Print Thread
Blackcloud #4948621 02/02/14 01:20 PM
R
RC Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I used Black Cloud shells with the cutter shot exclusively this year on ducks and Geese. The results were impressive compared to round steel shot. I've never folded so many birds on the first shot or so few cripples. Made me a believer in the cutter shot

Skin him Pilgrim, I'll git you another
Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4948624 02/02/14 01:23 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
popcorn

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4948625 02/02/14 01:23 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Although, I did think about trying it too

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4948674 02/02/14 02:06 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I thought about them also.... till I saw the price

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4948689 02/02/14 02:18 PM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Did the meat get torn up real bad? My experience was that they do drop them but didnt leave much meat left.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: TTUGrad08] #4948696 02/02/14 02:29 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: TTUGrad08
Did the meat get torn up real bad? My experience was that they do drop them but didnt leave much meat left.

Where did the meat go? Was it torn off in shreds and dissipated because of the magnum force of

•••••• BLACKCLOUD•••••• dunt- da-nana!!!!' I like hearing the old movie dint-da-nana in my head every time we talk about black cloud. I can see Phil Robertson's endorsement photo now. Standing on a pile of ducks 3 feet high holding 1 spent Black Cloud shell casing. Maybe he has on a golden cape and a golden cap with black cloud logos on it.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4948838 02/02/14 04:00 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The two differences between $10/box cheap federals and $25/box black cloud federals is the shot shape and the wad. The difference between folding and wounding a duck is energy and pattern. We all know that the heavy soft metal like lead is the best all around load to get the best energy and more pellets on target (there are way more expensive metals that perform as well or better in some instances....). IMO what gives Black Cloud the most advantage is the wad it uses. It acts like a pattern master chock tube by keeping the shot closer together (front to back), so more pellets hit the target. I don't see the great advantage with the shot shape on this shells.

So, if you want Black Cloud knock down power, you could just buy the cheap federals and a pattern master choke tube. Just my 2 pennies

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949208 02/02/14 07:01 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
There could be a chance that you've improved your shooting vs years past or you just noticed the kills more. It's like of like when you buy a new truck...after that you start noticing all the other people driving the same truck and you could think more people are driving that truck now...or maybe you just didn't notice in the past.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949353 02/02/14 08:04 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I was anti black cloud and pro expert for quite a while. I burned through a case of xperts quick this year and ended up having to buy BC's simply because gander or academy was out of everything but BC's. I was highly impressed with them after shooting them. It is possible that I shot much better when I used them, but it seemed like every bird I hit was stone cold dead, and I shot the first 6 ducks I shot at. Could be a coincidence, but I am impressed by them. Wish they were cheaper though

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949501 02/02/14 09:09 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
As Pitt said, tuning a choke will allow any pattern to knock there butts for a loop.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949515 02/02/14 09:26 PM
T
Texan1554 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Get a good choke and stick with normal but not cheap loads.

I've seen more than a few of those wads stick in barrels. Spooner, the gunsmith at Mack's had seen so many blowups and stuck wads he and chuck (store manager) decided not to carry them in the store. They've now dropped em all together.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949847 02/03/14 12:47 AM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I use BC exclusive on sandhill crane. Love the #2 and #3. Wore them out again this weekend. Need to get another case by next season, one box left.

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949848 02/03/14 12:47 AM
F
FWBanger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I merely threw an empty black cloud hull and knocked a spoonie's bill smooth off. lol35

Re: Blackcloud [Re: Revoman] #4949931 02/03/14 01:24 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Revoman
I use BC exclusive on sandhill crane. Love the #2 and #3. Wore them out again this weekend. Need to get another case by next season, one box left.

You can use lead on Cranes and you are buying steel at over $1 a shell?

2 3/4 #5 lead will wear them cranes out!

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4949972 02/03/14 01:37 AM
R
Revoman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I like it, use what you want

Call'm an Kill'm
Re: Blackcloud [Re: Pittstate] #4949992 02/03/14 01:46 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pittstate

You can use lead on Cranes and you are buying steel at over $1 a shell?

2 3/4 #5 lead will wear them cranes out!

Well maybe he might want the chance to shoot a goose if one comes in.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Blackcloud [Re: Revoman] #4950280 02/03/14 04:21 AM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
use what you want

This

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4950393 02/03/14 05:34 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I've got nothing to add to this. I'm only posting, so in a few months, I can repost ttt.

Just for Deckhand. He loves discussing the fine art of the BC shell. lizard

[Linked Image]
Re: Blackcloud [Re: jdk1985] #4950913 02/03/14 04:42 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: jdk1985
use what you want

This

x2 use what you feel comfortable with. Its all about having confidence when shooting

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4950978 02/03/14 05:03 PM
C
ChriStyle Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Here is my input on this. I shoot exclusively BC because my gun patterns the best with the vortex choke and I can't seem to shoot or I say aim better with other shells. I don't know why. I just shoot better with BC and also I think the price is a bit higher because I think it has something to do with the cutter design but mainly I think it's because of more powder that they may use. And I also believe that's why it knocks down the ducks better and less cripples. Now with the "cutter be be's" that is just a gimmick. I was cleaning my duck and finally ran into one of the cutters and it is round and dull!! It doesn't enhance the penetration! The pellet was just under the skin! And I do notice that the BC make the gun dirtier too.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: ChriStyle] #4952531 02/04/14 12:22 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: ChriStyle
Here is my input on this. I shoot exclusively BC because my gun patterns the best with the vortex choke and I can't seem to shoot or I say aim better with other shells. I don't know why. I just shoot better with BC and also I think the price is a bit higher because I think it has something to do with the cutter design but mainly I think it's because of more powder that they may use. And I also believe that's why it knocks down the ducks better and less cripples. Now with the "cutter be be's" that is just a gimmick. I was cleaning my duck and finally ran into one of the cutters and it is round and dull!! It doesn't enhance the penetration! The pellet was just under the skin! And I do notice that the BC make the gun dirtier too.

The "cutter be be's" you are referring to are called "flight-stopper pellets" and they only account for a fraction of the total payload. The rest are round, that may be what you found.

As far as patterning goes, I think its kind of a moot point to bring it up unless you have a high $ slow motion camera you can measure shot string with. If it all shows up on a target at 40 yards nicely, but gets there over a long period of time, your pattern is crap.

As far as powder charge size being bigger, it is written right on the box and its the same as any other company depending on the size. I'm with Wal on this one. I used to shoot BC because i was a sucker for their great marketing. Then I realized that Kent Fasteel worked just as well and cost at least 1/3rd less. Bottom line, use what you want, but unless you have hardcore scientific method to back up a claim about one brand of shell vs. another, its a pointless discussion.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4952881 02/04/14 03:42 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
They should do blind studies on ammo like Rx medication. Would love to see the placebo effect of when someone who thinks they are shooting high end rounds when they are actually shooting the cheap stuff and vis versa.

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: Going Green] #4952908 02/04/14 03:52 PM
C
ChriStyle Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Originally Posted By: Going Green

The "cutter be be's" you are referring to are called "flight-stopper pellets" and they only account for a fraction of the total payload. The rest are round, that may be what you found.

As far as patterning goes, I think its kind of a moot point to bring it up unless you have a high $ slow motion camera you can measure shot string with. If it all shows up on a target at 40 yards nicely, but gets there over a long period of time, your pattern is crap.

As far as powder charge size being bigger, it is written right on the box and its the same as any other company depending on the size. I'm with Wal on this one. I used to shoot BC because i was a sucker for their great marketing. Then I realized that Kent Fasteel worked just as well and cost at least 1/3rd less. Bottom line, use what you want, but unless you have hardcore scientific method to back up a claim about one brand of shell vs. another, its a pointless discussion.

hmm let me correct my term then sir. Those flight stoppers was exactly what I found from the bird I shot. They aren't as sharp as they advertise this. And as for as powder, yeah they do all state the load on these shells but how come I hear other folks complain that other shells kick harder than others? and how come some folks say BC does more damage than other shells? and yeah all ammo will do the job. Every bullet will kill. But like I said..BC patterns with my choke the best out of other ammos so that's why I use it.

Re: Blackcloud [Re: ChriStyle] #4954430 02/05/14 04:03 AM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
hmm let me correct my term then sir. Those flight stoppers was exactly what I found from the bird I shot. They aren't as sharp as they advertise this. And as for as powder, yeah they do all state the load on these shells but how come I hear other folks complain that other shells kick harder than others?and how come some folks say BC does more damage than other shells? and yeah all ammo will do the job. Every bullet will kill. But like I said..BC patterns with my choke the best out of other ammos so that's why I use it.

1. Because they didn't have their PF Flyers tied with a double knot.
2. Without a high speed camera to capture the length of your shot string, what you end up with when you pattern on a paper target is a 2D picture of a 3D pattern. Its ok that you shoot black cloud, but its 100% based on your perception, not science. Again, pointless discussion. You can go back through all the threads and you'll find that there is no clear winner in this discussion. Just accept the fact that $10 of every box you buy goes straight to Phil Robertson's pocket, and move on! up

Re: Blackcloud [Re: RC Hunter] #4954451 02/05/14 04:19 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
They claim the wad keeps the shot close together like a Pattern Master choke tube. I have shot a case of Blind Sides, Heavy Metal and Black Cloud this year (along with several other brands) and hands down the best load for 40 to 50 yard shots has been Heavy Metal. The biggest downside with all three is that they tear the crap out of birds at close range. Even at 1675 fps with the Blind sides, they tend to "peter out" after 35 or so yards. Black Cloud seems to go down hill after 40 yards. Of course this is just me doing the shooting and no expert. With all this being said, I will take any free shells I am offered! If I am paying, it is the cheapest shell I can find for decoying ducks and geese. I like #4 and #2 for ducks and #2 and BB for geese. If I need to pass shoot them, I would rather stay home.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide