Print Thread
Calling in an Axis #4832726 12/13/13 02:48 AM
B
buck-snort Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
anyone have a method that works for calling in an axis buck?

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: buck-snort] #4833092 12/13/13 04:43 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Great question. I hear them "roaring" similar to a red stag all the time, both in my neighborhood and where I hunt. Maybe someone on here has tried calling. 'Sounds like a prostate exam using a drill stem pipe.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: Creekrunner] #4833638 12/13/13 02:59 PM
A
axisaddict Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
We use a cow elk call. It is similar to the sound the does make. It works better when they are rutting.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: axisaddict] #4833684 12/13/13 03:12 PM
T
Time Killer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
When are Axis in rut?

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: axisaddict] #4833693 12/13/13 03:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: axisaddict
We use a cow elk call. It is similar to the sound the does make. It works better when they are rutting.

Does it work though?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: txtrophy85] #4833699 12/13/13 03:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Axis are in rut in June/July but will breed anytime if the year

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: Time Killer] #4833812 12/13/13 03:34 PM
S
Skylar Mac Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Time Killer
When are Axis in rut?

It varies.

Does can go into heat any time throughout the year. But the most consistant time, that I have heard of them rutting is in June and/or September.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: Skylar Mac] #4834170 12/13/13 04:56 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
As Frank Costanza would say, Hoochie Mama.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: TexFlip] #4834373 12/13/13 06:01 PM
A
axisaddict Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Ours seem to rut in june/july, but also in Jan/feb. And yes it works. I called in my biggest to date using one. We had seen a small herd, got set up and started calling. Withing 20 minutes I had a 32" big boy come in. I have also had some smaller ones come in as well, but they weren't what I was looking for.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: axisaddict] #4834397 12/13/13 06:07 PM
J
jashle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I bought me a cow call and have used it sporatically. Not sure if Im doing it right though. Whats your basic technique for calling? Timing? Interval?

Have gotten responces from other axis/sika but havent been able to call them up to view.

Last edited by jashle; 12/13/13 06:08 PM.
Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: jashle] #4834444 12/13/13 06:20 PM
A
axisaddict Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I don't have a basic interval. It is all done by sight/sound. I am by no means an expert, but when I have had success it has normally been with a couple of squeezes and wait on either movement towards us or an audible response. I liken it to Turkey hunting, as that is what I am most familiar with. If they are responding I will keep calling until I get a shot.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: TexFlip] #4834445 12/13/13 06:20 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
As Frank Costanza would say, Hoochie Mama.

Like he said, the Hoochie Mama elk call is the only call I have heard that works on axis. Not sure if it is true or not, but it is the one I would try.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: dogcatcher] #4834914 12/13/13 08:45 PM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I would be interested in trying this as well. Has anyone else had any success, and what was your technique?

Dryberry was the last lake God created and it took the entire seventh day.
Dryberry Lake Sioux Narrows, Ontario, Canada (a.k.a. Heaven)
Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: sillyhorses] #4835065 12/13/13 09:28 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I have been working on this in earnest the past year, trying many different calls/setups/techniques. You can DEFINITELY call axis, but there are some gotchas that I have discovered.

First, usually less is more. If you get a response and/or detect movement towards you - stop calling. Yes, sometimes a hot buck will keeping responding and coming, but more often they will shy away. They can DEFINITELY wise up to calls quickly, and once they have you pegged - forget it, they will ignore all calls thereafter.

Axis are smart and curious - and cautious. Don't think you can get the success with calls that you can with elk or even WT. Part of the reason for this is that these elk calls are simliar, but have enough difference to make them cautious. Blow a sour note, and they will immediately lose interest.

The two calls that I found work the best are the Hoochie Mama, and the IMakaDaBullsCrazy. Each works differently and should be used in different circumstances.

First, the HM call is used to simulate a male and works best during rut. It will scare does off quick. It can bring axis to you when none are seen but you hear in the distance. Once have a visual, stop calling unless the buck turns the other way. If he doesn't turn around, stop calling until he is a couple minutes out of sight.

The IMDBC call is used to simulate an axis doe distress chirp call. Obviously don't use if does are present. But if you have bucks in the area that have a harem, they will come a RUNNING to the aid of a distressed doe. This technique works all year long.

But be cautious and call sparingly. Once the bucks in the area know they have been fooled, they won't EVER respond to the call again. I made this mistake in my spot in Boerne. Discovered the call and had fun showing off for friends getting axis to literally come running across the field right up to me. Bringing them back like a Yo-yo.

But once they saw me - they have never responded to this call again - but I continue to fool other axis groups on other properties across the state.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: John Humbert] #4835256 12/13/13 10:28 PM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
So now I have to go out and buy myself a elk call. I see the Hoochie on ebay, but couldn't find the IMDBC anywhere.

Which one is better?

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: sillyhorses] #4835297 12/13/13 10:34 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Last edited by TexFlip; 12/13/13 10:42 PM.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: TexFlip] #4835309 12/13/13 10:39 PM
S
sillyhorses Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Gotcha. Thanks Texflip

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: sillyhorses] #4835351 12/13/13 10:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have a hoochie mama call but never wanted to use it for fear of scaring off every deer on the ranch

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: txtrophy85] #4835405 12/13/13 11:18 PM
B
buck-snort Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks.. I have the hoochie mama elk call. I will try the IMBC as well. One question. If they sense they have been fooled will they leave the area? Or just stop responding? I have tried the hoochie mama call and never got a response. But based on the responses I am over using it. I seem to see more Axis when not trying to call them in at all. I have read several articles on how cautious axis are even that they will circle an area they are feeding downwind to make sure it's safe. These are good tips I have not heard before. Thanks for the replies.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: buck-snort] #4835454 12/13/13 11:39 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Axis will send their sentry in first..this is the first Axis you may see..the rest will be a little ways behind her..Let her go looking around till she brings the others in..(BE INVISIBLE)..(she smells,hears or sees anything of you )she will start barking and they will be all gone in seconds..

Always Pray to have eyes that see the best in people,
a heart that forgives the worst,
a mind that forgets the bad,
and a Soul that never loses faith in God.

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: banderapass1] #4835660 12/14/13 12:49 AM
B
buck-snort Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: banderapass1
Axis will send their sentry in first..this is the first Axis you may see..the rest will be a little ways behind her..Let her go looking around till she brings the others in..(BE INVISIBLE)..(she smells,hears or sees anything of you )she will start barking and they will be all gone in seconds..

That makes perfect sense. That's exactly what I see on my lease. very rarely do I see more than one axis.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: banderapass1] #4835765 12/14/13 01:55 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

This is exactly right. They send in 1 or 2 younger does ahead to cross fields, or anyplace they are unsure about. They are sacrificial does. If they signal OK, the rest move in - but the top buck will usually still stay in the brush as lookouts. They are always the last to move, but they will catch up and take lead if it all clear. When they come to another danger spot, they call up the sacrificial does and send them in.

When a group is feeding, I've taken notice that there are always a few that keep lookout. And they often bunch up feeding, so that sometimes you can have 20 axis right in front of you and never get a clear shot - then they all stampede off together.

And I don't care what anyone says - axis are WAY smarter and can see/hear better than your typical whitetail. Now a big old mature WT buck is pretty smart and cautious, but there's no comparison to most WT.

Another thing, axis eyesight is exceptional. At 400-500 yards away, you can get away with a lot with a WT, but axis will notice movement and bust you at that distance unless you are very still. And I have picked up the binos and seen big axis buck looking at me closely from 600-700 yards, then detour around me.

One thing about the calls. Once they wise up to the call, they don't really spook - they just ignore you. It's kinda insulting. smile I've seen them look up, glance my direction, then go about their business as if they're saying "oh, it's just that jerk with the call again".

Where I hunt in Boerne, the next door neighbor (an anti) feeds the axis heavily. So often there are 10-25 axis standing around in his pasture. I can go up to the fenceline and try calls and watch their reaction. Been doing this for about a year. Learned a whole lot watching those deer. Sometimes it's fun just to watch them for a few hours, feeding, coming and going.

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: John Humbert] #4835833 12/14/13 02:33 AM
B
buck-snort Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
great info. I'm glad I asked my question

Re: Calling in an Axis [Re: John Humbert] #4837741 12/14/13 10:58 PM
B
banderapass1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: John Humbert

This is exactly right. They send in 1 or 2 younger does ahead to cross fields, or anyplace they are unsure about. They are sacrificial does. If they signal OK, the rest move in - but the top buck will usually still stay in the brush as lookouts. They are always the last to move, but they will catch up and take lead if it all clear. When they come to another danger spot, they call up the sacrificial does and send them in.

When a group is feeding, I've taken notice that there are always a few that keep lookout. And they often bunch up feeding, so that sometimes you can have 20 axis right in front of you and never get a clear shot - then they all stampede off together.

And I don't care what anyone says - axis are WAY smarter and can see/hear better than your typical whitetail. Now a big old mature WT buck is pretty smart and cautious, but there's no comparison to most WT.

Another thing, axis eyesight is exceptional. At 400-500 yards away, you can get away with a lot with a WT, but axis will notice movement and bust you at that distance unless you are very still. And I have picked up the binos and seen big axis buck looking at me closely from 600-700 yards, then detour around me.

One thing about the calls. Once they wise up to the call, they don't really spook - they just ignore you. It's kinda insulting. smile I've seen them look up, glance my direction, then go about their business as if they're saying "oh, it's just that jerk with the call again".

Where I hunt in Boerne, the next door neighbor (an anti) feeds the axis heavily. So often there are 10-25 axis standing around in his pasture. I can go up to the fenceline and try calls and watch their reaction. Been doing this for about a year. Learned a whole lot watching those deer. Sometimes it's fun just to watch them for a few hours, feeding, coming and going.

This is all so true...!

Always Pray to have eyes that see the best in people,
a heart that forgives the worst,
a mind that forgets the bad,
and a Soul that never loses faith in God.

Texas Tech University,Alumni
Lubbock Christian University,Alumni

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide