Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,262
Posts9,734,969
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read #4841301 12/16/13 04:53 AM
R
RoadBlock Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
My wife and I where invited out to Buffalo Springs Ranch in Stanton Tx for a disabled Veteran hunt. After a long drive with my wife and 3 dogs we showed up at this amazing ranch. I had about 45 minutes to settle in and get my gear together before Csd took me out to my first sit of the weekend. We saw a crazy looking 5 point and 4 does, it was fun to see some deer after only hunting 2 times this season and to get to know a fellow crazy person. Went back to the ranch and spent several hours trying to cook without propane, finally at midnight I got to eat the biggest darn pork chop I've ever seen. Went to the blind the next morning and although the temp had dipped 10 degrees we didn't see anything. Cut to the evening hunt and I got to sit in a blind with my wife and Csd and see a great looking nine point (8 with split brow tines), I asked my wife if she wanted to shoot him and since it was the first buck she'd ever seen, she couldn't breathe, she told me to shoot. I took the shot and put the bullet high in his shoulder, he took off into the brush limping hard. We found some blood and a trail but came up blank, brought in blood dogs and they found a good trail and it simply died after about 150 yds, from what we can tell he bedded down and got jumped by some coyotes. We made 3 passes and found nothing. Got depressed and annoyed with the fact that no matter how ya slice it, that's why it's called hunting not killing. We went to bed late again, got up early again and hit the ground running this morning. Got in the blind around 6, struggled a bit to stay awake until the feeder kicked at 7:08 and at 7:12 a nice buck came in, I tried to get a shot off with the rifle I was using but my rifle had a 50mm lens on the scope that pulls in tons of light, great when your not facing the rising sun, unfortunately I was and I had all glare and no deer. Luckily Csd had his 25-06 with him and offered it for me to try. I pulled the power down as far as it would go, I finally had my shot, the deer was quartering away from me and I settled the cross hairs and fired. Blew out both lungs and the bullet lodged in opposite shoulder, he dropped without taking a step, right under the feeder. I am psyched had a blast at the ranch, met some new friends, had the best hunt I've ever been on. And I feel absolutely privileged for all that was done for me. Here are a few pics from the weekend and the deer. Thanks for reading.

This pic I took because I remembered all the pics Ives even of the view from peoples stands this is my view from this morning, if you look closely you can see a white belly under the feeder.

Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: RoadBlock] #4841539 12/16/13 01:14 PM
T
TxYoteHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Congratulations. Sux that you couldn't find the other buck but those things happen I suppose. Great looking facilities there. Thanks for your service also. flag

Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: TxYoteHunter] #4841567 12/16/13 01:40 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Congrats!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: Seadog] #4842215 12/16/13 05:05 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Great that you got one. He's a pretty buck too. They've got a nice looking place there. Glad that y'all had a good time, and thank you for your service RoadBlock.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: Erathkid] #4842236 12/16/13 05:10 PM
H
harperdr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Congrats on the buck. That's a very nice ranch house

The willingness to succeed is not as important as the willingness to prepare.
Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: harperdr1] #4842426 12/16/13 06:05 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Congrats

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: RoadBlock] #4852844 12/19/13 09:58 PM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
no pictures of me eh? I see how it is, lol.

Pleasure hunting with you Ray. I'm going to keep looking for split brow. May take me a year or two, but I'll find him out there. I only have, what, around 1200 acres to cover where I think he might have expired.... I know that he is somewhere in the triangle between 2 (where you shot him), 3 (where we sat first) and 5 (where we sat and saw nothing that morning).

Lonnie will have your mount done in about 7 days and I'll ship it out to you as soon as it is complete.

For those curious, tracking services were provided by Nelson Lay, or "NLAY" here on the forum, and his sister Bliss.
They run Blue Lacy's, the state dog of texas. Talk about some dogs with DRIVE. On the way to where RoadBlock shot the splitbrow, I jumped 6 does in my truck. Thought Bliss's Lacy was gonna go through my cab window everytime she saw a deer.

Poor bliss got wrapped in her dog's leash on one track. Ever seen a pretty lady, maybe 100lbs soaking wet, being drug through mesquite and pricklypears by a 50lb dog like she was a rag doll? We were all worn out after that night.

Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: RoadBlock] #4852906 12/19/13 10:16 PM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Might sound odd, but this was MY birthday present from the ranch owners. Thanks for making my birthday present a great one Ray. As bad as I wanted to hunt solo the evening yall left, I was absolutely worn out. Woke up at 2am in the lodge and figured I should get home and get ready for work.

Lot of comments on here about the ranch house so I'll give a little history of the ranch.

Buffalo Springs Ranch and Lodge in Lomax, TX was formerly operated as a bed and breakfast. The main lodge consists of the great room, a professional kitchen, 4 bedrooms, and 5 complete bathrooms.

Adjacent bunkhouse is 8br/8bath with a small wet bar at one end.

During it's time as a bed and breakfast, it was also a venue for weddings and such. During deer season, the ranch was operated by "fair game tv" and this is the ranch they filmed all of their hunts on.

Ranch is now owned by a family corporation/business. Ranch is used to entertain clients, a venue for board meetings, and special invite hunts such as this. If you aren't family, friends, a major oil/gas company, or if you didn't put your life on the line for this country... you can't hunt here.

Currently, there is only one buck in B&C from Buffalo Springs. Ranch owners also own Brazos Valley Whitetails. Plans for the ranch are to eventually high-fence and release breeding stock's genetics. The Ranch is 3600 acres located in Glasscock, County. Unfortunately, this is the epicenter of the Cline shale and j-cleo Thompson and Pioneer Natural Resources are poppin a hole every 40 acres...hunting has continually gone downhill with the cline shale production, so this ranch isn't hunted much at all anymore.

This was the last hunt of the season for BSR unless I decide to go looking for a cull, if I have time. I am obsessed with the Renderbrook Spade. Hard to convince me to hunt elsewhere, even if it's free.

Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: RoadBlock] #4855942 12/20/13 11:38 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Congratulations, sounds like a great hunt!!!

Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: RoadBlock] #4865985 12/25/13 08:54 PM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Thanks Nathan. You were/are my inspiration.

Re: A great vet hunt in west Tx, thanks to Csd and buffalo springs ranch, long read [Re: RoadBlock] #4876968 12/31/13 06:50 AM
C
Csddarden Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Back from my taxidermist, packed up and sent off. Should be on your porch Thursday.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide