Page 1 of 2 1 2
which tree stand type do you like and why? #4935893 01/27/14 05:51 AM
F
foodieguy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Am in the market for a stand to use next season, hoping to get on on sale now that they are on clearance. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it most likely will be used on public land. I've hunted some on a ladder stand that was already on my lease, it was OK.

I don't like heights and I have a poor sense of balance. I already have a harness and use it every time. What features should I look for? What is your preference and why? thanks all!

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4935926 01/27/14 06:32 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I prefer the ladder stands over the chain on. Hunted one year in Kansas and it cured me of buying another...Felt like I was in a canoe in a hurricane. Swear that tree moved 10' in both directions bang

Bigger the better. I bought a two man so I would have the room. Not ideal for public if you have to haul it in and out each time.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4935934 01/27/14 06:58 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
If the trees allow I like Climbers, Summit being my choice.
If the trees don't allow ladder stands
hang on stands are least favorite, remind me of a small stool hung on side of tree, does not inspire confidence to me. Sure the are solid but I like a chair.

What ever one you get, do not forget a good safety harness.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4935966 01/27/14 11:09 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I like to use climbers, and have 2 of them, I like to get 25-30 feet up when possible. If its a easy walk into where I am going I will take my summit titan, but if I have to walk into a area that has lots of thick cover then I will use my Lone Wolf Hand Climber as it packs down much flatter.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4936081 01/27/14 01:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: foodieguy
Am in the market for a stand to use next season, hoping to get on on sale now that they are on clearance. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it most likely will be used on public land. I've hunted some on a ladder stand that was already on my lease, it was OK.

I don't like heights and I have a poor sense of balance. I already have a harness and use it every time. What features should I look for? What is your preference and why? thanks all!

Most public places don't allow you to leave stands over night, so I'd look at a climber.

Summit or lone wolf. Both are great, most public is walk in so send the money and go with the lightest.

Summit as the optional bar(kind of encloses you in).

I have summit viper, but ill probably upgrade to lone wolf this year, just go to weight and built in bow holder

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4936263 01/27/14 03:00 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I prefer ladder stands. That said I've used lock on stands, I have three, and this last fall I bought and used a climber for my Missouri hunt. I think having a variety keeps me flexible enough to take on whatever situation comes around.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4936276 01/27/14 03:05 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I use the cheap $50 ones.. think they are game winner.. lock ons.. Never had a problem with them and will keep buying them. For steps I just get the small screw in steps since they are cheap... it comes with a harness also...which id just go get a good one then mess with that tangled mess of seatbelt.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4936280 01/27/14 03:06 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
OH one thing is if you can find one with an oversized platform on sale... get it... they are nice.. but I cant justify another $40 to get one when they arnt on sale

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: Navasot] #4936416 01/27/14 04:03 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot
OH one thing is if you can find one with an oversized platform on sale... get it... they are nice.. but I cant justify another $40 to get one when they arnt on sale

do you stand to shoot on the small platform stands or shoot sitting? i bought two used ones last summer and hung one this year, no thanks, they will be for sale shortly. i would definitely go with the bigger platform.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: jshouse] #4936820 01/27/14 06:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Navasot

do you stand to shoot on the small platform stands or shoot sitting? i bought two used ones last summer and hung one this year, no thanks, they will be for sale shortly. i would definitely go with the bigger platform.

ill stand and sit to shoot in the small ones... I usually have a harness on so I regularly stand on the end of the platform and lean out till the harness catches me... its surprisingly comfortable for those long sits. I got one in a cedar tree that I don't even have a harness in and will stand to shoot... just got use to how the tree moves I guess... and I figured its got enough small flexible branches that it would just hurt a bit on the way down if I did fall...

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4936826 01/27/14 06:49 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
The large platforms are more comfortable for sure... let me know when your ready to sell them small ones though lol

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4937355 01/27/14 10:12 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Look up woodsie stands. That is the best lock on stand made, hands down. I like to carry a Muddy Stand or Lone Wolf when I hunt out of state bc they are easy to carry with me and easy to go in and hang. I dont use climbers that much but I like the higher end Lone Wolf and Summits.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4937368 01/27/14 10:15 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i did use a buddies summit viper sd this year and it was very nice, light enough, big enough, i liked it. the problem with climbers around here is finding a good tree,

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4937373 01/27/14 10:16 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Lol climbers make me feel like a dummy

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4937393 01/27/14 10:27 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I use both. With a ladder stand you can hike in and everything is set up and good to go- just climb on up. The climber requires a little more time to put on the tree.
Still, I really prefer the climber because you can get up a lot higher and IMHO it really makes a difference. The climber is also your "safety" harness as you move up the tree. With a ladder most folks don't bother with a safety harness until AFTER they have climbed the ladder and got into the stand. There is a remote chance of falling as you step from ladder rung to stand.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: Dave Scott] #4937747 01/28/14 12:58 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Since the OP has stated it will be used on public land, my first choice would be a light weight climber. My next choice would be a aluminum lock-on and a set of climbing sticks. No way would I be draggin in a ladder stand.
Now, huntin a private spot, I use lock-ons. I can put it where I need it without worrying that there are no trees suitable for my climber. Then I hunt some places that my climber is better. I shot my deer this year out of my climber. Also, learn to shoot your bow sitting down. I don't know how many people told me that they missed their shot because when they stood up, their stand either squeaked or popped and the deer ran off.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: sqiggy] #4938179 01/28/14 04:31 AM
F
foodieguy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Hi all, I am the OP and really appreciate your replies. Some follow up info/questions.

So the public place I hunt allows you to leave the stands up for the season. Several mentioned using climbers, are they OK to leave up and use climbing sticks to get up the tree? I don't know much about them. Was curious to see if that would be a faster way of getting settled in when it's dark. I'd be able to scout for a good tree I think.

Are climbers safer by design? How long does it to set them up and climb 15 feet or so? I guess you'd need a tree with no low branches for a climber, right?

If I can't find a good tree a hang on would be my next choice.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4938348 01/28/14 11:49 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
You do not want to leave a climber up is a tree and use sticks to get to it. I personally feel climbers are no more dangerous then hang on stands. As to how long it takes I can be up a tree to 20+ feet in under 5 min. Yes you need to find trees with no low branches or at least ones you cant trim. If I were to be hunting in public land and wanted to leave my stand out there I would use a hangon style, and remove atleast the bottom ladder so others couldn't get to my stand. Also 15 feet up is a little low I personally think for using a tree stand. I would go atleast 20 to the foot platform. The big advantage to the hangon stand is that you have a lot more flexability on how you hang it since you can work around branches.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4938349 01/28/14 11:50 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Oh and don't use either a climber or hangon stand on any tree with the loose shaggy type of bark, only a hard bark like on maples and oak trees. If you do use it on the loose shaggy bark tree you can end up with your stand sliding out from under you.

Last edited by cmorsch; 01/28/14 11:51 AM.
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4938834 01/28/14 04:09 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: foodieguy
Are climbers safer by design? How long does it to set them up and climb 15 feet or so? I guess you'd need a tree with no low branches for a climber, right?

If I can't find a good tree a hang on would be my next choice.
The climbers I use, I make myself. But to answer your ???, once you master the set up and the climb, you won't need any sticks and no need to leave it up a tree. I can set mine up in about 5 minutes and takes me a couple minutes to shimmy up the tree. Instead of leaving it on the tree on public ground, pack it out(most if not all store bought have back pack straps) or take it off the tree and cover it up with leaves or brush where you can't see it. Also, another little hint, tie the 2 pieces together with a rope while you climb. That way, if your foot ever slips off from the bottom, it doesn't fall down the tree trunk, leaving you stranded. I also take a small hand saw in case there are some small limbs and on my way up, I just cut them off till I get about 18 ft up. I don't know about store bought climbers, but mine, you want a bark that the climber can "bite" into. Pine trees, oak, sweet gum trees and elm are good. Slick bark like pin oak and a hard bark like hickory and black jack are no good. Don't get me wrong, you can still climb them, just have to be real careful.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4939220 01/28/14 06:07 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Just for the record, I killed a doe sitting on a limb with my feet rested on one below it. Whatever it takes. Big platform, small platform, no platform . . .

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4939267 01/28/14 06:25 PM
E
East Texas Archery & Bait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
climber. go anywhere you want any time you want to go.

East Texas Archery - Bait & Tackle.
Mt.Vernon, TX. 75457
903-588-9200
1001 Texas Hwy 37 S
Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4940324 01/29/14 01:37 AM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I mostly use ladder stand. I started using a hang on this year and really liked it. Krooked Oak Treestands. They adjust for those not so straight trees.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: foodieguy] #4942888 01/30/14 04:28 AM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Ladder stands for me. This past year, I bought two Millenium ladder stands. Easy to put up. Safe and steady. And most importantly, at least to me, they are actually quite comfortable.

Re: which tree stand type do you like and why? [Re: East Texas Archery & Bait] #4943152 01/30/14 01:14 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: East Texas Archery & Bait
climber. go anywhere you want any time you want to go.

maybe in pine country, not where i'm at in NE texas, its pretty tough to find a good tree for a climber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide