Forums46
Topics538,279
Posts9,735,206
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5049454 04/01/14 10:19 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Funny thing how "love thy neighbor" these days often involves somebody who isn't your neighbor who just wants to use your land to hunt, fish, and 4 wheel, relationships that are not symbiotic, but parasitic.
Wow. Perfect.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5050064 04/02/14 04:29 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
Hopefully you stay on the place you have permission but if you dont all you can do is get your dog and get out.

Therein lies the whole problem with dog hunters...my dad fox and coyote hunted for 40 years. The last 20+ were in high fenced fox pens, so that he could enjoy hearing the dogs run without having to trespass. Unfortunately that became too expensive with the coyote trappers having to jump through hoops to be able to transport the yotes from the area they were trapped to the pens. Rising cost finally caused dad to hang up his passion. If you can hunt with complete permission from all landowners to be on their property, I have ZERO problems with dog hunters. If you're one of the guys who think "my dog went on that property, so I have the right to trespass and retrieve it" then I totally understand landowners & lease holders having a problem with it. Just my 2cents

I had a fella pass the house a few weeks back on a 4wheeler headed to the back of our property. I jumped in the truck and caught up with him about 500 yards in. He was retrieving his hog dog that had gotten away from him...1 1/2 miles away from here. I had no problem with him retrieving his dog, but informed him that next time he needed to stop at the house and ask for permission first. There's no sense in driving past someone's house without getting permission. How the heck was I suppose to know what he was doing? Common sense seems to be a thing of the past

Originally Posted By: aeb
On the other hand, the sounds of a hunt are beautiful music to a trained ear. It always amazed me how a hunter could give a Howard Cosell running commentary on the hunt from the music his dogs were making.

I'd love to go back in time and sit around a campfire and listen to the old hunters call every hound by name just from listening to their voices and distinguishing them from one another. Nothing quite like it...too bad that it isn't feasible these days

Originally Posted by East...
Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Sneaky] #5050307 04/02/14 01:29 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I don't mind coon hunters.

I dislike trespassers very much.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5051570 04/03/14 12:56 AM
N
NKBJ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Well, when I was little my uncles would take me coon hunting around Trinity County where Lake Livingston is now. We'd lay there in the night listening to the dogs run, watching sputniks come across the sky. Nowadays I don't much care about killing them. But I can call coon pretty good.

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: 817cd] #5052814 04/03/14 07:23 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: 817cd
I do not condone trespassing but it is frustrating to be kept off land that was previously permitted because someone moves in and buys 25acres and there's no trespassing/access through his "ranch" Just another product of the times and the population growth. The whole state is getting broken up into small properties with huge entry gates. Ridiculous how many gates and fences can be in one little place and how two neighbors with ten acres couldn't imagine stepping foot on their neighbors property or not having it fenced up. Loving thy neighbor is a forgotten practice especially when everybody is trying to be a harda** rancher. Today it's a whole different reason to keep people off your property.

That plus everybody is a deer farmer these days and apparently the deer are as sensitive as their children. Any other hunting, gun shots, unruly children, farts, frog rabbits, dog barking, or tractors humming will cause them to immediately leave your property and is the number one cause for "why I din't shoot a buck dis year".

Terribly sorry you're against private property laws that have existed in Texas since its foundation.

Yep, when a piece of land sells, there's a good chance the new owner that doesn't know you and owes you exactly jack squat isn't going to permit you the same enjoyment of their land as the previous guy that knew your family for 40 years.

Just sort of the way it goes.

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5052819 04/03/14 07:27 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I didn't see your 2nd and 3rd posts, 817. Seems like you have the right attitude.

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: cameron00] #5053006 04/03/14 09:57 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch okay, so whats the official view on coon hunters, gots tree ov's thems eaten me corn, i'm postaddic flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: 1860.colt] #5053069 04/03/14 10:41 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch okay, so whats the official view on coon hunters, gots tree ov's thems eaten me corn, i'm postaddic flag

You need to have a coon killin not a hunt. laugh

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5053320 04/04/14 01:06 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Oh how I wish I could hear a rolling bawl on a hot trail again.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5053582 04/04/14 02:41 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
" No way a person is going to run dogs and not get on land they dont have permission to be on. " Well then, don't run your dogs ! Because when you go get your dogs, you are TRESPASSING. Your doing what you didn't want this thread to turn into. Most of us do not want you on our land.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ranch Dawg] #5054211 04/04/14 03:28 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
" No way a person is going to run dogs and not get on land they dont have permission to be on. " Well then, don't run your dogs ! Because when you go get your dogs, you are TRESPASSING. Your doing what you didn't want this thread to turn into. Most of us do not want you on our land.

Pretty much sums it up.

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5054563 04/04/14 07:09 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I've always been against high fences, but now, I see one reason why some folks build them.

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: cameron00] #5059777 04/08/14 04:17 AM
G
GunsUpHunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: cameron00
For the record, I have people run dogs across my place all the time and I've never made the first effort to press charges. Just hacks me off that they seem to believe it's their right to do so because they happen to be chasing a hog/coon/elf.

Damn elf hunters. Worst kind of scum. Worse than coon hunters even. stir

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5060636 04/08/14 09:46 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have no problem with coon hunters or pig hunters who hunt on their own land.

[Linked Image]
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5070100 04/14/14 08:27 PM
T
taco bender Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
none, shoot all them corn thieven turds.

"Today is about playing like WE play! This day is about DOMINATING an opponent! This day is about being LSU, and taking a team by the throat, and choking the life out of them!" - Les Miles
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5070563 04/15/14 12:24 AM
H
Hogslayer5L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
My family owns a large ranch in Matagorda County. 20 or so years ago there was a family (old man and woman with their 2 young grandkids, i pressume) that met us at the gate one day and asked if it was ok for them to come fish in the creek thst runs through our place. We gladly let them in and later that evening they showed up with a ziplock of fillets and thanked us. After this happened a few more times we gave them the combination and said they could come fish whenever they wanted. Went great for years. They even planted a large garden on our place (with our permission) and would bring us preserves. From time to time there would be a new person there with them but nothing crazy. we trusted them with full run of the place. They kind of became the unofficial ranch hands and never asked for a thing out of the relationship other than fish and vegetables from their garden. Well after about 10 years the old man died.

After a while we noticed trash accumulating at their fishing spot and the garden went untended. The trash got worse and one day we showed up and there was 15 or so people fishing in their spot. Had never met one of them. That was the end of it. When we confronted them about it they yelled and cursed us as if we were in the wrong. We told everyone to get out and changed the locks. We told the old lady what happened and she apologized and was almost in tears over it. Said it was her sons and all of his fruends and kids and they had no respect for no one. We told her that if we were there she could call us and come over, but she was too ashamed of what had happened and declined.

After that we would constantly catch people trespassing , four wheeling, and even hunting without our permission. Had to send many of them to jail over it.

The point of my story is that if things would have stayed the way they were this family basically had 600 acres to do as they pleased, but because a few if them had 0 respect for anything or anyone, no strangers will ever be allowed to come fish again.

I think this is what has happened over the years all over. A few too many bad experiences has given us landowners a bad taste for people coming on our land. Its a shame but thats the way it is.

I dont think its the landowners attitudes that have ruined coon hunting, dog hunting, and general friendliness between landowners and non-owners. Its that people just arnt as respectful as they used to be and it will never go back to the good ole days.

Last edited by Hogslayer5L; 04/15/14 12:27 AM.
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5071064 04/15/14 04:24 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Exactly. There are landowners who have decided even paying deer hunters aren't worth the trouble and locking their gates to everyone. It's a lack of overall respect. I ran rabbits with beagles as a kid and young man. Enjoyed it as much as anyone. Fortunately rabbits don't roam too far before circling back to their home area. It's a shame that there are not as many places to run coon dogs, at least here in Texas. But there are places with the wide open places of public land you need for that. If you truly want to continue to enjoy that pass time perhaps you should consider moving to some place more accommodating to that.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Hogslayer5L] #5071326 04/15/14 01:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L
My family owns a large ranch in Matagorda County. 20 or so years ago there was a family (old man and woman with their 2 young grandkids, i pressume) that met us at the gate one day and asked if it was ok for them to come fish in the creek thst runs through our place. We gladly let them in and later that evening they showed up with a ziplock of fillets and thanked us. After this happened a few more times we gave them the combination and said they could come fish whenever they wanted. Went great for years. They even planted a large garden on our place (with our permission) and would bring us preserves. From time to time there would be a new person there with them but nothing crazy. we trusted them with full run of the place. They kind of became the unofficial ranch hands and never asked for a thing out of the relationship other than fish and vegetables from their garden. Well after about 10 years the old man died.

After a while we noticed trash accumulating at their fishing spot and the garden went untended. The trash got worse and one day we showed up and there was 15 or so people fishing in their spot. Had never met one of them. That was the end of it. When we confronted them about it they yelled and cursed us as if we were in the wrong. We told everyone to get out and changed the locks. We told the old lady what happened and she apologized and was almost in tears over it. Said it was her sons and all of his fruends and kids and they had no respect for no one. We told her that if we were there she could call us and come over, but she was too ashamed of what had happened and declined.

After that we would constantly catch people trespassing , four wheeling, and even hunting without our permission. Had to send many of them to jail over it.

The point of my story is that if things would have stayed the way they were this family basically had 600 acres to do as they pleased, but because a few if them had 0 respect for anything or anyone, no strangers will ever be allowed to come fish again.

I think this is what has happened over the years all over. A few too many bad experiences has given us landowners a bad taste for people coming on our land. Its a shame but thats the way it is.

I dont think its the landowners attitudes that have ruined coon hunting, dog hunting, and general friendliness between landowners and non-owners. Its that people just arnt as respectful as they used to be and it will never go back to the good ole days.

That's basically been my experience. If you give an inch, folks take a mile. I got tired of running into folks I didn't know who either were with folks I had given limited permission to or said so-and-so said it was OK. The last straw was a young man with permission to hunt hogs/does only taking a 3 year old buck.

So I had to lock it down. They gave me no choice.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Whats yalls view on coon hunters? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5071535 04/15/14 02:58 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
And then we're the bad guys for not letting everyone and their dog do as they please on our land. Land that they didn't lift a finger to buy or maintain. It's the typical mentality of Americans, these days. All the benefits with none of the work.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide