Page 1 of 2 1 2
School me on hog hunting #5016859 03/12/14 01:38 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
So I'm gonna be moving to the Victoria area for work in a few weeks & I'm pretty excited. I grew up fishing typical Midwestern freshwater fish & shooting typical Midwestern critters. I'm excited to add a pile of hogs to the list but I have no idea where to start. As far as firearms, I have an AR-15, just a little Bushmaster m4 but figure some heavier rounds should do the trick. Also have a 700 chambered in 25-06 if the ol' 5.56 is a little underkill.
So how does a guy go about finding hogs & getting permission to hunt em? What kinda areas should I be looking for? Do you spot & stalk, hunt over bait, set on stand? Are landowners usually pretty willing to let hog hunters on their property? Also, do they taste any good or do you just remove em from the property & dispose of em?
Any other words of wisdom or tips would be great!

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017036 03/12/14 03:15 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
The biggest shocker to you will be that landowners down here do not allow hunters on their property without paying for a lease.

Your biggest issue killing a hog will be gaining access to property that has them. Same with deer. You cant go knocking on doors and expect to gain access to a chunk of land that you can kill a deer without paying between $500 and $4000 a year.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017049 03/12/14 03:22 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
People actually expect you to pay to shoot hogs? That's disgusting. Coming from North Dakota, where you can hunt private property that is unposted without even asking the landowner, that just sounds ridiculous. I thought they'd just wanna get rid of em?

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017061 03/12/14 03:28 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
nope. I moved here from michigan and thought the same thing. its a whole different world down here.
People claim to hate hogs, and that they are a nuisance, but the landowners see it as a way to make profit. If you walk on "unposted" land in Texas you are liable to get shot. Private is private.

You can always knock on ranchers doors and ask, but dont expect to get a yes.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017101 03/12/14 04:01 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
My hunters pay for the exclusive right to hunt, fish, camp and goof off on my ranch. Wives, kids, grandkids....it is theirs to enjoy with no outsiders.

Last edited by aeb; 03/12/14 04:01 AM.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017176 03/12/14 05:24 AM
A
Adelbridge Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I love the outrage! Find a day lease and pay $100-$200 to hunt a lighted feeder that runs all year. You will be driven to a nice comfy blind and picked up in the middle of the night by a guy who can barely afford to fuel his truck. Your success rate will be 30x over 200 miles to some public hunting land and trial and error.
Texas is 90 privately owned and managing the land for game can be a crippling expense. We don't have water and crop land like the Midwest.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017376 03/12/14 01:17 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
People actually expect you to pay to shoot hogs? That's disgusting. Coming from North Dakota, where you can hunt private property that is unposted without even asking the landowner, that just sounds ridiculous. I thought they'd just wanna get rid of em?
its my experience that the only landowners who don't like hogs on their place are farmers. Everybody else is happy to have em. I'm happy as a clam that my place is covered up with pigs.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017559 03/12/14 02:54 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

Since it is free to hunt hogs in North Dakota, why not just stay at home and hunt them there? Oh wait, you don't have feral hogs. So you want something for free, LOL! You don't think we don't already have enough guns here willing to hunt????????? Texas already has plenty of hunters, especially those who want to hunt for free. In fact, Texas sells nearly double the amount of hunting licenses that your state has total population down to the last man, woman, and child. We have plenty of hunters, thank you very much.

Your judgmental ignorance as to our laws and ways of life will not garner you any favors here. Just consider all of privately-owned Texas pre-posted as to no hunting. Come with your hat in your hand when you knock on doors, offer to help mend some fences or muck out some stalls if you want to "hunt for free." And whatever you do, don't go around blabbering about what you do back home and how much better you think it is than here. There is nothing more disgusting than foreigners coming to Texas and telling us how we don't do things right like you do back home. If home is so good, then just stay there. And yes, if you aren't from here and have that attitude, then you ain't nothing but a foreigner. We already have an immigrant problem.

You sure as hell don't want to be caught poaching and it is poaching if you are hunting without permission.

Otherwise, enjoy your "free" hunting on all of our public lands. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: TFF Caribou] #5017560 03/12/14 02:54 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
...its my experience that the only landowners who don't like hogs on their place are farmers. Everybody else is happy to have em. ....

Rather broad brush!

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017570 03/12/14 03:00 PM
K
KillinSwede Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Fishuhalik- the first thing you need to do when you move to Texas is forget what you could do in North Dakota. I moved here from Fargo in 1986 and was surprised that no one here cares that I could trapes across unposted private property. After you get over that things are different you will slowly become aware of some of the many benefits to pay for the EXCLUSIVE right to hunt a property here in Texas. I can't begin to emphasize enough that folks here don't care about your opinions on deer feeders and access to private land. That being said, welcome to a free state. I wouldn't move back north for anything.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: aeb] #5017584 03/12/14 03:03 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: aeb
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
...its my experience that the only landowners who don't like hogs on their place are farmers. Everybody else is happy to have em. ....

Rather broad brush!

Yes it was. Probably too broad. I guess what I meant is, most hunters seem to enjoy seeing hogs on their place. I don't hear many people complain unless they are destroying crops.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: ishootspoonies] #5017611 03/12/14 03:15 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Some of yall just sound butt hurt... don't blame the guy for wanting to make a $. Blame the ones paying the money to shoot a pig.

Get out and meet some folks maybe help them out when you can then see if yall can work on hunting rights... iv got rights to over 6,000acres in the county and pay nothing to hunt pigs... iv also known these LOs for a good while and they trust giving me the keys to their place for that reason... would you just openly hand your keys off to the next joe coming up knocking on doors for free?? Especially when he could get his grandkids, kids, local trapper or hog dogger to take care of it whenever he wants... rolleyes

Don't believe everything you hear.. some places are worse than others when talking about pig problems and farmers vs weekenders.... and your headed to a good area to find some real farmers.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5017642 03/12/14 03:27 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Since it is free to hunt hogs in North Dakota, why not just stay at home and hunt them there? Oh wait, you don't have feral hogs. So you want something for free, LOL! You don't think we don't already have enough guns here willing to hunt????????? Texas already has plenty of hunters, especially those who want to hunt for free. In fact, Texas sells nearly double the amount of hunting licenses that your state has total population down to the last man, woman, and child. We have plenty of hunters, thank you very much.

Your judgmental ignorance as to our laws and ways of life will not garner you any favors here. Just consider all of privately-owned Texas pre-posted as to no hunting. Come with your hat in your hand when you knock on doors, offer to help mend some fences or muck out some stalls if you want to "hunt for free." And whatever you do, don't go around blabbering about what you do back home and how much better you think it is than here. There is nothing more disgusting than foreigners coming to Texas and telling us how we don't do things right like you do back home. If home is so good, then just stay there. And yes, if you aren't from here and have that attitude, then you ain't nothing but a foreigner. We already have an immigrant problem.

You sure as hell don't want to be caught poaching and it is poaching if you are hunting without permission.

Otherwise, enjoy your "free" hunting on all of our public lands. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/

Wow, thanks for jumping down my throat & making me feel so welcome. Sorry, but the transition's gonna take some getting used to. I grew up in MN, & their trespass laws are the same as TX. However, if someone had a nuisance beaver or coyote problem (nowadays its timber wolves) anyone was welcome onto our property to take care of the problem. Charging them for access didn't even cross anyone's mind. I did alot of beaver & yote trapping in hs & the only people that turned me down were fellow trappers. I would usually drop off some venison sausage or offer to shovel a few driveways or mow some yards, but no one ever expected it. Not saying one is right and one is wrong, it just seems a little greedy from an outsider's perspective. But I'm not gonna try to change anything. This is your state & I'll try to blend in as best I can, even with my MN "oofda" accent smile when I get the itch to just go wondering across broad expanses of land without worrying about crossing a fence, I'll take a trip to NoDak smile

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017685 03/12/14 03:47 PM
K
KillinSwede Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Think of this forum as a "virtual campfire." It's hard to convey a simple shaking of the head so words are used to be more direct. I grew up on a dairy farm in mid-Minnesota and we posted our property. Liability was a major concern with my dad. You are moving to the greatest state in the US. You will love it here- play along with the new set of rules you encounter here and give it a few years. Everybody here has heard all the stories of seemingly free range hunters have all over the country- it's not the case here. one other quick tip- quit swearing so much. I learned that the hard way too.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017687 03/12/14 03:48 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Quote:

Wow, thanks for jumping down my throat & making me feel so welcome. Sorry, but the transition's gonna take some getting used to. I grew up in MN, & their trespass laws are the same as TX. However, if someone had a nuisance beaver or coyote problem (nowadays its timber wolves) anyone was welcome onto our property to take care of the problem. Charging them for access didn't even cross anyone's mind. I did alot of beaver & yote trapping in hs & the only people that turned me down were fellow trappers. I would usually drop off some venison sausage or offer to shovel a few driveways or mow some yards, but no one ever expected it. Not saying one is right and one is wrong, it just seems a little greedy from an outsider's perspective. But I'm not gonna try to change anything. This is your state & I'll try to blend in as best I can, even with my MN "oofda" accent smile when I get the itch to just go wondering across broad expanses of land without worrying about crossing a fence, I'll take a trip to NoDak smile

roflmao
Thanks for my morning laugh!!

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5017719 03/12/14 04:01 PM
X
Xman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
X
Quote:

WOW! Catch your breath and relax. So much for Texas hospitality. I was also shocked to find out how difficult it is to hunt hogs in Texas. Don't listen to this grump. Keep an opened mind and work through the process and you'll eventually find what your looking for. I met two guys in Dairy Queen in Coleman that both told me to kill all that I can. It all depends on the owner. I have also found that on some occasions, if I should happen to spot pigs in a field from the road and knocked on the door, I could get permission sometimes. Not everyone in Texas is looking to retire off a nuisance animal.

When I was living in Wyoming and in Nebraska, it was not uncommon to pay a small "access" fee to hunt on the land. By that I mean less that $100. I was surprised to see that Texas also has a law against bullets crossing property lines. It is customary NOT to deliberately shoot game across a fence on a neighbors property without permission, but I've never heard of it being a form of penalty for trespassing.

Last edited by Xman; 03/12/14 04:27 PM.

Shoot ... Reload ... Shoot ... Call 911
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017733 03/12/14 04:08 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
... where you can hunt private property that is unposted without even asking the landowner.....

You will fit right in with the hog doggers!

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017822 03/12/14 05:03 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Welcome to Texas brother.

As you can see it's a little different down here; but keep an open mind, talk to as many people as you can, dont vote democrat, and you should be just fine!

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Xman] #5017908 03/12/14 06:01 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Quote:
I was surprised to see that Texas also has a law against bullets crossing property lines. It is customary NOT to deliberately shoot game across a fence on a neighbors property without permission, but I've never heard of it being a form of penalty for trespassing.

I thought this was the case everywhere? I'd never consider shooting a critter that was sitting on someone else's land if I didn't have permission to be on their property. I passed on the biggest bull moose I've ever seen cuz it was walking across a field that was posted.

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5017919 03/12/14 06:10 PM
C
Chris001 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Welcome to TX!! I have been here for just over a year, moved out from California. So far im loving it. Everyone isnt in it for the money.I was able to meet a land owner that lets me use his 100 acres for free, thats right not a penny. It does have hogs on it but not a whole bunch. They seem to show up when im not around...my camera has caught 7 at one time then they seem to vanish. I have also payed for them as well and that is some fun ill tell you. Its all good....remember im from CA and a hog hunt their would cost 800 to 1000 bucks at Tejon Ranch.

Chris
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5018706 03/13/14 02:06 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
So I'm gonna be moving to the Victoria area for work in a few weeks & I'm pretty excited. I grew up fishing typical Midwestern freshwater fish & shooting typical Midwestern critters. I'm excited to add a pile of hogs to the list but I have no idea where to start. As far as firearms, I have an AR-15, just a little Bushmaster m4 but figure some heavier rounds should do the trick. Also have a 700 chambered in 25-06 if the ol' 5.56 is a little underkill.
So how does a guy go about finding hogs & getting permission to hunt em? What kinda areas should I be looking for? Do you spot & stalk, hunt over bait, set on stand? Are landowners usually pretty willing to let hog hunters on their property? Also, do they taste any good or do you just remove em from the property & dispose of em?
Any other words of wisdom or tips would be great!

Fish, here is probably the best advice you are gonna get on moving to Victoria.
#1 Get your move done.
Unless you have a company that is doing your relocation or you are bringing an RV, its gonna be a beotch. There is very [b]very[/b] limited housing here.
#2 Get your work schedule down.
I see guys (18 to 60) getting their a$$es run into the ground working 70 / 80 / even 100 hours a week.
#3 Depending on what area you end up living in, the territory is diverse.
There is no need to travel very far to hunt.

Then.... work on hunting.
BK

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5018784 03/13/14 02:37 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Sounds like a plan kbar! I've been working 85-125 hours a week for the last 2 years. I'm used to it. I've already got the schedule down. I'm working 14 days on 7 off. & as far as moving goes, I'll be bachin' it until June, then my fam comes down. The company's gonna pay for my housing for the first month at a hotel til I can find my own place. When the fam does move here, I'm just gonna pay a moving company. I don't have time to do it myself! So now that all that's outta the way...lets do some hunting & fishing!
So back to the original topic...when I acquire access to some land wink how do I go about hunting these critters? What does a noob need to know?

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5018788 03/13/14 02:38 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Btw, nice to meet a fellow Victorian! If you're ever interested, I'd love to buy you a cold one sometime & pick your brain

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5018962 03/13/14 04:33 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
once you get access to land with hogs on it, the easiest way to kill them is under a corn feeder. there are plenty of other ways..dogs, traps, nightvision, helicopters... but under a corn feeder first thing in the am is the cheapest and easiest way to get started

Re: School me on hog hunting [Re: Fishuhalik] #5019672 03/13/14 05:57 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I don't have a sure-fire recipe for anything, and that particularly applies to finding a place to hunt. However, once you get settled in and have your work routine established, you should make it a point to casually mention on occasion to your coworkers that "If you guys ever hear of anyone who has a hog problem and wants them hunted, please let me know. I'd sure be interested."

You obviously don't want to be a pest, but allow it to come up in conversation when it seems appropriate. If someone else is discussing deer hunting, bring up your interest in hog hunting.

I'm lucky. I have a long-time friend who bought several hundred acres of mostly wooded land a little over an hour away from where I live. He's given me a key to the place and told me to treat it like I owned it. I get his tractor and mow along the fence lines, I repair fences, I check on the gates and the cattle a neighbor runs on the place, etc. If I see hogs, I shoot 'em! Over the years I've met several of the neighbors and after a while a couple of them told me "If you see hogs on my place, shoot 'em!" To a large degree it's all about personal relationships which may take a while to build, but if you keep at it you just might get lucky, too.

I have two unwritten rules:
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide