Forums46
Topics538,115
Posts9,733,135
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4894350 01/07/14 08:24 PM
M
Martin M. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Everybody's lost a deer, if they've been hunting for any length of time… Everybody needs grace, too, for the mistakes they've made (and will make). The only reason any of us know anything is because somebody else was patient and took the time to teach us, or because we've made enough mistakes along the way to figure things out on our own. Hunting should be fun, character-building, and should develop character and deepen friendships.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4894389 01/07/14 08:38 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
He made a mistake because he got excited. We have all done it, although some won't admit it. If he continues to make the same mistake then that becomes the problem. As a new hunter you and the others on the lease should encourage him and teach him, not make him feel worse about losing a deer.

And anybody that thinks you can't reuse a broadhead needs to learn how to sharpen a blade. I reuse mine as long as the blades aren't bent but I can sharpen them to razor sharp with a stone.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4894441 01/07/14 08:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Reusing them is fine.

Reusing them without sharpening them is not.

Period. End of story. You can argue but you will be wrong. smile

(Not saying the guy should be crucified for it or the hasty follow-up. But he should be open to learning/correcting his mistakes and you indicate some hesitancy there. This would be my biggest concern.)

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #4894519 01/07/14 09:19 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
[quote=Nogalus Prairie]Reusing them is fine.

Reusing them without sharpening them is not.

Period. End of story. You can argue but you will be wrong. :)"

This is the only correct answer where reusing BH's is concerned, as for the rest if it you're doing the right thing by mentoring him. We didn't all become geniuses overnight.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4895137 01/08/14 01:26 AM
D
DocJatTTU Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Thanks everyone for the input. Actually I think I'll let him read the thread to see that it's OK to make mistakes but the importance of learning the lesson is paramount. I was and still am a little concerned about his willingness to learn but I guess if he weren't hard headed I'd have to check his man card.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4895282 01/08/14 02:18 AM
H
Hogslayer5L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I agree with always using a broadhead that has been sharpened since last shot. Its pure laziness not to sharpen them. Every time they hit a target they dull significantly. True, they an still be lethal, but the sharper the better. End of story.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: Erathkid] #4895314 01/08/14 02:29 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
He's DONE...He drew blood on a buck and lost it. Whatever the reason, if he was on a managed, guided hunt he would be done.

confused2 If those are lease rules then so be it but other than that why burn a tag? Tags are for harvested animals.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: passthru] #4895334 01/08/14 02:35 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Originally Posted By: fbchunter
I reuse broadbeads all the time without resharpening them

I'm sorry but that is absolutely terrible advice! To any new or young bowhunters out there please do not do this, make sure you have new sharp blades every season, even after one season in the field blades can get quiver dulled.

Ive never sharpened a broadhead but I have reused a couple.

The only thing I see wrong is pushing it. Who knows, if he only got one lung and it clotted and stopped bleeding the only thing not pushing it might have yielded was a shorter blood trail and less lost blood. There are no guarantees. Do rookies make a lot of mistakes? Yes, take him under your wing, tell him what he did wrong and do what you can to teach him.

I agree with the mentoring route but I sharpen and reuse broadheads all the time. They design fixed blade heads to be sharpened. If you don't know how to serve in a peep, tie a D loop, sight in your bow, spin test arrows, and sharpen a broad head (amongst other things) maybe you ought to go back to gun hunting.

First, I can and do the basic repairs to my truck. I'm not rebuilding the transmission but I'm not replacing my cables and strings what takes a bow press to do either. But it's like anything else the needed field adjustments for unforeseen changes or emergencies should be something an experienced bowhunter should aspire to learn and do. First year probably not. Veteran, probably so. What are you gonna pack up and go home because your D loop breaks? Tie on a new one, check for zero and hunt.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: Martin M.] #4895528 01/08/14 03:41 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Martin M.
Everybody's lost a deer, if they've been hunting for any length of time… Everybody needs grace, too, for the mistakes they've made (and will make). The only reason any of us know anything is because somebody else was patient and took the time to teach us, or because we've made enough mistakes along the way to figure things out on our own. Hunting should be fun, character-building, and should develop character and deepen friendships.
Martin, I couldn't agree more. But, IMO, at least on our place he would burn a buck tag. That's all. No need to make him feel worse than he already does. But, still have to burn a tag on him.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4896187 01/08/14 03:36 PM
R
ROCKMAN57 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: DocJatTTU
Rickman57 please ddon't misunderstand my writing of the post. I am looking for some advice in a place where there are many with more experience than I have. I do and will stand by him and no one at the lease sad anything derogatory. I wouldn't stand for that. If you go back and look I said I spoke with him at length about it. I didn't say I yelled or condemned him. It was a candid conversation about what went wrong and why. My issue was that it didn't seem well received and while yes no rules were broken I am trying to emphasize ethical respectful hunting. I know too many that take potshots and wound animals. And in response to the question of a pass through....it wasn't. I think it lodged in between lung and rib and came out as the animal struggled but that isn't fact just a guess

Doc - Really glad you read and more importantly understood my post.Your reply tells me that you are trully his friend which was the most important thing in my mind.Most of these seasoned hunters to easily forget their own mistakes and lessons learned along the road to becomming the great outdoorsmen they now are.Your friend went from the highest high to the lowest low in one evening on the hunt.The main thing now is to make it back to that high and keep the momories comming in.Who knows-one inch higher or to the right and he might have ground checked that deer.There is no substtute for experience and only one way to get it.Yall better look out-this man may become your best hunter on the lease.lol
Good Luck with him

Keep your powder dry,the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: BOONER] #4896207 01/08/14 03:42 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: BOONER
He's DONE...He drew blood on a buck and lost it. Whatever the reason, if he was on a managed, guided hunt he would be done.

confused2 If those are lease rules then so be it but other than that why burn a tag? Tags are for harvested animals.

Tags are for deers killed, not harvested.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: ccoker] #4897821 01/09/14 02:30 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: ccoker
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Tags are for deers killed, not harvested.

Lol. Kinda hard to tag a deer that you don't have. confused2

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4897847 01/09/14 02:37 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Guy on our lease wounded two bucks that were not found. A doe we should have found that day and did a day later and a killed a third buck. Would I have done that? No but no lease rule governing it. Last year on another lease I did loose one and even though opportunity presented itself I didn't shoot another buck. I "burned" that tag. And that was a lease where I am the only hunter. I believe that unless you have a very high deer density and need to kill deer to get numbers down you are kind of robbing other members of opportunities by shooting, not finding and shooting again. Especially a guest. But each lease is different.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: passthru] #4897941 01/09/14 03:04 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: passthru
Guy on our lease wounded two bucks that were not found. A doe we should have found that day and did a day later and a killed a third buck. Would I have done that? No but no lease rule governing it. Last year on another lease I did loose one and even though opportunity presented itself I didn't shoot another buck. I "burned" that tag. And that was a lease where I am the only hunter. I believe that unless you have a very high deer density and need to kill deer to get numbers down you are kind of robbing other members of opportunities by shooting, not finding and shooting again. Especially a guest. But each lease is different.

up
I can understand that when numbers are low but on our place we actually need to kill more deer.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: P & Y] #4900849 01/10/14 07:33 AM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: P & Y
I have never sharpened a broadhead that has only been shot into targets, and never will. I bowhunt more than I rifle hunt and have never had an issue.
I hope you are talking about shooting them into hogs and not deer? If so I hope you miss every deer you shot at. You sir are the most ethical human being I have seen post about this topic EVER. WHY would you NOT resharpen blades after target use? even slicing them with paper dulls the to some extent. You owe it to yourself for a quick recovery and to the animal for a quick and timely demise. this cannot be done when veins/arteries are punctured instead of sliced. even when you DO hit where you want (Lung Area), the only thing that will happen is you will get in there and tear tissue rather than cut cleanly with a sharp head. the dull head will allow for quicker clotting, thus blood inside the deer coagulating and not coming out of the animal. This leads to little of no blood trails. This leads to lost animal. NOBODY wants that!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4918383 01/18/14 04:50 PM
J
justhuntn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Not Good

"HOOK EM HORNS"
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: fbchunter] #4918622 01/18/14 07:55 PM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: bossbowman
I reuse broadbeads all the time without resharpening them

I'm sorry but that is absolutely terrible advice! To any new or young bowhunters out there please do not do this, make sure you have new sharp blades every season, even after one season in the field blades can get quiver dulled.

I am not saying use them season after season and never buy new ones, but i think sharpening after target shooting and hiting the target not the ground, is ridiculous. I have shot more than one deer with same blades and it blew through the second deer just as good as the first

I agree bad advice...a dull broadhead will blow through a deer alright but will not cut as many arteries as a sharp one! If you have never lost a deer due to not sharpening ,congrats! Too much time involved in preperation to not have a razor sharp broadhead when that big buck walks by!

Robert
Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4919418 01/19/14 06:36 AM
B
bowassin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You said is passed through what's the big deal with sharpening

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4919465 01/19/14 11:37 AM
S
SlaminEm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
the only thing he did wrong was not wait long enough.i'm quite sure that he has learned his lesson.the best thing to do is let it go.i'm sure it will not happen again.lesson learned.

Re: Lost buck...hopefully lesson learned [Re: DocJatTTU] #4955835 02/05/14 09:16 PM
O
Old Goat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
lessons learned the hard way are lessons not soon forgotten

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide