Forums46
Topics538,058
Posts9,732,543
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: Nightbird] #4882336 01/02/14 07:04 PM
B
BSolomon Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Nightbird
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: BSolomon
I am no special case. I was in the Army at the age of 17. You know right from wrong way before the age of 18yrs old.

very true

I was military as well so yes i agree..There are those that went in the military that don't know there butt from a hole in the ground as well..anybody that has served knows that to be the truth as well. I have also yet to see any proof that the kids knew they shot somebody..most likely they knew but no evidence has come forth yet.

Yes a few of my posts back you will see I said the same thing. The Def Attorney will push that they did not know that they shot anyone. Unless they admitted it already. Also yes I knew a lot of dumb @$$ people in the Army. But they still knew right from wrong whether they fallowed what was right was a different story. All in all these guys need to pay for what they did. But the main thing is the GW is recovering and should be back out doing what he loves again someday.

New To The Area But Not The Hunt!
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: BSolomon] #4882345 01/02/14 07:06 PM
N
Nightbird Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I am no special case. I was in the Army at the age of 17. You know right from wrong way before the age of 18yrs old.

very true

I was military as well so yes i agree..There are those that went in the military that don't know there butt from a hole in the ground as well..anybody that has served knows that to be the truth as well. I have also yet to see any proof that the kids knew they shot somebody..most likely they knew but no evidence has come forth yet.

Yes a few of my posts back you will see I said the same thing. The Def Attorney will push that they did not know that they shot anyone. Unless they admitted it already. Also yes I knew a lot of dumb @$$ people in the Army. But they still knew right from wrong whether they fallowed what was right was a different story. All in all these guys need to pay for what they did. But the main thing is the GW is recovering and should be back out what he loves again someday.

And as you can see i as well have said they need to face the consequences of there actions.. cheers

James

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4882351 01/02/14 07:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
This incident reminds me very much of the incident I mentioned earlier that occurred many years ago when I had gone back to Mississippi to visit my parents. A guy from New Orleans was spending Christmas with his wife's parents and was hunting a food plot behind his in-laws house. He was walking back to the house when he heard something moving in the brush and fired shots to scare it off. It turned out to be a MDWFP game warden who was responding to reports that someone had been spotlighting deer in the area. Tragically, the officer was killed. The guy reportedly had no criminal record but that did not keep him from receiving a long prison sentence.

In addition to the loss of the officers life, it was reported the shooter later cracked up in prison, not being the type that would have otherwise ended up there. It is with thoughts of the lives very sadly changed as a result of this incident, and ones like this most recent one, that I continue to encourage safety to those who read them.

One day you're a young professional with a wife and promising career, and the next all your dreams, as well as those of someone else, are shattered by a lapse in judgement that you always felt would happen to someone else.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4882432 01/02/14 07:30 PM
Jon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Dan, someone who "heard something moving in the brush and fired shots to scare it off" has no business handling firearms. Period. It's sad that someone was killed and sad the guy who did it cracked up in prison but it doesn't change the fact that a stupid person violating the most basic rules of common sense gun handling went and killed someone. As far as lights are concerned, someone who shoots into the bushes to scare "something" off could just as easily mistake a LED headlamp as some sort of evil creature's shining eyes and be just as likely to shoot at it.

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: Texas Dan] #4882469 01/02/14 07:42 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Again guys, carry a light when walking in the dark for safety reasons and forget about spooking a deer that in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing.

Lol Dan.. You sure are a persistent fellow!

If just a minute or two of effort can keep someone from being sent to their grave and another to prison, it's time well spent.

You know what else would keep this from happening? If Obama would go ahead and take guns away from everyone. bolt peep

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 01/02/14 07:43 PM.
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: HuntnFly67] #4882523 01/02/14 07:59 PM
N
Nightbird Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Again guys, carry a light when walking in the dark for safety reasons and forget about spooking a deer that in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing.

Lol Dan.. You sure are a persistent fellow!

If just a minute or two of effort can keep someone from being sent to their grave and another to prison, it's time well spent.

You know what else would keep this from happening? If Obama would go ahead and take guns away from everyone. bolt peep

Blasphemy! lol35

James

Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4882724 01/02/14 09:13 PM
N
NacHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
I talked to some guys that were actually on the scene and the said they were shooting at one of those yellow WMA signs across the WMA property from a private property vantage point.

Mike Cox the TPWD spokesman said that the Game Warden was investigating a light source and sounds coming from an electronic game call device.

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4882806 01/02/14 09:48 PM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
The Chris Fried Benefit Account has been established for donations to help with expenses at both the Enloe State Bank and First National Bank in Cooper.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: NacHunter] #4882976 01/02/14 10:47 PM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: NacHunter
I talked to some guys that were actually on the scene and the said they were shooting at one of those yellow WMA signs across the WMA property from a private property vantage point.

Mike Cox the TPWD spokesman said that the Game Warden was investigating a light source and sounds coming from an electronic game call device.

This thing is so twisted around you wouldn't know who to believe

Last edited by tdecker22; 01/02/14 10:47 PM.
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: NacHunter] #4883105 01/02/14 11:44 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I've hunted that WMA quite a bit. Someone said the incident happened near cnty rd 1035 so I'm guessing he was parked at the parking spot at the end of cnty rd 1050 near the city lakes. Not that any of that matters much at this point. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Last edited by swampthang; 01/02/14 11:45 PM.
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: BSolomon] #4883114 01/02/14 11:50 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

You know, stuff happens even in the military. Are you familiar with the four Marines killed at Camp Pendleton a couple of months ago? They were working on the grounds of the practice range used for artillery and bomb practice and found an unexploded ordinance the bad way. The military is not immune to accidents.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4883157 01/03/14 12:02 AM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

You know, stuff happens even in the military. Are you familiar with the four Marines killed at Camp Pendleton a couple of months ago? They were working on the grounds of the practice range used for artillery and bomb practice and found an unexploded ordinance the bad way. The military is not immune to accidents.

Completely different senario.

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4883184 01/03/14 12:11 AM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Wonder if the shooters will use the "affluenza defense". It's worked once.

On a related note. Seems we are trying the case here without all the information. I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to suggest none of on here have all the info needed to throw them under the bus. So we're using assumptions to form our opinion. I guess there's nothing wrong with that as long as the assumptions are correct. From the info I've seen, there's definitely enough cause for their arrest. And Hopefully the justice system works properly on this one.

I'm extremely glad the GW is recovering.

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: tdecker22] #4883318 01/03/14 01:06 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: tdecker22

I'm not comparing scenarios. I'm simply replying to a post that says you know right from wrong way before the age of 18 and a couple that imply their military service would prevent them from having an accident. Either these four Marines had an accident or they did something wrong. That's all I'm saying.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4883359 01/03/14 01:14 AM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I'm not comparing scenarios. I'm simply replying to a post that says you know right from wrong way before the age of 18 and a couple that imply their military service would prevent them from having an accident. Either these four Marines had an accident or they did something wrong. That's all I'm saying.

10 4 makes since

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #4883387 01/03/14 01:22 AM
N
Nightbird Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N

Never was it stated that being military personnel keeps you from having accidents..it was stated that people know right from wrong way before the age of 18. It also was stated that the military has there fair share of people that don't know there butts from a whole in the ground. Are military personnel perfect..No..do they have accidents..Yes..are they capable of doing something wrong even knowing it is wrong..yes..military personnel are human too.

James

Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: tdecker22] #4883674 01/03/14 02:55 AM
N
NacHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N

This thing is so twisted around you wouldn't know who to believe

Here is the UPI wire story that ran nationally with the quote from TPWD about a light and electronic game call:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/01/0...58311388693357/

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4883820 01/03/14 03:45 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Electronic calls and lights are common to hunting predators at night. Not sure if it's legal to do during deer season. Still, I've yet to see an electronic deer call.

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4884111 01/03/14 06:25 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

LOL, when you are a game warden attempting to sneak up on people you think are breaking the law, you aren't apt to wear a light, bells, etc.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: Double Naught Spy] #4884278 01/03/14 01:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

LOL, when you are a game warden attempting to sneak up on people you think are breaking the law, you aren't apt to wear a light, bells, etc.

Does it really makes sense to increase the danger when trying to catch an armed individual committing a misdemeanor? Otherwise, an officer might just as well leave his sidearm in his vehicle when issuing a speeding ticket.

Any officer who opts for methods that decreases his/her chances of being shot and killed has my backing.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/03/14 01:53 PM.

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4884416 01/03/14 02:46 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Do we know if he was wearing his orange vest and hat? Just curious

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: jskin] #4884463 01/03/14 02:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jskin
Do we know if he was wearing his orange vest and hat? Just curious

You would think both would be required when hunting a WMA, but both far less effective in the dark.

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4885027 01/03/14 06:41 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
You would think both would be required when hunting a WMA, but both far less effective in the dark.

LOL, It is during certain firearm hunting activities, but it was after dark when he was shot. Hunter orange is NOT required during non-daylight hours. In other words, that is it required during daylight hours had no bearing.

Quote:
Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove).

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=6&activity=hunting

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: HuntnFly67] #4885219 01/03/14 07:56 PM
S
swellcat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

Quote:
. . . attempted murderers.

Quote:
Stephens faces a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony, and Haddix faces a charge of failure to report a felony, a Class A misdemeanor, Cox said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/01/...1#storylink=cpy

Re: Game Warden shot in the chest across the road from my place tonight........ [Re: lakewaydr50] #4885358 01/03/14 08:53 PM
B
blackfoot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Throw this at you....My goose scout came in last night....His stepdad was one of the first on scene EMT...Wasn't a direct/straight hit....bullet was tumbling when it hit him....Word is that the distance was 490 yards from shot to hit....Yall chew on it...Think you could hear someone from that distance yell at you? AND, if my Prairie doggin ballistics are correct...Think I was told that if someone was shooting a .308 at a 1000 yards, at 500 yards the bullet would be 32 feet in the air.... Am I right?

Last edited by blackfoot; 01/03/14 09:02 PM.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide