Print Thread
New to this - I'm hooked! #4898281 01/09/14 06:23 AM
T
TomC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I've really enjoyed this forum for the last couple of months, learned a lot, and enjoy seeing pictures of everyone's hunts. I figure its time to upload some pictures of my own.

My wife arranged a hog hunt for my twin brother and I a couple of years back. We only harvested one 200lb sow but had a blast! I guess thats where I first considered hunting as something that I would enjoy. I grew up fishing, backpacking, and canoeing (scouts) and so naturally, hunting, and more recently, waterfowling and scouting for new water fowling spots, has grown in its appeal.

So my brother and I turned 30 this year and we organized a duck hunt on the TX coast for us and our dad over the Thanksgiving break. It would be the first duck hunt for all three of us. We ended up getting our two redheads and missed on a couple of wigeons and pintails. frown But its not all about the numbers...it was a great hunt! And it was really cool to see our old man shoot his first duck in the face! I could tell by the grin on his face that he enjoyed the hunt.
Thats my Stevens 311 20ga that I picked up at a pawn shop. I really like this old, humble, reliable sxs. I'm currently refinishing the stock. It will be my teal gun - at least thats what I envision. I do love my 870.

Work and school picked up again so I didn't get a chance to go back out again until recently. Wanting to try my luck on public land, I picked up an 8-pack of Flambeau mallard decoys from Cabelas for $20 (store price was better than the online sale price confused2 ) , packed my canoe, paddled to a spot a couple days before Christmas, and skunked out. I realized the spot I picked made it very difficult for the ducks to see my decoys, and my calling (a work in progress) flared the birds away. Packed my stuff up and paddled around to do some scouting. Found a spot where I jumped some gadwall that I would paddle to a few days later and I did okay. 1 gadwall and 2 shovelers. I'm considering turning the canoe into a floating blind...I don't want to paint it (it was a wedding gift from some of my old scouting buddies), rather, I'm thinking of draping burlap and grass/brush but still working out the concept in my head.

Then I went out again for another solo trip on a cold New Years day morning and did a little better, tweaking my spread, making a jerk line, calling very little, and shooting better.

Also, over the Christmas break, I was invited to harvest a doe on a friend's property in the hill country. Did so with a slug gun. What a rush! this was my first deer and it won't be my last! but something about shooting just once, waiting a long time in a blind, staring at a feeder and not being able to take in all of the scenery, made me realize I enjoy duck hunting a bit more than deer hunting. There was a pond nearby and I could hear the ducks fly overhead and there were moments during that deer hunt I caught myself daydreaming about shooting ducks instead blush

Field dressed, skinned, and quartered with the help of my friend and youtube.

my wife and I recently picked up a Big Green Egg grill and inaugurated it with some breasted, marinated redhead and plucked and brined gadwall. Delicious! Venison will be next. We've wanted this grill for quite some time and eventually found a great sale on one.

Built a table for it. I'm left handed (but shoot right handed) so the grill sits on the right side of the table. It still needs to be stained. while moving the old gas grill to make room for the BGE, I noticed this lodged in the back. Celebratory gunfire does occur in and around Downtown Dallas on NYE every year. realmad Definitely glad someone didn't get hurt or anything seriously damaged.

So, I'll be heading out a couple more times before the season comes to a close. Will be taking some friends who have never duck hunted but have asked me to take them! They purchased their APH permit and licenses so off we go! Hope I can get them into some birds on some of the spots I've found. I still have much to learn, much to scout out, and much to glean from the helpful folks on this forum. And I'm slowly gathering necessary accessories.

So I don't actually have camo clothing yet except for a cap. I've just been sitting under a piece of camo burlap. I appreciate minimalism and functionality (but to each their own smile ) Any suggestions on "essential" clothing? I don't have a bird dog so I've been using my old fishing waders. definitely thinking about getting proper waterfowling waders and perhaps a jacket. suggestions welcomed.

cheers
Tom

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4898335 01/09/14 11:49 AM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
welcome

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899224 01/09/14 06:39 PM
A
ARQuacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
welcome

MUST: Get a good set of waders. Get a mask or face paint.

I prefer a mask. I also prefer a baggy camo hooded sweatshirt. OTher than that I layer my clothing depending on the hunt, the weather and the amount of work i'm going to do.

You will hear 4 bajillion comments on camo. It's like guns and trucks. I prefer natural gear because of the earthy mud tones.

Alan

Green light. GO!
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899236 01/09/14 06:43 PM
J
jdk1985 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
welcome!

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899257 01/09/14 06:50 PM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I really like that gun a lot, cool story

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899278 01/09/14 06:58 PM
D
duckboy007 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Camo type (pattern) doesn't matter too much, but something that blends in, and staying still if the most important.

Nicer clothes are worth it, drake stuff is pretty good if you find it on sale (otherwise a bit too expensive.) Here's a good list to start.

polypropylene insulated underwear (top and bottom, thin set and thick set, still insulates when wet)
wader pants (I like my drake ones, have a water resistant layer, nice for the time when your at the truck without waders on)
Camo button up shirt (mine are thick heavy fabric)
drake MST pullover for up top (MST is the level of insulation, and they have many options to go inside waders and outside)
Thick wool socks
Camo ballcap
camo beanie
facemask

This list, and a good pair of neoprene waders will get you through just about anything in north Texas. It is nice to also have a 4-in-1 wader jacket for the really cold days, but I only use mine a handful of times a season. I bring it more often for boat rides, and if someone falls in, it it good insurance to have a dry coat.

My dog snores.
Secret Agent Custom Calls
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899291 01/09/14 07:04 PM
69FowlFather Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Welcome..
I am new to Duck hunting as well.. Alot to learn and adjust from deer hunting

BUt I am hooked like you..

Good luck. and pm if you ever want some company

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899316 01/09/14 07:13 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Im also one for the baggy hoodie, plenty of room for layers. Waders are pretty much a necessity but they don't have to be camo, you could go get some brown neoprene ones from academy but the camo ones are nice! Also as long as your wearing a camo jacket over everything you don't need any camo clothing under, obviously, so then you can go buy the much cheaper walmart brand of warm clothes and just wear them under your sweatshirt/jacket. 2cents Good luck!

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899317 01/09/14 07:14 PM
panch0 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Welcome!

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4899328 01/09/14 07:19 PM
D
duckboy007 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter
Im also one for the baggy hoodie, plenty of room for layers. Waders are pretty much a necessity but they don't have to be camo, you could go get some brown neoprene ones from academy but the camo ones are nice! Also as long as your wearing a camo jacket over everything you don't need any camo clothing under, obviously, so then you can go buy the much cheaper walmart brand of warm clothes and just wear them under your sweatshirt/jacket. 2cents Good luck!

I don't like sweatshirts, if you get wet, they don't insulate anymore. Cotton has no business on a duck hunters body.

My dog snores.
Secret Agent Custom Calls
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899337 01/09/14 07:21 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
On behalf of your old scouting buddies I here by authorized you to sand that Red flaring canoe, so you can paint it OD green.

Welcome to the addiction. up

[Linked Image]
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899393 01/09/14 07:44 PM
W
wfhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Have fun! Use whatever you have, and or can afford and grow as you go along. Thanks for sharing your new experience and photos.

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: duckboy007] #4899403 01/09/14 07:47 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: duckboy007
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

I don't like sweatshirts, if you get wet, they don't insulate anymore. Cotton has no business on a duck hunters body.

Your right it doesn't insulate when wet, but I wear mine under a light water proof jacket and then my thick jacket, also have a base layer and a fleece sweatshirt under it. But every year I buy a new camo sweatshirt with the new years cammo pattern. kinda cool to look back at all the different patterns and sweatshirts, plus the GF likes them to sleep in. No wonder I cant find any of them to wear! Its more of a tradition thing for me, and they work just fine with the exception when they're wet. BUT I always have a change of clothes in my truck or at least a dry shirt for if it ever does get wet.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899526 01/09/14 08:35 PM
B
BallerCaller Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Hey man enjoyed reading your posts and glad you have found hunting a fun part of the outdoors as well

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: duckboy007] #4899581 01/09/14 09:00 PM
S
Super90 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: duckboy007
Cotton has no business on a duck hunters body.

Very true. As the hiking/climbing community says, "Cotton Kills". Synthetics and wool are your friends.

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899826 01/09/14 10:25 PM
D
DuckCommanderCowboy28 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
welcome up

He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man.
[Linked Image]
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899965 01/09/14 11:31 PM
E
ETX_Quack-$macker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Welcome to the addiction sir! I also agree that the canoe needs to be painted, and listen up on the clothing you don't have to have camo layers, but the shell of your jacket and a good pair of waders should be camo IMO. If there's one thing a duck is good at, its sight is it. Also you will love that Green Egg, just about everyone in my family has one and my ol man is a dealer... you can cook absolutely anything on those suckers! Good luck to you hunting in the future! welcome

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4899996 01/09/14 11:54 PM
T
TomC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the recommendations! and the welcome! I'll be looking out for a new pair of 5mm neoprene waders, camo jacket, and some layering for those cold days. I have been making do with my backpacking/hiking clothing - wool or synthetic for me if I'm doing anything aerobic or the potential exists for getting cold and wet. Although, if I'm close enough a dry change of clothes and have proper rainwear, I can see myself in some comfortable cotton. I just picked up the small banded blind bag for proper ammo storage and keeping things from getting lost. Already lost a pair of glasses. frown and found myself wiping down shells.

I do think I'll need to do something with the canoe to hide it. I think that may have been part of my problem the other day.

My wife calls it an addiction but she has been very tolerant about it up

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900151 01/10/14 12:49 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If you really don't want to pain the canoe, you might want to pick up a canvas drop cloth at Home Depot. You should be able to get one big enough to help conceal the canoe.

You can find them in the paint section and the badge color will help.

[Linked Image]
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900184 01/10/14 01:03 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Stuff each duck with half an orange.
Keeps it moist and gives a wonderful sweet taste.

Canard a l orange!

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900215 01/10/14 01:16 AM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Looking good

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900229 01/10/14 01:19 AM
J
jde Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Congrats on the recent adventures looking forward to reading about more.

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900240 01/10/14 01:23 AM
T
TomC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Hopedale - dropcloth is a brilliant idea! I think I might do that. Thanks!
Beaversnipe - canard a la orange is genius! I will have to try that with the gadwall in the freezer. Can't wait.
food

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900571 01/10/14 03:33 AM
C
c141 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Love that table for the BGE, been wanting to make one for a while now just haven't got the motivation.

Re: New to this - I'm hooked! [Re: TomC] #4900668 01/10/14 04:17 AM
N
NTX Waterfowl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Welcome, I agree about investing in some good base layers and hunting clothes, not so much for the camo but for the comfort and flexibility if the weather gets rough. As an Eagle Scout I say paint the boat lol. Or just go ahead and buy a green or tan kayak! Seriously though you could get a canoe off of CL for under $300 that won't be as sleek as your current ride but you wouldn't feel bad about painting it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide