Page 1 of 2 1 2
Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court #5042298 03/28/14 12:55 AM
C
cazador1022 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
http://news.yahoo.com/man-successfully-argues-fifth-deer-killing-case-100210808.html

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/man-successfully-argues-fifth-deer-killing-case-100210808.html][/url]
for those too laze to click and read...the jist of it was based on the 5th amend right to NOT self incriminate by not answering the GM questions or answering evasively.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042308 03/28/14 01:03 AM
T
texasdude28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
How interesting.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042312 03/28/14 01:06 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My hat's off to him for taking a stand. ...even if he was guilty of other illegal acts he still has his rights.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042582 03/28/14 04:14 AM
B
bum Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Let's face it, a LOT of our constitutional rights are currently (or about to become) under attack.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042612 03/28/14 04:55 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I wonder how many thousands of dollars he paid to take his stand.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042776 03/28/14 12:57 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Let's face it, a LOT of our constitutional rights are currently (or about to become) under attack.

I don't know what there is to face, unless you have lived in a hole in the ground for the last 100+ years. When have they NOT been "under attack"? It isn't as if this was some new law recently on the books.

Contrary to the article in the OP, the law is hardly obscure, although it may be "little-known" as the article says because people don't read the regulations like they are supposed to do.

I am surprised somebody didn't have reason to challenge this sooner. Kudos for finally doing so.

Quote:
My hat's off to him for taking a stand. ...even if he was guilty of other illegal acts he still has his rights.

Absolutely. No let's hope that somebody works to get the law stricken.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042782 03/28/14 01:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The Texas statutes allowing cooler searches, etc. are subject to the same challenge. As many have said, the only reason laws like that stand is it is simply time/cost prohibitive to challenge them.

"Engaging in hunting or fishing activity" is NOT enough to form the basis of probable cause for a search, as those are not illegal (or even suspicious) activities.

I have had some in law enforcement say they have those rights anyway (under this theory or that theory). To which I reply, "Why do you need the statute then?"

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/28/14 01:07 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042869 03/28/14 01:59 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Remember, that was a case about a PA law in a PA court. Not so sure the same argument would work here in TX, and I'm not going to be dumb enough to try it.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5042931 03/28/14 02:31 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The Texas statutes allowing cooler searches, etc. are subject to the same challenge. As many have said, the only reason laws like that stand is it is simply time/cost prohibitive to challenge them.

"Engaging in hunting or fishing activity" is NOT enough to form the basis of probable cause for a search, as those are not illegal (or even suspicious) activities.

I have had some in law enforcement say they have those rights anyway (under this theory or that theory). To which I reply, "Why do you need the statute then?"

I've always wondered about that. Never seemed right to me.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5042967 03/28/14 02:49 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
So its ok to poach... as long as your protecting your rights.. other than that hang them all... got it

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: Sneaky] #5043015 03/28/14 03:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I've always wondered about that. Never seemed right to me.

The Constitutional standard is that probable cause is required for a search of any area that one has a "reasonable expectation of privacy". This has been defined to include dwellings and vehicles.

The general exceptions are pat downs during a reasonable detainment based on "suspicious activity" ("Terry stop") and items that are in "plain view".

The Texas statutes give GWs pretty broad authority to go on private property where wildlife is located or hunting/fishing activity could take place, search premises, and search containers "capable or that could be utilized to store any wildlife resource", among other things.

I believe many of those rights given in the statute are unconstitutional and would not withstand challenge, as the premises given fall far short of the "probable cause" requirement.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5043205 03/28/14 04:46 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It always sounded like a contradiction to me. I never had the nerve to test it, though.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5043640 03/28/14 09:12 PM
O
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I've lived in 4 states and have always heard, Game Wardens have more power than other agencies in the general duties they perform. I can understand it to a point, as wildlife they are responsible for, go where they please. And it 's fine with me as I don't have anything to hide.

That being said, the Constitutional Rights of individuals should always come first. Like it or not, that's the way it has to be in order for the Constitution to mean what it means.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5043766 03/28/14 10:31 PM
C
cazador1022 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
we have several GW on this site . I am sure they can shed some light on this issue.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: Navasot] #5043780 03/28/14 10:42 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: target1911

what a ridiculous statement.

Originally Posted By: Navasot
So its ok to poach... as long as your protecting your rights.. other than that hang them all... got it

haha, humans never cease to amaze.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: OldTexan] #5043786 03/28/14 10:46 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: OldTexan
That being said, the Constitutional Rights of individuals should always come first. Like it or not, that's the way it has to be in order for the Constitution to mean what it means.

so if it was a human body that was found on this guys place and he pleads the 5th, do you feel the same? "he's exercising his rights! give'em a beer!"

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5043909 03/29/14 12:09 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This case was about a Pennsylvania law that was forcing the individual to give up his 5TH Amendment rights. It seems the guy right so accepted the charges for poaching, but was charged for not answering a question asked by the GW.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: jshouse] #5043920 03/29/14 12:17 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: jshouse

I was thinking the same thing.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5044194 03/29/14 03:27 AM
S
StateGameWardenTX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S

The law in PA was a poorly written law and was not something I'd agree with. If you want to plead the 5th then go ahead.

The courts have ruled pleading the 5th can be held against you at your trial by a jury.

Many people keep interchanging the terms of an Inspection with the term Search.

Inspection authority is not probable cause related to a crime being committed. It is simply related to an activity taking place. Similar how commercial motor vehicles are subject to CVE Troopers doing a inspection. Or a Marine Safety Enforcement Officer doing a water safety check on a boat. TABC agent doing a bar check. Health inspector checking a restaurant.

Inspection authority has been challenged and appealed to the supreme court. The supreme court has upheld it.

Law Enforcement Off The Pavement - Serving Texans since 1895
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: StateGameWardenTX] #5044198 03/29/14 03:29 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: StateGameWardenTX

The law in PA was a poorly written law and was not something I'd agree with. If you want to plead the 5th then go ahead.

The courts have ruled pleading the 5th can be held against you at your trial by a jury.

Inspection authority is not probable cause related to a crime being committed. It is simply related to an activity taking place. Similar how commercial motor vehicles are subject to CVE Troopers doing a inspection. Or a Marine Safety Enforcement Officer doing a water safety check on a boat. TABC agent doing a bar check. Health inspector checking a restaurant.

Inspection authority has been challenged and appealed to the supreme court. The supreme court has upheld it.

Thanks for explaining it this way. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: Erathkid] #5044876 03/29/14 08:38 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: jshouse

I was thinking the same thing.

Several rights decisions from the courts have come from the bad guys defending their rights and as a result it has helped the rest of us. The classic example is Miranda v. AZ.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: dogcatcher] #5050344 04/02/14 01:45 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: StateGameWardenTX

Thanks for explaining it this way. up

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5050472 04/02/14 03:01 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Inspection authority has very strict parameters. There is a very good case to be made that the Texas statutes relating to GWs go well beyond those parameters. The Court has made clear that merely labeling otherwise prohibited conduct "inspection authority" will not fly.

The two biggest vulnerabilities of the statute IMO are 1)the blanket provision allowing GW to enter any private property that game animals may inhabit (which includes the vast majority of all property in Texas) and 2)the provision allowing searches of any receptacle that may hold game. Depending on the circumstances, both are subject to challenge.

For example, if a GW was sent onto private property as a "pretext" or if a cooler was in a camp house.

No question, however, that the statute controls unless and until the Courts say it doesn't.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 04/02/14 03:26 PM.

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: cazador1022] #5052238 04/03/14 02:06 PM
B
BowHuntinTX Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Do things right and you don't have to worry about getting searched or answering questions.

[Linked Image]

Re: Game Warden vs Farmer.....farmer wins in court [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5052259 04/03/14 02:12 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B

Exactly

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide