Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks #4885151 01/03/14 07:29 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C

One proposal would formally give permission to states to submit "the limited information necessary to help keep guns out of potentially dangerous hands," without having to worry about the privacy provisions in a law known as HIPAA.

"The proposed rule will not change the fact that seeking help for mental health problems or getting treatment does not make someone legally prohibited from having a firearm," the statement said. "Furthermore, nothing in the proposed rule would require reporting on general mental health visits or other routine mental health care, or would exempt providers solely performing these treatment services from existing privacy rules."

The other proposal would clarify that those who are involuntarily committed to a mental institution -- both inpatient and outpatient -- count under the law as "committed to a mental institution." According to the administration, this change will help clarify for states what information to provide to the background check system, as well as who is barred from having guns.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/...kground-checks/

Re: Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks [Re: cdoan02] #4885699 01/03/14 11:16 PM
C
Chuck W Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
So... Once again, "O" changes EXISTING LAW (HIPA) by executive order therefore bypassing Congress!

Re: Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks [Re: cdoan02] #4886471 01/04/14 09:05 AM
T
theserxtremedays Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Here is the issue I see you can be involuntarily committed for a 48 hour observation. In some states they don't even need any proof or admission from the person being committed. It would be very easy to go in and have a gun owner put under a psych hold for a couple of days and then even though they say they are fine and sane use that to then say you can't own guns. I know that sounds kinda loony but I could see normal people getting screwed in this deal.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

you must realize that fear is not real, It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand, danger is very real, but fear is our choice!
Re: Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks [Re: theserxtremedays] #4886726 01/04/14 04:00 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Here is the issue I see you can be involuntarily committed for a 48 hour observation. In some states they don't even need any proof or admission from the person being committed. It would be very easy to go in and have a gun owner put under a psych hold for a couple of days and then even though they say they are fine and sane use that to then say you can't own guns. I know that sounds kinda loony but I could see normal people Veterans getting screwed in this deal.

Agreed, and fixed it for ya

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks [Re: cdoan02] #4887868 01/05/14 04:17 AM
B
Badwolf Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
The fascist-in-chief strikes again. Extremely slippery slope here since they are the ones who are going to define what constitutes a "mental health issue" - just camouflage for an arbitrary assault on our individual rights.

Re: Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks [Re: TreeBass] #4895858 01/08/14 01:23 PM
O
Octopiston Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Here is the issue I see you can be involuntarily committed for a 48 hour observation. In some states they don't even need any proof or admission from the person being committed. It would be very easy to go in and have a gun owner put under a psych hold for a couple of days and then even though they say they are fine and sane use that to then say you can't own guns. I know that sounds kinda loony but I could see normal people Veterans getting screwed in this deal.

Agreed, and fixed it for ya

Got that right. Veterans are potential terrorists to this regeme.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide