Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #4884279 01/03/14 01:43 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: MS1454
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Brittany, English Pointer, Visla, Setter, GSP. Any of these (plus several more) can be great Quail dogs & companions, pick the one you think is the best looking & then find a good breeder with good bloodlines. Simple as that. This is nothing more than a Ford vs. Chevy type discussion.

I disagree. I haven't seen too many setters that were all that bright. Have seen many that were soft. Not a good pick for a beginner. The soft issue might also be more common with the Brittanys so I've heard but you tell me.

I have setters. Let's hunt and let's discuss your "soft" comment again.

Exactly, you can have a "soft" dog out of any breed. For someone to say a certain breed is "soft" or too wild, or aren't good family dogs, cant be good house dogs, etc., just shows that person is one sided on the breed they like. Like I said before, Ford vs. Chevy. But to answer MS1454, I have owned / hunted a total of 10 Brittanies, I had one that had no interest in birds, but have never had one that was gun shy or "soft".

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: coolie] #4884483 01/03/14 03:05 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: coolie76
What are fundaments?

Dang it. I need to start wearing my glasses so I can read what I type.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: kindall] #4884737 01/03/14 04:49 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The is something to "dogs breeding."
All a guy has to do is look what dogs
Typically dominate field trial events. It's
Not a Brit or setter.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Huntmaster] #4885214 01/03/14 07:53 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
Not a Brit or setter.

Sir, you are comparing apples and oranges. First of all, for a first dog, easy to train, I dang sure will not start with some jacked-up, hot blooded, crazy, run the limits, fire breathing field trial dog. I did that for many years and hunting was just not fun anymore. I made a conscious switch to setters and have never looked back. They are smarter, honest, and just an all around better fit for me. I really like hunting again. And like I said before, come put a dog down and hunt with these "soft" setters of mine. I think you will be surprised. All day long and they are hard as a rock. I have run them for 3 hours with a mule and when I pick em up they are still pulling to go.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4885383 01/03/14 09:01 PM
B
Bigjoe8504 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Not a Brit or setter.

Sir, you are comparing apples and oranges. First of all, for a first dog, easy to train, I dang sure will not start with some jacked-up, hot blooded, crazy, run the limits, fire breathing field trial dog. I did that for many years and hunting was just not fun anymore. I made a conscious switch to setters and have never looked back. They are smarter, honest, and just an all around better fit for me. I really like hunting again. And like I said before, come put a dog down and hunt with these "soft" setters of mine. I think you will be surprised. All day long and they are hard as a rock. I have run them for 3 hours with a mule and when I pick em up they are still pulling to go.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a soft dog typically mean a dog that doesn't take negative reinforcement well? In that case MOST pointer breeds would be considered soft and some softer than others. Has nothing to do with drive, just how you train them. You would take years training a Walker Hound to sit if you used the same method as you would use to teach a DD. Hounds (coonhounds, foxhounds, beagles) tend to take a harder approach to training and are not considered soft dogs in general. Generally the more (training wise) brains a dog has, the softer a dog is.

Now that that is out of the way, If you are familiar with britany's and the way they are, why not get you your own britany. As stated earlier, any breed can have a good outcome (as for a hunting dog) and the breeder should be able to help you pick one that fits your needs. There's always rescues and crosses available out of decent hunting dogs for cheaper amounts if you have no aspirations of breeding. Also as stated above, if your budget allows it, it's always easier to start with a started dog (regardless of type of hunting you will be doing.)

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4885425 01/03/14 09:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's always a crap shoot. A started dog is one that did not break easily in my opinion. Anyone who does the yard work, collar conditioning, and has a few birds can sell the pup as broke.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4885446 01/03/14 09:38 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I've seen people send a dog to the trainer, and then fall on hard times.
They release the dog to the trainer and he/she sells it. There is nothing wrong with those dogs. Other people realize they don't have as much time to hunt them as they used to, and sell them.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Bigjoe8504] #4885536 01/03/14 10:16 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Bigjoe8504
Not a Brit or setter.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a soft dog typically mean a dog that doesn't take negative reinforcement well? In that case MOST pointer breeds would be considered soft and some softer than others. Has nothing to do with drive, just how you train them. You would take years training a Walker Hound to sit if you used the same method as you would use to teach a DD. Hounds (coonhounds, foxhounds, beagles) tend to take a harder approach to training and are not considered soft dogs in general. Generally the more (training wise) brains a dog has, the softer a dog is.

Now that that is out of the way, If you are familiar with britany's and the way they are, why not get you your own britany. As stated earlier, any breed can have a good outcome (as for a hunting dog) and the breeder should be able to help you pick one that fits your needs. There's always rescues and crosses available out of decent hunting dogs for cheaper amounts if you have no aspirations of breeding. Also as stated above, if your budget allows it, it's always easier to start with a started dog (regardless of type of hunting you will be doing.)

"Soft" dog to me means one that can not take the pressure of training, scared of a bird, scared of a gun. Even if you get some of them to point, they are soft to conditions in the field, terrain, other dogs, stays lost alot, or stays at heel most of the time. When the going gets tough, soft dog lays down. It is breeding that gets you the dog you need to perform at the level you want. So many people try to find the cutest puppy they can find instead of running the whole litter of puppies to find the bolder ones and the pups that can think. I look for smart pups and one's that want to handle and satisfy me. The measure of a bird dog is not style and point to me as much as what he has between the ears.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4886403 01/04/14 06:03 AM
A
AWSjr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Brittany

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #4887477 01/05/14 12:51 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Setters get cockleburs-pointers don't.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4887647 01/05/14 02:27 AM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
My English pointer comes home more beat up than any of the Brittany's do. Yes,I have to cut a few cocklebur's from them but they aren't as tore up as he is.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #4891193 01/06/14 07:19 PM
O
orpco Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I've had english pointers, german shorthair, and Brittany. I've hunted behind several brittany's. That's hard to beat for first dog. Especially if it needs to interact with rest of family. English pointers seem to take several years to slow down enough to interact with family. Thats been my experience, I'm sure it varies from dog to dog though.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Huntmaster] #4891465 01/06/14 08:52 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Setters get cockleburs-pointers don't.

Just deal with it. It has never been a problem for me. It is not so much a game changer to make me want to switch dogs.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #4891632 01/06/14 09:56 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I can appreciate your love for you setters, I've too have had them all- but the right
Fire breathing, ground covering, bloody, twelve o'clock tail,
Muscles rippling, nose that can wind a bird across county lines-is hard to beat and something
Most people have never seen. With that said-I started with a mix
Between a Brit and setter that I wouldn't have sold(or it would have to be a stupid price)
What a dog!!

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4901892 01/10/14 07:42 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

a vote here for pointers or brits.

either will be a great dog to have.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4902001 01/10/14 08:31 PM
Z
z3n Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
My hunting buddy's dog is a brit and he's outstanding...both for pheasants/upland and waterfowl...

-z

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4937424 01/27/14 10:37 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
this dog would also be a outoor dog in a kennel. i will be training it with alittle help from my dad but i will be buying everything on my own.im 13 so i dont want a real roudy, hardcore field trial dog that is hard to train. thanks for the imput

Last edited by Turkeyslayer1221; 01/27/14 10:38 PM.

I don't always exaggerate, I just remember BIG!
Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4938548 01/28/14 02:03 PM
B
BobMac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Get a Boykin,Great at home and in the field. Spay pam on there ears and the burr's come right out.

Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: z3n] #4975110 02/15/14 07:59 AM
T
TexaShot0341 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Z3n, that looks like a Springer to me.

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4975710 02/15/14 07:56 PM
G
Guns Up Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
try a Pug or a Palmeranean. either are superb pointers stir bolt

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Guns Up] #4976425 02/16/14 01:36 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Guns Up
try a Pug or a Palmeranean. either are superb pointers stir bolt

The best there is!

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: scalebuster] #4976433 02/16/14 01:44 PM
C
Chief Joe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Brittany

I agree..

"It is the same boiling water that softens the rice, which hardens the egg." It's not always about the circumstances, but what you are made of....
Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Chief Joe] #4977059 02/16/14 11:14 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Brittany

I agree..

Seems they are calmer but I love the drive of a English pointer

Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: Jtmeeks] #4978074 02/17/14 04:17 PM
H
HMK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Well Now,
I'm sorry to say that each and every one of you are Just WRONG!!!!

The best by far is your ole lady. She points well, trees well, retrieves well, however; she does cost a fortune rofl

back when we used to eat housecats we marinated them in louisiana hot sauce and soy sauce then season them with lemon pepper........then onto the grill slow cooking them 3 hours........excellent folded in tortillas and pico de gallo----Newgulf
Re: Best beginner bird dog [Re: HMK] #4979178 02/18/14 02:16 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: HMK
Well Now,
I'm sorry to say that each and every one of you are Just WRONG!!!!

The best by far is your ole lady. She points well, trees well, retrieves well, however; she does cost a fortune rofl

up

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide