Forums46
Topics538,311
Posts9,735,658
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4915305 01/17/14 01:51 AM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter
Originally Posted By: huck18
. But to answer the OP's question the main thing for me is professionalism. Its not about killing birds, its about making a positive experience. Its more about being out on the water, cutting up, laughing, learning, and experiencing something out of my typical norm. killing birds is just a bonus!

You can go sit by a pond in the middle of a city park and watch ducks all day while cutting it up with your buddies. It won't cost you a dime. But when your paying a guide you are paying them to put you on birds. Hell if that wasn't the case then why do guides bother scouting at all.

I enjoy watching birds work a spread just as much as I enjoy shooting them and if I pay for a hunt and I don't get to see that then in my mind it wasn't worth the cash.

But like anyone who has been doing this long enough knows, just because you see birds in a spot one day doesn't mean they'll be back the next day.

Happened to us a couple weeks ago. Scouted 100's of birds on some public land, went back the next day and they were gone. We saw 5-6 but that was it. It happens, but I didn't have to pay anything. Just my time and sweat.

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4915318 01/17/14 01:56 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
At this rate, id be happy to just find 100s of birds. This past week has been brutal!

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4915371 01/17/14 02:24 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
At this rate, id be happy to just find 100s of birds. This past week has been brutal!

At least if you don't find birds you dont run the chance of being flamed on a public forum. Some guides are bad and just don't care. My cousin had a friend who had a buddy that was a guide up in Maryland who said he could put us on some black mallards. I should have known something was up when he wanted us to pay that morning. I told him my money was in my pocket and since I was already wadered up I asked if I could pay him after hunt. reluctantly he said yes. Well we humped it through the woods to a hole he was running a ice eater on. The whole time he was talking to his buddy and just left us standing by a tree on about 6 inches of ice. Never even saw a duck and all the way back to the pickups he was asking me about my guide service and coming to Texas to hunt. Well it's time to pay and I pull out a check to pay. I thought he would adjust price since we saw NOTHING!! I figure he will charge us $75 each, half of the price since he did have fuel price for ice eater. He charged all 3 of us full price!! I did not tip him. Anyway I shot my black mallard on the bay that afternoon where he should have never been at my friends blind on public by the way. Dang bay was freezing up and we even shot the most coveted duck of them all,,, the majestic mallard over oyster beds. Good thing I had that mallard call on me in the salt water

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Jeff Elder] #4915401 01/17/14 02:39 AM
M
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder

At least if you don't find birds you dont run the chance of being flamed on a public forum. Some guides are bad and just don't care. My cousin had a friend who had a buddy that was a guide up in Maryland who said he could put us on some black mallards.

but elder this is what I was saying. I've heard a lot about your outfit. Without ever meeting you, without a doubt, I know that If I ever had the opportunity to go on a trip with you, regardless of killing birds, we would have a good time. Its the guides like you and a handful of the other guides that frequent this forum that give the bad guides a good rep. and yes I meant it that way. When someone sees yalls post they expect the same treatment by the jackwagon that they're getting a good deal from. When that guide doesn't step up to the plate, then people get irritated and mad at all guides. Just seems to me that the times are changing, and the old saying of common sense is the least common thing in the world rings true. 2cents

Last edited by Merican duck hunter; 01/17/14 02:40 AM.

I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4915464 01/17/14 03:10 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
5 greenheads with a Pintail kicker

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4915493 01/17/14 03:18 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Always helps if there's a good romantic drama on the ipad mini.

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4915525 01/17/14 03:28 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Rooster13
Always helps if there's a good romantic drama on the ipad mini.

You seriously take that with you duck hunting?

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4915526 01/17/14 03:29 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I dont always take guided trips, but when I do, I expect to get slemped.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Jeff Elder] #4915528 01/17/14 03:29 AM
C
Charlito Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

At least if you don't find birds you dont run the chance of being flamed on a public forum. Some guides are bad and just don't care. My cousin had a friend who had a buddy that was a guide up in Maryland who said he could put us on some black mallards. I should have known something was up when he wanted us to pay that morning. I told him my money was in my pocket and since I was already wadered up I asked if I could pay him after hunt. reluctantly he said yes. Well we humped it through the woods to a hole he was running a ice eater on. The whole time he was talking to his buddy and just left us standing by a tree on about 6 inches of ice. Never even saw a duck and all the way back to the pickups he was asking me about my guide service and coming to Texas to hunt. Well it's time to pay and I pull out a check to pay. I thought he would adjust price since we saw NOTHING!! I figure he will charge us $75 each, half of the price since he did have fuel price for ice eater. He charged all 3 of us full price!! I did not tip him. Anyway I shot my black mallard on the bay that afternoon where he should have never been at my friends blind on public by the way. Dang bay was freezing up and we even shot the most coveted duck of them all,,, the majestic mallard over oyster beds. Good thing I had that mallard call on me in the salt water

I hope I see that guy in a dark alley...

Originally Posted By: Richie Incognito
the thing about baiting is, even a rookie hunter could have a 170 bird season if they bait holes
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Charlito] #4915538 01/17/14 03:33 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Charlito

I wish you would have dough popped him

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Jeff Elder] #4915562 01/17/14 03:39 AM
C
Charlito Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I wish you would have dough popped him

Didn't he shoot an 870?

the thing about baiting is, even a rookie hunter could have a 170 bird season if they bait holes
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Jeff Elder] #4915806 01/17/14 10:53 AM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: mohunter
Originally Posted By: garrett
not sure I would use such a broad paint brush, Mark. Every situation is different...I take clients out hunting, and I am not going to take them to one of my holes, I am going to make the boss man pay for it clap

Gotcha, that's completly different, I understand, your not paying for it. We do the same thing with clients, that's what the private lease is for although I have only been to it twice during the first split since public has been so great this year.
Enjoy this weekend.

Can I have your lease in Stevenville then Mark?

You sure can Jeff, if you have 3 grand to waste on a bunch of divers, spooneys, and sprigs, I have not leased that property in three years but the owner called again this year trying to lease it to us.
If you are serious, send me a PM and I will give you the info.

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4915831 01/17/14 12:15 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Oh its just printed paper

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4916003 01/17/14 02:24 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Anyone who's paid any attention to the forum in the past few weeks have seen my last experience with a guide. But to answer the OP's question the main thing for me is professionalism. Its not about killing birds, its about making a positive experience. I never have a problem picking up/putting out decoys, Im pretty much the best hunting buddy ever because I LOVE building blinds. Basically Im not afraid of work, and it doesn't feel like duck hunting if you don't have a little work. Its more about being out on the water, cutting up, laughing, learning, and experiencing something out of my typical norm. killing birds is just a bonus!

I agree.... if someone takes me hunting and we aint killing birds you better be handing me a beer

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Charlito] #4916061 01/17/14 02:48 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B

I doubt that very much Wells Fargo, are you gonna slap him with one of your furry gloves?

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916148 01/17/14 03:23 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
codburn cool it with the personal attacks!

#sigline
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: #Hayraker] #4916167 01/17/14 03:33 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B

Ronnie, its not personal at all. You, Jeff and squeaky get on here all day and troll people. Just a little of what y'all have been handing out to me for 18 months. If its hurting your feelings then stay off my thread.

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916189 01/17/14 03:41 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
You can always tell how thin skinned they are by the "What do you expect from hunting guides?" threads. Have a good year guys its time for me to get my last week of hunting killing in and get back to work. See yall in the fall...

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916217 01/17/14 03:50 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
have a good one killer!

#sigline
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916285 01/17/14 04:13 PM
M
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

Ronnie, its not personal at all. You, Jeff and squeaky get on here all day and troll people. Just a little of what y'all have been handing out to me for 18 months. If its hurting your feelings then stay off my thread.

whos squeaky?

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916303 01/17/14 04:21 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I think he's part of the apple dumpling gang.

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916353 01/17/14 04:39 PM
C
Charlito Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Hey Roger Dorn, I like the Wells Fargo comment. Don't hate since I actually have a real job instead of being the Mike Elias of little league baseball...

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: mohunter] #4916360 01/17/14 04:42 PM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: garrett
not sure I would use such a broad paint brush, Mark. Every situation is different...I take clients out hunting, and I am not going to take them to one of my holes, I am going to make the boss man pay for it clap

Gotcha, that's completly different, I understand, your not paying for it. We do the same thing with clients, that's what the private lease is for although I have only been to it twice during the first split since public has been so great this year.
Enjoy this weekend.

Can I have your lease in Stevenville then Mark?

You sure can Jeff, if you have 3 grand to waste on a bunch of divers, spooneys, and sprigs, I have not leased that property in three years but the owner called again this year trying to lease it to us.
If you are serious, send me a PM and I will give you the info.

Are you going to take me up on my offer to help teach a newbie?

Say When.....
Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Charlito] #4916362 01/17/14 04:42 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Hey Roger Dorn, I like the Wells Fargo comment. Don't hate since I actually have a real job instead of being the Mike Elias of little league baseball...

I like helping good kids get scholarships to D1 schools, now be quiet and fetch my free toaster!

Re: What do you expect from hunting guides? [Re: Ben Lilly] #4916369 01/17/14 04:46 PM
M
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

now be quiet and fetch my free toaster!

rofl

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide