Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: Beretta] #4963009 02/09/14 03:51 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
I have no problem with the increase to $25 but the $1000 comment is a little out there.

Its $525 in belgium, but no limits on mallards

Hum...

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: Ron H] #4963039 02/09/14 04:13 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Ron H
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
$1,000 bucks would only increase the number of poachers.

This is true! When our bright legislators agree to raise fees, not taxes, they decrease the compliance rate. RE: inspection stickers, licence fees, hunting licenses, etc.!
A point to ponder. Fees charged a government is in fact a TAX!! We are taxed plenty already!

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/federalaid/pittmanrobertson.html

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4963042 02/09/14 04:14 AM
B
Billbreaker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I wonder if they are going to give you a kiss when you buy a stamp? A 66.6% increase in price is a pretty hefty markup. If you want to put more money towards conservation, there are several ways of doing that. Make a donation to DU, Delta, or do what I do and buy two stamps every year. I use one for my license and keep one for when my son gets older. Putting more money towards conservation should be a choice, not a requirement.

I don't carry change, but I love breaking bills!
Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4963348 02/09/14 02:46 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I thought the price increase from $15 to $17 was already set to kick in soon.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: Billbreaker] #4963354 02/09/14 02:49 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Billbreaker
. Putting more money towards conservation should be a choice, not a requirement.

I think if you hunt even once $25 is a small contribution toward conservation. I don't think that should be a choice at all. Now contributing more is.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4963670 02/09/14 06:37 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Not a big deal to me. But then I have a Lifetime Hunting/Fishing License here in Texas. All I ever have to pay for is the Federal Duck Stamp.

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4963687 02/09/14 06:47 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
They should implement a class to teach people how to tell time when they pick up licenses.

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4963707 02/09/14 06:58 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I don't see it as a big deal.
I don't know of anything else that hasn't had a price increase over the last 20 years.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: LarryCopper] #4963855 02/09/14 09:11 PM
N
NTXR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
It's a drop in the bucket. As long as it goes towards the intended purpose I'm cool with it.

Agreed.

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: NTXR] #4963928 02/09/14 09:55 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Someone enters a Bill for a price increase almost every session. Unfortunately there is always something that kills it. Be it a loan addition, wording that allows the funds to be used for other reasons than waterfowl, multi year increases, importation of polar bear trophys, protections for lead ammunition, etc. Every time the bill gets subjected to so much political wrangling that the bill never makes it through. I support it as DU presents it, but we really need to read the fine lines within the bill and follow future changes in the the actual bill to find what they are not telling us, and make sure there are no amendments attached to it that are not are in our best interest.

It has only been reported out of committee, so it has a long ways to go.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s1865#overview

The current Bill is just a reintroduction of last sessions Bill. So this article on should still apply in describing it.
http://www.akbizmag.com/Alaska-Business-...-Stamp-Program/

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4963934 02/09/14 09:56 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
It is not a $25 increase. It is a guaranteed increase every 5 years. It would allow the Secretary of the Interior to consult with the Migratory Bird Commission and set Duck Stamp prices every five years. $25 initially, then 5 years later to $30, then it looks like there is no set limit on the increase amount every 5 years after that. The Secretary of the Interior will also be able to issue exemptions to the stamp requirement for some groups and individuals.

The summary below was written by the Congressional Research Service, which is a nonpartisan division of the Library of Congress.

12/19/2013--Introduced.
Migratory Bird Habitat Investment and Enhancement Act - Amends the Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp Act to allow the Secretary of the Interior, for each 5-year period beginning in 2014, to set the amount to be collected for each Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp sold under the Act. Limits such amount to $25 for the initial 5-year period and to $30 for the subsequent 5-year period.
Requires the United States Postal Service (USPS) and the Department of the Interior, or any other agent approved by the Department to collect the amount established for each Stamp sold for a hunting year if the Secretary determines, at any time before February 1 of a calendar year, that all amounts in the Migratory Bird Conservation Fund have been obligated for expenditure.
Permits the Secretary, in consultation with the Migratory Bird Conservation Commission, to waive requirements under the Act relating to the prohibition on the taking of migratory waterfowl with respect to certain individuals as determined to be appropriate.

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4966072 02/10/14 09:52 PM
W
wfhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
It has always been a user pay system. Sportsman have always carried the funding for our sports with hunting and fishing licenses and various stamps which of the duck stamp is the founding father. We also pay with our taxes collected on guns, ammunition and various other sporting good items. This money funds almost the entire conservation effort in this country. Without us there would be no conservation. Land prices have increase so much in the last 8-10 years the money generated at the current price does not have much buying power anymore. our northern waterfowl breeding grounds are not increaseing but decreasing everyday. I know it sounds like a big jump but when you know the money is spent on our cause, I think it is over due.

Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: tinkerbell] #4966480 02/11/14 01:31 AM
D
drakedoctor Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
So how many of you actually know where the money goes? It's no coincidence that DU is pushing the campaign to get this pushed through. The Feds are also looking at reducing the number of workers that help manage Federal properties. At the same time, I believe that some of the funds would be used to purchase more wetlands for waterfowl. So the way I see it, there would be more land to manage and fewer people to manage the land. When are they going to come up with a lottery system that will allow hunters access to reserves twice a week. If they set it up right, it would make money, keep the birds better circulated, and potentially put more hunters in the field. To me, it's typical government. Poor management of resources.

Live to hunt, hunt to live.
Re: Duck Stamp Price Rise? [Re: drakedoctor] #4967375 02/11/14 03:02 PM
T
tinkerbell Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/conservation/conservation.htm

Alazon Bayou WMA in East TX was bought with duck stamp money as were a number of other federal refuges and state wma's in TX. I know places i've hunted in the plains states called Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA's) were purchased with duck stamp money, and are open almost all season. (It varies by state and location) I think it's one of the most efficient uses of conservation money.

I think your confusing the buying of the land with duck stamp funds compared to hunter management by the various governing bodies of that land. Corps of Engineers, TPWD, US Fish and Wildlife, Bureau of Reclamation, etc. Each of these manage their lands differently based on size, location, accessability, and hunting pressure. Almost all studies have shown that these natural areas do make money for the surrounding area. I think you might have one particular area in mind that only allows access twice a week, and that has more to do with managing hunting pressure than it does conserving habitat for waterfowl and other wildlife.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide