Print Thread
Feeder Placement Question #5023135 03/16/14 02:27 AM
C
coloneh97 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I have a question for you experts out there. My feeder is about 15 yards in front of my stand (this is a suburban/neighborhood bow hunting situation). Behind the feeder are several VERY active game trails. I wanted to move my feeder back about 10 yards. That would put it in the trails. Should I avoid disrupting those trails. The hogs and deer are finding the feeder currently?

I've added a hand drawn picture to help visualize it. Sorry it looks like a 1st grader did it, I used my iPad.

Last edited by coloneh97; 03/16/14 02:28 AM.

Originally Posted By: KC
Clearly God condones shooting stuff in the face or He wouldn't have created that...
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: coloneh97] #5023147 03/16/14 02:34 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Deer will find the feeder where ever you put it. I would be more concerned with placing the feeder where the prevailing winds don't carry my scent to the deer. Also I would worry about which direction the deer approach the feeder also if they would cross your scent.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: coloneh97] #5023213 03/16/14 03:39 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I wouldn't worry so much about the feeder, but about your stand location.

You should position your stand so that the feeder is upwind from your stand. You might also place an alternate stand to allow you to hunt if the wind changes direction.

I would also place a stand watching the trails since during the rut the bucks will be on the move and more interested in looking for does rather than looking for corn.

I've hunted suburban deer years back. It was property that was located directly across a busy road where the deer would be fed by homeowners in a well to do subdivision, and then they would venture across the road into the wild overgrown undeveloped side.
Those tame deer suddenly threw up all their senses on high and would turn inside out at the slightest noise or movement. It was hard to breath and try to draw an arrow with a deer only a few yards away. That was some of the hardest hunting I've ever done so pulling out all the stops when it comes to trying to outsmart them is critical to success. I used to pray for a windy day where the leaves rustled and my scent would be dispersed across the landscape and mixed with those scents from across the road. That was about the only time I scored.

Last edited by Jimbo; 03/16/14 03:51 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: stxranchman] #5023300 03/16/14 11:17 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Deer will find the feeder where ever you put it. I would be more concerned with placing the feeder where the prevailing winds don't carry my scent to the deer. Also I would worry about which direction the deer approach the feeder also if they would cross your scent.

X's 2

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: stxranchman] #5023434 03/16/14 02:32 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

This.........

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: coloneh97] #5023457 03/16/14 02:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
In addition to wind direction, I would consider light from a rising and setting sun so that you're not looking into it as it rises or sets. Trying to see in low light conditions with a lit horizon can be difficult. Sunlight shining directly into a box stand can also highlight you.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: Texas Dan] #5023970 03/16/14 09:30 PM
C
coloneh97 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
In addition to wind direction, I would consider light from a rising and setting sun so that you're not looking into it as it rises or sets. Trying to see in low light conditions with a lit horizon can be difficult. Sunlight shining directly into a box stand can also highlight you.

The stand is facing south. It is a box blind and I keep it pretty blacked out.

Clearly God condones shooting stuff in the face or He wouldn't have created that...
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: Jimbo] #5023974 03/16/14 09:36 PM
C
coloneh97 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

I would also place a stand watching the trails since during the rut the bucks will be on the move and more interested in looking for does rather than looking for corn.

I forgot that there is a tree stand not on this drawing. It is just west of the the proposed new feeder location (the box stand drawn is facing south). I have always been weary of hunting that tree stand because the only access to it is down the game trails.

My main fear is disturbing the trails and pushing the deer further away. Maybe I should leave well enough alone???

Thanks for y'alls input.

Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: coloneh97] #5027757 03/19/14 03:46 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
10 yards difference and in the suburbs, I think you would be fine moving the feeder if you want. The deer are likely used to the scent of people already. I wouldn't have the stand North of the feeder. Most buck rut activity that I see is when a cold Northern blows in. So wind is usually coming anywhere from the North to the West. If you are North of the feeder, the wind is at your back and headed to the feeder. If you keep the does coming in, then the bucks from outside the area will come in looking for or following a hot doe. The bucks from outside the neighborhood will not be used to human scent. I also like the bow stand farther from the feeder because it allows a little more movement in the stand. And with a South facing stand, you have sunlight coming through the window so more movement is seen.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: coloneh97] #5028245 03/19/14 02:45 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
something else to think about since this is in a suburban/neighborhood situation is taking a shot and having an arrow shot animal run to your neighbor's front door or back yard to bleed out ... Just something to ponder

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Feeder Placement Question [Re: coloneh97] #5028446 03/19/14 04:02 PM
S
SandyHunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
You should have marked where the houses or nearest regular human activity is taking place also!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide