Print Thread
Puppy Food #4993458 02/26/14 03:17 PM
J
J. King Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Does it matter what food I am using for a 12 week old puppy? I've been using fromms gold large breed puppy and I'm running low, so before i buy another bag I just wanted to check. What have y'all had good experience with in the past?

Last edited by James King; 02/26/14 03:24 PM.
Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993478 02/26/14 03:23 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you're feeding other dogs just feed the pup what you're feeding them.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Puppy Food [Re: bill oxner] #4993483 02/26/14 03:25 PM
J
J. King Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I've just got this one. When am I supposed to switch to just regular adult food? Everyone says around 6 months.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993484 02/26/14 03:25 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Purina Pro Plan for Puppies up to six months old.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993521 02/26/14 03:34 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Yes it matters. Puppy food has higher fat content than adult food. If you can find it around you, go with Victor dog food. It's just as good as blue buffalo and the high end foods but not quite as expensive. When changing foods start by mixing the old food with the new food for about a week then go with all new food.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993538 02/26/14 03:40 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't worry about cost with just one dog. I'd go with one of the purina brands.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993581 02/26/14 03:52 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I've tried Victor & Pro Plan, didn't have good results with either. I switched back to Eukanuba and haven't regretted it a bit. It's not worth going cheap on dog food.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993719 02/26/14 04:47 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I'm currently feeding purina pro large breed puppy because that's what the breeder had him on.

He seems pretty healthy, other than excessively smelly gas. Also, I have to feed more than the suggested feeding amount to keep him from being too skinny. (I am going for faint visualization of the ribs).

At 8-9 weeks, he has been requiring 2 1/2-3 cups a day with 3 feedings. He acts like he is starving, which I guess most lab pups do. It seems like a lot of food for a 9 week old pup.

I'll be researching other brands when this bag gets low for the gradual switch. My adult lab does great with 4health brand.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993764 02/26/14 05:02 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I have fed Fromm in the past, along with trying Diamond Naturals, TOTW and Purina Pro. Probably a few others, but those are the ones I remember. My bird dogs have more endurance on the Purina.
They looked good on all the brands, but it was Purina hands down for endurance and less down time between hunts.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993778 02/26/14 05:08 PM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I have come to find out that there are so many opinions out there on ingredients and brands etc. I have spent way too much time trying to research and find what is best. Choose something that is of good quality, and good reputation. Make sure to not change food very much. I have made that mistake with my pup trying to find the very best. Just stick with the same so their bodies are used to it. All of the types mentioned above would be fine.

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: Puppy Food [Re: TXPride] #4993794 02/26/14 05:14 PM
Z
z3n Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Originally Posted By: TXPride
I'm currently feeding purina pro large breed puppy because that's what the breeder had him on.

He seems pretty healthy, other than excessively smelly gas. Also, I have to feed more than the suggested feeding amount to keep him from being too skinny. (I am going for faint visualization of the ribs).

At 8-9 weeks, he has been requiring 2 1/2-3 cups a day with 3 feedings. He acts like he is starving, which I guess most lab pups do. It seems like a lot of food for a 9 week old pup.

I'll be researching other brands when this bag gets low for the gradual switch. My adult lab does great with 4health brand.

LOL, my 6 mo old lab is still on 4Health Puppy and I'm feeding him 4-5 cups a day (4 feedings: 7am, 12pm, 4pm, 1/2 cup at 7pm when we're eating dinner) and he still acts like he's starving...

-z

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4993809 02/26/14 05:21 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
A lot of different opinions. Main thing is find a high quality food that is corn and grain free. Some foods will work great with some dogs and not with others. See what is best for your dog. Pro Plan is probably the worst food I've tried it made my dogs nails brittle, coat dull and stools loose. But as you can see others like it.

Ones I would try are Blue Buffalo, Loyal, Victor and Diamond Natural.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4995321 02/27/14 05:17 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
My puppy was very allergic to blue buffalo, had the runs for three days. Had to get tested for worms and giardia which all came back negative. Switched her food and very next day she was better. Finally got some sleep last night! I now hate blue buffalo.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #4995441 02/27/14 12:17 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Like stated above. Find a good quality food and then make sure it works with your dog. Watch the dogs eyes, hair, nails, energy, stomach (fat), and output (dog piles) and you will eventually find what works best for your dog.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: Jordan A] #4995447 02/27/14 12:23 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Jordan A
I have come to find out that there are so many opinions out there on ingredients and brands etc. I have spent way too much time trying to research and find what is best. Choose something that is of good quality, and good reputation. Make sure to not change food very much. I have made that mistake with my pup trying to find the very best. Just stick with the same so their bodies are used to it. All of the types mentioned above would be fine.

+1. KISS.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Puppy Food [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #4995452 02/27/14 12:32 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
My puppy was very allergic to blue buffalo, had the runs for three days. Had to get tested for worms and giardia which all came back negative. Switched her food and very next day she was better. Finally got some sleep last night! I now hate blue buffalo.

Some people are allergic to peanuts. So should we condemn all peanuts?

I am allergic to aspirin (and all salicylates). So aspirin should be removed from the pharmacy shelves?

Any individual dog can potentially be allergic to most any food component. So, what's best for your pup may not be the same for all pups. Trial and error will eventually turn up an adequate diet for your dog.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Puppy Food [Re: huck18] #4995469 02/27/14 12:48 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: huck18
A lot of different opinions. Main thing is find a high quality food that is corn and grain free. Some foods will work great with some dogs and not with others. See what is best for your dog. Pro Plan is probably the worst food I've tried it made my dogs nails brittle, coat dull and stools loose. But as you can see others like it.

Ones I would try are Blue Buffalo, Loyal, Victor and Diamond Natural.

I believe most veterinary nutritionists will tell you that dogs with food allergies are more likely to have issues with the protein source (beef, chicken, duck, fish) than to the carbohydrate source (corn, wheat, rice). The take-home here is that if you think your dog is allergic to a particular food, consider changing the protein source first, and the carbohydrate last.

Our 9-yr-old dog tends to develop allergies--skin and bowel issues--about every two years or so. He had done well on a chicken and rice diet for several years, but gradually became intolerant of it. So this past fall we gradually switched him over to a salmon and potato diet that seems to be working well....for now. In his case, he likely developed issues with the chicken, rather than the rice, but since the new diet agrees with him, we're going to stick with it.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: dawaba] #4996698 02/27/14 10:26 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dawaba

Some people are allergic to peanuts. So should we condemn all peanuts?

I am allergic to aspirin (and all salicylates). So aspirin should be removed from the pharmacy shelves?

Any individual dog can potentially be allergic to most any food component. So, what's best for your pup may not be the same for all pups. Trial and error will eventually turn up an adequate diet for your dog.

Haha just let me dislike them, I got no sleep and a hefty vet bill trying to figure out what was wrong with her!

Re: Puppy Food [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #4997322 02/28/14 03:42 AM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J

I hear the more expensive brands like blue buffalo can be richer thus causing issues for some dogs. I also believe that many people assume a food is bad when their dog has issues with it in the first few days, they end up dismissing it for bad food too soon when the pup hasn't had the chance to really adjust to it even if you slowly change their food. Sometimes the bad stool is just from the change, not necessarily the food. They could let the dog ride it out and see they end up being fine.

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #5038508 03/25/14 10:13 PM
Z
z3n Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Since my lab just hit his 7th month, I started migrating him from 4Health Puppy to an adult 4Health version... I bought small bags of Large Breed & Lamb/Rice (similar to Puppy)... of course he liked both...as he does with anything edible (the only things he won't eat are broccoli stumps & watermelon). I sprung $41 for the 35 lb bag of 4Health Performance and mixed it with the remaining Puppy I had and there has been no issues...

-z

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #5039476 03/26/14 01:25 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Blue Buffalo causes killer gas in my dog

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #5039519 03/26/14 01:46 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
With Blue Buffalo people either love it, or hate it.
It just depends on if your dog is able to digest it properly.
Some dogs can't handle it, even when slowly changed over to it.
They have off and on bouts of diarrhea for months, until the food is changed. Other dog never have a problem with it, and look great. Bottom line is you have to find what works for your dog.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Puppy Food [Re: RayB] #5039752 03/26/14 03:55 PM
Z
z3n Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Well, the gas coming out of my lab after switching to the 4Health Performance is pretty bad... I think I'm going to go back to 4Health Large Breed... I don't recall the gas being this pungent or frequent with that test bag...

Any other protips on minimizing gas out of these critters?

-z

Re: Puppy Food [Re: z3n] #5047140 03/31/14 05:27 PM
Z
z3n Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Originally Posted By: z3n
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Well, the gas coming out of my lab after switching to the 4Health Performance is pretty bad... I think I'm going to go back to 4Health Large Breed... I don't recall the gas being this pungent or frequent with that test bag...

Any other protips on minimizing gas out of these critters?

-z

Now that I'm 100% on 4Health Performance (the mixed in Puppy is gone) the gas issue has abated... I'm guessing it was the Puppy formula, which is the only consistent part of the equation.

-z

Re: Puppy Food [Re: J. King] #5047193 03/31/14 05:46 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just started my new pup on Purina Puppy Chow. Going old school. BTW, he loves it.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide