Page 1 of 2 1 2
Zombie Hog Encounters #4758520 11/18/13 05:50 PM
S
Scalpel4 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Few weekends back, I accompanied some noobs out on a hunt. We did well, 4 keepers, but there was one we couldn't keep.

I'm up with two of the guys walking them through the cleaning process off the grounds, cleaning up two we got that morning. Third guy still in the field. He was green but not a kid so I didn't worry about him.

Off in the distance I hear 3 shots, then a fourth, and I comment to the two I'm with "Man looks like he ran into a pack." Then we hear two more shots. Im thinking man, he shouldn't be running and gunning like that, good thing we're not out there with him. Then I hear another, then another, and I'm thinking to myself wth is he doing, so I tell my guys "Keep going, I'm going to see what the hell he's doing".

Jump in the truck, drive out to find him near the path, holding the rifle and waving me down. I jump out and say "Did you save any for us?" He says "Man that was just one, it just won't die." Immediately I think he's an idiot so I say "Let me finish him off." I walk up and see this little 80 pounder growling in the bush looking right at my guy, so I pull out the 357 and put one in the temple. Now this is 100% true at this point, doubt me if you want, but I swear on it.

That thing turned and looked right at me and started crawling in my direction. I'm thinking there's no way. I put one between the eyes from 4 feet, it crawls faster and starts growling at me now, slow chasing me. Now I don't use cheap ammo, these were barnes hollow points that leave a wound channel the size of a dime. Blood is spewing out of his head. I say "What the hell is this thing" and put one more next to it. Thats one in the temple and two between the eyes. It goes into a siezure but keeps crawling at me. I can also see other shots in his face, he's missing half his jaw, and blood is dripping from his chest plate. I put one more in between the eyes and finally he stops but keeps siezing and growling. So I tell my guy man lets walk away, we'll check him in a minute and see if he's bled out yet.

We come back 2 minutes later and he's finally dead. I talk to my guy and he put 8 30.06 lead shots in him, four in the torso, 4 in the head. I can say he shot another pig that day and it was a clean quick kill so him ammo was fine. We pull him out of the bush, just him open, and he's FULL of maggots. Chest cavity, digestion, riddling his insides. Something was definitely wrong with him. So I told my guy, we're throwing this one away, so we dragged it up to a trash can on the property and disposed of it.

now I've seen hogs run in all kinds of cases. My first one ran 100 yards with a hole through the heart. I aim for the the ear every time, no need to make them suffer. This one took two in the scar plate, all penetrated, one to the back downward when he almost got my guy, and one from the front through the shoulder which immobilized him. Also one of the jaw which was a reaction shot when my guy was freaked out, and 7 to the dome from close range.

I'm no rookie, he was, but I'm telling you that was the toughest hog I've ever seen. That hog should have been on AMC's the walking dead. True story everyone.

So everyone, feel free to post your encounters. I'd like to hear about them.

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Scalpel4] #4758812 11/18/13 07:32 PM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Wow. That's NUTZ.
A guy at my lease put several 308 rounds in the boiler room and then several more 357 mag before she gave up the ghost. She was about 125lbs iirc.
He is a member here so I'll let him chime in with story so its more accurate.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: target1911] #4758828 11/18/13 07:38 PM
C
cerda12 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
That's crazy!
Any pics?

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: cerda12] #4758958 11/18/13 08:11 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Full of maggots? How full? Halloween is past and long time from April 1st. This weekend was a full moon?

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: blackcoal] #4758968 11/18/13 08:16 PM
F
FreerOrBust Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I don't have a zombie story per say but have a story of a hog with a will to survive. So I shoot this 210lb boar with my 223 right in the next and he drops but kicks some. I keep the scope on him and he gets up so I shoot him in the heart and falls over again. He gets up once again and very slowly drags himself into the brush. I jumped out of the blind with my 45 and a light and start after him in the woods. I catch up to him and he is broad side so I double tap him right in the boiler room and he stumbles a bit and then lines up with me. I put another straight into his chest as I am kneeling to see him and he starts walking at me so I take aim and finally drop him with a shot right in the head. Had my heart going like crazy!

Just doing it for fun now.
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Scalpel4] #4759026 11/18/13 08:38 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
up on story, stuff of leagends I was that rookie, yep left a brown trail drippen out me shorts as twas running threw the woods, whin all of a sudden this limb reached out an touched me, & whin I woke up from my nap, we followed the trail back, he tells it alot better than I do flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: FreerOrBust] #4759262 11/18/13 09:39 PM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Back years ago my dad was deer hunting in Colorado. He was sitting on the side of a mountain looking down into a series of clearings in the woods that looked like the fingers of a hand. He was shooting an 8mm Mauser, and normally kept his shots below 200 yards. He saw a really big buck stumbling through the woods a long distance away, and through his scope he could see that there was a large bloody wound in his gut. My dad figured he would put the animal out of his misery, and raised his gun and fired. The deer dropped like a stone, and my dad pulled out a cigarette and waited (as was his custom). In a couple of minutes, the deer pulled himself to his feet and started running again. Again, my dad shot and the deer went town. In a minute, the deer struggled to his feet and started walking again. Again, bang, and the deer fell down. Once more, the deer struggled to his feet. My dad figured he must have been farther away than he thought, so he raised his point of aim and led him a little more. This time the deer pitched forward and went head first into a large tree. My dad watched him for about 10 minutes and he never moved. He went down the mountain, and it took about 20 minutes to reach the deer. When he was about 30 feet away, the smell was overpowering. There was blood and maggots caked all over his stomach. The deer's stomach was stretched so much ne looked like a balloon about to burst. When he dived into the tree, he shattered both antlers. So there was nothing left to claim. That deer absorbed 4 8mm rounds (last one in the head) plus whatever he was shot with first, and kept on going. It was a giant waste of venison and antlers.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: redfred] #4759721 11/18/13 11:42 PM
O
Oneshot.308 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Well, Target seems to be sure she was smaller than I claim, but I have some pics to post as soon as I figure it out and I will let ya'll decide.
I was sitting on a tripod on a fenceline that cuts through our property and overlooks a clearing and a pond that the hogs were hitting pretty regularly. Around 530 pm I hear a sounder of hogs coming through the mesquite flat to my left. There was about 12-15 of 'em and I lined up on the one right in front of me that had it's nose in the air smelling me. She was about 115 lbs and I let her have it through the front left shoulder and she drops where she stood, then all hell broke loose and they ran around like crazy ants heading basically back the way they came. Now Im shooting a .308 Browning Lever Action with scope and I had loaded 5, 1 in the chamber and 4 in the mag, so I let loose and missed the next shot through the trees, but that made them turn and a few started running straight down the fence line to my left, I popped the next one right through her Pooper and she went down( I was aiming for her head but I didnt lead it enough), that shot scattered them again, but that second one was still kicking so I put a better shot through her shoulder and she stopped squealing and moving ( not really needed but she was still trying to get up). Now I have one shot left and the BIG one ran across my field of view so I took a shot at her as well and heard the round hit.
Now comes the interesting part, I get down and see the other two are not going anywhere, so I go to look where the last one went through the fence. I am out of .308 and only have 6 in my .357 revolver. I find her about 5 yards on the other side of the fence laying on her side, snapping her jaws and snorting and trying to get up, my shot broke her back and she can't use her back legs. So, with dark approching, I carefully crawl under the barbwire fence with my pistol and spotlight out in front of me
( i'm too damn heavy to try to climb it and I dont want to fall and hurt myself as I am the ONLY person out on the lease). I walk up to her as close as I dare and put all 6 rounds through her chest. She reacted to the shots and looked like she was done. I leave and walk to get the atv and go back to camp to get a hitch rack for extra carrying capacity. It's been at least 45 minutes and now it's fully dark and shes NOT WHERE I LEFT HER! I see shes turned herself around deeper in the brush and is now FACING the fence again snapping her jaws and snorting...I take a breath and crawl under the fence again, this time with a small prayer.. I walk as close as I can and shot her right in the face under her left eye, well this just pissed her off again, she was able to jump up with only her front legs and came fully off the ground with only her butt touching and she fell on her side away from me...I stepped back and I was about to piss myself when she did that...I had a very clear shot behind her ear and FINALLY put a round where it did the job and I watched her take her last breath..
She was so heavy I could'nt pick her up to drag her( im 250, and generally when I take a hold of something, it moves), so I got some rope and tied it around her head and front feet and drug her out with the atv...She was more than twice the size of the others and from snout to tail she was over 5 feet long. I think she was around 200-225 or so..
Tally is 8 shots, 1 .308 150 grain round thru the spine, 8 .357 158 grain rounds, 6 in the chest, 1 in the head/face, 1 behind the ear...I go out with alot more ammo now and I switched to 180 grains on the .357
Sorry for the long story, but it was interesting to say the least...

Last edited by Oneshot.308; 11/18/13 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Oneshot.308] #4759792 11/19/13 12:02 AM
H
Humannpower Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Why do people always go out with a minimal amount of ammo? I though it was a rule of thumb to go out with a minimum of two magazines worth of ammo for each firearm you're carrying.

Originally Posted By: M Bennet
Iv got hogs an can show you a good time.

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Humannpower] #4759908 11/19/13 12:35 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I have a couple..

A buddy shot a hog with his bow that he never found. The next week we spotted a hog in the brush acting real funny. Well, when we got near it we could see entrails hanging out just to the back of the rib cage up high. He didnt do anything when we pulled up in the truck, but as soon as we got out he went nuts! It took a few shots, most not well placed, to put him down. He stunk like rotting guts and had maggots all inside the wound area. We didnt cut him open or even touch him!

The next year, after deer season we were walking the rimrock scouting for hogs in the valleys. My buddy made a great shot at probably 300yd on a big ol pig that was running about half speed. He tumbled, got up and ran just a few feet and augered in-woulda been a great YouTube video, except that didnt exist back then.. Anyway, while gutting the hog we found a knot on the inside of the rib cage. When I went to cut it open I got that metal on metal sound with my knife! We opened things up and there was a broad head stuck, on its way OUT, that had healed and turned into a cyst inside! The insides were too messed up from the ballistic tip bullet to look for signs of previous damage, but he didnt act nor look like he had a THING wrong with him! Best guess was that the arrow had basically gone between all the important stuff and then couldn't penetrate the offside ribs..

Ok, one more. Same rimrock scenario and my buddy shot a hog-or what he could see of one-at about 30yd with his 7mag. He ran around the small 'V' of the rock and shot it again..somewhere. I got over there right when he decided to climb down, .45 in hand, after it. Well, all hell broke loose when he entered the brush! He started screaming at me to shoot the pig because it was trying to get him! I couldn't see a THING through the scrub, and was actually worried a bullet might ricochet up out of there and take ME out. More hollering, a magazine change, more shooting and he finally sounded the all clear. Meanwhile little piglets were running all around like crazy little kamikaze fuzz balls. I shot one with my .44...just because, but I digress. When we got the pig, a sow, we noticed that she was lactating heavily-those were her piglets, the reason she refused to die. What we also noticed was that she had entrails hanging out, another 7mm hole low in the gut, and about 5 divots in the slope area of the head and snout! Not holes-divots. Those fmj .45 slugs never penetrated, just gouged out hide and hair and changed directions...

Last edited by pyledriver; 11/19/13 01:07 AM. Reason: Autocorrect sucks

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: pyledriver] #4760428 11/19/13 02:57 AM
B
BunnyBlaster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I saw my buddy shoot a hog 3 times in the vitals with a 5.45x39 Hornady before it went down.

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: pyledriver] #4760467 11/19/13 03:06 AM
O
Oneshot.308 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I have never heard of that rule. If you notice, my name is ONESHOT....even though I've had my share of well placed shots, I have also had my share of pulled shots and misses so it's more just a play on words than a truism.

However, I DO normally go out with extra ammo, just happened to forget to pack it in my backpack. I sure wasnt expecting to see, much less shoot at that many hogs. It was my 1st year on this lease and the leases ive been on before did not have this many hogs but i am sure more aware and prepared now.

Sidenote, we trapped 4 hogs a couple weeks ago and the guys who went out to clean them for sausage, told me that one boar in the trap was shot in the head 5 TIMES with a .45 and even fell down twice, then got up again both times, even after being hit right behind the ear and between the eyes...damn thing just kept running around inside the trap...

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Oneshot.308] #4760535 11/19/13 03:17 AM
T
target1911 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Oneshot.308
Well, Target seems to be sure she was smaller than I claim,

You may very well be right. She had been dead in the pile a couple of weeks before I seen her.....and there are a few monster hogz on the place.

"A good life is never too short"
My Dad
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: target1911] #4761398 11/19/13 03:18 PM
S
Scalpel4 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
To answer the questions, no pics, didn't take any pics on this trip, I was more being the helper. As far as maggots, it was gut cavity, but they were making their way up into the chest. There were plenty, not one or two. It may have been wounded before, but we put so much into it there was no way to tell. Damn thing looked like a piece of swiss hog cheese.

Last edited by Scalpel4; 11/19/13 03:19 PM.

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: target1911] #4761468 11/19/13 03:41 PM
G
guess Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
We have killed MANY hogs in the last 20 years, we have encountered a few Zombie hogs as well.

I've kept track of all instances and the one thing they all have in common; They were all pumped up for one reason or another. Some were spooked, some were attempting to breed and some were wounded with a bad shot or other mishap to begin with. Adrenalin is a powerful thing.

Some of you have seen my posts and videos. We: my family have taken on the name Hog Zombies, here is a short explanation why.

WHY HOG ZOMBIES?

Zombie; an animated corpse brought back to life by mystical or supernatural means.
Over the years we have encountered hogs that perfectly fit this first description. Appearing to have supernatural powers, immortal even. Ghastly beasts bent on killing their pursuer, unwilling to die. They stalk the night leaving an unmistakable path of destruction. Kill or be killed, they rule the environment in which they live.

Zombie can also describe a hypnotized person, still physically able to function and react to their task at hand.
The Guess clan has hunted hogs relentlessly for years now. We are obsessed. We hunt them day and night. When we’re not hunting them, we are subconsciously thinking about hunting them. Seemingly unaware of the thorn covered fortresses where hogs live, the poisonous reptiles, endless miles walked in extreme weather conditions, the cuts, scratches, insect bites and days on end with little sleep. We are always obsessed with finding new methods to locate and remove these prolific creatures of destruction. It’s as if we are hypnotized by the beasts.. It’s quite possible we have become the HOG ZOMBIES™

check us out of facebook https://www.facebook.com/boarcaller/

sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Silent Legion, Alamo Precision Rifles,Hornady, StealthpodX, third coast thermal
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: guess] #4761511 11/19/13 03:52 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Rolled up on a herd of 13 pigs one day while checking cows, and put the biggest sow down with head shot (actually eye shot) at 270 yards using my 6.8SPC and 110gr Ballistic Tip Hornady V-Max Loads. Sow went straight down and I thought she was DRT. Spent 45 mins tracking down and dispatching two other pigs. When I got back to the big sow she had stood up and was walking in a tight circle right where I left left her,and was making a low growling sound. Looked and acted like a Zombie pig IMO.. and no I don’t have pic’s… sorry. Was totally amazed she wasn’t dead being shot in the head. After putting her down for good I inspected the head shot and saw that it hit right on the edge of the orbital bone. Looked like the bullet blew her eye out and then did a frontal piggy lobotomy on her brain. Quit using that varmint round after that... accurate as heck, but fragging on impact with bone like that makes it worthless on pigs as far as I’m concerned.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Scalpel4] #4762454 11/19/13 09:18 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
up on the thread, hope ya didn't mind the editing earlier shorts still got the stains, lost the tag few years back, so no biggy, yellow in front brown in rear. Figure owe ya a tail offtopic Zombie Snake Encounters back is about a hog hunt. friend & i was down bye a creek whim we came across some hog sign, both carring the British 303, just a beaten on the drum, ops got carried away. at his side he was a toten a .45 1911 while i had me .44 cap & ball strapped by me side like back in the ol days slinger we eased a bit further whim came across somemoores, hog dodo wraped up in leaves, did the Dip Test grabbed a pinch, stuck it between me gum & check conferming we was getting close. just then a shot rang out did ya get em I asked, moccosen in the water he replied, doc in eased down the bank ya the creek, nothing confused2 as i stood their getting the crap out of me, splash drops the snake in the water inches from from were I'm standing, reached down grabbing snake turned ta ease up bank whin swoosh, smells like hogs he said, naw, this snake is alive & i just soiled me britches he was standing there his 303 in one hand my 303 in the other as started tward him he said, don't u dare, huh, confused2 not realizing he DOSNT like snakes, just getting off the bank, U do & we both gonna die, 1 I'm gonna sieve of a heartattack & 2 i'm gonna shoot u rofl still laugh at it today, started ta take anotherb step & explain just getting off the bank, whin hear this crash, while shifting 303 in right hand to left with other he stepped back an tripped over a branch laying at his feet guns flew, in comotion got off bank latex snake on ground eased back, bang bang bang bang he had emptied his 1911 in the snake, eased back to snake looked like the pipe ya use comming out of syptic tank, full of holes. it started ta move again, drew out my .44 & whin the smoke cleared, not much left. Tribute too a Friend R.I.P. some great memmories flag

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: 1860.colt] #4764593 11/20/13 03:56 PM
J
Jaret Latta Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Crazy stories!

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: Jaret Latta] #4764767 11/20/13 04:44 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
got attacked by an armadillo, scary part, its still out thar, think this phone is a zombie. rofl flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: 1860.colt] #4764926 11/20/13 05:30 PM
G
GTOutfitter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Exactly the reason my sidearm is a DE.50 It does the trick without a doubt. Don't leave home without it.

G&T Outfitters TEXAS
Firearms/Class III / AMMO/Optics
www.helicopterhoghuntingtexas.com
www.gandtoutfitters.com
G&T Outfitters / Facebook
helicopterhoghuntingtexas / Facebook
G&T Outfitters / Instagram
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: GTOutfitter] #4765049 11/20/13 06:02 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
zombie ammo gotta get me some up flag any one know were I can get some for my .44 cal New Orleans Ace ?

Last edited by colt.45; 11/20/13 06:06 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: 1860.colt] #4831009 12/12/13 03:57 PM
P
pinkmist black hog down Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I had a 150LB Boar act like that. Was a white one with black spots. Took a 5.56 to the ear, fell down. Turned and looked at me when I walked up to it, stood up and squared off at me, took a .357 hollow point to the face, stood back up and walked away. Found it laying down 100 or so yards away. He stood up again when he heard the truck pulling up, started walking away and took a 308 to the back of the dome peice. We left him the hell alone after he fell from that one and went back 30 minutes later he was still doing the dying pig dance on his side. No maggots but definatly one of the toughest pigs I have ever killed.

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: pinkmist black hog down] #4839263 12/15/13 05:44 PM
P
porkysnightmare Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Been down that road before also...had a mama take four from my 7mm mag, blew out both shoulders opened her chest up and hit her behind the ear, two lungers with a .380 point blank and 15 minutes later she was still fighting to get up. My friend knocked the top of her head off with his 8mm mausser and 15 minutes after that she finally took her last breath. The people whose land we were hunting asked how many we had gotten, sucked to say ONE. Never had something like that happen...just insane

Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: porkysnightmare] #4840453 12/16/13 01:11 AM
H
harperdr1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Been lucky enough to drop all mine in one shot between the eyes. Used a 357 with hot semi jacketed flat nose rounds. But then again I always ended up being less than 5 feet away when they came at me. Yikes!!! Hopefully the next couple will be farthur away. Buddy of my dad hit one as it ran by him with all 6 rounds from his 44 mag and it never even slowed down. They never did find that one. Great stories guys. These things are the reason I NEVER go in the woods without my 357 or 44.

The willingness to succeed is not as important as the willingness to prepare.
Re: Zombie Hog Encounters [Re: harperdr1] #4840516 12/16/13 01:27 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
up sure are some zombie hogs out their, have hit few with 30-30 blood all over, spent hours trying ta recover. yet some only go few yards, heart & lung shot with .223 55gr fmj confused2 shot placement i'm guessing flag

i'm postaddic
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide