Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Deer lease rules question #4889813 01/06/14 03:22 AM
W
wlldraper Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
W
Seems I have been appointed or requested by the LO to put together the rules for a lease. I have leased from the LO for several years and I approached him about taking over 800 acres that was not leased prior to now. He said he likes the way I have taken care of his place and managed the deer for it being LF. I have already put a group together and have a full lease but I would like suggestions on what you would put in the lease agreement. I do not know everything and want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I am especially interested in ideas on bringing guest and how visitors would affect the leasee's tag for the year. Also what are your thoughts on children 18 and younger being able to hunt and not be counted against the leasee's tags? All ideas are welcome, anything important to be included or not included. GO......

When all is said and done, there's nothing left to say or do!
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4889861 01/06/14 03:33 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Unfortunately rules have been made, because of some abuse along the way. The guest thing seems to always cause issues, in my opinion it's best not to have guest allowed. With that being said I guess it depends on the situation of whether it is a social event or a more serious hunting lease, neither one is bad just preferences. Also most LO's would rather see less than more people on his land. As for kids hunting, I'm all for it, the only thing you have to consider when talking about their harvest counting against paying members bag limit, is the number of people hunting to the ratio of land. It seems now days places are being crowded too much, again just my opinion.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4889986 01/06/14 04:19 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Allow guests but doe, hog, predator only. As far as kids they hunt off paid hunter allotment tags. Guests does go against paid hunter too. If I am the only person at my lease I like to take a friend and their kid. I don't like being alone which happens often with only 6 hunters. If hunters are up their all the time it is cool but most of the time not.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890012 01/06/14 04:29 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
We use the kids to help with mgt bucks, and if they shoot a trophy then that is your trophy, we don't have guests other than direct family and we don't have a stack of dumb arse rules like most leases it is supposed to be enjoyable. Put a good group together and don't worry about BS, if BS comes up eliminate the problem.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890020 01/06/14 04:31 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I read some of these rules that you guys put up with and argue about. Damn I wouldn't even want to hunt if I had to deal with all the whining. Lmao

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890024 01/06/14 04:33 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I like guests being allowed but like stated above only for does, hogs and predators. Our lease has family only on paid hunters tags (spouse and child living at home). Also mention whether or not you allow night hunting, hunting from roads, from vehicle, etc. Everything needs to be in the rules or it is left to interpretation.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890028 01/06/14 04:35 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I stay say all these rules are a joke. Put a good group together that want to make it a better place and it all works out.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: dlrz71] #4890030 01/06/14 04:35 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: dlrz71
I like guests being allowed but like stated above only for does, hogs and predators. Our lease has family only on paid hunters tags (spouse and child living at home). Also mention whether or not you allow night hunting, hunting from roads, from vehicle, etc. Everything needs to be in the rules or it is left to interpretation.

Really how you can hunt, when you can hunt, wow!

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890051 01/06/14 04:46 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
On our place, all stands are open to hunt but you have first right to your stands. If you aren't there, anyone else can hunt it. No point in leasing 7k acres if you can only hunt 500. Also, with stands only in select areas or no hunting others stand, does that mean you can't shoot a deer if you are driving to your stand?

Only trophies and culls can be shot from someone else's stand. Doe can only be taken from another's stand with permission.

Guest are allowed, but have to hunt with a paying member. They can shoot does or culls and it doesn't count against the member. If they shoot a cull that isn't a cull, it is the members trophy.

Kids are just like guest but they can shoot a trophy but it counts as the paying members trophy. We have deer that need to go and guest and kids are a great way to do it.

Originally Posted By: BMD
I read some of these rules that you guys put up with and argue about. Damn I wouldn't even want to hunt if I had to deal with all the whining. Lmao

Rules are typically good for the new hunters that are joining so they know what to expect. But many rules come from a few that take advantage and a lease manager that had just assume make another rule to punish the group instead of dealing with the problem.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890052 01/06/14 04:46 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Every lease has rules, whether they are just understood or written, I prefer mine on paper.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890055 01/06/14 04:48 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

You forgot "where"

Each lease is different. If you were getting on a lease, wouldn't you like to know the rules before signing that check over?

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890057 01/06/14 04:48 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Why not? Like stated previously most rules are there because of abuse and had to be applied to the lease rules to prevent future issues. Unless you personally know each lease member then these things need to be a part of the lease rules.

I am on a large lease with 17 hunters with only about 6 coming in as a group and the others either singles or doubles. There is always going to be someone bending or breaking the rules until they get caught and kicked off but if there are no rules then they aren't breaking any.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: txshntr] #4890066 01/06/14 04:52 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr

You forgot "where"

Each lease is different. If you were getting on a lease, wouldn't you like to know the rules before signing that check over?

Each person (17 hunters on 4500 acres) has their own area on my lease and some of those being divided by the ranch roads so yes where (your area) and no road hunting is in the lease rules. Just part of safety on my lease.

Last edited by dlrz71; 01/06/14 05:17 AM.
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890077 01/06/14 04:58 AM
C
CHRIS1981 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I stay say all these rules are a joke. Put a good group together that want to make it a better place and it all works out.

^^^^ This ^^^^ Personal i have never hunted on a place except with family or close friends. No rules are needed we are all grown ups and get alone fine. I am not sure how some of you guys can just join a lease with out knowing the people that will be shooting around you. The lease i have now is just me , wife and our kids. We do what we want. Land owner is great. We take care of her and she is happy as can be.. If someone doesnt no they shouldnt hunt from a truck on a road way, or not to shoot 2 yr old deer, or not hunt someone elses stand they should not be hunting.. Now let the ripping begin.. grin

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: CHRIS1981] #4890083 01/06/14 05:03 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I agree they shouldn't be and rules are how we eliminate them.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: CHRIS1981] #4890087 01/06/14 05:06 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: CHRIS1981

^^^^ This ^^^^ Personal i have never hunted on a place except with family or close friends. No rules are needed we are all grown ups and get alone fine. I am not sure how some of you guys can just join a lease with out knowing the people that will be shooting around you. The lease i have now is just me , wife and our kids. We do what we want. Land owner is great. We take care of her and she is happy as can be.. If someone doesnt no they shouldnt hunt from a truck on a road way, or not to shoot 2 yr old deer, or not hunt someone elses stand they should not be hunting.. Now let the ripping begin.. grin

I have no issue with someone shooting from their truck, we kill a lot of our does this way. I have no issue with someone hunting my stand, no point in getting on a large place if you are confined. There are 2yo's that need to go for management purposes. grin

Hence the need for rules and expectations to be known prior to someone getting on a new lease.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: txshntr] #4890088 01/06/14 05:07 AM
C
CHRIS1981 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: CHRIS1981

I have no issue with someone shooting from their truck, we kill a lot of our does this way. I have no issue with someone hunting my stand, no point in getting on a large place if you are confined. There are 2yo's that need to go for management purposes. grin

Hence the need for rules and expectations to be known prior to someone getting on a new lease.

lol only rule we have ever had is if your under 16 and its your first deer you are allowed to shoot any deer you want..

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890089 01/06/14 05:08 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We have zero rules and not one piece of paper except a key. But at least have some common sense ones about bucks. Most places aren't giant so shooting any legal buck is not wise. We only had 3 legal bucks taken by 6 hunters and all three were by the same guy. He never found 2 of them... Might be time for at least one rule to be written.

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890091 01/06/14 05:09 AM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
See you have rules lol

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890092 01/06/14 05:09 AM
C
CHRIS1981 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Might be time to take him to the range for some practice that is for sure

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: Jkd106] #4890095 01/06/14 05:10 AM
C
CHRIS1981 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Jkd106
See you have rules lol

yup forgot about the 1

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: wlldraper] #4890204 01/06/14 11:58 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Like everything else in life it depends on the situation. If you are on a family type lease and not trying to manage the property for trophy type deer, then unwritten rules can work. On the other hand, if you are on a lease that brings guys together from different walks of life and you are trying to manage for high end trophy deer, then in my opinion written rules are a must. On top of all that, the ranch owner typically appreciates knowing that the group using his property has limits, etc. I have experienced both types of ranches and frankly, the leases I have been on that had no rules or the rules were not enforced end up in chaos most of the time.

I head up our lease on 9000 acres and 12 hunters. We have written rules but more than that we exhibit common respect for each other. We limit the number of guest, what can be shot, etc. This is designed to help further the management of the deer. We use community stands - first come first serve. We have done this now for 7 seasons and it has worked out well - great camp, great ranch owner, and great deer. So again - depends on the objectives of the lease.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: dlrz71] #4890294 01/06/14 01:33 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B

Why not? Like stated previously most rules are there because of abuse and had to be applied to the lease rules to prevent future issues. Unless you personally know each lease member then these things need to be a part of the lease rules.

I am on a large lease with 17 hunters with only about 6 coming in as a group and the others either singles or doubles. There is always going to be someone bending or breaking the rules until they get caught and kicked off but if there are no rules then they aren't breaking any.

There is problem I would never hunt with 17 people for any reason

Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890319 01/06/14 01:43 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

up It's not about me anymore it's about my friends and family.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Deer lease rules question [Re: BMD] #4890323 01/06/14 01:46 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
There is problem I would never hunt with 17 people for any reason

No kidding!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index