Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Cows on your deer lease #4974089 02/14/14 07:07 PM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
How much of an issue are cows on a lease? Looking for a lease for my teenage boys and myself, never was a deer hunter, unless they were wearing a duck costume. smile Going to look at one Saturday PM, besides asking if the cattle owner also will have access/hunting capability, what do I ask or look for?

Thanks,
Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974092 02/14/14 07:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Depends on if its been overgrazed or not and if the rancher has traps he rotates for summer/winter grazing... you will need feed pens but unless it looks like a goat pasture I wouldn't worry about cattle at all.... just about all of my hunting spots have cattle on it

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974094 02/14/14 07:10 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Make sure he is going to be ok with putting feed pens up also

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974096 02/14/14 07:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Cattle and deer have existed on the same range for over 100 years. Cattle moved or rotated into a pasture that had none will have a slight effect for a week or so on the deer. Then things will get back to normal. I would put up a feed pen to keep them off or from being around your feeder. If the LO does not run the cattle and cattle grazing is leased I would not want a lease were the cattle lessor is hunting it also. I was on a lease were grazing was leased to someone else and that someone else poached game when we were not on the lease. We caught them midweek.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974098 02/14/14 07:12 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Depends on many factors, how many cows vs. acreage, how long they've been on the property and if deer are accustomed to them, I'd highly recommend feeder pens. My opinion is that deer would prefer no other animals, coyotes, cows, especially hogs, etc. to compete/contend with but pretty much a necessary evil for most ranchers hoping to reap the tax exemption.

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: DQ Kid] #4974101 02/14/14 07:14 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Depends on many factors, how many cows vs. acreage, how long they've been on the property and if deer are accustomed to them, I'd highly recommend feeder pens. My opinion is that deer would prefer no other animals, coyotes, cows, especially hogs, etc. to compete/contend with but pretty much a necessary evil for most ranchers hoping to reap the tax exemption.

You also have to take in that cows grazing like they do will manicure a property bringing on fresh growth to plants that deer will need during the spring/summer

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974139 02/14/14 07:35 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
what do I ask or look for?

Thanks,
Charlie

Are there any oil/gas wells or are any planned?
Will you have year round access?
Will you have exclusive hunting rights?
Water service?
Electric service?
Can relatives/guests hunt with you?
Can you leave your gear/equipment there in the off season?
Can you feed corn/protein year round? (had one landowner not allow this once...was convinced it would draw hogs in)
What game and varmints can you hunt?

Also insist on a written agreement showing all of the details before money changes hands (this will protect both of you).

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974448 02/14/14 10:29 PM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
always hunted with cows and never really had a problem with them. Sometimes you get tired of seeing them!

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: jskin] #4974593 02/15/14 12:19 AM
S
spud Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: jskin
always hunted with cows and never really had a problem with them. Sometimes you get tired of seeing them!

I would rather hunt with cows, instead of sheep, goats or llamas. Been there and done it, not a good time.

Last edited by spud; 02/15/14 12:21 AM.
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: spud] #4974605 02/15/14 12:29 AM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Thanks for the input... I do get putting up the pen to keep the cows out, what do you do if you want some hog traffic as well around the feeder during the off season?

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974612 02/15/14 12:35 AM
S
spud Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Thanks for the input... I do get putting up the pen to keep the cows out, what do you do if you want some hog traffic as well around the feeder during the off season?

Charlie

I would put up cattle panel around your feeder unless you want it on the ground. I would put out corn by hand in a different location for hogs.

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974623 02/15/14 12:43 AM
F
Franklin517 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
got cows love em

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974625 02/15/14 12:43 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
We run cattle, sheep, and goats and kill plenty of deer.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: DQ Kid] #4974675 02/15/14 01:22 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

That's one of the dumbest post Ive seen in a while. That's almost as dumb as saying duck hunting will run the deer off. We ranch and run duck hunts and lease out the deer hunting, and low and behold they kill deer every year! Deer aren't near as allusive as you think they are.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: Jeff Elder] #4974685 02/15/14 01:28 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

That's one of the dumbest post Ive seen in a while. That's almost as dumb as saying duck hunting will run the deer off. We ranch and run duck hunts and lease out the deer hunting, and low and behold they kill deer every year! Deer aren't near as allusive as you think they are.

Jeff, did you wake up on the wrong side of bed or something? I'm not saying cows are bad or will run off deer, what I did say is that if given the option, a deer would prefer no other animals around. That's not dumb, simply fact my friend. Don't know your years of hunting experience, but I do have more than 35 myself to draw upon. I myself am one of those that run cows in the offseason to reap the ag exemption and I do see more deer when they're off my property than on it. If a property has overgrazing, that will impact your deer activity as well.

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: Jeff Elder] #4974687 02/15/14 01:30 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Post isn't as dumb as you think it is. Cows in open range do not effect out deer, cows by a feeder or corn pile will run the deer off. Not to say the deer will run to the next county, but cows can ruin a hunt.

Killing "a" deer and killing "the deer" are two different things. I can shoot tannerite all day long at some places on our ranch and still kill "a" deer, but I don't just hunt to kill. I wouldn't want someone duck hunting right next to where I am deer hunting.

On a side note, cows grazing is actually beneficial to range land and deer if done correctly. There are many HF places that haven't figured this out

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: txshntr] #4974704 02/15/14 01:38 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Post isn't as dumb as you think it is. Cows in open range do not effect out deer, cows by a feeder or corn pile will run the deer off. Not to say the deer will run to the next county, but cows can ruin a hunt.

Killing "a" deer and killing "the deer" are two different things. I can shoot tannerite all day long at some places on our ranch and still kill "a" deer, but I don't just hunt to kill. I wouldn't want someone duck hunting right next to where I am deer hunting.

On a side note, cows grazing is actually beneficial to range land and deer if done correctly. There are many HF places that haven't figured this out

Thanks for the backing TX, I do notice the rotation of the cows off does cause the grass to come back faster so I think I see what you're talking about on that. Not a duck hunter myself but would think that blasting magnum shotguns early morning and during day at ducks could have a detrimental effect on deer sightings. Size of property would obviously dictate some of the effect of that but I personally would not want to be hunting close to that property during deer season.

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974716 02/15/14 01:49 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We have cows on the lease year round. I think the deer are use to them but having said that, I have seen the deer leave the feeder when cows came up. I would not let cows being on the property a reason to turn down a lease. Just say'in.

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974932 02/15/14 03:44 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Just make your pens larger than the throw of the feeder. Adjust your feeder to make sure. All of ours have a low,medium and high spin so depending on size of your pen the corn won't get out side. You just need to deal with this in Texas. But cows do not scare off deer. Had 2 WT bucks and an Axis doe all at the feeder last week with cows milling around. Shot an 28+ Axis buck in velvet with cows nearby. In true cattle country like NW and West Tx, just put a pen up and make it big.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974956 02/15/14 03:57 AM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Cattle ran the deer off my feeder 2 times this year. Don't like them... but like said before this is Texas.

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: CharlieCTx] #4974994 02/15/14 04:21 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Guess you guys have never seen a herd of deer grazing a grain field alongside cattle? scratch

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: DQ Kid] #4975036 02/15/14 05:08 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Thanks for the backing TX, I do notice the rotation of the cows off does cause the grass to come back faster so I think I see what you're talking about on that. Not a duck hunter myself but would think that blasting magnum shotguns early morning and during day at ducks could have a detrimental effect on deer sightings. Size of property would obviously dictate some of the effect of that but I personally would not want to be hunting close to that property during deer season.

It doesn't brother them, it is what deer are use too. Kind of like what's the best way to kill a monster buck from the pick up...jump in the ranchers truck, why because they are use to his... I get were jeffs coming from because its been that way on his ranch his entire life and I've seen several deer over 150 on his place. Hell had many deer come in for a drink right after we way mowed a flock of ducks down.

His leasers kill big deer every year, infact I don't think you could run them off lease.

Deer are use to cattle like stx said they've co-existed for over a 100 years. Only thing cattle effect is fawning cover if pasture is over grazed. I can't count the number of times I've had to wait for cattle to move so I can shoot

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: aeb] #4975041 02/15/14 05:13 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: aeb
Guess you guys have never seen a herd of deer grazing a grain field alongside cattle? scratch

I've had deer jump in to the feed lot and eat right next to cattle in the feed lane.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4975059 02/15/14 05:32 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I've had deer jump in to the feed lot and eat right next to cattle in the feed lane.

up

Re: Cows on your deer lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4975104 02/15/14 07:28 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I have seen them feed right along side of them and travel through a herd too. Have pics and video of deer in a pen surrounded by cattle. I have also seen deer run like hell when a cow was headed their way. All deer aren't the same and they don't all act the same, even on the same ranch. Just because someone experiences something different, doesn't mean that their post is dumb.

Same with shooting. Bothers some and has no effect on others. I have literally shot 5 or 6 loads of tannerite and had deer walk within 100 yards of us at the truck. I have also seen deer run during bow season because of dove hunters that were over 500 yards away.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide