Page 1 of 2 1 2
QDMA #4944978 01/31/14 04:12 AM
T
TreeBass Offline OP
Old Weller
OP Offline
Old Weller
T
Recently this was brought up in another thread. It's an interesting read (I finally finished it) but raises a lot of questions as to who to trust when it comes to deer management.

http://www.qdma.com/corporate/mis-management-bucks

Anyone else read it, and if so, what are your thoughts?

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945054 01/31/14 04:59 AM
B
bum Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Poppycock. Breeding is breeding, no matter what genus and species. Natural selection can be assisted. IMO

I find it intresting that on the King Ranch (property that is very active in "management") they couldn't see a discernable difference between their control area of ~9500 acres to their treatment area of ~9500 acres, when the whole area has been genetically improving for many many years. In other words, they already have a very good and solid gene pool, of course they might not see a huge difference between the two in only 8 years.

I see "faulty" traits on deer occassionally, and it differs from property to property, for instance, a friend of mine in Lavaca county had A LOT of mature deer on their property with NO brow tines. I mean an unusual amount of big deer that really had a genetic flaw IMO. They went through great lengths to start a management plan on those deer, and it helped tremendously.

Intresting read though, and I agree with some of it, just not all...

Last edited by bum; 01/31/14 04:59 AM.
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945068 01/31/14 05:07 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Agree with Bum. Unless you are in a controlled environment like HF, you can't totally control genetics. Not sure about these days, but QDMA wouldn't even open a chapter in Texas. Not a bad article, but doesn't really apply to all of Texas.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945082 01/31/14 05:24 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I agree with a lot of it, and also agree that many management bucks are taken on properties that will never see a difference, just like some that feed protein. IMO, culling is a tool, along with herd management, counts, improvement of habitat, supplemental feeding, etc. I do believe the control in the study at the King ranch is slightly flawed, mainly because they only took the bucks and, as the article stated, the ratio was out of whack. In a true management program, the entire herd is addressed, not just the males.

Same is true of taking spikes. Taking spikes will do very little on most places. Without additional management practices in place, you are simply taking a buck out of the herd. I can see the benefit when you are working on herd management and start taking the lower percentile of each age class.

Culling will not change the "genetics" of a place, but extensive culling and years of culling can have an impact IMO. We take every crab claw and no-brow buck we see. These two traits were prevailent in out area 20 years ago. Now, we might see one a year. Did we change the genetics? No. We improved the herd by implementing more than just culling. The better deer and more desired deer were the ones surving to maturity. Both traits are still in out herd, but they don't make it long.

Our ranch is 10k acres. We hunt 6500 and 3500 is not hunted. The traits are common on the 3500 and rare on the 6500. Also, based on drives, TC, the rancher, and the few times a year I sit over there, the hunted side actually has better deer and the antler size of the mature deer is larger. Because of genetics? No. Because of a management program.

My 2cents

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945116 01/31/14 06:00 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I agree with the majority of the article. The controlled area they discuss explains why people will jump on large unhunted properties. Ex: my Inlaws place that isn't hunted typically has more big deer on it on any given year than a 13k acre MLD3 lease that's only a cpl miles down the rd has shot in 10 years.

Re: QDMA [Re: rifleman] #4945117 01/31/14 06:03 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I agree with the majority of the article. The controlled area they discuss explains why people will jump on large unhunted properties. Ex: my Inlaws place that isn't hunted typically has more big deer on it on any given year than a 13k acre MLD3 lease that's only a cpl miles down the rd has shot in 10 years.

Ours is over populated. If I could get the unhunted side of our ranch, I would jump on it without hesitation

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945133 01/31/14 06:23 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I stopped believing QDMA sermons after I saw what their "shoot every doe" preaching did to hunting opportunities in areas where deer numbers were once strong.

I've also been constantly amused at an organization that focuses so much attention on antlers, and yet claims its practices are not about growing trophies.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945678 01/31/14 04:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Chaparrosa Ranch is LF and has been culling all spikes and in all age classes from 2.5 and up since late 1990's. The result is eye opening.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945778 01/31/14 05:46 PM
B
Buccaneer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
^^^^ Can you tell us a bit more about the Chaparrosa Ranch results? I did a quick internet search and didn't find much.

Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4945805 01/31/14 05:58 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
3sided fence ranch in the pines started that in the late 60s and then decided to quit and just shoot mature deer and 3yo <8pts. It's been eye opening as well since range conditions don't fluctuate much and quality hasn't fallen off, nor did it improve much from the intense culling early on.

Re: QDMA [Re: stxranchman] #4945827 01/31/14 06:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Chaparrosa Ranch is LF and has been culling all spikes and in all age classes from 2.5 and up since late 1990's. The result is eye opening.

I started drinking a protein shake for breakfast. ....and lost 50lbs! !!! It was the protein shake, not the running 2 miles a day, plyometrics twice a week, or no dinner or snackes after 5:00

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: QDMA [Re: rifleman] #4945830 01/31/14 06:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
3sided fence ranch in the pines started that in the late 60s and then decided to quit and just shoot mature deer and 3yo <8pts. It's been eye opening as well since range conditions don't fluctuate much and quality hasn't fallen off, nor did it improve much from the intense culling early on.

Miss that ranch

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: QDMA [Re: txshntr] #4945833 01/31/14 06:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I agree with a lot of it, and also agree that many management bucks are taken on properties that will never see a difference, just like some that feed protein. IMO, culling is a tool, along with herd management, counts, improvement of habitat, supplemental feeding, etc. I do believe the control in the study at the King ranch is slightly flawed, mainly because they only took the bucks and, as the article stated, the ratio was out of whack. In a true management program, the entire herd is addressed, not just the males.

Same is true of taking spikes. Taking spikes will do very little on most places. Without additional management practices in place, you are simply taking a buck out of the herd. I can see the benefit when you are working on herd management and start taking the lower percentile of each age class.

Culling will not change the "genetics" of a place, but extensive culling and years of culling can have an impact IMO. We take every crab claw and no-brow buck we see. These two traits were prevailent in out area 20 years ago. Now, we might see one a year. Did we change the genetics? No. We improved the herd by implementing more than just culling. The better deer and more desired deer were the ones surving to maturity. Both traits are still in out herd, but they don't make it long.

Our ranch is 10k acres. We hunt 6500 and 3500 is not hunted. The traits are common on the 3500 and rare on the 6500. Also, based on drives, TC, the rancher, and the few times a year I sit over there, the hunted side actually has better deer and the antler size of the mature deer is larger. Because of genetics? No. Because of a management program.

My 2cents

X2

Re: QDMA [Re: Texas Dan] #4945843 01/31/14 06:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I stopped believ g QDMA sermons after I saw what their "shoot every doe" preaching did to hunting opportunities in areas where deer numbers were once strong.

I've also been constantly amused at an organization that focuses so much attention on antlers, and yet claims its practices are not about growing trophies.

While I'm not a fan of QDMA as an organization (land owner rights issue), I'm pretty sure the property that happend just read what they wanted to and that was shoot does, not the find CC, define ratio, and the kill does to get there.

If you are all about high densities then I suggest you hunt the hill country.

I haven't seen a property that couldbt benefit with less doe numbers, including my own and we shoot all we have tags for

Re: QDMA [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4945844 01/31/14 06:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I started drinking a protein shake for breakfast. ....and lost 50lbs! !!! It was the protein shake, not the running 2 miles a day, plyometrics twice a week, or no dinner or snackes after 5:00

Until you have been there and seen the results you can keep brushing it off that culling/killing spikes does not work on any LF place. They did not use food plots or protein feeders back when I was able to visit there. Just used numbers control to keep pop numbers in check. Over all herd quality bottom to top has increased since they started this management program.

Re: QDMA [Re: Buccaneer] #4945846 01/31/14 06:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: buccaneer
^^^^ Can you tell us a bit more about the Chaparrosa Ranch results? I did a quick internet search and didn't find much.

You won't find much on the internet about it.

Re: QDMA [Re: rifleman] #4945930 01/31/14 07:03 PM
B
B-swit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

ha! This is true.

Re: QDMA [Re: stxranchman] #4945948 01/31/14 07:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Until you have been there and seen the results you can keep brushing it off that culling/killing spikes does not work on any LF place. They did not use food plots or protein feeders back when I was able to visit there. Just used numbers control to keep pop numbers in check. Over all herd quality bottom to top has increased since they started this management program.

Never said it doesn't work, I've always said its part of a bigger picture. I've also always said that people should focus on what they have the resourses to do.

there are certain properties that even I hunt would benefit with a heavy lower age spike harvest from a pure herd population perspective. With that said the resources to do so effectivley aren't there...yet.

The chaparossa is a premier ranch in size( 80k), native quality (w/ resourses to get there and maintain it.)

Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4946077 01/31/14 08:05 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'd bet they have a lot of avg deer running around to, just with 80k they can have more numbers in the upper end of quality. Would bet they also still have to do a lot of shooting of the undesirables that are still there despite their efforts.

Re: QDMA [Re: B-swit] #4946083 01/31/14 08:06 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: B-swit

ha! This is true.

You always seem to show up when I least expect you to bolt

Y'all have more turkeys and hogs though! grin

Re: QDMA [Re: rifleman] #4946449 01/31/14 11:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I'd bet they have a lot of avg deer running around to, just with 80k they can have more numbers in the upper end of quality. Would bet they also still have to do a lot of shooting of the undesirables that are still there despite their efforts.

I will let you keep thinking you are correct....

Re: QDMA [Re: BOBO the Clown] #4946457 01/31/14 11:38 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Never said it doesn't work, I've always said its part of a bigger picture. I've also always said that people should focus on what they have the resourses to do.

there are certain properties that even I hunt would benefit with a heavy lower age spike harvest from a pure herd population perspective. With that said the resources to do so effectivley aren't there...yet.

The chaparossa is a premier ranch in size( 80k), native quality (w/ resourses to get there and maintain it.)

Resources are there...ADCP or MLD will get you the permits to do so if you really wanted to. The only thing extra that it takes is a management plan, then ammo and some willing shooters.

Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4946522 02/01/14 12:20 AM
T
TreeBass Offline OP
Old Weller
OP Offline
Old Weller
T
Lots of differing opinions on this. We've been MLD for around 9-10 years I guess, and the last couple of years it's been interesting.

Our biologist says we are close to a 1-2 buck doe ratio. I believe we should be seeing more mature deer than we have been, but when you have "horn" hunters on the lease that don't really care to shoot the does, it seems like a lost cause.

I plan on discussing this with the LO to try to get him back on track and enforce a "doe kill or two" before a buck can be taken.

With 8 buck tags, and 18 doe tags, with 6 bucks taken, and only 6 does taken to date, our biologist will not be pleased unless we get busy in the next few weeks.

This will be the third year we have fallen short on taking our doe numbers, and I believe it's taking an impact.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: QDMA [Re: TreeBass] #4946528 02/01/14 12:24 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
So.....feed your deer good nutrition and let them age to 6.5 years? Sounds like it will work to me!

Re: QDMA [Re: stxranchman] #4946703 02/01/14 02:38 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

I will let you keep thinking you are correct....

Cuz I is or they wouldn't be shooting and culling every age class, every fawn that hit the ground would be a super freak. That can't even be done 100% of the time in breeder pens let alone 80k.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide