Print Thread
"Teaching" #4904389 01/12/14 01:54 AM
J
JakeJJ Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Let's say you're bringing someone out who's never hunted ducks before. What are the things you stress?

Obviously you go over safety. I personally stress keeping your head down and keeping still. Don't move until I call it. Hopefully they have at least shot skeet before but if not, shot where they are gonna be, not where they are and swing through. Then tell them why I do what I do. My goal is, after the hunt, they have enough knowledge to at least wing it solo.

I bring this up because a lot of the people I'm running into, never had someone help them out and teach them. That's why they shoot comorants and get all huffy when I confront them about it. My advice is free, the game warden's isn't. I don't want to be a snitch but next time the warden gets called.

We interrupt this marriage for hunting season.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4904407 01/12/14 02:03 AM
D
duckman10 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I'm lost, are you calling someone out or asking us a question???

Dry Creek Outfitters - North Texas Duck, Dove, Turkey and Pig Hunts!

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

Re: "Teaching" [Re: duckman10] #4904414 01/12/14 02:07 AM
J
JakeJJ Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Duks-R-Us

Yes.. Just curious if someone teaches something I don't. And getting a rant out in the process.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4904429 01/12/14 02:13 AM
P
PSE-Madman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I go over a lot of the same stuff. One thing I add is that newbies are not to shoot any cripples. I will take care of them so I can make sure the dog does not get shot. I haven't had any one get upset over that yet.

Phillsguideservice.com
Re: "Teaching" [Re: PSE-Madman] #4904440 01/12/14 02:18 AM
D
duckman10 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: PSE-Madman
I go over a lot of the same stuff. One thing I add is that newbies are not to shoot any cripples. I will take care of them so I can make sure the dog does not get shot. I haven't had any one get upset over that yet.

Crips is the only time I shoot! I will never call the shot when my dog is in the water either!

Dry Creek Outfitters - North Texas Duck, Dove, Turkey and Pig Hunts!

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4904453 01/12/14 02:23 AM
J
JakeJJ Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
That's one thing I have to add to my speech. Dog safety. I mention it but don't really stress the point. Haven't had an issue but why push my luck.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4904465 01/12/14 02:29 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
i stress them not coming back to my spot with thier other buddies

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4904689 01/12/14 04:05 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: JakeJJ
Originally Posted By: Duks-R-Us

Yes.. Just curious if someone teaches something I don't. And getting a rant out in the process.
You have to deal with a ton of knuckle heads where you hunt! Just call every time you see a violation! Those folks where you hunt know everything and do not want your help. I have watched/dealt with them for years. I hunt public only IF I know the ducks are thick, and if the X is at least a 2 mile walk from the parking lot.

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4905081 01/12/14 03:41 PM
M
Muddyfoot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Try talking to your guys before even taking them in the woods. And if then don't like what you have to Say, then leave thier butts at home!

Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4905187 01/12/14 04:58 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I don't shoot while my dog is in the water when with newbies, but with my regular guys, we kill lots with her in the water. My dog gets mad if you don't. I taught her not to bull dog and it works out well.

We should never bring a new guy to the field with us until we have shoot skeet or practiced first......if at all possible. I can't take someone pointing their gun at me. It is the one offense that I will curse at......and, I don't care I'd it is the pope hunting with me.

Re: "Teaching" [Re: Pittstate] #4905504 01/12/14 08:14 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I don't shoot while my dog is in the water when with newbies, but with my regular guys, we kill lots with her in the water. My dog gets mad if you don't. I taught her not to bull dog and it works out well.

We should never bring a new guy to the field with us until we have shoot skeet or practiced first......if at all possible. I can't take someone pointing their gun at me. It is the one offense that I will curse at......and, I don't care I'd it is the pope hunting with me.

Gotta agree with this. Man, I hate getting lasered. I was guilty of it this weekend too. Was loading my gun, and closed the action with it pointed at my buddy for .05 nanoseconds. Instantly looked where my barrel was pointed and corrected the situation, but still, I felt horrible. One of my biggest pet peeves.

Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4905578 01/12/14 08:51 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Mine is safety too, but the biggest thing when taking someone new is leaving the woods cleaner than you found it and knowing when to shoot. When the birds are in the stratosphere, and another group jumps up and shoots it drives me up the wall. I or someone in my group will call the shot at which time everyone jumps up and shoots. I cant stand when someone tries to be a hero and jumps early to take a 70yd shot that we could've all enjoyed had he waited until the birds finished working. I hunted a well known public hole yesterday morning that I had scouted the day before and found birds. I got there AT 4 am thinking surely I'd get my spot this late in the year only to find 2 trucks already there. I said fine and went to the plan B spot about 500yds away. Im not exaggerating when I say that of the 10 or so groups that worked me, We only got to shoot at 2 of those groups. Every time I was just about to call the shot the other group would shoot. I don't know if it was on purpose or they had birds work them too but after the 3rd time it didn't seem like a coincidence. When I was watching birds work them they sky blasted on several occasions. Ended up being two grown men and two kids. I walked over to their blind after they left and they left water bottles/ spent shells/ and shell boxes all over the place. Im fearful for the next generation of duck hunters who are growing up hunting with their dads or uncles or whoever, knowing nothing about waterfowl hunting besides what they see on Duck Dynasty. Sorry about the novel. 2cents

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: "Teaching" [Re: JakeJJ] #4906235 01/13/14 01:51 AM
M
Moe #2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I took a young man out and thought nothing of t letting him get some experience putting decoys out. I have the older style not tx rig. I worked on the blind and getting things ready look over and he had put all decoys in the water within two feet of each other. After 45 minutes of untangling the lines and weights I learned to tell new guys to spread decoys apart.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide