Page 1 of 2 1 2
Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... #4996635 02/27/14 10:08 PM
S
stevefromtyler Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I wanted to share my experience with you guys about Champion, whose main office is in Jewett, but had a processing (joke) plant in the old J&S plant near Streetman...they called me to pick up my deer after I inquired thru December and January...finally I got it in February, and last Saturday decided to have some deer tacos...the meat started thawing and stunk up the whole house...I thawed some of each cut...it was all rancid...I feel they knew it was bad, reading all the horror stories online about them (after the fact), and they still delivered it and took my money...These crooks could have hurt someone with this rancid carp...I am dead set on ruining their reputation for not trying to make it right and for selling me bad meat...I had deer number 1..first one in on opening day...I should have known when they had to borrow my sawsall to cut off my antlers...seemed shaky at best, but I can't believe the almost malicious actions of selling this stuff...they had to destroy alot of meat according to other accounts of the health dept...I am calling the health dept. and turning this over to them. I am also looking at civil charges...I spent alot of money preparing for hunting season and it was all wasted...Don't do business with Champion meats of Jewett or Streetman...I will be researching the owners and posting their endeavors so we don't get burned on some other front...Here is a link to another thread...

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434430

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4996659 02/27/14 10:16 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
WOW. Sorry to hear. Thanks for the headsup and keep us updated on the outcome.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4996702 02/27/14 10:27 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Just remember dont burn bridges !
Did you take good care of your deer before it got there ? that has a lot to do with the outcome of the meat .I am not defending but i have been around a deer processing plant for a very long time and that is one of the main reason why your meat goes bad but there are somethings that they can do wrong as well.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4996727 02/27/14 10:38 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I have a friend who had a boar processed, when they tried to cook the meat,it literally caused such a bad odor, all the meat was dumped. Maybe you got someone else order.
In our area 2 weeks is all it takes to get your deer back.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: Wilhunt] #4996739 02/27/14 10:43 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
I have a friend who had a boar processed, when they tried to cook the meat,it literally caused such a bad odor, all the meat was dumped. Maybe you got someone else order.
In our area 2 weeks is all it takes to get your deer back.

Was it a big boar?

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4996751 02/27/14 10:47 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Who the heck eats wild pigs barf every one i have even poked a fork in is nasty smellin an tastin.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4996949 02/28/14 12:33 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
The deer was dead maybe 30 minutes when I delivered it...I had to wait on legal light...I was the first one there.. 1st deer there for the year...Kenneth, did you even look at the link under my rant? Lots of people got burned...I have never mishandled any meat or fish in my LIFE...I know how important quick cleaning and hanging of deer is...read the post. The health dept made them destroy 60 at least...and if mine was destroyed, being first in the freezer, whose meat do I have, and why is it rancid...I mean putrid...just dead rotten rank...?????

here is another link besides the one listed in the orig post...
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4995572/1

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4996967 02/28/14 12:42 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I don't think them not calling me back is just bad luck...It is an admission of guilt..J&S put some bad fat in some burger a few years back, and went over the top getting me a new orders worth, on the next day...I have a whole deer of jack rancid puke deer meat that I cannot get any one of authority other than a receptionist that "guaranteed" me for three days I would get a call...guess what? NO CALL today either...Champion is a JOKE...and if I am burning a bridge, I dang sure hope it stays burnt...don't need a shoddy bunch of numbskull greenhorns destroying our resource...Its an outrage and a shame...there should be fines from the state and mandatory restitution...a deer usually requires a thousand bucks after gas, corn, travel, plowing, plots, stands, cameras, and time....that is a conservative figure, and to steal that from me and not return my calls...Just beyond anything I have seen from people that deal in the outdoor business..EVER...

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997071 02/28/14 01:46 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Do it yourself from now on.

The only time I will now have a critter processed is if I want jerky or sausage. .....and that is only because I am not set to make those yet...YET.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997181 02/28/14 02:29 AM
T
The Big Ragu Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
we process our own...it takes some time,but i know the deer was handled properly from the shot to the table...sorry you had such bad luck...

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: The Big Ragu] #4997184 02/28/14 02:31 AM
B
bigpigtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: The Big Ragu
we process our own...it takes some time,but i know the deer was handled properly from the shot to the table...sorry you had such bad luck...

This

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997188 02/28/14 02:32 AM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
This is why we do all of our own except ground or breakfast sausage. We quarter, debone, cut, wrap, vacuum seal and the leftovers go to the processor for grinding.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997227 02/28/14 02:56 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You have to question the quality of the meat after almost three months.
If it hung for that long it is rotten
If is was frozen, thawed to process, and then refrozen, not a good idea.

I have used three different processors depending on what I am looking for. I have asked them all the same question "do I get my meat?" They say "yes" but will admit that sausage is a toss up whether or not the meat is your or not (and I have began to question the rest of the meat). I do not want someone's bad deer, I want mine. So I do my own processing now.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: The Big Ragu] #4997277 02/28/14 03:16 AM
E
EricShelton Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: The Big Ragu

This. We made a large investment this year on top quality tools. From knives to slicer,grinder,stuffer,sealer,etc. IMHO, its the only way to really know what you're eating.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997406 02/28/14 04:25 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Navasot...the boar was probably around 125 lbs. I am guessing. Have always heard the limit on boars was around 150 lbs.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997574 02/28/14 11:07 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Lesson learned. Thanks for listening.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997871 02/28/14 03:23 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've seen too many horror stories over the years and experienced one personally when it comes to processors. My experience was harder to take because I knew better and used one anyway and got burned so I blame my own stupidity.
Anyway doing it yourself isn't that hard, and Cabela's sells small grinder/stuffers in different sizes that will pay for themselves in one deer season.
A couple of people on one Saturday can do two or three deer pretty quick.
I won't mislead you and say you won't be tired when you are done, but at least you will have the satisfaction that it's done right!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4997912 02/28/14 03:52 PM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I used to do my own...sold my equipment when I discovered how good a job J&S did...didn't know they weren't running the shop when I got there..It was amateur hour and I should have left when they borrowed my sawsall to cut off horns...the people were complete dunces looking back...I am going to continue to persue this though...and I will be posting owners name when my family gets the info for me...they don't need to be doing anything with food ever again, and I have enough spare time to see to it that they fail...It will be my pleasure..

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4998534 02/28/14 08:59 PM
O
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I guarantee I'd do the same if some idiots ruined my meat.....Burned bridge, ridiculous. Who'd want give 'em a second chance. Putting the word out means they can't mess up anyone else's stuff. The health department needs to shut them down.

My Dad processed deer for years. Never should you have more than a couple weeks wait on your meat. And all the folks I hear about not getting their own meat back, is just poor operating procedure. Keeping each animal separate is simple.

3 months is unbelievable. The meat likely rotted in the cooler. Never should have been froze prior to processing in my opinion.

Stick it to these idiots anyway you can and get them run out of a business they have business being in!

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4999343 03/01/14 01:38 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
you can process your own deer with a knife, why would anyone pay for that is mind boggling. its not like a cow where your going to get all sorts of cuts, at most youll get hind steaks.
i hang my deer skin it and debone, i dont even gut it. takes me maybe 30 -40 minutes, put it on ice bring it home then cut up further and package, the hind gets cut into 1/3rds, back strap, neck meat and shoulder meat. packaged, marked and put into freezer, bout another hr of wrk.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #4999929 03/02/14 12:09 AM
T
texasdude28 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I agree with everyone else who recommended the do it yourself route, much better that way and saves you money.

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #5000820 03/02/14 05:33 PM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
It's not going to be so easy for me, having had three shoulder surgeries...but I will be taking care of it myself...I prefer to let my deer hang in a cooler for at least 2 days before processing and my buddy no longer lives close by with the big cooler, so I guess I will put it in a little cooler and ice it for a few days before processing..its always so dang hot around opening day...I don't care about whether I am stupid for having my deer processed, The fact remains that a processor who handles meat for public consumption did this...it's their responsibility to be careful with the product...word is they were forced to destroy 60 carcasses...my point stands...and my deer was the first one they got...so how come it wasn't destroyed...it is obviously rank rancid in the worst way...vulture puke...Judge me on my choice to have it processed? Fine...But giving me product that I chose to pay for that could make me and my family ill should be a crime...I will be posting the name of their Jewett facility and more info later after I speak with some connections in Fairfield...

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #5000852 03/02/14 05:48 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You will want to check into small claims court. Good luck!

To be determined
Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #5001113 03/02/14 08:49 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sorry to hear about your situation with that processor. I don't have the time or enjoy processing my own meat so I take mine to a processor I have trusted for over 10 years and still does great work for me. The $65 charge to process it for basic cut and wrap is well worth it to me and I get my meat back in no more than two weeks at the latest. Usually its about 7-10 days.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Champion deer processing..Rip off alert... [Re: stevefromtyler] #5001480 03/03/14 01:10 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
J&S was never more than a month..Seems bad business has crept into even the most hallowed of good ole boy circles...Sad times indeed..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide