Re: Am I too cheap? [Re: BowsnRods JR] #4890316 01/06/14 01:42 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods JR
Keep doing what your doing don. I started does at the ranch at $150 and went up to $200. But in your case keep selling them for $100. You will get a lot of business no matter what. I know where you stand about doing the little things because I am the same way and we both bend out backs over for our hunters. I don't know if this happened to you this year like me but I had some people that I went all day for them and got them on there deer and did everything for them which means cleaning the deer taking then to the blind guiding them and entertaining them and I received no gratuity! I am not the owner of the ranch so the money they pay for the deer is for the ranch owner They don't understand that some guides live off of tips and when they don't tip then that means I go home with my pockets empty. Some people don't understand that the majority of guides live off of tips
I feel for you. Guiding without a guide or trespass fee and you are not being compensated by the ranch is rough. I am in a different situation. I am the owner and the doe kill fee goes to me. Though $100 is not much it does help pay for the feed especially for the Ibex. Good luck with your work down south. I am sure it pays a lot better than guiding. Probably not as enjoyable but better paying. Good luck in the future. Though sometimes a person does not like change is usually works out better for them in the end.

Re: Am I too cheap? [Re: BowsnRods JR] #4890379 01/06/14 02:12 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Keep doing what your doing don. I started does at the ranch at $150 and went up to $200. But in your case keep selling them for $100. You will get a lot of business no matter what. I know where you stand about doing the little things because I am the same way and we both bend out backs over for our hunters. I don't know if this happened to you this year like me but I had some people that I went all day for them and got them on there deer and did everything for them which means cleaning the deer taking then to the blind guiding them and entertaining them and I received no gratuity! I am not the owner of the ranch so the money they pay for the deer is for the ranch owner They don't understand that some guides live off of tips and when they don't tip then that means I go home with my pockets empty. Some people don't understand that the majority of guides live off of tips

Either there was poor communication or you AND you landowner just learned that there are some incredible stiffs out there. Also as the owner, I make sure my guides never suffer from either situation. I always make sure they are compensated whether or not the customer tips.

I also always communicate that if they have a guide besides me, a generous gratuity is expected if they get an opportunity at their chosen animal.

Hunters that choose not to tip in that situation, are never allowed back.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Am I too cheap? [Re: don k] #4890686 01/06/14 04:10 PM
S
scott01 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
If the hunter does not tip "generously" they are not allowed back? Not to argue, but if you place a price on the hunt and the hunter pays the price and you provide the service, it seems like the contract between the 2 parties has been maintained. I agree that tipping is normally expected and the hunter should offer a gratuity based upon the level of service he or she feels they received. But to ban someone from hunting there again based on the amount of gratuity they paid seems odd. If that's the case, why not just put it in the contract that the guide receives are certain % of the total hunt cost or a set daily amount for gratuity? I'm sure generous gratuities are "expected" in all forms of service related businesses, waiters, guides, etc but the amount paid should be left up to the customer unless otherwise specified. Again, don't want to argue, you can do as you please. I've just never been in a situation where I was told I wasn't welcomed back if I didn't tip enough. How much is enough?

Re: Am I too cheap? [Re: therancher] #4890702 01/06/14 04:15 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

Either there was poor communication or you AND you landowner just learned that there are some incredible stiffs out there. Also as the owner, I make sure my guides never suffer from either situation. I always make sure they are compensated whether or not the customer tips.

I also always communicate that if they have a guide besides me, a generous gratuity is expected if they get an opportunity at their chosen animal.

LOL your serious? Im all about tipping but wtf

Re: Am I too cheap? [Re: Navasot] #4890843 01/06/14 05:10 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: therancher

LOL your serious? Im all about tipping but wtf

Serious as cancer. I price my hunts low enuff that a 100/day tip easily puts me in competition with other ranches. I stated that I'm up front about the expectation. And I watch what goes on.

If my guide busts his hump getting up early sitting with u, ferrying you around, cleans and takes care of your animal, hands you a vid of your kill at the end of the hunt, yes, virtually wipes your a** for a couple of days, and you stiff him? I'll make d**n sure you don't come back.

I have expectations of my guides too. If they fail they suffer. But they don't.

So, are you saying you would have taken a cheap meat hunt and used bowsnrod's services like he outlined and stiffed him? I don't think so. But hey, you tell us.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Am I too cheap? [Re: scott01] #4890890 01/06/14 05:23 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: scott01
If the hunter does not tip "generously" they are not allowed back? Not to argue, but if you place a price on the hunt and the hunter pays the price and you provide the service, it seems like the contract between the 2 parties has been maintained. I agree that tipping is normally expected and the hunter should offer a gratuity based upon the level of service he or she feels they received. But to ban someone from hunting there again based on the amount of gratuity they paid seems odd. If that's the case, why not just put it in the contract that the guide receives are certain % of the total hunt cost or a set daily amount for gratuity? I'm sure generous gratuities are "expected" in all forms of service related businesses, waiters, guides, etc but the amount paid should be left up to the customer unless otherwise specified. Again, don't want to argue, you can do as you please. I've just never been in a situation where I was told I wasn't welcomed back if I didn't tip enough. How much is enough?

I outlined it above in my other answer. Yes, I price my hunts low enuff and yes I could up the price and take the tip out of the price of the hunt. Typically on trophy hunts I pay my guides, and they also know I communicate to the hunters that they are expected to tip for great service. 100/day is good and IMO if you don't get your hands dirty and you have a successful hunt with what I included above, it is well worth it.

I like the tip coming from the hunter because it's a more personal reward and it motivates my guides. They also know I'm watching and if they don't provide good service and they don't get a tip, then it's their bad. As I also stated, if they do their job to my expectations and get stiffed I'll give it to them out of my fees.

Just the right thing to do IMO.

Either way, it's all communicated up front, so if you don't want to tip you'll know to hunt someone else's ranch.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide