. Things like that. I plan on using the spring and summer to get things set up, try and get good pictures of the deer we are working with, we plan on tilling up the land and planting several acres of food plots and the like. He has 2 tri-pod stands I plan to utilize and even want to set up some archery stands. Please give me all the advice you can. I'm going to brig my father in law into the loop and get his help, but bringing in someone else would be impossible, the old man has been burned by too many people claiming to "help" and then just killing what they want and keeping money from clients. I won't be taking a dime from him, no matter how many clients I get him, he is going to allow me and my wife to hunt as we like in exchange for help. If this all works out I should have a place to hunt next season and beyond. Please help with advice. Sorry for the long read. Ask any questions you need to get whatever info you need to help me. Thanks

Re: Need some real advice from outfitters [Re: RoadBlock] #4885495 01/03/14 10:01 PM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My advice: Contact TPWD biologist in your area. The wildlife biologist in the regions help out with deer counts, and can help set up management programs specific for your property. That would be the best place to start.

I don't THINK they charge for making management plans, but I do know they do free consultations on your property.

Re: Need some real advice from outfitters [Re: RoadBlock] #4885666 01/03/14 11:00 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If he has 75 head of Elk he is already overstocked. I may be wrong but I would doubt that TPWD is going to help with both Elk and deer on the place. Probably first tell you to get rid of all the Elk.

Re:turkey hunt guide [Re: RoadBlock] #5060774 04/08/14 11:22 PM
H
hrn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
will be in near houston april 17 18 19 for follow up dental work. if someone needs a person to call turkeys i would for free. i dont need to carry a gun. would love to help out for someone a child grandchild. 66 years old and from mississippi. if you need me call 601888 0263. have hunted turkeys since 1957.

hrn
Re:turkey hunt guide [Re: RoadBlock] #5060803 04/08/14 11:34 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Great advice on contacting TPWD. They will do it for free and I doubt you will find anyone more qualified.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re:turkey hunt guide [Re: RoadBlock] #5061144 04/09/14 02:32 AM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
hrn, what does your post have to do with the Topic?? Looks like you are getting some free advertisement. Probably better if you start your own Topic. Just saying.

Re:turkey hunt guide [Re: RoadBlock] #5062266 04/09/14 08:11 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would hire a biologist.

Don't know where the ranch is located, but find a good, private biologist and have him do an assessment of the herd and the property.

75 elk in 600 acres is too much IMO.

Feeders placement, blind placement, all that is secondary.

Once the biologist had a management plan in place, then you worry about everything else.

Only advice I have on that is buy top quality blinds and feeders, don't skimp on client comfort

If you need a Recomendarion on a biologist, pm me and I will give them to you

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide