Print Thread
You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not #4929513 01/23/14 10:23 PM
D
DuckCommanderCowboy28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
So the let's ask the simple question or complicated for some people . You meet someone who is new to duck hunting . They are as greenhorn as they get . You have the spots an the knowledge to show them the ropes . Well .. Do you ? Do you take the time out to teach someone how to do something you are very passionate about ? Or do you pass on it . When you take them are you more out to help or more out to get frustrated ? Or is it just an excuse to have some new guy who doesn't know any better to be your MULE . Let's find out . Please explain your thoughts ? How helpful are you or non helpful ? What's to much or not enough ? Have fun let's see some good responses . Thanks !

I'm that kinda person :
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/23/14 10:23 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man.
[Linked Image]
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929528 01/23/14 10:29 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Can you repeat the question please

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929540 01/23/14 10:33 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'm very helpful to somebody I already know that decides they wanna try duck hunting. I don't care even if the break the golden rule and hunt a spot I showed them without me. I've done this a lot over the last few years of Duck Dynasty success.

I'll help somebody I don't know with tactics and understanding duck math in general (kinda the purpose of a forum), but as far as spots they're on their own.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929560 01/23/14 10:41 PM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
If they wear duck dynasty stuff, I point them towards the marinas. I mean, marinas always hold mallards and those elusive white goose birds.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929606 01/23/14 10:55 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I've offered to have several THFers tag along with me this year. Not that I ever had a ton of birds or a ton of expertise, but I've been happy to at least try to help. Granted, none of them could actually make it happen (or I could not when they could), so the only newbie I've taken this year was a good friend.

My brother did it for me with beginning duck hunting (I've mentioned this elsewhere), and I'm happy to return the favor and try to make some new hunting friends.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929611 01/23/14 10:56 PM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I've actually helped out a lot of beginners, especially youngsters! Someone needs to help them out because not all of them have a mentor or father that duck hunts or even hunts at all. I was lucky to grow up with a family of hardcore duck hunters.

I usually take new hunters to private stuff because (1) the birds are usually going to decoy good, (2) I don't have to worry if they are going to bring all their friends back, like I would on public(had it happen once......just once)

I like teaching beginners why we set up the decoys the way we did, how to hunt the wind, build blinds, and how to ID birds in air and ID their birds in the blind.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929783 01/24/14 12:04 AM
C
cody Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
This is duck hunting, not a charity. Maybe one day UNICEF will get into the duck hunting business...but until then, you'll have to watch duck dynasty to learn how to put on black makeup.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929821 01/24/14 12:22 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I took out a newbie (gf's nephew/my sometimes fishing buddy) once this year. All he did was go to watch and be a mule. He knew this beforehand and had no problem with it. He's pretty eager to go back even to just watch again. I even convinced him to clean some birds the other day (from a trip he didn't go on) just to "prove his worth."
Gotta build that trust. smirk

[Linked Image]

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4929828 01/24/14 12:25 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If I thought I could offer something helpful I would

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4930158 01/24/14 02:23 AM
T
txhunter08 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I always offer to help. I was self taught and picked up a few pointers from who ever I could. So I pay it forward when I get the chance

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4930189 01/24/14 02:31 AM
T
Team Fat Sack Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Try to be as helpful as I can without giving up too many secrets

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4930201 01/24/14 02:35 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've taken a few newbies out that were friends who are now hooked. I taught myself everything I know, everyone in my family thinks duck hunting is stupid. I've gone from killing 15-20 ducks a year to over 150 a year the last few seasons. It woulda been nice to have someone teach me everything but I'm proud of the fact that I was able to completely learn all on my own. However I never pass up listening to someone with more knowledge than me, there's always more to learn.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: Erichugh22] #4930302 01/24/14 03:05 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I've taken a few newbies out that were friends who are now hooked. I taught myself everything I know, everyone in my family thinks duck hunting is stupid. I've gone from killing 15-20 ducks a year to over 150 a year the last few seasons. It woulda been nice to have someone teach me everything but I'm proud of the fact that I was able to completely learn all on my own. However I never pass up listening to someone with more knowledge than me, there's always more to learn.

Im kinda in the same boat, I was introduced by my grandpa who is disabled so while I picked up a few pointers from him, I pretty much had to play trial and error. LOTS of mistakes, but it sure is rewarding to look back and see how far you've come. My first season I killed a total of 4 ducks. A mallard, a bluebill, and two gaddies. Now several years later im happy to say that im in the 175ish mark for the season. I went from old tennis shoes and a golf ball retriever, to training my own dog. I think duck hunting is more about the drive, spending time with your loved ones and buddies, and the all around experience. And for me theirs no more holy time than on some of those perfect sunrise mornings.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4930363 01/24/14 03:25 AM
P
pmgoffjr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
I offer a lot, don't get a lot of takers, and will always make the first few trips as painless as possible. Truly blessed this year when my daughter asked to go, and true to her nature, carried her load. Makes a dad pretty proud indeed.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4931306 01/24/14 04:25 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
We've taken a few. Some have gotten hooked, and join us every year now.
This year it was one of my sons friends, and my daughters boyfriend.
Daughters boyfriend wanted a duck hunt, instead of a Christmas present.
He has been with us on 5 hunts now.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4931330 01/24/14 04:32 PM
A
ARQuacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Generally, I'm all about taking new folks out and teaching them ropes.

However, be a [censored] and I'm cutting you loose. I've got no time for that.

Alan

Green light. GO!
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4931566 01/24/14 06:09 PM
D
DuckCommanderCowboy28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Great answers so far ! Thank you for all who have shared with us . Awesome to read some of the responses

He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man.
[Linked Image]
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4931580 01/24/14 06:18 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I like to say I'm a hard core mean duck hunter that won't help noone.

And then I just throw all that out the window, and usually take a few new folks every year.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4931707 01/24/14 07:32 PM
817cd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I took a new guy out this year a few times. One of my buddies little brothers. I should have guessed but when it came down to it I think the whole reason he was out there was to imitate DD. He didn't have any of their clothing or anything at first. After the first trip out where he was just fine to have out and learned a little he bought a bunch of Duck commander calls. I had spent a long time explaining how decoys and calling and when and how to shoot. all a waste of breath.

The next trip out I noticed the sudden accumulation of calls I let him call a few times and he actually had learned how to from you tube pretty well. I was expecting duck farts instead of calls. He was very frustrated with me for making him stay in the blind because there were a hundred birds down on the other end of the lake.(private) The shooting was fast paced early but got slow. I had shot a limit and he was 3 shy. He wanted to know if he could call them over off the water.

Well when I got out of the blind at the end of the hunt to pull dekes and pickup the last bird I told him to stay ready in case some flew by. I go out and around and sure enough another group comes in. I whistle to him but he's gone. I see him run out of the brush on the far end of the lake scare off the other group of birds and start sky blasting then to my astonishment start blowing the DC calls after missing the first three shots reload and do it again the birds are probably 120 yards out at this point. He had wounded a lone gadwall that came back around.

At this point I am just hacked and continue to pick up the dekes.I had let him shoot a box of my shells since he left his. He comes running back yelling about the wounded bird and how we need to go get and If I had seen him in action. I replied I told you to stay in the blind. You could have had easy shooting with the group that flew over while your chasing dreams. or something along those lines. He was very proud of himself and regardless of my comments continued to be so.

I gave him another shot because he was very helpful each time in sharing the work load and because his brother is my best hunting partner and does a ton of work. he asks me if he can do all the calling this time around I said some as long as you don't get too excited and let us tell you when. We are with two other guys this time. He ends up on the far side of the blind from me. The other guys have their calls and are not into messing around. They try to help and teach him as well. But as the shooting gets good he beigns to call at every last duck moving his around as he goes and switching calls. Im done mentoring at this point. He starts claiming ducks and picks ones that the rest of us know he didnt't shoot etc etc... His lanyard was taken away and hidden from him until he lost it. We were going to take all his reeds out but didn't actually want to do any damage by loosing them or anything.

SO the next time I go out I invite his brother. On the way out
I give him a call he informs me he is in the truck with his younger brother. I replied that I didn't really want to take him. He was on speaker. I hear him start to throw a fit and then get really sarcastic texts from him. Anyway I love the family but I am done hunting with little brother. At least until more experience is gained. I am done taking newbies or rookies who have not committed to learn how to actually hunt. If I do they will not be allowed to have a gun or calls regardless of how good they can use them until I see they have an idea of what is going on. I think the guy will be a good hunter one day and he does appreciate it but man has one tv show changed the sport. Im glad more guys want to get into it but wheewww....

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Never used photoshop and never will. Photoshop is for liberals.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4932707 01/25/14 04:51 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Taking a coworker out tomorrow, who's only jumped tanks. Im no master, but hopefully things turn out good

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4932740 01/25/14 05:26 AM
B
biz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Not in the business of creating new duck hunters we have plenty as is

PULL the TRIGGER, SHOOT to KILL!!!
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: biz] #4933032 01/25/14 02:49 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: biz
Not in the business of creating new duck hunters we have plenty as is

Crotchety old fart!!!! whip lol

I'll take anyone who wants to go as long as they are a nice person and respectful. I have introduced four new guys to the sport this year. All have gotten hooked and are loving it. I took Several co workers last year they are still cool hunting partners! Hunting needs to grow to counter the rapidly growing liberal movements. Won't be to many more years before they win a big blow against us.

Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: DuckCommanderCowboy28] #4933055 01/25/14 03:05 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'm that greenhorn... I wouldn't expect anyone to help, unless we were already friends, or it looked like we were gonna be good friends.
Let's say the duck hunter knew nothing about varmit hunting and I took him and showed him the ropes and we had a good time, come duck season I'd kinda be expecting to go duck hunting...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: You find out who your Friends are ...Or Not [Re: hoof n wings] #4933801 01/26/14 12:56 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I worked.... sat at one pond and knocked off 3, then jumped 8 more. He is a monster now...... I had to explain you can only jump the same tank so many times in a day roflmao
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Taking a coworker out tomorrow, who's only jumped tanks. Im no master, but hopefully things turn out good

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide