Print Thread
Introduction and a Question or Two #4943947 01/30/14 07:53 PM
T
Tree_fish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to introduce myself and start posting here. I am new to hunting and bow hunting particularly. I shot recurve some back when I was I in boy scouts, lord that's been some 25+ years ago. I recently bought a compound bow and am waiting on it to get here in the mail. I have always wanted to bow hunt but never knew anyone that could show me the ropes etc. I still don't know anyone else that bow hunts but I don't want to wait any longer so I have taken it upon myself to learn as much as I can and see what happens from there. I'd like to hear some suggestions about a guide that does educational hunts. I'm no stranger to firing guns but only wish to bow hunt. I believe the only option I have this time of year is predator hunting on private land, is this correct? A day trip on the weekend or a weekend trip would be optimal for me, and If anyone would like join me and share some knowledge and split costs that would be great to! The next question I have is about camo. What pattern camo do you all suggest for the West texas area? I've been looking at max-1 but that pattern seems hard to find? Realtree xtra or ap maybe? That stuff doesn't seem like it would blend in to well in the desert with mesquite cactus and sage everywhere, especially in the wintertime. Between this site and AT I have learned a lot already, my bow should be here in the next day or two and I'm anxious to start practicing!

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4943953 01/30/14 07:59 PM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
For west Texas try Mossy Oak Brush....Other than that, practice alot, and good luck!! what kind of bow did you get?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4944027 01/30/14 08:42 PM
T
Tree_fish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I bought a PSE Brute X.

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4944125 01/30/14 09:27 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Once you start getting confedence in your shooting try shooting from a stand. After you master that you could try some hog hunting.

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4944406 01/31/14 12:12 AM
T
Tree_fish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I had planned on still hunting or spot and stalk, I've always been pretty light on my feet. Is it easier to learn out of a stand?

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4946748 02/01/14 03:00 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
It appears to me that you are getting your horse ahead of your cart. There is a lot to killing a critter with a bow. My recommendation to you is first go to a pro shop and have them set you and your bow up to shoot good.

Then go find you some 3D shoots to shoot or better yet, join a club and get to know some guys. If you ask you will find some folks at the 3D's to guide you at getting good with that bow.

Forget about still hunting or spot and stalk. You MIGHT be able to spot and stalk a pig but I am willing to bet there is not a handful of guys in the state of Texas that can spot and stalk a whitetail and shoot it with a bow.

Good luck, there is nothing like being within 20 yards of a live critter and him or her not knowing you are there.

Rick

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4946796 02/01/14 03:26 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Tree_fish
I have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to introduce myself and start posting here. I am new to hunting and bow hunting particularly. I shot recurve some back when I was I in boy scouts, lord that's been some 25+ years ago. I recently bought a compound bow and am waiting on it to get here in the mail. I have always wanted to bow hunt but never knew anyone that could show me the ropes etc. I still don't know anyone else that bow hunts but I don't want to wait any longer so I have taken it upon myself to learn as much as I can and see what happens from there. I'd like to hear some suggestions about a guide that does educational hunts. I'm no stranger to firing guns but only wish to bow hunt. I believe the only option I have this time of year is predator hunting on private land, is this correct? A day trip on the weekend or a weekend trip would be optimal for me, and If anyone would like join me and share some knowledge and split costs that would be great to! The next question I have is about camo. What pattern camo do you all suggest for the West texas area? I've been looking at max-1 but that pattern seems hard to find? Realtree xtra or ap maybe? That stuff doesn't seem like it would blend in to well in the desert with mesquite cactus and sage everywhere, especially in the wintertime. Between this site and AT I have learned a lot already, my bow should be here in the next day or two and I'm anxious to start practicing!

Welcome. Camo wise pattern doesn't matter, I've have probley 8 patterens I use, none more or less effictive.

You kind hide unnatureal movement. Number one thing bowhunting is moving slow and controled, including picking up your bow if in a tree.

Other then that, shoot , shoot, and shoot. There is no substitute or gimmick that can replace shooting often

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4946798 02/01/14 03:28 AM
N
Nivlac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I cant give you any advice on bow hunting since I'm a newbie myself but for cammo clothing you could look into some USMC "utility" uniforms in the multicam pattern. Or Army ACUPAT clothing might work also.

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4951678 02/03/14 10:31 PM
E
East Texas Archery & Bait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I would not say the camo pattern matters. just go with a natural look in your area.

scent control.

Practice how you plan on shooting. I would put the stalking on the back burner until you are very very confident in your shooting ability with the compound.

East Texas Archery - Bait & Tackle.
Mt.Vernon, TX. 75457
903-588-9200
1001 Texas Hwy 37 S
Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Tree_fish] #4951680 02/03/14 10:32 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Hunt the shadows

Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: Navasot] #4951770 02/03/14 11:10 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Hunt the shadows

thats where the ninjas hide. thats where you want to be.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Introduction and a Question or Two [Re: East Texas Archery & Bait] #4952712 02/04/14 02:31 PM
T
Tree_fish Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: East Texas Archery & Bait

Practice how you plan on shooting. I would put the stalking on the back burner until you are very very confident in your shooting ability with the compound.

That's the plan so far, I have been practicing everyday. I know that I'm not ready to go out yet I just am trying to read and ask questions to soak up as much knowledge as I can. I've got a few books at home that I have been reading, and there are a few websites that I have been watching. I've definitely got the bug!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide