Print Thread
Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras #4964039 02/09/14 10:56 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Anybody run AA rechargeable batteries in their game cameras, if so how do they hold a charge vs Alkalines, especially in colder weather? Normally, Alkalines will hold up for 3-4 weeks for me in my Wildgame Innovations cameras. Just curious as to rechargeables.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964059 02/09/14 11:04 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
The ones I purchased today from Walmart were the Rayovac Rechargeables. They claim they will accept up to 500 recharges.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964141 02/09/14 11:50 PM
S
SlaminEm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
if you run it with a solar panel you need the rechargeable bateries.i have not had no luck running regular batteries with a solar panel.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964145 02/09/14 11:53 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
SlaminEm, I'm thinking of just running the batteries by themselves without solar panels. Just curious as to how they will hold up to the camera's battery drain. Like I said, I can generally only get about 3-5 weeks out of Alkalines during the winter months. Should I expect similar from the rechargeables? I'll recharge them with the battery charger at home.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964171 02/10/14 12:07 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
DQ Kid, I tried that a couple years ago and it didn't work. Even the best re-chargeables didn't last a month. I have since went to the external battery packs and solar chargers. The first set lasted almost 3 years. If I had brought them in during the cold and extreme heat, they would probably last about 5 years. I just bought another 10 of the 6 volt batteries on Amazon today for less than $52 shipped to my house ($5/battery). You can run two of them together in your own box or buy the Wildgame innovations box. I also use the Solar Panels for my Moultrie Cameras and had one 3 years so far and it is still going strong.

Only downside to this style is that you need to have your camera's in full sun. Works great for the feeder and food plot cams. When I put cams on the trails, I just replace the 2 batteries every month or two with 2 freshly charged batteries. This seems to work pretty good. Thinking about going to another cam for my inside the woods trail camera setups. Today's camera's can run a full year on a set of good lithium batteries (about $10/year for these compared to $10/3 years with my 6 volt setups).

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964175 02/10/14 12:09 AM
F
Friction Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
depends on the milliamps of the rechargeable batteries, the more milliamps the longer they will run. the more milliamps the more $'s. other than that i have no idea how long they will last.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964331 02/10/14 01:36 AM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I tried/use the double A rechargables. They are o.k. at first, but over time they don't seem to hold up quite the charge as when new. I want to say, after 6 months or so you notice that they weaken and don't last quite as long. Could be a single battery draining the good ones as well. I put them on my test voltmeter and even though they say 1.55 to 1.65 volts after a charge, I hold my breathe after loading the camera. Nothing tee's you off more than checking game cams only to find the batteries died a week prior.

Dryberry was the last lake God created and it took the entire seventh day.
Dryberry Lake Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: sillyhorses] #4964341 02/10/14 01:40 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: sillyhorses
I tried/use the double A rechargables. They are o.k. at first, but over time they don't seem to hold up quite the charge as when new. I want to say, after 6 months or so you notice that they weaken and don't last quite as long. Could be a single battery draining the good ones as well. I put them on my test voltmeter and even though they say 1.55 to 1.65 volts after a charge, I hold my breathe after loading the camera. Nothing tee's you off more than checking game cams only to find the batteries died a week prior.

Silly, I hear what you're saying. The back of the package even shows that at 6 months of usage/charges that they are only 60-50% of power to brand new. If I can get a few months of decent operation from them, they'll be as good or better than the similar costing Lithiums. The Lithium AA are only lasting 4-6 weeks in coldest time of year so we'll see.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4964587 02/10/14 03:44 AM
S
Spence Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I went through a frustrating phase of trying to make rechargeable batteries work in my game cameras and I failed. I use rechargeables a lot in miscellaneous items and it seems that in some electronics they are just a no-go. I think they would probably work in concert with a solar panel... I use recharchable AA's in some of my feeders with a solar and it works great.

Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4965227 02/10/14 03:23 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Kid... In the past I’ve experienced the same battery life issues with other game cameras as well as with Wildgame. I'm not trying to knock your game cameras bit if you’re running Lithium AA in your Wildgame Innovations cameras and they are only lasting 4-6 weeks than that's ridicules and expensive.

Not trying to spend your money but I’m running Lithium AA’s in my Moultrie M80 and M80XT and my batteries are lasting right up to a year. And I have them programed to take pictures every 5 minutes at a three burst mode.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: Pittstate] #4966988 02/11/14 06:14 AM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
DQ Kid, I tried that a couple years ago and it didn't work. Even the best re-chargeables didn't last a month. I have since went to the external battery packs and solar chargers. The first set lasted almost 3 years. If I had brought them in during the cold and extreme heat, they would probably last about 5 years. I just bought another 10 of the 6 volt batteries on Amazon today for less than $52 shipped to my house ($5/battery). You can run two of them together in your own box or buy the Wildgame innovations box. I also use the Solar Panels for my Moultrie Cameras and had one 3 years so far and it is still going strong.

Only downside to this style is that you need to have your camera's in full sun. Works great for the feeder and food plot cams. When I put cams on the trails, I just replace the 2 batteries every month or two with 2 freshly charged batteries. This seems to work pretty good. Thinking about going to another cam for my inside the woods trail camera setups. Today's camera's can run a full year on a set of good lithium batteries (about $10/year for these compared to $10/3 years with my 6 volt setups).

We had two feeders with this and same result lasted 3 years for us. Just left them out year round.

Tried on game cam but didn't work was under a tree then a bird would land on it tilting it away from sun, cow ran into it. Didn't work for us on camera but you could mount something higher up where it gets sun most of the day and should work great.

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Recharegable Batteries in Game Cameras [Re: DQ Kid] #4972623 02/14/14 12:01 AM
B
Beckett Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I have an ammo box with several of the 6 v feeder batteries and solar chargers screwed to the side. Place in sun and run a long wire to your camera. Lasts for 3-4 years with no hassles.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide