Print Thread
Rest for Diamond Atomic #4909289 01/14/14 02:10 PM
G
Golfman6 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
My daughter shoots a Diamond Atomic and the included Hostage rest is due for replacement. She shoots 4H and 3D, no hunting yet, and uses a release. Her form is great and draw is smooth so full containment from a whisker biscuit is not needed anymore IMO. I have always shot a prong style or WB and aside from fletching wear from the WB, am happy with both. I have zero experience with drop aways but am open to any suggestions.

I have been looking at prong offerings from NAP and Bodoodle and drop aways like the Trophy Taker X-treme FC and the QAD hunter. The strings and cables on this bow are super small and fragile looking and I'm concerned with using them to pull a rest up, and simple tuning would be really nice.

So for those of you who have experience with the small bows, what did you run on them? And budget is important. Would like to stay under $50 if possible as softball season is kicking off too. Thanks for any help you may have!

Re: Rest for Diamond Atomic [Re: Golfman6] #4910542 01/14/14 11:44 PM
G
Gummi Bear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
The Hostage rest is really pretty sketchy. I was not impressed with it on my daughter's first bow (Nuclear Ice)

I put a Whisker Biscuit on for her.

My philosophy with her as a youngster, was to keep a simple and reliable full capture rest on there.

I shot a NAP prong rest for years, they work great and are affordable. Other affordable options from Cobra, AAE and if you want a top-of-the-line prong rest Spot Hogg (about $75)

I know that drop aways are awesome for more experienced archers, but little ones aren't always paying attention to every detail, and that is when problems happen. Also - the cheaper drop away rests are going to have a bunch of moving plastic parts. This is an opportunity for failure. Keep in mind that this bow is going to get dropped, banged into stuff, and filthy if your daughter is out shooting it all the time like mine.

If you insist that you want a drop away, take a look at a used Limbdriver Pro V. It is simple, robust, and easy to set up. Not sure if you can stay within your budget, but it may be worth the few extra bucks. I put one on Mrs bow, and it is a nice rest.

If you plan to keep the bow for any amount of time, replacing the strings can make a dramatic difference. The stock strings are not the highest quality, and quite stretchy. Keep an eye on the specs, make sure that it does not get out of whack (the older bows were prone to cam lean and the timing would get thrown off when the cables would stretch)

Twerpy (my daughter) saved up and put a QAD HDX on her current bow (Hoyt Ruckus). She shoots league, 3D, SYWAT and hunts with me now.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”

Henry David Thoreau
Re: Rest for Diamond Atomic [Re: Golfman6] #4910659 01/15/14 12:23 AM
G
Golfman6 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
That's exactly my thoughts Gummi, keep it simple. I know I never had issues with a WB but wondered about the slower speed and the effects of it. Thanks for reassuring me that a drop away is still a ways off. Really think I am gonna try a NAP quiktune prong style and see how she does. Worst case I'll have a spare for my bow.

What strings do you recommend? I've looked at some on eBay and by Delta Force but not sure if they're any good. Winner's Choice are half the price of the bow which seems ridiculous.

Little mess had her first 3D tournament this past weekend and won her division. Shot a 275 out of possible 360. Seemed decent enough to me.

Re: Rest for Diamond Atomic [Re: Golfman6] #4912732 01/15/14 11:27 PM
E
East Texas Archery & Bait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
There is not a Drop away on the market that will allow you to tune it on an Atomic. the Speed is not there. you will be looking at a WB or a Quick tune 360 Capture rest or a Prong style from NAP.

Dont waste your time on a Drop a way it wont work.

East Texas Archery - Bait & Tackle.
Mt.Vernon, TX. 75457
903-588-9200
1001 Texas Hwy 37 S
Re: Rest for Diamond Atomic [Re: Golfman6] #4912926 01/16/14 01:20 AM
G
Gummi Bear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Holy cow, a 275 is a pretty dang good score! I've posted that a few times. smile

I have really been happy with Korbin Strings. He's out of San Antonio, is a really nice guy, and builds a great string. They are competitive price wise, but not the cheapest. Keep an eye on his site and facebook, or send him an email; he runs sales pretty often, and they are usually significant.

I've bought 4 sets of strings from him now, 2 for my bow, 1 for Twerpy, and 1 for Mrs. I'll buy them again when I finally get around to setting up my target bow (other things have come up, which has set it on the back burner)

http://www.korbinsarchery.com/Default.asp

Keeping that bow in spec is pretty easy, here is the owner manual - http://www.bowtecharchery.com/admin/project/uploads/OM_Youth2_webDMD13.pdf

And the tune chart is here (under "String and Cable") - http://www.diamondarchery.com/#/manualDisplay?r=-1&i=0

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”

Henry David Thoreau
Re: Rest for Diamond Atomic [Re: Golfman6] #4914157 01/16/14 05:01 PM
G
Golfman6 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Alright, changed my mind again and went with the tried and true Whisker Biscuit Kill Shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll just put it on my bow and use the NAP Quiktune 1000 on hers.

Looked into those strings and will find on FB so I can get updates. Always nice to shop somewhat local.

Thank you both for the help with the rest and Gummi Bear for the bonus material, we appreciate it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide