Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4801862 12/03/13 03:16 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: 2000cbr929
It is nice....and I do not have an issue particularly with the hunters as a whole rather the issue with some people not going the extra step and calling so I can help them retrieve their animal, and just leaving them to rot. I could care less if the deer shot from their side of the fence came off my place. Shooting over the wire is however not acceptable. The unrecovered half eaten doe I found would have died in his pasture if he had placed the feeder in the pasture rather than on the fence. She only made it 30 yards. His blind is 75 yards from the feeder. He is shooting a scoped rifle. There should be no excuse for poor shooting at that range.

cheers

Not one thing wrong with this!

I'd risk making the call for help and being told "no" instead of just walking off and wasting the deer. Sometimes even the "good" shots don't bring one down immediately but if one is going to hunt on the fence, it's probably a good idea to have the ducks in a row before popping a cap. yingyang

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: Hunt n Fish] #4801908 12/03/13 03:31 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
It is nice....and I do not have an issue particularly with the hunters as a whole rather the issue with some people not going the extra step and calling so I can help them retrieve their animal, and just leaving them to rot. I could care less if the deer shot from their side of the fence came off my place. Shooting over the wire is however not acceptable. The unrecovered half eaten doe I found would have died in his pasture if he had placed the feeder in the pasture rather than on the fence. She only made it 30 yards. His blind is 75 yards from the feeder. He is shooting a scoped rifle. There should be no excuse for poor shooting at that range.

cheers

Not one thing wrong with this!

I'd risk making the call for help and being told "no" instead of just walking off and wasting the deer. Sometimes even the "good" shots don't bring one down immediately but if one is going to hunt on the fence, it's probably a good idea to have the ducks in a row before popping a cap. yingyang
man hunting is getting ta be more & more complicated confused2 Grandpa tell me about the good ol days flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 1860.colt] #4802117 12/03/13 04:42 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I think I would rather have the stand on the fence line and the feeder 75 yards out in the pasture. It amazes me people will lease places with little to no cover on it expecting to draw them off the property beside it. Makes no sense to me. I have passed on several places like this.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: passthru] #4802176 12/03/13 05:03 PM
2000cbr929 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: passthru
I think I would rather have the stand on the fence line and the feeder 75 yards out in the pasture. It amazes me people will lease places with little to no cover on it expecting to draw them off the property beside it. Makes no sense to me. I have passed on several places like this.

Now there's a thought!

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: passthru] #4802198 12/03/13 05:09 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: passthru
popcorn thngs never learn in english class flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4802237 12/03/13 05:19 PM
T
TexastoaD Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Shooting across fences is illegal, but hunting anywhere or setting up anywhere on your own land is legal. They always say the grass is greener on the other side and that's why it's done. They know what's on their land but not yours. Only way to solve is reach deep and put up high fence.

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: TexastoaD] #4802495 12/03/13 06:56 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: TexastoaD
Shooting across fences is illegal, but hunting anywhere or setting up anywhere on your own land is legal. They always say the grass is greener on the other side and that's why it's done. They know what's on their land but not yours. Only way to solve is reach deep and put up high fence.
welcome ta THF my pockets got holes in them, have always hunted lf confused2 flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: TexastoaD] #4802634 12/03/13 07:29 PM
G
gonefishing-2day Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Originally Posted By: TexastoaD
No just move a stand next to his or his feeder and add poles with white sheets. let the wind be your friend. No deer in there right mine will come close to a flag popping in the wind.

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4803400 12/03/13 10:43 PM
B
Buckenvy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I'll admit.... I'm a fence hunter....but back of my stands are on fence, with no back windows, we never shoot thru or over the fence and feeders are at least 75yrds away from fence. My 150 acres backs up to about 7000 acres and with agreement of other owner I can track a jumper....but better have blood on my side!

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: Buckenvy] #4803685 12/04/13 12:17 AM
B
BLUERIBBONS Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I wish they would pass a law that feeders had to be at least 100 yards from perimeter fences. I also take issue to hunters that crowd up to the fence line. I have posted on this subject recently. http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ede#Post4699502

This past weekend I noticed on my drive back that the neighbor hunters were shining lights close to one of our fence lines. I knew they had a feeder out in front of the blind looking east so I was curious how a deer shot at that feeder would end up going southwest of the blind. So the next day I drove down our fence line and discovered these guys had put up another feeder about 20 yards from our fence line shooting directly into our lease and towards our camp ground. That afternoon I heard them shoot again so I drove down to the fence line to speak with them. I tried to be friendly and explained they needed to move the feeder and why. The guy argued with me and said anybody that rifle hunts is probably shooting across fence lines! I told him that I didn't want to be a jackwagon and just call the warden that I wanted to give them a heads up. Well the next day they moved the blind so they are shooting down the fence line instead of over it! There is a small wooded area there but the rest of that area is coastal field so there sole intention is pulling deer from our lease. Which some people think is ok but these guys on this particular lease have literally ruined the hunting on their lease by over hunting it and so they have to rely on pulling deer in just to see deer. I believe they have 800 acres and have 15 hunters. They also allow guests,relatives just about anyone that wants to hunt. From my understanding they have a cheap lease per hunter so I don't know why they don't get their heads out of their butts and realize they need to downsize their hunters to a reasonable number before all the deer are gone! soap

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4803716 12/04/13 12:31 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
2000cbr929, I think it all comes down to common sense and ethics. I find very few experienced hunters making "mistakes". I got a call last weekend from an elderly lady. She had leased her land and her hunters had killed a doe. But, they didn't know how to gut it. They offered to pay me to do it but I declined. Instead, I told them that I would show them how to do it. They listened, did it and thanked me.

But mistakes can happen. I got a call about 5 years ago from a neighbor that had found one of his colts down and had been shot. He needed to borrow my front end loader. I wasn't there so told him where to find the keys. The Sheriff's Deputy and GW went to a neighboring place where there were hunters. One of the hunters admitted that he had shot at a deer that morning and missed. He showed the Law where he had been hunting and where the deer had been. He said that he didn't see how he could have let the bullet go on a neighboring place but that his shot was the only one he had heard that morning so there was a good chance that he had done it. He accompanied the GW to the neighbors place, apologized and paid for the horse. The Landowner talked to the GW and asked that no citation be issued. Although there was no proof, the hunter impressed everybody by manning up.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4848480 12/18/13 03:38 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
confused2 Sounds like u need ta invest in putting a high fence around your place. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4848777 12/18/13 05:20 PM
C
camartin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
The good news for your slob is that if he shoots you while you are walking around it sounds like it will not be a fatal wound. rifle bolt

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: camartin] #4848831 12/18/13 05:40 PM
2000cbr929 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: camartin
The good news for your slob is that if he shoots you while you are walking around it sounds like it will not be a fatal wound. rifle bolt

Funny

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4849178 12/18/13 07:29 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
I was at my ranch over Thanksgiving and observed first hand just how (at least my fenceline hunter) is such a slob.

I noticed last year the blind tucked under an oak tree, and then the feeder twio feet from my fence with a game camera attached to my line post. This year would be no different. I have a nice perch on the hillside 200' above the valley that I can see around 300 acres including the fencline my sloppy neighbor hunter utilizes. Saturday morning I hear the shot, and the impact followed by the follow up shot and no noticable impact. I watch with my spotter as he exits his blind and goes to the feeder. I see no deer on the ground. I watch to see if he crosses the fence, and he does not. He then goes back to his blind grabs something from the blind and walks to his truck rifle on his shoulder empty handed and leaves. I figure maybe he is going to get help or something. He does not return after 40 minutes. I get in the jeep with my son, and grab the dog, and head to the fence line and immediately find blood on my side of the fence. We dont find the deer, but do find a deer laying in the dich that has beend eaten to the bone by coyotes that had obviously been shot some time recent. The hide had been removed and was some 30 yards from the remnants of the spine. What does a fenceline hunter expect when he shoots a deer? Does it seem plausible that when he doesn't drop it in its tracks that the deer will run anywhere but back where it came from? This is two for two from this guy. For crying out loud move the stupid feeder into the pasture and away from the damned fence and be sure you anchor the animal you freaking slob. I intend to call the neighbor and let him know his lease hunter is slob hunter that has no respect for the wildlife he hunts. The warden has been informed, and had I found the second animal the hunter would have heard from him. There are no less than 3 fenceline hunters on adjoining properties. Owning 1200 acres one would think you might not have to worry about walking around and not at some point being shot at. That is not the case, and regardless of what some think on here there is no case where this set up should be considered safe, ethical, moral or acceptable. Get some manners!

back so your advice is turn in hunters like this flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4849329 12/18/13 08:35 PM
O
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Threads like this remind me why I seldom hunt anymore......I refuse to enter a world of armed and dangerous idiots who have concern for others or where their shots may travel.

I quit hunting public land years ago for this reason, but now so many small properties mean much of the same issues exist.

Be safe and aware of those around you.....

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: OldTexan] #4849384 12/18/13 08:58 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
That might explain the meth labs on public land keep hearing about, no one guarding them. confused2 back flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 1860.colt] #4849501 12/18/13 09:40 PM
2000cbr929 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: colt.45
I was at my ranch over Thanksgiving and observed first hand just how (at least my fenceline hunter) is such a slob.

I noticed last year the blind tucked under an oak tree, and then the feeder twio feet from my fence with a game camera attached to my line post. This year would be no different. I have a nice perch on the hillside 200' above the valley that I can see around 300 acres including the fencline my sloppy neighbor hunter utilizes. Saturday morning I hear the shot, and the impact followed by the follow up shot and no noticable impact. I watch with my spotter as he exits his blind and goes to the feeder. I see no deer on the ground. I watch to see if he crosses the fence, and he does not. He then goes back to his blind grabs something from the blind and walks to his truck rifle on his shoulder empty handed and leaves. I figure maybe he is going to get help or something. He does not return after 40 minutes. I get in the jeep with my son, and grab the dog, and head to the fence line and immediately find blood on my side of the fence. We dont find the deer, but do find a deer laying in the dich that has beend eaten to the bone by coyotes that had obviously been shot some time recent. The hide had been removed and was some 30 yards from the remnants of the spine. What does a fenceline hunter expect when he shoots a deer? Does it seem plausible that when he doesn't drop it in its tracks that the deer will run anywhere but back where it came from? This is two for two from this guy. For crying out loud move the stupid feeder into the pasture and away from the damned fence and be sure you anchor the animal you freaking slob. I intend to call the neighbor and let him know his lease hunter is slob hunter that has no respect for the wildlife he hunts. The warden has been informed, and had I found the second animal the hunter would have heard from him. There are no less than 3 fenceline hunters on adjoining properties. Owning 1200 acres one would think you might not have to worry about walking around and not at some point being shot at. That is not the case, and regardless of what some think on here there is no case where this set up should be considered safe, ethical, moral or acceptable. Get some manners!

back so your advice is turn in hunters like this flag

As a matter of fact when it involves waste of game, myself and my family's safety, the possiblilty of one of my cows being "accidentally shot"................Not only yes but he77 yes!

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: 2000cbr929] #4850732 12/19/13 03:36 AM
C
CHRIS1981 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Had our neighbor call me over the weekend. We have a blind / feeder set up close to his fence and when i say close i mean its about 300 yards from the feeder to his fence line. Just wanted to let me know he would be hunting a blind that was on his side of the fence that i could not see because of a hill. I told him no worries i would not be hunting that blind the rest of the year and i apologized for having a blind / feeder set up close to a blind i didnt no was there. Told him i would move the set up after season.. Told me not to worry about it as he hunts that blind 1 time a year maybe. But i am still going to move it.. Moral of the story is i have this kind of relationship with all my neighbors.. Just talk to the hunter and see what 2 adults can work out.

Re: Advice for fenceline hunters [Re: CHRIS1981] #4851705 12/19/13 03:54 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
up understand what every one is saying, an think its a good subject. tittle is fence line hunters, thats not illegal, as posted else were was on 200acre lease, ours were all at least 100yds from fence. walking fence line to sons stand, hunter on other side of fence sat parrellel, flunked spelling, with fence, every thing legal, we chatted had no problem with his ethics. not every one has the money for large tracks of land. I hunt public land, mostly hogs, had police show up at house, some one had reported my truck said they had to run ke off. officer was doing his job, I was just hunting. just wish person who called cops would have had the decency of talken ta me first. i'm not that big, shoulder, back, knee, problems, couldnt fight my way out of a wet brown paper bag. flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide