Print Thread
Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers #4861714 12/23/13 08:44 PM
L
Loden Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
I have a Johnny Stewart Prey Master and the calls last approximately 2 minutes.

1. Should I wait for any amount of time before restarting the call, or call continuously?

2. Does changing to a different sound during the same calling sequence help or hurt the calling? Example: woodpecker to cottontail.

3. How long do you call in a stand before moving on?

4. What is good distance to set up between stands? Is 200 yards enough in thick cover?

5. Do you start off high or low volume, and how long to call before changing the volume?

We did call in a bobcat this morning within the 1st ten minutes, and my son rolled it with 00 buckshot at about 30 yards in the chest, but it ran off and we couldn't find any blood except for where it was rolling around after the shot. I figured #4 buck would be better. We looked for a long time and never found the cat or any more blood.

Texas CHL Instructor
TCLEOSE Firearms Instructor
Cherokee County 4-H Clay Crushers Coach
Master Mason - Euclid Lodge #45

"Perfect practice makes perfect"
Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4862094 12/23/13 11:51 PM
Steve
Steve
1. Call continuously

2. Doesn't hurt, sometimes it's required

3. 30 minutes for coyotes, up to an hour if I think I could call in a cat.

4. 200yds is ok if the cover is thick

5. Start low, low enough to where you can barely hear it yourself and raise the volume about every 5 minutes.

Chupa

Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4862272 12/24/13 01:11 AM
C
Clay Reid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Id like to put my two cents in but I have learned my lesson about giving advice on public forums . No matter what I tell you there will be 100 that will call me an idiot and 100 that will call me a genius . I don't mind giving my opinion but Id rather do it in a real conversation . 940-631-8820 I always like making a new friend .

3-time TEXAS COYOTE CALLING CHAMPION
FoxPro Field staff-Predator Division
New Mexico State Champion
Reserve World champion
Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4862513 12/24/13 02:51 AM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I'll tell you what, if your gonna listen to anyone Clay Ried is one of the ones to listen to.

I'd give you about the same advice as chupa.

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4863786 12/24/13 06:05 PM
P
predator patrol Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I think that 30 min is long enough to call and I start offlow and get a little louder after about ten min. I start and stop the sound every 3-5 min. I generally set up about every 350-500 yards. Coyotes and cats can hear a long ways. I've been calling in the daytime and had a cat come from about 300 yards and watched him the whole way. I think it is very easy to over call an area. I change sounds from birds to rabbits. However, I rarely use e- callers but I do own 3 of them. This is just my way of doing it and if you're oppinion differs so be it but don't bash mine. I also guide for predators.

Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4863849 12/24/13 06:30 PM
C
Clay Reid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Had a great conversation with Mr. Loden and hope to see him in January but if I don't at least I met a new friend . Thanks Furdown for the compliment . Im always learning and love visiting with other people to learn even more .

3-time TEXAS COYOTE CALLING CHAMPION
FoxPro Field staff-Predator Division
New Mexico State Champion
Reserve World champion
Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4864113 12/24/13 08:48 PM
L
Loden Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
Thanks for all of the advise gentlemen. As Mr. Reid said we had a great conversation, and look forward to the next one. I'll try not to keep you on the phone so long next time, but it is always nice swapping stories and just jawwing about hunting. Thanks again.

Texas CHL Instructor
TCLEOSE Firearms Instructor
Cherokee County 4-H Clay Crushers Coach
Master Mason - Euclid Lodge #45

"Perfect practice makes perfect"
Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4864921 12/25/13 04:07 AM
G
guess Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Chupa covered it pretty well.

The only things I do different:

I never stay on stand more than 15 minutes unless I feel really good about the stand.

I do start the volume low but move it up in seconds. Here's my reasoning. You think when something grabs a rabbit he starts out screaming at a low pitch? Heck no! He's screaming his butt off! Now that said if you hunt like me and try to get in close to the coyote or area you think he's in before calling, you may want to start low as stated. however I waste no time in getting loud quick!

The truth is, there is no right or wrong way as far as how much to call, how long to call,switching sounds etc. Men make rules animals don't follow them. There are generalities to follow.
Information here is worth what you pay for it.take it for what it is, use as much or a little as you like and develop your own method as you gain experience and skill.

Post pics!

check us out of facebook https://www.facebook.com/boarcaller/

sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Silent Legion, Alamo Precision Rifles,Hornady, StealthpodX, third coast thermal
Re: Few Questions for the Experienced Predator Callers [Re: Loden] #4866841 12/26/13 04:58 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I agree with every post but will add this. Even if you are half bobcat and half coyote, different conditions, areas, times of the year and conditions can cause predators to react different, so don't be afraid to try something that might not be recommended. Some of the best callers and call makers perfected their skills by getting outside, if only to sit in the backyard and call up neighbors cats.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide