Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4907570 01/13/14 06:39 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Don't get me wrong. It's nice to have the ability to sit different areas and adjust for weather patterns. But at least wait until a hunter has filled their buck tag.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4907677 01/13/14 07:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Use them as guest stands on big leases.

Yeah I can see that my place is too small. I killed one of my nicest bucks on one of those "guest" stands located right by the highway many years back. Killed another on the same place at the kids' "oat patch" stand right by the house (no kids there). smile

Ours is too and 1 stand is designated as a kid stand. It's not bc we don't hunt it, the other stands just offer too much temptation and lets them see too much that they can't shoot.

On larger leases I have been on, we have done the 3 stands and no one can have a stand or feeder within 300yds of you (700 on ROWs) and what was yours was yours, 3 stands offered different scenery. On another, each member got a plot of 100-300 acres to put as many stands as they want on. Then there were 15-20 50-100 acre plots designated as open/guest stands that everyone pitched in to plant & feed. Several guys oversee budgeting to make sure it happens how it's supposed to. The person signed out on the open/guest stands could hunt anywhere on the acreage that makes up that stand.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: rifleman] #4908105 01/13/14 10:34 PM
T
Tylercohunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Tylercohunter
We just got on our first deer lease in Tyler county on timber land last year, and haven't had much luck. There are about 150 acres per hunter, but the way the lease is set up, every member is allowed three "stand sites" and that's where they have to do their deer hunting. A friend recently told us about his lease, which has openings, where every member just gets a block of land about 100 acres or so, and they can hunt wherever they want on that block. I was wondering how y'all's leases are set up, and what your thoughts are on moving to the lease with the blocks of land.

Is your friend's lease also in Tyler Co?

I'm pretty sure it is. If not it's in one if the adjacent counties.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4908187 01/13/14 11:10 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Mine works very good. I am the only one on it and I do as I please.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: passthru] #4908195 01/13/14 11:13 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: passthru
Our lease has the community stand process. It sucks. There are things we could do to make it more palatable but the way it is now sucks. It's the main reason I'm looking for a new lease. It isn't right that you feed year round, put up several stands for different wind directions and someone else can set a camera up and hunt your spot when they barely feed until right up at hunting season, only have one stand poorly placed and never hunt the spot they maintain. There are some guys who make as much effort as you do and you don't mind reciprocating with them at all. But I guess that's in all things in life. Good lease other than that though.

That Is why I would never do community stands. I feed year round and others start a week before season opens. I am not paying for someones poor planning or laziness.

Now there is a hunter on our lease that feeds and manages like I do. I offer my area to him and he does the same to me. My area is mainly bucks and no does. He has mainly does and no bucks. So for the two of us it does work.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4910896 01/15/14 01:52 AM
J
JAHunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
We have almost forty stands on 25K acres. 15 hunters. Blind owner has dibs to hunt his own stuff but otherwise anybody can hunt anything.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4910940 01/15/14 02:13 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
We had 8 stands up last year for 3 hunters. We all split the food plot and feed bill evenly. All cam pics were downloaded on the cabin laptop and everyone had access to all pics. Each person had exclusive access to their first stand on opening weekend and after that it was a draw for the stands. We never had to draw as most stands had lots of pics. We all killed our 2 buck limit and passed on many does. Leases work best when the group is all friends.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Pittstate] #4914991 01/16/14 11:44 PM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
We had 8 stands up last year for 3 hunters. We all split the food plot and feed bill evenly. All cam pics were downloaded on the cabin laptop and everyone had access to all pics. Each person had exclusive access to their first stand on opening weekend and after that it was a draw for the stands. We never had to draw as most stands had lots of pics. We all killed our 2 buck limit and passed on many does. Leases work best when the group is all friends.

and there is plenty of deer to go around.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4915763 01/17/14 06:02 AM
J
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Last year was my first year on a big lease. I'm the ramrod, we have 5k acres and I took 9 members. I told everyone they needed to set up corn & protein feeders ASAP when we secured the lease. It was an every man for yourself type of deal, no hunting others spots w/o permission. Me and another guy set up protein feeders and corn feeders in March. A couple guys set up corn feeders when we did, but no other protein until I set up another one, and another member put one up in August. Three members waited until October to set up (only corn feeders), then they shot the only bucks we killed last year, three bucks that I had been feeding all year, and they shot one out of my stand without telling me (found out through someone else that was there). They also shot a button buck the first day they showed up.

After all that, we are going to an all community system, and you have first dibs on hunting any spot that you set up yourself as long as you are present. It is mandatory that each member supply at least 1corn feeder and 1 free choice protein feeder, set up no later than March. Cost of feed is now figured into the Lease dues as well. It's pretty disheartening to put in all that effort and have someone else reap the benefit. The 3 I mentioned are not invited back next season.

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4915773 01/17/14 06:32 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Ours is open stand but owner has first right. To hunt a feeder, you have to have a feeder. To hunt a blind, you have to have a blind. You can only shoot mature bucks or culls out of another persons stand, doe with permission. Bow hunting only with permission.

We lease around 6500 acres. Terrain varies from open low lands, hills, thick mesquite, and wheat fields. I don't see the point of leasing large land if I am stuck in one location and can't adjust to the movement of the animals if I want too. confused2

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4915859 01/17/14 12:55 PM
W
wfontjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
if hunting made me as miserable as some feel i would quit

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4915889 01/17/14 01:29 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
We pick our area and decide what type of sets we want we hunt 10,000 acres between 10 hunters. We are allowed 1 set in one pasture and 2 in the other because of terrain variation. I "network" with others who have sets I would like to hunt and don't with others that set things up in ways I wouldn't do myself. If we are trading off sets to hunt its understood that certain deer that have been identified are off limits. It's also understood that the approach of the set, exit, and leaving it exactly how you found it have to be discussed and agreed to for the arrangement to start and continue.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4916052 01/17/14 02:45 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Bowhunting a set up is worse than gun hunting. A bowhunter who is not careful with his/her scent will screw up a setup faster than if they sit in a blind a hundred yards away.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4916060 01/17/14 02:48 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We each set up 2 blinds and you have first option on your blinds, but after that anyone can hunt any others' blinds.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: JHeflinland] #4917819 01/18/14 03:49 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: JHeflinland
Last year was my first year on a big lease. I'm the ramrod, we have 5k acres and I took 9 members. I told everyone they needed to set up corn & protein feeders ASAP when we secured the lease. It was an every man for yourself type of deal, no hunting others spots w/o permission. Me and another guy set up protein feeders and corn feeders in March. A couple guys set up corn feeders when we did, but no other protein until I set up another one, and another member put one up in August. Three members waited until October to set up (only corn feeders), then they shot the only bucks we killed last year, three bucks that I had been feeding all year, and they shot one out of my stand without telling me (found out through someone else that was there). They also shot a button buck the first day they showed up.

After all that, we are going to an all community system, and you have first dibs on hunting any spot that you set up yourself as long as you are present. It is mandatory that each member supply at least 1corn feeder and 1 free choice protein feeder, set up no later than March. Cost of feed is now figured into the Lease dues as well. It's pretty disheartening to put in all that effort and have someone else reap the benefit. The 3 I mentioned are not invited back next season.
I'm sorry, but this is plain stupid.
Some people like me, get on a lease to kill deer, not to feed them. I would never get on a place that "made it mandatory" to set up a feeder.
Now hunting somebody else's stand is one thing, but making them put up feeders, corn AND protein, C'mon man!!!

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: sqiggy] #4917890 01/18/14 04:51 AM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: JHeflinland

I'm sorry, but this is plain stupid.
Some people like me, get on a lease to kill deer, not to feed them. I would never get on a place that "made it mandatory" to set up a feeder.
Now hunting somebody else's stand is one thing, but making them put up feeders, corn AND protein, C'mon man!!!

I can see how someone shooting a deer out of your stand would tick you off. On our lease you feed as you please. No mandatory feeding. If a deer you have been feeding walks to another stand and gets shot that's the name of the game. I too would never get on a lease that makes it mandatory to setup feeders. On our lease we have two stands per person. The option to let others hunt your stand is each persons choice.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4924198 01/21/14 06:00 PM
O
Oneshot.308 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I was told when I got on our lease that some members didnt want others hunting their area/blinds period, and some dont mind at all, with their permission. So, me and one other buddy of mine work together out there, and our blinds and feeder are NOT community property, and no one may hunt them without permission whether we are there or not. Our blinds are locked and you have to get the key to access, and we have the keys. We put in alot of work over the last two seasons and we dont mind sharing, as we all paid the same, however, there are times when we will be out there and we would plan to hunt our areas, and we dont want someone else putting pressure there right before we plan to hunt. Just as we wouldnt want to intrude on anothers plan for their area. It's all about respect and cooperation.
In addition,I made a map and each hunters name on a tag which they hang on the stand/area they will be hunting that day, so we all know where somebody is out there so we can be safe.

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4925089 01/22/14 12:58 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I agree with sqiggy and Dwalls on this. Perfectly stated.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Erathkid] #4925822 01/22/14 12:33 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have been on deer leases for 50 years and one of the number one issues I have seen is hunters getting protective of their "area" - I have seen guys lock their stands, get in fights over entering another hunters area (purposely or on accident), etc. We use a community system on first come first serve basis. Feeding, cameras, etc. all done by the lease boss/rancher. I am sure there are ways to make the other way work but I have just seen it lead to lots of problems and resentment. I also would get bored to tears sitting in the same blind/area hunt after hunt

You can't fix stupid
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Oneshot.308] #4925927 01/22/14 01:52 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Oneshot.308
I was told when I got on our lease that some members didnt want others hunting their area/blinds period, and some dont mind at all, with their permission. So, me and one other buddy of mine work together out there, and our blinds and feeder are NOT community property, and no one may hunt them without permission whether we are there or not. Our blinds are locked and you have to get the key to access, and we have the keys. We put in alot of work over the last two seasons and we dont mind sharing, as we all paid the same, however, there are times when we will be out there and we would plan to hunt our areas, and we dont want someone else putting pressure there right before we plan to hunt. Just as we wouldnt want to intrude on anothers plan for their area. It's all about respect and cooperation.
In addition,I made a map and each hunters name on a tag which they hang on the stand/area they will be hunting that day, so we all know where somebody is out there so we can be safe.

DELETED

Last edited by dawaba; 01/22/14 02:53 PM.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4926094 01/22/14 03:06 PM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Been on only a few leases here in Texas the last 18 years, will never do it again. I go hunting to get away from rules and being told what to do. My Dad and I hunt property of a friend we have known for 35 years, no cost, we help him around the farm from time to time. Have built doors for his sheds, worked on his farm equipment, built a corral with concrete pads, etc. He told us a few years ago that as long as he owns the place we will always have a place to hunt. Gave us the keys to his new 4wd Kubota, said to use it to move stands, brush hog, what ever we need. He used his dozer to clear out a small spot by a creek for a camper and keeps it in Bermuda grass. His Dad and Sister told us to hunt their place as well anytime we want, now have close to 3000 acres for just me and my Dad. I go to relax and won't be told what I can and can't do while doing it!

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4934771 01/26/14 06:52 PM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Just me and my SIL..so no issues..5 set ups..and the wheat..

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4934795 01/26/14 07:11 PM
D
DoubleTrouble Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
lol....some guys are a little uptight about deer!

Re: How does your lease work? [Re: passthru] #4934830 01/26/14 07:38 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
Bowhunting a set up is worse than gun hunting. A bowhunter who is not careful with his/her scent will screw up a setup faster than if they sit in a blind a hundred yards away.

Wonder how my great grandpa shot all of those hundreds of deer with a cigar in his mouth. Puffin like a freight train.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: How does your lease work? [Re: Tylercohunter] #4934854 01/26/14 07:53 PM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
We work as little as possible. Usually two work days a year.

Seriously, everyone has at least one set-up. Some have more, as long as they are safe/reasonable distance from existing stands, no one gets to worried about it.

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide