Forums46
Topics538,339
Posts9,735,963
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5026612 03/18/14 03:10 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So, it's OK to take a dump on the ground at camp, but it's not OK to dig a pit and take a dump in the pit? That's just crazy.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: Cast] #5026620 03/18/14 03:17 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Cast
So, it's OK to take a dump on the ground at camp, but it's not OK to dig a pit and take a dump in the pit? That's just crazy.

Basically, yes. I think it's crazy, too.

When I lived in New England for a few years and hunted, people actually used portable RV-style dump stations to carry their waste if they did not have a traditional, composting-style outhouse. Law enforcement was pretty strict on this even in rural Maine and New Hampshire!

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: Paluxy300blk] #5026664 03/18/14 03:47 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: MewshawTX
Originally Posted By: Cast

Basically, yes. I think it's crazy, too.

When I lived in New England for a few years and hunted, people actually used portable RV-style dump stations to carry their waste if they did not have a traditional, composting-style outhouse. Law enforcement was pretty strict on this even in rural Maine and New Hampshire!

Surprise the northeast the government is in everybody sh** literally apparently.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: don k] #5026692 03/18/14 04:10 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
I have an opportunity to take over a deer lease and trying to make up my mind if I want to make the switch or not. It has a bunkhouse, water, and electric. It does not have a septic system in place. The current guys have been using an outdoor toilet for years. I want to put an indoor bathroom and shower if I take it over. I know I can build a bathroom in a day but really don't know what to do with the septic. I don't want to spend a ton of money to pay someone to put a septic system in on a lease that I may not even stay on over a year or two. What do some of you guys do for a septic system?
If you are leasing then I would first ask the owner what they would allow me to do. This may have already been the answer, but I did not feel like wading through 5 pages of crap talk to find out.

I missed that you wanted a better answer before my last post but I think the answer is wait until you know if your going to stay there to do anything. Like renting a house why lease a place and improve only for the next guy or the LO. If you have to have a better bathroom rebuild the old outhouse or buy your own place and do everything the right way. Even if you just build a simple septic system and a bathroom you can build in a day your putting in close 1K in improvements that you will never see any benefit from other than better place to park your caboose on your weekend hunting trips. Like you said you might not even want to be there beyond this year. The landowner could kick you off at anytime unless you have a contract, he could have plans to tear the house down, or build a new one who knows or get sick of leasing all together, or let a family member hunt and you want out. Im not trying to be negative or stomp the idea but it just doesn't seem like a wise way to spend the money until you have less unknowns or a place of your own. If you have the money and don't care about blowing it just save it. The amount of times you sit on that toilet won't add up to justify spending that time or money. Nobody likes plumbing so if you do it make it right the first time so you don't have to screw with it or make it on the right piece of property so you don't have to start over.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5026790 03/18/14 05:05 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5027324 03/18/14 11:33 PM
W
wfontjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
good gracious read the law

Texas law does allow for an OSSF to be exempt from permitting if the OSSF:
不erves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger,
品s not causing a nuisance or polluting groundwater,
病ll parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line,
付he effluent is disposed of on the property, and
付he single family residence is the only dwelling located on the tract of land.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5028910 03/19/14 08:08 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Buy a $500,00 dollar motor home and carry it home with you or a $20.00 shovel. Think I would consider a new hobby.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: wfontjr] #5029019 03/19/14 09:41 PM
C
camartin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: wfontjr

Doesn't it also say it has to meet all these criteria? If there is more than one trailer hooked to it does it still meet the requirements listed? Also, unless it is actually built or installed as in a house or a mobile home, it would not be a single family residence. Would building a building and having it as a bathroom qualify? I ask because my Dad and oldest sister bought some land and the are looking for loopholes so they can do something cheap and I would like to know your interpretation as it differs from mine.

Last edited by camartin; 03/19/14 09:42 PM.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: camartin] #5030032 03/20/14 12:59 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: camartin
Originally Posted By: wfontjr

Doesn't it also say it has to meet all these criteria? If there is more than one trailer hooked to it does it still meet the requirements listed? Also, unless it is actually built or installed as in a house or a mobile home, it would not be a single family residence. Would building a building and having it as a bathroom qualify? I ask because my Dad and oldest sister bought some land and the are looking for loopholes so they can do something cheap and I would like to know your interpretation as it differs from mine.

That's correct.

1 trailer house and self-installed OSSF on 10+ acres = Allowed
2 trailer house and one self-installed OSSF on 10+ acres = Illegal
2 trailer house and two self-installed OSSF on 10+ acres = Illegal
2 trailer houses with permitted and properly installed OSSF on 10+ acres = Allowed

It doesn't matter if the above is 10+ or 10,000+ acres, the rule applies equally.

Below 10 acres, it must be a permitted OSSF.

A lot of folks put in an oversized septic and share it between two dwellings i.e. main house and "mother in law" trailer. Not legal in *most* circumstances. It can be done properly.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5030708 03/20/14 07:47 PM
B
BClineCoke Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
SSS (**** Shovel Silence)

Barrett Cline-Coke
Director of Operations
Champion Maintenance Group
469-358-6236
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5031208 03/21/14 01:07 AM
4K outdoors and taxidermy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I still vote cedar bush, dealt with the state inspecters a couple of times, bunch of folks that think they're way more important than what they are

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5031589 03/21/14 06:16 AM
J
joshua21 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I have seen the pit method work. Does get a smell to it though.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5033104 03/22/14 04:22 AM
H
HMK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Why not just chit on the ground. It will eventually dry up and blow away

back when we used to eat housecats we marinated them in louisiana hot sauce and soy sauce then season them with lemon pepper........then onto the grill slow cooking them 3 hours........excellent folded in tortillas and pico de gallo----Newgulf
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5033313 03/22/14 02:18 PM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I crap better squatting beside a tree way better than setting on a pot any day!!! Suck it up and go crap in the woods! What has this world come to when a man cant crap in the woods? Cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket to set on if you dont want any sticks poking you in the butt.....

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube 笘晢ク鞘晢ク鞘晢ク

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook笘晢ク鞘晢ク鞘晢ク
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #5033787 03/22/14 11:35 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
I crap better squatting beside a tree way better than setting on a pot any day!!! Suck it up and go crap in the woods! What has this world come to when a man cant crap in the woods? Cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket to set on if you dont want any sticks poking you in the butt.....

Tell your wife or grandkids that at 2am and see how that plays out. eek2

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5034262 03/23/14 12:29 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Posthole digger and portable outhouse and toilet seat. Works for the two of us. If the wife comes along I have to bring the toy hauler.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5034718 03/23/14 06:50 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Between crapping and pissing in the woods and not damming up creeks everyone is cracking up since deer season is over. Looks like it is going to be a long 7 months.

Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5034730 03/23/14 07:01 PM
Y
Yale Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Y
OP, if your lease is in the hill country, I can hook you up with a septic installer that will give you a turn-key package.

Every time you eat a steak, a hippy's hacky sack falls in the gutter.
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: BowSlayer] #5045414 03/30/14 01:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
There will be 7 guns total. I just hated to spend a ton of money putting in a full blown system for the first year not knowing if we will even like the place or not.

We do remote fly in trips to Canadian lakes every year and all use the same system in their cabins, 55 gallon plastic drums cut in half with 2 rope handles. Put about 4 inches of compost in the bottom and leave a bag beside it, when making a deposit you simply scoop out a little compost and cover it up, no smell and no mess. You can put this in an outdoor tent or modify the cabin so it can de removed from the outside. When full you take it away from camp, empty it and stack some wood over the top and burn it. Sure beat's mixing diesel with it and burning it in a steel drum. Just rig up a portable toilet seat to go over the top.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: don k] #5045833 03/30/14 06:56 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Between crapping and pissing in the woods and not damming up creeks everyone is cracking up since deer season is over. Looks like it is going to be a long 7 months.

Hey, ya get a little older and "Where am I going to sleep?" and "Where am I going to poop?" get to be a helluva lot more important than "Are the deer big enough that when I kill one it'll make my 'friends' envious on Farcebook?"

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: don k] #5045908 03/30/14 08:18 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
happy3

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: Paluxy300blk] #5053813 04/04/14 10:32 AM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Meshawtx, you assume that people here are going to turn in their neighbor.

Personally, as long as they are not bothering me, I could not care less what they do.

To the OP... go with the 2 barrels, don't go with them. There are plenty of links on here that show you how to build a septic that will work for you. Either go that route or go the route of hiring someone to do it legal for you.

Where I am, they charge at LEAST $25,000 to install a "septic system" that would make the county happy.

No way am I installing a septic system that cost almost as much as the cabin.

Totally up to you.

All the legal mumbo jumbo, we are not lawyers, but we can cut and paste legal stuff we find on the Internet. Go talk to a plumber, if ya like and they will set you straight, or at least sign off on it if you hire them.

GL!

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: What do you guys do for a septic system at deer camp? [Re: Creekrunner] #5053833 04/04/14 11:13 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
"Where am I going to sleep?" and "Where am I going to poop?"

Two very important questions when deciding on a hunt.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide