Forums46
Topics539,378
Posts9,748,949
Members87,157
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4889261 01/05/14 11:39 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Lol. One more person who thinks they are more important than the next guy.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4889404 01/06/14 12:40 AM
W
webb1974 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: gunnut81
Like I said I haven't met these people yet I don't have a problem with shooting but when I do I try not to bother people with it except for the pedofile who lives by the ranch he says I scare his dogs when I sight in so I love to blow up tannerite over by his place. The shooting in this place is fairly new started about a month ago the way I see it during peak hunting hours is just not cool there are a lot of hunters in this area not just me.

maybe he will compromise with you and agree to quit shooting if you agree to quit hunting.Problem solved.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4889881 01/06/14 03:38 AM
M
MMTX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
His land, he can with it as he pleases. I know that is not what you wanted to hear and I would be frustrated justthe same.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4889907 01/06/14 03:48 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Though the noise sucks we target shoot and still see deer. We were target shooting and deer were regularly stepping out behind our 200 yard target. Even a nice 130-140 inch buck. I should have missed. Pretty crazy but they don't care.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4890254 01/06/14 01:06 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Areas with high deer density may not be affected as much, but I can assure you, smaller parcels with spooky deer will be affected by shooting pressure, especially if it's close and just started a month ago.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4890271 01/06/14 01:14 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
In the field we dove hunt in, I've had deer standing 50 yards from me while 12 of us were absolutely unloading during a heavy flyover and they never even flinched.

As others have said, if he does it frequently, it will very quickly have no effect on them. Might even help you down the line if you happen to miss - they won't run.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: BrownBagSpecial] #4890677 01/06/14 04:08 PM
T
TexastoaD Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: BrownBagSpecial
Sad to say but I do it often myself..have a neighbor who put up a blind right on the fence line of one of my crp fields so on my way into the blind if I c his truck at the gate i usually just go sit at the fence in my truck and and pop off a few round every so often with my 9mm..Ive talked to the ol boy about what he shoots and he said anything that walks so I try to keep anything from walking around there lol
. Hate to say it but that's hunter harassment.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4890690 01/06/14 04:11 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
wooosa

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4890762 01/06/14 04:37 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Bet the neighbors to our north hated us, but they never came over to tell us to stop...

Couple of weeks ago I had 4 kids at the lease and I bet we went through 1k shells at various times of the day and with various calibers. Kids wanted to shoot, they got to shoot. Would have been interesting if a neighbor had come over an told me to make them quit.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: txshntr] #4891433 01/06/14 08:43 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Come on guys, every single one of you would be frustrated if someone was firing non-stop during your last hunt of the season. It's a nuisance, plain and simple, and it can easily ruin a perfectly good hunt. Best solution would be to talk to the guy and work out some sort of amicable deal.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: txshntr] #4891462 01/06/14 08:50 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Bet the neighbors to our north hated us, but they never came over to tell us to stop...

Couple of weeks ago I had 4 kids at the lease and I bet we went through 1k shells at various times of the day and with various calibers. Kids wanted to shoot, they got to shoot. Would have been interesting if a neighbor had come over an told me to make them quit.

Big difference between walking onto your neighbors property and TELLING him to stop doing what he is legally and rightfully doing on his property and politely informing him of the situation at hand and asking nicely if their is some agreement that you could come to that would suit both of you.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: redchevy] #4891508 01/06/14 09:09 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Big difference between walking onto your neighbors property and TELLING him to stop doing what he is legally and rightfully doing on his property and politely informing him of the situation at hand and asking nicely if their is some agreement that you could come to that would suit both of you.

True. But what if the kids didn't want to quit and I told them no. They have a right to get upset then? Doesn't hurt to talk and doesn't hurt to ask politely, but it also doesn't mean that it would stop.

It would bother me, no doubt. Not saying it wouldn't. But I also understand it is there property and I am not the only one using the woods. Do I think it is disrespectful or shows a lack of courtesy??? The answer is no.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: txshntr] #4891555 01/06/14 09:28 PM
T
TexastoaD Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

True. But what if the kids didn't want to quit and I told them no. They have a right to get upset then? Doesn't hurt to talk and doesn't hurt to ask politely, but it also doesn't mean that it would stop.

It would bother me, no doubt. Not saying it wouldn't. But I also understand it is there property and I am not the only one using the woods. Do I think it is disrespectful or shows a lack of courtesy??? The answer is no.
x1. Heck the guy shooting is more than likely not even aware someone is hunting. Then again he might not care either.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: txshntr] #4891572 01/06/14 09:36 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I agree. Asking nicely is your option. If you don't you never know what will happen. We drilled a well that required tens of thousands of gallons of water our neighbor not only let us use his water, pumped at his cost and he refused any form of compensation.

Its their right to do what they want and your right to do what you want, but asking wouldn't hurt.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: Jimbo] #4892746 01/07/14 04:02 AM
N
nuprofessor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I hunted for years on a military base, and the deer were accustomed to the noise, and even ventured out onto the range even while the shooting was going on. The area I hunted was right next to the range and the deer pretty much ignored it, so I would talk to the neighbor mainly about safety concerns and the possible ricochets, and let him know you are hunting, but if he shoots as much as you say, the deer probably won't mind.

JIMBO,
I know what you are talking about animals getting accustom to the shooting. In summer / early fall 2012 I was working in NE New Mexico. Went to the Whittington Center often to practice with my muzzleloader. While shooting one day I stopped to run a dry patch down the barrel a couple of times, then reloaded. When I looked up there were 3 mule deer (2 doe and 1 fawn) standing ON THE RANGE. When they saw me they left at a slow trot. They stopped and I could still see them about 200 yards to my left. I shot a couple more times and they were still there just milling around eating.

CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE FOR TOMORROW. INVEST IN TOMORROW BY TAKING A CHILD HUNTING OR FISHING TODAY.
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4896661 01/08/14 06:14 PM
I
ImBillT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
It might keep the deer in the brush till dark, especially if the go through his place on their way to yours. It is unlikely that is actuall running deer off of your place. Morning hunts will be better(even better than normal) if his shooting is bothering them. If they are bedding on your property, still hunting during the day could be very productive if they are bothered by his shooting(if they're bothered, not only will they be more likely to be in a bedding area, but they will be less likely to want to leave as you try to creep in)

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4897639 01/09/14 01:06 AM
T
tigger Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
sounds like someone has been spoiled his whole life everything for him i do not see that the other guy did anything wrong.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: blackcoal] #4905471 01/12/14 07:56 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
His shooting may be upsetting you but doubt it is bothering the deer.

This. If he shoots every day, they have long since Become accustomed to it.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4905737 01/12/14 10:14 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I would be more concerned about the ricochets you heard whizzing over. Maybe you can introduce yourself to him and offer to help design some berms for safety's sake. They may even reduce some of the noise.

The lease next to ours has some guys who will target practice occasionally. The deer I've watched while this is going on don't even flinch.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4907407 01/13/14 05:35 PM
M
Martin M. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I totally understand your frustration, but as others have said, it's rooted in a lack of communication. At our place, I enjoy shooting almost as much as I enjoy hunting. And I do both year-round -- I just don't shoot near where I hunt…

I would encourage you to think about this from his perspective. You wouldn't want him to try to discourage you from pursuing your hobby, or to micromanage how you went about it. Sometimes freedom cuts both ways.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4908772 01/14/14 03:19 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Maybe you should go dove hunting early in the morning...........say right at legal. It's your land and you can shot when you want to, right?

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4909296 01/14/14 02:13 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I hunt and I shoot for fun. I'd love some dbag to come over and tell me to stop shooting as I'm ruining his hunt. rofl

Since the duck craze is back we have kids that duck hunt dang near every morning on the fence. I just dont deer hunt over there...problem solved.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4909306 01/14/14 02:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Y'all are right of course-the landowner has every right to do as he pleases.
I do think there is a courtesy issue involved though-I am landowner and I would like to think that in an area where I know hunting is going on I would work it where my shooting was in the middle of the day. Not because I have to, just as a courtesy to others.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: redchevy] #4909330 01/14/14 02:29 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Agree - I am all for property rights - born and raised in Texas and been here 60 years. Anyone has the right to do as they wish on their own property - however, I also believe strongly in being a good neighbor so common courtesy should be at the top. A person has a right on their own property to shine bright lights onto their neighbors windows all night long or have dogs in their yard that bark all night long but is the the right thing to do? Not in my book.

Nicely asking and communicating with a neighbor to work with you on an issue that may be affecting you (and vice versa) is the answer I believe

You can't fix stupid
Re: No common courtesy or sense ruined my hunt again [Re: gunnut81] #4909380 01/14/14 02:50 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Sounds like you may be MY neighbor... where u at? We've got a neighbor like that. He shoots, just to shoot, yeh, yeh, his land and he's enjoying it, all the power to him. I agree. Talking, yep, we've tried POLITELY asking numerous of times to cut us some slack during season, and no change. Yep, they sleep in late, so I know in the morning (usually), I can get in a short morning sit before they wake and start driving every imaginable motorized vehicle up/down the fence line, yelling at the top of their lungs to communicate between themselves, and shooting the turtles, air, trees, or whatever they're aiming at, or I just sit at another stand. It's annoying to say the least, but as others have said, it's his land and at the end of the day, he's enjoying the great outdoors with his grand kid and yep, he's annoying as heck (to the point that it would definitely seem intentional on his part?) to all the neighbors around him. What ya gonna do?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide