Forums46
Topics539,098
Posts9,745,330
Members87,138
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane #493694 11/26/08 06:27 AM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I see people spend a forune on cammo and when it comes down to it you got to wear orange hunter vest, orange hed gear and the cammo turns out to be just a waste of money, (but you do look good til you don the safety gear.) save your money and wear some sensible blue denim under that most deer cant see the difference anyway. the price of cammo will get you another good hunting rifle. and just as good results.I have killed many a good buck wearing just my blue denims and save lots of money, I dont pay attention o hunting magazines and their "experts' they are only out to make a buck and sell you something.

TexasPatriot.308
Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: texaspatriot.308] #493695 11/26/08 07:50 AM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Cammo is so cool.

I wear a black hoody in my pop ups. Also I figure I look like a black cow walking across the pasture to the blind If I walk slow:)

Last edited by Big Daddy K; 11/26/08 07:53 AM.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: texaspatriot.308] #493696 11/26/08 12:12 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When folks ask me what type of camo I recommend when coming out for a javelina hunt, I tell them whichever pattern will make them feel most comfortable in camp.

I can really understand folks wearing a lot of camo when bow hunting, even though Fred Bear did it for a long time and quite successfully I might add before there was camo clothing.

But rifle hunters, setting in an enclosed blind 100 to 150 yards away from a feeder.

For turkey hunting and waterfowl hunting I can definitely see needing camo.

For rifle hunters it is a fashion statement pure and simple. JMO.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Crazyhorse] #493697 11/26/08 01:06 PM
B
BChambers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I disagree to a certain extent. Yesterday morning I was sitting against the base of a cedar, expecting the bucks to come out about 100 yds away. Luckily I was in camo, because 3 does walked out just 10 ft away (luckily upwind). I kept still, and they didn't even suspect I was there-so they didn't spook and ruin my morning hunt prematurely.

You're right, camo does little good at rifle ranges, but I encounter enough situations like this to keep on using it.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: BChambers] #493698 11/26/08 02:02 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Disagreeing is fine as we have all had differing experiences, I have stood in the middle of a pasture road in a white "T" shirt and blue jeans and shot a doe off hand at about 70 yards that was standing watchimng me walk down the road.

Just from my experience, as long as you were still and upwind, those deer were not going to notice you anyway, unless you would have been dressed in an all white outfit.

Dressed in dark colored clothes and setting or standing against a dark background makes a person almost invisible to animals.

Animals, with few exceptions actually see colors, they do see differences between light and dark.

Working the wind, and being still are two of the most important things a hunter can do, regardless of the clothing they are wearing. JMO.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: BChambers] #493699 11/26/08 02:08 PM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Camo serves two functions....concealment and style. When I'm varmit, duck or walk/stalk hunting I feel it is somewhat necessary. For me camo is my hunting clothes so I will also wear it in the blind as well (part of the gear). Years ago hunters didn't wear camo, use scopes and utilize all the new technology stuff but they still were successful. Choice is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by TexasVine; 11/26/08 02:11 PM.
Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Crazyhorse] #493700 11/26/08 02:10 PM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
When I was deer hunting up in Minnesota.. in Blaze orange coveralls. I had 3 deer walk right next (5-10 feet) to me with my back against a tree. never saw me ..I didn't shoot as they were does and i only had a buck tag.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Texpppr] #493701 11/26/08 03:59 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Well I wear camo, because I can't find any other warm clothes that serve the function for me. I could care less about the patterns, I just want something that is warm and comfortable. And yes on warm days I hunt in blue jeans and a T shirt.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: helomech] #493702 11/26/08 04:10 PM
B
BYPATHofNIGHT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This summer me and my son-in-law were hunkered down in some tall grass waiting to ambush some wild hogs. At dawn, 4 whitetails came in and grazed right up to us. They saw us for sure, but we stayed still. The checked us both out extensively, but hung around for about a half hour, sometimes within 10 feet. I was in full camo and my son-in-law in jeans and a yellow "hoodie". We were down wind, and they paid him no more attention than me. I still wear the camo, though, because I like it. Sorry for the long answer.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: helomech] #493703 11/26/08 04:26 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
In my short 2 year experience as a hunter, I can say I have had deer come within 20 feet of me while wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt, and i have had deer spot me while fully camo'd and run off even though I was totally motionless.

Just like wind, where i have seen and shot deer on windy and calm days, I feel it's a toss up.

TxP

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: BYPATHofNIGHT] #493704 11/26/08 04:29 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Wearing camo is fine if that is what a person wants to do, the beauty of living in America and the Freedom of Personal Choice in such things.

To me, camo is one of those things that if it makes a person a more confident hunter, that is great.

I don't use the stuff that much, but I do have some camo and at times I will wear it.

I guess one of the BIGGIES that turned me away from camo is shows like the Hunters Extravaganza.

Folks wandering around trying to see who can out camo who, but if that is what floats a persons boat than hit the water.

Personally, I will stick with using the wind and being able to be still as my camo. JMO.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone And Be Safe If You Are Traveling.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: texaspatriot.308] #493705 11/26/08 04:54 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
One, I don't where hunter orange and two, I have never worn a pear of blue jeans that kept me warm all day outside hunting.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: cbump] #493706 11/26/08 05:07 PM
B
bradshaw02 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I wear hunter orange in the national forest because I have to. I have a camo jacket that I wear if it is cold but I usually just wear blue jeans and a dark shirt under the hunter orange if it isn't too cold. Something just to cover up my arms so the color doesn't stick out. Same thing for my face. I do wear a camo facemask to keep my face from shining amongst the trees. Carhart overalls work well where I hunt because the material goes through briar patches very well.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: bradshaw02] #493707 11/26/08 05:23 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I wear camo since those are my hunting clothes and don't care about them getting torn and dirty. I also like to get out of the blind and stalk a little if nothing is moving. I don't like ripping up my work clothes like jeans and slacks on stickers and stuff. If it is hot though, I am wearing shorts, tennis shoes to the blind and a dark shirt.

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Txduckman] #493708 11/26/08 07:51 PM
H
HuntingLegend4 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Same here Txduckman

You haven't lived until you've hunted.
Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: HuntingLegend4] #493709 11/26/08 08:26 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Well.... I do like my camo. It's the same as liking certain types of clothes to work in etc. My wife says I have too many green shirts, I like green! My camo consists of brown wranglers and a camo shirt and cap. I think it helps, but don't care if it doesn't. I like it. As far as orange goes, the deer don't seem to notice that color from what I can tell, but that won't keep me from wearing my camo coat under my vest. It's a hunting coat, and to get the features I want in a hunting coat, it's a given that it will be some type of camo!

I could drive foreign import car to work too-my boss won't know the difference as long as I'm there on time! Guess what! I drive what I like instead...

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: pyledriver] #493710 11/26/08 09:55 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
i wore camo but in military, got one camo hoodie but got it for christmas last year, usally i where , when cold cahart insulated coveralls, i believe deer are color blind , all u need is to make sure where your sitting you break up your outline, but most of time deer that ive hunted dont know what a outline of a human looks like they just dont like your smell.......

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: texasd] #493711 11/26/08 10:04 PM
B
BigBow Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
don't wear hunters orange....I think Camo is a must when bowhunting in west texas due to the lack of tall trees,,,had to hid in a 10 mequite tree in december....

if you are riffle hunting in a box, jeans, tees shirts coats, birthday suit, what ever it dont matter

Re: cammoing up amd then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: BigBow] #493712 11/26/08 11:22 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
haha..birthday suit.

Re: camoing up and then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: texaspatriot.308] #493713 11/26/08 11:24 PM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Quote:

I see people spend a forune on cammo and when it comes down to it you got to wear orange hunter vest, orange hed gear and the cammo turns out to be just a waste of money, (but you do look good til you don the safety gear.) save your money and wear some sensible blue denim under that most deer cant see the difference anyway. the price of cammo will get you another good hunting rifle. and just as good results.I have killed many a good buck wearing just my blue denims and save lots of money, I dont pay attention o hunting magazines and their "experts' they are only out to make a buck and sell you something.

camo.....not cammo i never wear hunter orange. i do wear camo when i bow hunt, which is always!

Re: camoing up and then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: TXBowhunter1] #493714 11/26/08 11:36 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I've had plenty of deer staring in my direction and the orange doesn't send them running. Although I can't see anyone shooting at me while I'm in a treestand, I wear it the whole time (traveling to/from stands and during the hunt) just because Id rather a deer run off than get a big fat ticket! Hunting out of state is expensive enough as it is

Re: camoing up and then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Exbellicus] #493715 11/26/08 11:43 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Deer aren't completely color blind. The wavelengths of light that they can see compared to us are just shifted to the right on the color spectrum. We can see red,orange,yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet on the spectrum. To a deer, red, yellow, orange, and green look very similar. They can see blue, indigo, violet, and into the UV spectrum. Bluejeans, especially washed in regular laundry soap with UV brighteners would stand out to a deer much more than blaze orange.

This link explains it better.

http://home.comcast.net/~gefferts/deervis.htm

Last edited by Palehorse; 11/26/08 11:51 PM.
Re: camoing up and then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Palehorse] #493716 11/27/08 12:00 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Don't forget that blaze orange is practically useless in darkness. For that reason, I always carry a flashlight when walking to and from my stand, even on private land.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: camoing up and then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Palehorse] #493717 11/27/08 05:56 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Quote:

Deer aren't completely color blind. The wavelengths of light that they can see compared to us are just shifted to the right on the color spectrum. We can see red,orange,yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet on the spectrum. To a deer, red, yellow, orange, and green look very similar. They can see blue, indigo, violet, and into the UV spectrum. Bluejeans, especially washed in regular laundry soap with UV brighteners would stand out to a deer much more than blaze orange.

This link explains it better.

http://home.comcast.net/~gefferts/deervis.htm

I think they are testing our vision on that page...ouch! It hurts my eyes to read it!

Re: camoing up and then having to cover up with hunter safety orane [Re: Palehorse] #493718 11/27/08 05:57 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So what your saying is that all of the deer/antelope/elk and other assorted critters I have killed were just stupid, because they should have seen me, because I was wearing blue jeans and in many cases blaze orange at the same time???

Sorry, I don't trust studies like that, sort of like the ones the company that was selling the scent-loc clothing did.

If I am not mistaken a law suit was filed and won over such a study.

I could be wrong, but usually such studies as that one are funded by someone trying to market a product. JMO.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide