Print Thread
Protein talk #5020205 03/14/14 12:03 AM
C
caprocker Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I'm going to put out a protein feeder this year for the first time ever. You guys that have been doing it for a while I've got some questions for you.

When do you start?
When you do start , how do you get the deer engaged or do they naturally fall in and chow down?
How high off of the ground?
Do coons eat up your protein?
Where do you like to situate your feeder?
When do you pull them off?

Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5020262 03/14/14 12:32 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: caprocker
I'm going to put out a protein feeder this year for the first time ever. You guys that have been doing it for a while I've got some questions for you.

When do you start?
I start the first chance I get when I put out a feeder. I feed year round.
When you do start , how do you get the deer engaged or do they naturally fall in and chow down?
I put a spin feeder in with the protein feeder. I mix 50# corn with 50# protein for the first filling of the protein feeder. Then protein only after that.
How high off of the ground?
32"-No feeder is coon proof if it is then it is deer proof.
Do coons eat up your protein?
Yes but I trap year round so they are a none issue for me.
Where do you like to situate your feeder?
Were the most deer activity is at the time your start.
When do you pull them off?
I feed year round to hold deer on my place. I think it save a few bucks every year.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Protein talk [Re: stxranchman] #5020282 03/14/14 12:46 AM
C
caprocker Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
When you say you put a spin feeder with it please elaborate..do you spin protein and corn or do you use a corn feeder near your protein etc.

Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5020413 03/14/14 02:18 AM
A
artrios60 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
When you say you put a spin feeder with it please elaborate..do you spin protein and corn or do you use a corn feeder near your protein etc.

Mix the protein with your corn and spin
I would also recommend you enclose with hog panels the protein feeder and spin feeder Large diameter area atleast 35-40'

As the deer get accustom to the protein location I would curtail the spin feeder To only a few seconds just so they remember the dinner bell

Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5020418 03/14/14 02:20 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I put a spin feeder in the same pen with my protein feeder. I spin corn only but mix the corn/protein for the first bag or so I feed out of my protein feeder. Once deer eat that mix then I go with protein only.

Re: Protein talk [Re: artrios60] #5020779 03/14/14 12:40 PM
C
caprocker Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: artrios60

I would also recommend you enclose with hog panels the protein feeder and spin feeder Large diameter area atleast 35-40'

As the deer get accustom to the protein location I would curtail the spin feeder To only a few seconds just so they remember the dinner bell

Are you using pellets?

Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5020802 03/14/14 12:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Are you using pellets?

DO you have a feed pen to keep out hogs, javelina and livestock? Throwing protein on the ground with them having access to it is same as throwing money away. Spinning protein on the ground is going to waste most of it. You can also have issues with protein clogging up spin feeders. This will greatly depend on your pellet quality, the amount you feed per feed cycle and the weather in your area.

Re: Protein talk [Re: stxranchman] #5022311 03/15/14 02:21 PM
C
caprocker Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I fully intend on building a hog panel pen around the protein feeder. My original plan is a gravity feeder in a pen..basically it. I really figured that throwing protein on the ground would give my coons more nutrients than my deer.

Are you using pellets?

DO you have a feed pen to keep out hogs, javelina and livestock? Throwing protein on the ground with them having access to it is same as throwing money away. Spinning protein on the ground is going to waste most of it. You can also have issues with protein clogging up spin feeders. This will greatly depend on your pellet quality, the amount you feed per feed cycle and the weather in your area.

I fully intend on building a hog panel pen around the protein feeder. My original plan is a gravity feeder in a pen..basically it. I really figured that throwing protein on the ground would give my coons more nutrients than my deer.

Last edited by caprocker; 03/15/14 02:22 PM.

Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5023242 03/16/14 04:25 AM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Buy some dog proof coon traps..start to thin the heard..or they will eat all of the protien..

Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5027808 03/19/14 04:24 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
This is on the property I live so I have access to the feeder all the time. I just mix corn and protein pellets together in my spin feeder. I only do it during spring and summer. I have found that the deer will start just eating the corn and then slowly switch to eating corn and then eating the protein after the corn is gone. After a short time they completely switch to eating all the protein first and then eating the corn. Only a couple of coons that are rarely seen and no pigs. Like mentioned before, the protein can clog the feeder if the feed inside gets wet. Once damp, it will clump, clog the spinner tube and mold. If that happens, all you can do is dump it all out. So you need a feeder that will stay very dry in rain and humidity. Mixing the corn and the protein helps to prevent the clumps from moisture.

For mixing the feed, I got a large 3' mixing bit from Lowes that attaches to a 1/2" cordless drill. I think it's made for mixing mortar or plaster.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Protein talk [Re: caprocker] #5028631 03/19/14 05:18 PM
C
caprocker Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
truth be known i am really leaning towards the boss buck 350lb protein feeder with some hog panels around it to keep the hogs off the tubes. maybe using some golden deer nugget to begin with and then phase in a 20 percent protein.

Last edited by caprocker; 03/19/14 05:18 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide