Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone Hunt Rub Lines #4972634 02/14/14 12:05 AM
S
spud Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Moved to a new lease, buddy of mine said a small mesquite patch was skinned alive with rubs. He has hunted this place for the last 2 years and wants me to put a stand there, but kinda curious as to what others think. To me, rubs mean deer has been there, but no guarantee they will stay there. I think I will look elsewhere to put my stand. What do you think?

Last edited by spud; 02/14/14 12:09 AM.
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4972904 02/14/14 02:29 AM
P
PWT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Why not? Yeah they move more during the rut, but that goes with just about anywhere you set up. The bucks are there, set up a feeder to get some does coming in. Might be a good spot.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4972932 02/14/14 02:39 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
have had good luck hunting where there is a large concentration of rubs, especially for single large mature bucks. I would give it a try.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4972937 02/14/14 02:42 AM
T
tbone76 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Should be a very promising spot. You know the deer are there. When I'm hunting public land, I look for fresh rubs and set up in that area.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973442 02/14/14 02:10 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
What diameter were the trees that were rubbed up?

If it were me, I'd plan to scout it early next year. If you find fresh scrapes nearby and new rubs I'd be setting up to hunt it with something real low impact like a portable tripod or tree stand. Sneak in and sneak out.

I would not set up a blind and feeder there. In our part of the world, the mature bucks go out of their way to avoid the feeders in daylight. If he's in the area, don't push him out.

Last edited by TxAg; 02/14/14 02:11 PM.
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: TxAg] #4973477 02/14/14 02:24 PM
S
spud Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: TxAg
What diameter were the trees that were rubbed up?

If it were me, I'd plan to scout it early next year. If you find fresh scrapes nearby and new rubs I'd be setting up to hunt it with something real low impact like a portable tripod or tree stand. Sneak in and sneak out.

I would not set up a blind and feeder there. In our part of the world, the mature bucks go out of their way to avoid the feeders in daylight. If he's in the area, don't push him out.

These are small mesquites, small in diameter and about 4-6' tall. They are kinda in a cluster in a coastal patch, so the closest place you could put a blind would be about 400 yds. away.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973513 02/14/14 02:40 PM
G
Geezer Ranger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I usually look for well used game trails near creeks. The thing I have observed about rubs is that they are generally wherever the buck happens to be at the time. Now scrapes are different deal all together. Find a scrape or a line of scrapes and park yourself there.

texas I am allergic to stupidity. You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts someone.
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973537 02/14/14 02:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Deer and bucks especially are creatures of habit and prefer the same travel routes which become altered as food sources change. The best part of rubs is that they can tell you where a buck might be a certain time of day. In most cases, you'll find that only one side of the bush or small tree is being rubbed, which gives a strong indication of his direction of travel. I mean, how likely is it that a buck is going to turn around to rub a tree when walking. If the rubbed area faces towards a bedding area, look for him there in the evening as he will be leaving it to feed for the evening. And a rub facing a food source area or on the opposite side of a thicket is best to hunt in the morning so you catch him heading back to his bedroom.

What has always amazed me is how a buck can find a safe route to use to avoid box stands and other types that hunters never move. Even though the route is just beyond where hunters can see them, they use the route and leave the hunters swearing the deer have disappeared.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973561 02/14/14 02:56 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Some of my deer come back to the same tree year after year. If they are in the area it is a good place to start. I agree with not disturbing it very much.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: Phantom] #4973568 02/14/14 02:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: brianl
Some of my deer come back to the same tree year after year. If they are in the area it is a good place to start. I agree with not disturbing it very much.

Some trees get rubbed by multiple deer in a single year, while others may get rubbed by other deer in later years.

I can remember a mid-sized cedar that deer rubbed every year through all the many years that I hunted the property.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973605 02/14/14 03:11 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A lot of rubs/scrapes are made or see action at night only. Set up some TCs.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973641 02/14/14 03:25 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
If your going to sit on a line of rubs and scrapes you need to set up fairly close to the bedding area end. I was set up not quite close enough last season. I had a huge body buck coming down the trail that came across a hot doe one scrape up the line. One second I had the perfect set up, the next, two tails bounding through the brush. The biggest reason is the closer to a bedding area the more likely you are to see a buck during shooting hours.

Last edited by nsmike; 02/14/14 03:32 PM. Reason: readability

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973685 02/14/14 03:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
IME. Rubs occur in or close to bedding areas, feeding areas, water, and on travel routes. Some are made only when they are feeding in an area. Rubs in feeding areas may not stay fresh if the feed is gone. These type of rubs can be very good during the early season or even late seaon on cool season small grains. Some trees are sign post rubs and are used year after year. Rublines can show you a travel direction also. In the Hill Country bucks like to use Bumelia trees to rub on. When the rub the outer layer of bark down it has an orangish/brownish layer under it. You could follow a rubline in the mornings when the sun came up as they rubs went west it seemed on a lot of lines. Same in the evening. Those seemed to be on travel corridors. I have setup TC on rubs and scrapes to see what showed up. Some bucks make multiple trips and some only show up once. Watched a really nice buck in South Texas make a scrape on a sendero about 6-700 yrds away and the ranch owner tried to make a stalk on him mid morning. Spooked him before he could get a shot. So we set up a TC on a Tpost and had 17 pics in 8 days. Over 10 different bucks and that same buck came back, but he was after midnight about 5 days later. Same on a sign post rub were I had over 10 different bucks use it in 2 weeks but none of them were repeats. Size of the rub was not an indicator of size of the buck also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973690 02/14/14 03:52 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
A lot of our rubs are around water. Anywhere deer congregate you will see rubs. Bucks work on intimidating other bucks with all types of posturing and rubs fit in that category. Anywhere the deer are is where I want to be. I am sure not going to pick a spot where there is no deer sign. Deer crap and tracks indicate where deer have been also and I would rather be where they have been than set up a stand where they have not been. They will return.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973695 02/14/14 03:53 PM
007hunters son Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: spud
Moved to a new lease, buddy of mine said a small mesquite patch was skinned alive with rubs. He has hunted this place for the last 2 years and wants me to put a stand there, but kinda curious as to what others think. To me, rubs mean deer has been there, but no guarantee they will stay there. I think I will look elsewhere to put my stand. What do you think?
What county do you hunt in?

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4973766 02/14/14 04:33 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
My three best bucks to date came from a rub line that followed a creek. I'd hunt it fo sho

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: landsurveyor] #4973805 02/14/14 04:53 PM
S
spud Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
After reading some responses, it seems the rubs are on the way to a oats field. So it would make sense to put up a pop up between the rubs and the oats patch. I would think about a regular stand but it is not enough cover to really use one there, I really don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: stxranchman] #4973854 02/14/14 05:14 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
IME. Rubs occur in or close to bedding areas, feeding areas, water, and on travel routes. Some are made only when they are feeding in an area. Rubs in feeding areas may not stay fresh if the feed is gone. These type of rubs can be very good during the early season or even late seaon on cool season small grains. Some trees are sign post rubs and are used year after year. Rublines can show you a travel direction also. In the Hill Country bucks like to use Bumelia trees to rub on. When the rub the outer layer of bark down it has an orangish/brownish layer under it. You could follow a rubline in the mornings when the sun came up as they rubs went west it seemed on a lot of lines. Same in the evening. Those seemed to be on travel corridors. I have setup TC on rubs and scrapes to see what showed up. Some bucks make multiple trips and some only show up once. Watched a really nice buck in South Texas make a scrape on a sendero about 6-700 yrds away and the ranch owner tried to make a stalk on him mid morning. Spooked him before he could get a shot. So we set up a TC on a Tpost and had 17 pics in 8 days. Over 10 different bucks and that same buck came back, but he was after midnight about 5 days later. Same on a sign post rub were I had over 10 different bucks use it in 2 weeks but none of them were repeats. Size of the rub was not an indicator of size of the buck also.

Rubbing is probably much like our stretching and farting after a good nights sleep.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: Texas Dan] #4973865 02/14/14 05:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: brianl

Some trees get rubbed by multiple deer in a single year, while others may get rubbed by other deer in later years.

I can remember a mid-sized cedar that deer rubbed every year through all the many years that I hunted the property.

I also subscribe to the belief that while all bucks will rub small trees, mature bucks are more likely to rub larger trees and saplings since they offer a stronger workout.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4976429 02/16/14 01:39 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Based on the info, you could have a variety of possibilities some good some not. Set up a trail cam and see what you have.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: Texas Dan] #4978174 02/17/14 05:08 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Deer and bucks especially are creatures of habit and prefer the same travel routes which become altered as food sources change. The best part of rubs is that they can tell you where a buck might be a certain time of day. In most cases, you'll find that only one side of the bush or small tree is being rubbed, which gives a strong indication of his direction of travel. I mean, how likely is it that a buck is going to turn around to rub a tree when walking. If the rubbed area faces towards a bedding area, look for him there in the evening as he will be leaving it to feed for the evening. And a rub facing a food source area or on the opposite side of a thicket is best to hunt in the morning so you catch him heading back to his bedroom.

What has always amazed me is how a buck can find a safe route to use to avoid box stands and other types that hunters never move. Even though the route is just beyond where hunters can see them, they use the route and leave the hunters swearing the deer have disappeared.

This
Deer and bucks especially are creatures of habit and prefer the same travel routes which become altered as food sources change. They will come back and other deer will aslo use this same rub.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4978794 02/17/14 10:39 PM
S
scrub buck Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
early season mostly.

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4979459 02/18/14 04:30 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Absolutely, don't overthink it. They are the highway to food and bedding areas,just be in between, well concealed. We don't bother the deer during feed times or bedding, only in their travel corridor.youll be surprised if you can sneak in early. Fun to watch and now a pnd again you'll come across a mature buck.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4979725 02/18/14 02:06 PM
H
huntandfish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Had a picture of a nice buck running a set of rubs on game camera this year. Had one pic if him and he never came back to scrape again..guess it was the intrusion of my scent from Just putting the trail camera up. The rubs whent cold and quit being used Altogether. Never did see that deer again and the line of scrapes where 75 yards behind my feeder, but out of sight from my stand due to the brush in the way. Guess he didnt care for the intrusion of human scent around his rubs. I was going to hunt them, but after they went cold that fast it was to late. I had never had a picture of that particular buck until I set the camera up on the rub. He never visited the feeder, as I keep cameras going year around!

Last edited by huntandfish; 02/18/14 02:15 PM.
Re: Anyone Hunt Rub Lines [Re: spud] #4984456 02/20/14 10:57 PM
I
ImBillT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
I read somewhere that a group of rubs will usually be found on the outer limits of the territory a buck will defend, and lone rubs appear on the interior of that territory. The bucks travel far from their rubs, but consider the area around their rubs as their own personal place. I haven't studied it a lot, but if that's correct, that rub line is on the edge of his most valued turf. I wouldn't disturb it, but would set up near a trail leading to it. I shot what I think was the stud buck of the small area I was hunting about 100yrds from a lone rub in a dense thicket this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide