Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tipping Guide #4860707 12/23/13 03:05 PM
T
TexasDean Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Thinking about a guided duck hunt in the DFW area. Have never been on a guided hunt, so am not up to speed on etiquette with regards to tipping. What is a common tip amount for a successful hunt in the $125-$150 range? Having bartended and waited tables in college years, I am a pretty good tipper (20-25%) when service is good, but am unclear if ~$30 is adequate on a $150 guided hunt.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4860723 12/23/13 03:10 PM
T
txbowhunt7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
To me its more about how the guide treats you than if you kill birds. You can shoot every bird you see but your guide could be an a$$. If your guide works hard, gives you an enjoyable hunt, and you kill birds $30-$50 depending how great it is

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4860726 12/23/13 03:12 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Yeah for paid guided hunts I've done anything from $20-40. Sometimes I'll also buy them a meal or give them shells. Personally I don't think you tip based on the number of birds in the bag but more the effort you felt they gave. You can have a guide that does not really do much and have a great hunt or you can have a very professional hard working guide and you just end up having a bad hunt. I'll tip the professional hard working guy even if the hunt was not a bang up hunt.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Marcstar] #4860741 12/23/13 03:18 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Yeah for paid guided hunts I've done anything from $20-40. Sometimes I'll also buy them a meal or give them shells. Personally I don't think you tip based on the number of birds in the bag but more the effort you felt they gave. You can have a guide that does not really do much and have a great hunt or you can have a very professional hard working guide and you just end up having a bad hunt. I'll tip the professional hard working guy even if the hunt was not a bang up hunt.

I agree with this, having spent a little time on both sides of the blind. Bad days hunting happen, unprofessionalism and poor service are not tied to any of those factors.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4860767 12/23/13 03:26 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
$50 sounds decent enough

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4860790 12/23/13 03:35 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
20% minimum

but $50 is better

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861319 12/23/13 06:33 PM
O
Otto Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
If I'm satisfied with the service:
If the guide is the owner I don't tip but either buy lunch,gas or give shells.
Otherwise I tip $20 per hunter.
However if the guide is shooting I don't tip and I don't go hunting with the outfit again.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Otto] #4861387 12/23/13 06:58 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Otto
However if the guide is shooting I don't tip and I don't go hunting with the outfit again.

I understand that you want to kill birds but why is it not acceptable for the guide to kill his limit with you? I've talked to others with the same view on the topic but would like to hear yours?

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861413 12/23/13 07:11 PM
B
Billbreaker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
What's so bad about a guide shooting his limit as well?

I don't carry change, but I love breaking bills!
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861495 12/23/13 07:36 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Tip depending on these things

• Where they prompt at returning calls, email or PMs.
• Did they answer all your questions above satisfaction
• Where they in time (10 minutes early is on time)
• Did they treat you like a hunting buddy and not a client
• Did they re-set decoys if birds weren't quite finishing?
• Where they kind and courteous
• Where they upfront with the entire operation

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861613 12/23/13 08:11 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
If I booked a hunt Im thinking I would book with Cody or Jeff. Just because it seems like a good time even if you dont kill birds. Thats if Cody stops sinking his boat. Haha

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861648 12/23/13 08:22 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
And from what I have heard/red they would earn the tip

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861654 12/23/13 08:25 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Nothing wrong with the guide shooting as well as long as he's not killing singles before you get a chance to shoot. If it's a big flock and he shoots or say you have already killed your redheads or pintails or whatever then who cares?

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Hogman4127] #4861681 12/23/13 08:33 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
If I booked a hunt Im thinking I would book with Cody or Jeff. Just because it seems like a good time even if you dont kill birds. Thats if Cody stops sinking his boat. Haha

Here is Cody in the blind with a client.

Client: Bla bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla, blablalal bl bla.

Cody: Nice.

Cody: Sweet.

Cody: Awesome.

roflmao

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Cody Malone] #4861684 12/23/13 08:34 PM
A
ARQuacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: Cody Malone - AKA "Nice"
Tip depending on these things

• Where they prompt at returning calls, email or PMs.
• Did they answer all your questions above satisfaction
• Where they in time (10 minutes early is on time)
• Did they treat you like a hunting buddy and not a client
• Did they re-set decoys if birds weren't quite finishing?
• Where they kind and courteous
• Where they upfront with the entire operation

well put.

Alan

Green light. GO!
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861701 12/23/13 08:40 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
And from what I have heard/red they would earn the tip

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861796 12/23/13 09:28 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You forgot really, no doubt, no way, you ain't lyin, shoot em, kill em, smoke em, that was to easy

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #4861867 12/23/13 09:56 PM
O
Otto Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

I understand that you want to kill birds but why is it not acceptable for the guide to kill his limit with you? I've talked to others with the same view on the topic but would like to hear yours?

What's wrong?
For one he's there to guide not hunt.Tell me any other hunt where the guide hunts or shoots with you!
I don't mind him finishing cripples in the water but shooting with me and other customers in the blind instead of watching where the ducks are falling and working the dog is totally unacceptable for me.
If a guide wants to hunt he can hunt on his off days or in the afternoon.That's the biggest sign of a professional instead of somebody who's trying to make couple bucks on the side while enjoying himself.
However some others might like a guy who shoots not only his limit but help filling the customer's too.
I've been duck hunting 40 years and I've seen it all.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4861887 12/23/13 10:05 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I've been both a guide as well as a paid hunter and can see each side of the tip/don't tip debate. From my perspective as a guide, a tip is always appreciated but not expected. Those who don't tip are always welcomed back and nothing more is thought of it. I would much rather have a non-tipping, repeat customer, hunt with me several times a year versus a big tipping customer that hunts once and never comes back. However, I can sure see it from the paying hunter's viewpoint. If a guide wants $200 instead of $150, then that should be made clear up front as the advertised price. The hunter then doesn't have to feel like he slighted the guide if he didn't tip and the guide got the amount of money he was looking for.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Otto] #4861977 12/23/13 10:56 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter

What's wrong?
For one he's there to guide not hunt.Tell me any other hunt where the guide hunts or shoots with you!
I don't mind him finishing cripples in the water but shooting with me and other customers in the blind instead of watching where the ducks are falling and working the dog is totally unacceptable for me.
If a guide wants to hunt he can hunt on his off days or in the afternoon.That's the biggest sign of a professional instead of somebody who's trying to make couple bucks on the side while enjoying himself.
However some others might like a guy who shoots not only his limit but help filling the customer's too.
I've been duck hunting 40 years and I've seen it all.

I'm not saying that it has to be a team effort or that he should kill more than his limit, and the situation may call for something different (a single or double coming in) but if a flock of lets say 10 comes in and lets also say there's only 2 hunters and the guide, I don't have a problem with the guide shooting as well. He should give the clients first shot but once the birds are shot into why cant he pick out a bird. Just because he's hunting doesn't mean he cant be "watching where the ducks are falling and working the dog". When I go with my buddies and we all jump up and shoot, knocking a few birds down, Im still able to help the dog mark and work her.
just a personal preference I guess, thanks for sharing!

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4862429 12/24/13 02:17 AM
T
txbowhunt7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
If you don't want the guide shooting, then I hope you don't expect 18 birds at the end of the day if its just you and a buddy. I've been the guide that has shot with large flocks after the first shots are fired. I've had customers ask me not to, and I've had even more say they want a pile for the pics, in which I do what I can to help out. It's all based on the customer IMO. I think most guides would tell you they hunt enough that they don't have to shoot, and definitely don't mean any offense by it.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4862454 12/24/13 02:27 AM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
I hunted with Jeff a couple years ago, if he hadn't shot I would have gone home duckless blush My Fat a** couldn't sit up fast enough in the layout. So him shooting didn't bother me one bit. up

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4862459 12/24/13 02:28 AM
V
VictorWooten Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
V
I would find it odd if a guide didn't shoot... I like layed back hunts where the guide feels like a pal not "the help"... IMO if the guide isn't shooting, cussing and telling as many BS stories as me he isn't doing his job.

Re: Tipping Guide [Re: TexasDean] #4862473 12/24/13 02:34 AM
B
Blake E. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I shoot when big groups come in. I always shoot last. If someone doesn't want me to shoot that's great too. Its always up to the hunter. I tell everybody this is your hunt and I want to do my best to cater to them. I have had a lot of guys ask me to shoot. I have had a few ask me to just shoot cripples. I did have a nice old man ask me not to shoot one time. We had about 200 birds come in the first 5 minutes of the hunt. I would tell him to get em and he would sit up and just look in awe. after no shots on 200 birds I then asked him if he would like me to shoot at the next group to get the ball rolling. He said he would because he could not concentrate and did not want to miss with me watching with all those birds. We killed some birds. He was a cool old man. We shot a band and he told to take it if I would mount the bird. I got side tracked but just thought I would share. Speaking of tips he tipped me that band. The best tip I ever got because every time I look at that bird I remember that cool, strange, and awesome hunt.

Blake (940) 389-0801
www.texasduckndove.com
Re: Tipping Guide [Re: Blake E.] #4862553 12/24/13 03:06 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Blake E.
I shoot when big groups come in. I always shoot last. If someone doesn't want me to shoot that's great too. Its always up to the hunter. I tell everybody this is your hunt and I want to do my best to cater to them. I have had a lot of guys ask me to shoot. I have had a few ask me to just shoot cripples. I did have a nice old man ask me not to shoot one time. We had about 200 birds come in the first 5 minutes of the hunt. I would tell him to get em and he would sit up and just look in awe. after no shots on 200 birds I then asked him if he would like me to shoot at the next group to get the ball rolling. He said he would because he could not concentrate and did not want to miss with me watching with all those birds. We killed some birds. He was a cool old man. We shot a band and he told to take it if I would mount the bird. I got side tracked but just thought I would share. Speaking of tips he tipped me that band. The best tip I ever got because every time I look at that bird I remember that cool, strange, and awesome hunt.

So, did the old man really shot that banded bird?
Were you waiting impatiently in the car at 5:55am while he was desperately loading up his cooler with some cold ones? Always crack your windows while having the old man in your car reeking like a drunken sailor from the night before.
Never a dull moment with the old man. Always stories. The problem is that you need 400 birds on your tank in order for him to shoot that one greenhead he is so desperately after. I still dont understand why he is not shooting heavyshot nr 7 1/2 to increase his chances at them birds within 9 yards.

I went to many hunts with that old man, he is a trip. He reminds me of ray sasser i hunted with before who only took doves within 10 yards.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 12/24/13 03:11 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide