Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: CHRIS1981] #4890405 01/06/14 02:27 PM
I
ImBillT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Originally Posted By: CHRIS1981
Originally Posted By: BMD
I stay say all these rules are a joke. Put a good group together that want to make it a better place and it all works out.

^^^^ This ^^^^ Personal i have never hunted on a place except with family or close friends. No rules are needed we are all grown ups and get alone fine. I am not sure how some of you guys can just join a lease with out knowing the people that will be shooting around you. The lease i have now is just me , wife and our kids. We do what we want. Land owner is great. We take care of her and she is happy as can be.. If someone doesnt no they shouldnt hunt from a truck on a road way, or not to shoot 2 yr old deer, or not hunt someone elses stand they should not be hunting.. Now let the ripping begin.. grin

I'm not sure if you're callng 2 yr old deer 1.5 or 2.5, but you should be culling spikes at 1.5, and really bad basket racks by 2.5.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: ImBillT] #4890527 01/06/14 03:11 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: ImBillT
Originally Posted By: CHRIS1981
I stay say all these rules are a joke. Put a good group together that want to make it a better place and it all works out.

^^^^ This ^^^^ Personal i have never hunted on a place except with family or close friends. No rules are needed we are all grown ups and get alone fine. I am not sure how some of you guys can just join a lease with out knowing the people that will be shooting around you. The lease i have now is just me , wife and our kids. We do what we want. Land owner is great. We take care of her and she is happy as can be.. If someone doesnt no they shouldnt hunt from a truck on a road way, or not to shoot 2 yr old deer, or not hunt someone elses stand they should not be hunting.. Now let the ripping begin.. grin

I'm not sure if you're callng 2 yr old deer 1.5 or 2.5, but you should be culling spikes at 1.5, and really bad basket racks by 2.5.

Spikes at 1.5. Really? That is wrong! We have spikes at 1.5 and never will you see one later. They are babies. Now I see why y'all have rules. Can't fix stupid

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890575 01/06/14 03:31 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: dlrz71
I like guests being allowed but like stated above only for does, hogs and predators. Our lease has family only on paid hunters tags (spouse and child living at home). Also mention whether or not you allow night hunting, hunting from roads, from vehicle, etc. Everything needs to be in the rules or it is left to interpretation.

Really how you can hunt, when you can hunt, wow!

Why not? Like stated previously most rules are there because of abuse and had to be applied to the lease rules to prevent future issues. Unless you personally know each lease member then these things need to be a part of the lease rules.

I am on a large lease with 17 hunters with only about 6 coming in as a group and the others either singles or doubles. There is always going to be someone bending or breaking the rules until they get caught and kicked off but if there are no rules then they aren't breaking any.

There is problem I would never hunt with 17 people for any reason

Not a big deal when you have RULES and a lot of land (roughly 4500 acres) grin

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: dlrz71] #4890660 01/06/14 04:01 PM
C
CHRIS1981 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

[quote=BMD][quote=dlrz71]I like guests being allowed but like stated above only for does, hogs and predators. Our lease has family only on paid hunters tags (spouse and child living at home). Also mention whether or not you allow night hunting, hunting from roads, from vehicle, etc. Everything needs to be in the rules or it is left to interpretation.

Why not? Like stated previously most rules are there because of abuse and had to be applied to the lease rules to prevent future issues. Unless you personally know each lease member then these things need to be a part of the lease rules.

I am on a large lease with 17 hunters with only about 6 coming in as a group and the others either singles or doubles. There is always going to be someone bending or breaking the rules until they get caught and kicked off but if there are no rules then they aren't breaking any.

There is problem I would never hunt with 17 people for any reason

Not a big deal when you have RULES and a lot of land (roughly 4500 acres) grin

Still 17 hunters wow.. Up until last year we leased 3500 acres in Childress.. Had 4 of us on it.. Would much rather pay more money and have less hunters on it up

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890781 01/06/14 04:46 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Spikes at 1.5. Really? That is wrong! We have spikes at 1.5 and never will you see one later. They are babies. Now I see why y'all have rules. Can't fix stupid

Where is STX when you need him...rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890901 01/06/14 05:24 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Your rules can fall under two categories- lease rules and management rules. Lease rules can include your camp housekeeping issues, leave gates as you found them, hunting areas for each hunter, management of community stands (if you have them), guest policies, etc. Management rules are for bag limits, age restrictions, feeding policy, etc. Small tracts with just a few members will probably only need a few rules. Your rules can also depend on whether you are leasing private property from a single landowner or like me, timber company land. There should be the same respect for the land either way. You also, on the management side, may need to evolve your rules as you go if this is a piece of property that you have no history on. When I got a new lease last year in east Texas, I told my hunters that we will have to wait and see what we have before we start setting rules on management that may be unrealistic.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4891042 01/06/14 06:28 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I'm not exactly sure of the original question, you said the LO asked for you to put together a list of rules, does this mean for a lease agreement bt you and him, or a list of rules bt you and your paid hunters.

Either case, it should be two sets of completely different rules. I'm on my own lease, but there are others on our ranch who lease a chunk and have paid members. It always seems that the number one complaint for the guy signing on the dotted line is receiving payments from his members. If this is the route that you are considering, I'd have something in there that spells out how and when payment is to be received by you so you can ultimately pay your fee to the landowner.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4891300 01/06/14 08:00 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
We have that and there is 4 of us. 4500 with 17 is insanity, I am working on putting together a 6200 acre place with 8 and want to do 7 but with right guys I guess it will be ok.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4891482 01/06/14 09:00 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
We have that and there is 4 of us. 4500 with 17 is insanity, I am working on putting together a 6200 acre place with 8 and want to do 7 but with right guys I guess it will be ok.

Depends on the country, deer #'s, terrain, but 300 acres per person isn't too bad in a lot of places. Way too many in the panhandle IMO

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4891745 01/06/14 10:31 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It is all about the right guys. If you get the right hunters who show common respect and hunting ethics then things can not only run smoothly but be a great camp to be in. But I found it takes some up front work - either know the other hunters personally or they are referred by someone you know. I also found that being totally up front with them before they ever sign on is critical - let them honestly know what they can expect as far as the quantity and quality of deer they will see - I also believe a clear, straightforward set of guidelines helps greatly and eliminates confusion, hard feelings,etc. - without that people tend to push the boundaries. The other reason for guidelines is it keeps the landowner happy and can help retain a lease long term

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: Txduckman] #4892212 01/07/14 01:23 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
We have zero rules and not one piece of paper except a key. ...

Operated that way for several years but the agent that does my liability "explained" the error of my ways.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4892220 01/07/14 01:28 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
All depends on what the property can support harvest-wise and hunting can responsibly adhere to. I've hunted great free range properties that were completely open stands and everyone was able to take a buck without counting towards any allotment. These were South Texas properties some time ago and the ranch owners trusted the hunters to act/shoot responsibly. If it ever became aware to them, things were not going responsibly, persons were bounced on their asses. All in all it worked wonderfully and everyone got along smashingly. Bad apples were weeded out as appropriate.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: tlk] #4892237 01/07/14 01:35 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: tlk
It is all about the right guys. If you get the right hunters who show common respect and hunting ethics then things can not only run smoothly but be a great camp to be in. But I found it takes some up front work - either know the other hunters personally or they are referred by someone you know. I also found that being totally up front with them before they ever sign on is critical - let them honestly know what they can expect as far as the quantity and quality of deer they will see - I also believe a clear, straightforward set of guidelines helps greatly and eliminates confusion, hard feelings,etc. - without that people tend to push the boundaries. The other reason for guidelines is it keeps the landowner happy and can help retain a lease long term

I like this, let common sense and open communication/expectations rule the day! When it doesn't, people lose the right to be there period.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: txshntr] #4892257 01/07/14 01:44 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Where is STX when you need him...rofl
Last I heard he was picking out drapes, er, I mean "window treatments" for the new place. I heard he's also looking for a gold plated bird bath for the yard. That durn Eagle Ford will sure change a feller. scared

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4892521 01/07/14 03:00 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I don't lease to anyone I don't know and trust. There are four rules.

1. Be safe.
2. Leave the place in better shape than you found it.
3. I make all the final decisions and have the final say when there is any conflict and/or doubt. Ask me first.
4. In case of confusion about anything related to the lease, refer to rule #3.

Easy.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4892822 01/07/14 04:23 AM
W
wlldraper Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
I appreciate the responses and advice. All hunters on the lease have been friends but have not hunted together. Common sense should reign above everything else including safety concerns and taking care of the place better than you would your own. I am enjoying the thread very much. The only rule I have anticipated is hunters over the age of 21 should be paying members or count against the paying members tags. We will have one hunter on the lease who has a son that's 24 and he treats him like he is ten. He's our friend and it is what it is. I just want it to be clear to him coming in and not have any miscommunication or misunderstanding from the start. If he doesn't agree or like the deal he is free to hunt else where. I already have two other guys wanting to hunt with us. He was asked and waiting first and I think the right thing to do is give him the option of joining in or not but at the same time knowing the expectations going in.

When all is said and done, there's nothing left to say or do!
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893061 01/07/14 12:00 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I don't really understand why people or against rules on a lease, it will ensure that hunters that are friends before will remain friends after. If there are rules no one can get mad or upset over any situation that arises. The rules can be as liberal or strict as the group wants them to be, plus the LO will appreciate professionalism from someone he is trusting his land to. Even friends or family can mad at each other over hunting, so why not just agree as a group what you all expect and want out of a lease.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893137 01/07/14 01:11 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: wlldraper
I appreciate the responses and advice. All hunters on the lease have been friends but have not hunted together. Common sense should reign above everything else including safety concerns and taking care of the place better than you would your own. I am enjoying the thread very much. The only rule I have anticipated is hunters over the age of 21 should be paying members or count against the paying members tags. We will have one hunter on the lease who has a son that's 24 and he treats him like he is ten. He's our friend and it is what it is. I just want it to be clear to him coming in and not have any miscommunication or misunderstanding from the start. If he doesn't agree or like the deal he is free to hunt else where. I already have two other guys wanting to hunt with us. He was asked and waiting first and I think the right thing to do is give him the option of joining in or not but at the same time knowing the expectations going in.

A deer lease is similar to going into a business partnership with a family member or friend. I have witnessed many of them fall apart even though everything started out on a good note. The partnerships who had signed guidelines were the ones that were able to separate in a clean way.

The same goes on a deer lease. You really don't know a guy until you spend some days with him at camp. If it turns out his objectives are different from yours or the ranch owner then have a clear set of rules/guidelines can be invaluable. The number one area I have seen over my years of contention is guest rules - tendency for most hunters is to want to bring too many guest and the guest killing deer that should not be killed. Good luck to you and your group

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893245 01/07/14 02:14 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
What may seem like "no brainer" policies to you may not to the next guy.

Clearly defined, written rules are paramount unless it is a very small group of guys that have hunted together for a long time and "get it" and are on the same page.

The more people you have and the more gray areas the more problems you are going to have, exponentially.
Also, make sure all rules are applied evenly to ALL members.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4893276 01/07/14 02:26 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We use the kids to help with mgt bucks, and if they shoot a trophy then that is your trophy, we don't have guests other than direct family and we don't have a stack of dumb arse rules like most leases it is supposed to be enjoyable. Put a good group together and don't worry about BS, if BS comes up eliminate the problem.

up
It's suppose to be fun. I know the more people you have the harder it is. On our place kids can shoot all culls and if they shoot a trophy it's on your tag. If you shoot a trophy on day one and a booner walks out the next day bang! Have fun and don't get to serous until an issue arises. Pick a good group and hopefully they won't.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: ccoker] #4893298 01/07/14 02:35 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: ccoker
What may seem like "no brainer" policies to you may not to the next guy.

Clearly defined, written rules are paramount unless it is a very small group of guys that have hunted together for a long time and "get it" and are on the same page.

The more people you have and the more gray areas the more problems you are going to have, exponentially.
Also, make sure all rules are applied evenly to ALL members.

This is true, and the evidence of its truth is right here on this thread.

Some guys have posted about having their own "areas"....their own stands, their own feeders, their own territories. Other hunters on such leases will get in trouble if they hunt another guy's area, corn nearby roads, or simply drive through.

Other leases are more social. These hunters hold all stands, feeders, and "areas" in common. They draw straws, or whatever, to determine which guy hunts the North Forty Stand and which guy hunts the Oat Field Stand and so on. Even though an individual hunter may own a particular stand and feeder--and maintain it--his stuff is always available to his lease-mates.

Now obviously, a hunter who has a territorial mindset is isn't going to mesh well with hunters who like to share among themselves.

So you need rules, if not written, then fully understood by all. Otherwise problems are apt to occur and feelings may be hurt.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: ccoker] #4893322 01/07/14 02:44 PM
P
pmnitro Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I left my last lease because of the land owner greed.
No rules, all was great at first. Each year he added verbal rules.
Lastly, found gut shot young deer in the pasture of which, none of us would ever shoot.

We have rules on this lease which benefit the guy that heads up the land.
I'm still looking for my next lease four years later. We have a good pasture now at a cheap price but,
Can't trust the ramrod or his grown son.

Bottom line....
Lease to GOOD guys. A group that has hunted togather for years.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893344 01/07/14 02:53 PM
J
JesseB Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Best of luck, someone will disagree with you no matter what you do. Hopefully these are all friends of yours.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893354 01/07/14 02:55 PM
J
JesseB Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Oh and from above I agree that the best lease is one where all stands are community stands. In addition to that I would prefer to pay someone to fill feeders throughout the season for the whole lease. That way every one knows the work will get done yet they don't have to do the work.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4893399 01/07/14 03:09 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I agree that if you hunt with family members YOU TRUST or people you have hunted with before, the only rules you need are those between the landowner and the hunters. Unless the landowner just doesn't care, which I would find very odd, you need to have at least that understanding as to what, or what isn't allowed on the property or what is expected of you and of the landowner.
If money crosses hands, this is the most important set of rules and not so much between the hunters.
It's then up to the hunters to accept or reject those rules.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide