Page 1 of 2 1 2
stock tanks #4974178 02/14/14 07:54 PM
B
bentman Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I have 4 small staock tanks and 1 nice size pond that I shoot ducks off of every year. There is 1 tank that I shoot mostly baldpates. Does anuone know if the same vbirds come back to the same ponds evey year?

If it bleeds I can KILL IT
Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4974191 02/14/14 07:59 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yes

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4974363 02/14/14 09:44 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Don't tell my lease mates but I think maybe hunting 8 days in a row in 2012 killed our 2013 hunts for this reason laugh

Re: stock tanks [Re: Dave Speer] #4974368 02/14/14 09:46 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Don't tell my lease mates but I think maybe hunting 8 days in a row in 2012 killed our 2013 hunts for this reason laugh

what killed it this year?

and it wasnt 8 days in a row, it was 8 out of 9 days wink

Last edited by garrett; 02/14/14 09:46 PM.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: stock tanks [Re: garrett] #4974384 02/14/14 09:52 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: garrett
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

what killed it this year?

and it wasnt 8 days in a row, it was 8 out of 9 days wink

Originally Posted By: bentman
Does anuone know if the same vbirds come back to the same ponds evey year?

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4974424 02/14/14 10:16 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I don't think they do but I'd like to see the data off the birds with the transmitter in their back!

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4974642 02/15/14 12:59 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Maybe.

[Linked Image]

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4974739 02/15/14 01:58 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Their ducks, not rocket scientist

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: stock tanks [Re: garrett] #4974780 02/15/14 02:21 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I know some at least come back to the exact same area every year. My friend shot 2 banded green wings in a week that were banded on a refuge next door to where he was hunting. This was in southeast texas and should go without saying but they definitely were not local birds

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4974939 02/15/14 03:47 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I have 4 small staock tanks and 1 nice size pond that I shoot ducks off of every year. There is 1 tank that I shoot mostly baldpates. Does anuone know if the same vbirds come back to the same ponds evey year?
Happy hour post? I sure hope they do! We are pouring the cracked corn to them right now. 1 ac. tank holding 90+ birds right now( pins,wids,and greys in that order).

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: stock tanks [Re: john paul] #4975120 02/15/14 08:27 AM
M
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: john paul
I know some at least come back to the exact same area every year. My friend shot 2 banded green wings in a week that were banded on a refuge next door to where he was hunting. This was in southeast texas and should go without saying but they definitely were not local birds

What does that prove? I believe that there are a lot of birds "residentials" that never leave the general area. Teal love the warm weather like in south Texas. Hell I've seen teal while bass fishing in June and July here in north texas. What about all the Mallards and Canada's killed up north. I saw some pics this year from hunts where they killed 7 or 8 bands in a single hunt, and only miles away from the banding location. If it was consistent bands killed each year from the exact same banding location 1000s of miles away that's one thing, but what data do you get from a bird banded right next to the banding location. The bird didn't get to prove anything as far as migration patterns go. I guess im just narrow minded and maybe alittle loco from duck withdrawals, but I don't think they take the exact same path every year. Flyways maybe but the same exact route and stopping points just seems far fetched. The only thing for sure is they start in the north and end up in the south, that is if all the guys with neck problems from lugging around all that aluminum on their lanyards leave any for us.lol soap

I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4975136 02/15/14 10:15 AM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
They might if you miss roflmao

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: stock tanks [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4975332 02/15/14 02:58 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

What does that prove? I believe that there are a lot of birds "residentials" that never leave the general area. Teal love the warm weather like in south Texas. Hell I've seen teal while bass fishing in June and July here in north texas. What about all the Mallards and Canada's killed up north. I saw some pics this year from hunts where they killed 7 or 8 bands in a single hunt, and only miles away from the banding location. If it was consistent bands killed each year from the exact same banding location 1000s of miles away that's one thing, but what data do you get from a bird banded right next to the banding location. The bird didn't get to prove anything as far as migration patterns go. I guess im just narrow minded and maybe alittle loco from duck withdrawals, but I don't think they take the exact same path every year. Flyways maybe but the same exact route and stopping points just seems far fetched. The only thing for sure is they start in the north and end up in the south, that is if all the guys with neck problems from lugging around all that aluminum on their lanyards leave any for us.lol soap

Yes you are right, we have a huge resident green wing teal population. I forgot that you hunt and fish year round down here. I should have known that you of all people would know about our resident green wings. Might I add, both birds were banded during the WINTER not SUMMER. confused2

How about this one for you. I shot a mallard in Carnegie, OK that was banded at a refuge in North Dakota. (Ill have to find the certificate to tell you the exact name). Anyway, the day I shot it, a friend of mine was hunting around the same area and he asked where it was banded. I told him North Dakota and before I could get the name of the refuge out he said not only the name of the refuge but the name of the bander! He has 3 bands from the same bander and from the same refuge, all killed within 10 miles of where I killed that bird. What does that prove? popcorn

When I say "exact same area" I obviously don't mean a 1/4 acre pond. I would define exact same area as within a 10 mile radius.

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4975453 02/15/14 04:15 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So the ducks left the refuge in the Dakota's and flew Down to the same area...what about the year after? Did you shoot another band from that refuge?

Re: stock tanks [Re: garrett] #4975464 02/15/14 04:25 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
So the ducks left the refuge in the Dakota's and flew Down to the same area...what about the year after? Did you shoot another band from that refuge?

No I did not. The 3 bands my friend killed from that same refuge were over a period of several years. None of them were killed the same year I killed mine.

Re: stock tanks [Re: john paul] #4975470 02/15/14 04:28 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
So my conclusion is that birds were coming from that refuge in North Dakota to the Carnegie, OK area year after year

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4975776 02/15/14 09:01 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You should have just sai that to begin with

Re: stock tanks [Re: john paul] #4975782 02/15/14 09:12 PM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If you look at the radio tracking studies birds absolutely go back to the same areas. Not only to the same general vicinity but often to the exact same areas.

This changes heavily on species. Birds like eiders, brant will often nest and winter in the same exact area year after year.

I have a friend that shoots 2-3 jack miner bands every yr on his club in AL. The folks at jack miner said that the majority of their bands are recovered every year in an 80 mile area.

Anecdotal story. I watched a group of goldeneyes in a river crossing for five yrs. they were there every time I drove over. I got permission, shot said birds, and in the 6 years following have not seen a single GE there since.

Re: stock tanks [Re: garrett] #4975783 02/15/14 09:14 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I never see bluebill hunting, but there is one local community pond in north dallas, every year there are consistently about a 100 bluebill that show up all at the same time during hunting season, and they stay in this pond all season and then all leave at same time end of season, like the same day, they are gone! I have always been a believer, at lease with this one pond, they are the same birds, at least 50 to 80%.

Re: stock tanks [Re: garrett] #4975807 02/15/14 09:50 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You should have just sai that to begin with

confused2

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4975959 02/16/14 12:25 AM
G
GreyDuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

Throw some corn out there so that they have a little bit more incentive to come back.

Re: stock tanks [Re: john paul] #4976352 02/16/14 07:29 AM
M
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

both birds were banded during the WINTER not SUMMER. confused2

How about this one for you. I shot a mallard in Carnegie, OK that was banded at a refuge in North Dakota. (Ill have to find the certificate to tell you the exact name). Anyway, the day I shot it, a friend of mine was hunting around the same area and he asked where it was banded. I told him North Dakota and before I could get the name of the refuge out he said not only the name of the refuge but the name of the bander! He has 3 bands from the same bander and from the same refuge, all killed within 10 miles of where I killed that bird. What does that prove? popcorn

When I say "exact same area" I obviously don't mean a 1/4 acre pond. I would define exact same area as within a 10 mile radius.

1st thing, I didn't mean to challenge your intelligence on bird numbers in south texas. After all your right I don't have the slightest

clue about the bird numbers besides what im told from DU, and on forums like these. I do know that teal favor a warm climate, and we have

a large population of residential, gadwall, widgeon, teal, and mallards of course, here. 2nd What I was trying to say (and I guess I did

a bad job) was we truly don't know if the birds follow the exact same paths and stop in the same spots without looking at the

transmitters. Having them banded in the winter summer or any season doesn't prove they are migrators when recovered in close proximity. I

agree that the birds probably split a 100 mile wide goal post each year, but that's a lot of stopping to remember each year for a bird

whose brain is the size of a what a pea? (and I really don't know the size of a ducks brain).And to negate my own statement about

consistent birds coming from the same place, that still doesn't prove anything but flyways.Obviously after pulling the trigger you cannot

go back and see if that bird will come back the next year using the same path and stopping points.

Last edited by Merican duck hunter; 02/16/14 07:37 AM.

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4976574 02/16/14 03:24 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Merican, you own a CBR that doesn't need a vest, you'll never get through to John boy

Re: stock tanks [Re: garrett] #4976627 02/16/14 04:06 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Merican, you own a CBR that doesn't need a vest, you'll never get through to John boy

Oh my!! You are just too funny garrett!!!!!! flehan

Re: stock tanks [Re: bentman] #4976632 02/16/14 04:12 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've had the same couple of mallards come back to my pond year after year. A few years they even brought some friends. But you guys probably wouldn't count them as I raised them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide