Axis Hunting Assistance #4890309 01/06/14 01:38 PM
V
vanndchi Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
V
Axis Hunting-just a few questions.

I have gone on a few hunts, and have never really had what I'd call a "Lucky Hunt". I have killed one, but not a big one.

I have a few questions:

1.) What is best time to hunt? (April, May, June?)

2.) What is the best moon to hunt for Axis?

3.) Is a .270 with a TTSX bullet a nice load for Axis penetration?

Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: vanndchi] #4890418 01/06/14 02:31 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
It will depend on the ranch.
When looking for an axis hunt, contact the ranch itself and ask them what they will have at the time of year you want to hunt. They can be hard antlered year around. Majority of axis will be hard antler in the summer up to November but each ranch can be different if they have a well established breeding herd.

Personally I stay away from the full moon if I'm hunting during the summer. Summer heat makes them move later and near water. I like the new moon better. When it starts to cool off and you have weather like it is now, it may not matter so much. If they are hungry, they will have a great chance to come to corn and alfalfa.

Your selection of caliber is just fine.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: Curtis] #4890479 01/06/14 02:51 PM
V
vanndchi Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
V
Thanks! cheers

Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: vanndchi] #4890538 01/06/14 03:13 PM
W
WRS RANCH 1997 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

JR Harding
Internet Sales
(830)928-0642
WRS Ranches
www.wrsranch.com
Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: vanndchi] #4890877 01/06/14 05:20 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Walter has some very nice axis. I saw one that would have exceeded 36" that was busted up on one side. He'll be bigger next year.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: vanndchi] #4892366 01/07/14 02:17 AM
H
huntnguide83 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Your caliber of choice will be just fine. Like Curtis mentioned it's all dependent of the ranch. Our hunts normally kick off in May. I do like late season hunts as well as typically the axis are hitting feed pretty hard vs. during the spring time having more browse to feast on and warmer temps in the summer to force minimal day time movement. I normally don't take moon phases into factor as we typically hunt most of the day. Like whitetails axis will get up and move around every 4-6 hours. We have killed just as many big bucks if not more mid day than typical morning/evening hunts.

Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: vanndchi] #4893765 01/07/14 04:52 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Like others have said, they can pattern differently on different ranches and could be hard-horned anytime during the year. It is my experience and observation that herds tend to "syncronize" so far as their horn drops. For example, if you have a ranch with 1 herd and they drop in Feb - then most of the herd will drop in Feb. Multiple herds on a ranch, and each can follow their own pattern. Of course, there are always a couple that want to be different. smile

That being said, MOST of the axis statewide in Texas are hard-horned by May - even the free range animals. And the peak of the rut seems to happen mid July.

Personally, I do not like hunting the rut for axis. I find they are much harder to pattern, unless you are a relatively small HF ranch (under 400) acres. Hunting gets really tough for axis in August.

Summer months pattern on water. They will drink at least once a day, and if not rutting, will have stable and predictable paths from/to water.

Free range animals tend to be harder to pattern, or at least - their pattern may span days to weeks, rather than a daily pattern you typically see on HF ranches.

For me, the best month to hunt axis seems to be Feb. By Feb, they are hitting feeders hard and predictable, their coats are thick and fluffy, and they are their "beefiest". However, it is harder to find fully developed hard-horned animals at this time. It is definitely the best time for does.

Velvet Axis are best in late March to early May, the later the better horns. Obviously you want to catch them just before they rub out.

June and July are good months to get a look at most horns, and by sheer numbers, probably the best for largest horns. But again, for me personally - I see a lot of horns in June/July, but those 35"+ critters I see just as many in Jan/Feb - or in the fall - in the free range areas that I hunt (that's talking 2-3 animals that size). Defintitely lots more animals in the 26-32" size in the summer.

Summer hunting can be good, but it can be HOT. Box blinds in the summer can reach 120+ degrees and can make hunting miserable - you sweat, you stink, and animals bust you easily. In the heat of the summer, on both HF and free range, there seems to be movement in the morning/evening right at daybreak as they travel to water. The rest of the time they are WAY deep in heavy cover. While it is true that axis have a annoying habit of showing up anytime occaisionally during the day - sitting long summer days from 6am to 9pm in 120 deg blind is tough on the hunter. And it always seems when you take a mid day break, they show up.

Your .270 is plenty good caliber - but be prepared for little or no bleeding. I would NOT use a Barnes TTSX bullet on axis for this reason - they passthru leaving just small holes. Anyone who has shot a number of axis will tell you that their skin seems to slide over bullet holes and it is common to have little or no blood trail, even with a good shot. They are TOUGH animals too! I've had bucks take 3 shots into the heart/lung area before they would stay down. And then again, I've had them drop right over. My daughter took at 35" axis with a .270 Fusion this past May and he ran 20 yards without a drop of blood, jump a fence, then just drop cold.

I prefer not to hunt the full moon.

Good luck and enjoy. Axis deer are my passion.

Re: Axis Hunting Assistance [Re: vanndchi] #4893956 01/07/14 05:55 PM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Some great advice by all.

With a bow, I like March, April, and again in September, Oct. They tend to be in more bachelor groups or single bucks at those times, and can be a bit more patternable. Whether you can get them on feed will depend on the range conditions as they are one of the quickest to go back to natural feeds right after rains.

Rifle - late April thru June. Love hunting on a sunny afternoon on a cool-ish spring day - they tend to be out in force at those time. One hint, if you can get the wind right hunt with the sun at your back - they like to sun themselves when it's a little cool, and stand out really well in the mid morning and mid afternoon sun.

Any of your standard action 25-30 calibers will be solid medicine for axis. Shoot them in the shoulder - not behind the crease. They have a bit smaller lungs and bigger gut than a wt.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide