Print Thread
Davy Crockett #481583 11/11/08 06:32 AM
Y
ytsejam Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Y
I am planning a trip out to Davy Crockett in a few weeks, and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. Hopefully you good peeps can help me.

From what I have read, and have heard, all one needs is a hunting license except if going into the WMA then the $48 AHP is needed, is that correct?
I am aware of it being buck only, with the special antler restrictions.
Our trip is mid week so it shouldn't be too crowded.
We plan on going deep in the forest, are the pockets of private land well marked?
I have a map coming in the mail, and should be here any day now.
Do I need to check any animals with the ranger station or any other spot after shooting them?
I plan on stopping at the ranger station when we get there to make sure I know all the rules, but anything you can help me with will be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Re: Davy Crockett [Re: ytsejam] #481584 11/11/08 01:53 PM
B
boliverpete Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Quote:

From what I have read, and have heard, all one needs is a hunting license except if going into the WMA then the $48 AHP is needed, is that correct?

Yep that is correct, the Alabama Creek WMA is the only place that requires a Type II permit.
Quote:

We plan on going deep in the forest, are the pockets of private land well marked?

Not all of them. Definately take your map with you. Along the roads you will sometimes find signs indicating the boundries. In the woods, some land owners will have fences, if you see a fence, don't cross it. Others will mark their boundry line with red paint on the trees. If you see red paint on one side of a tree, don't go past it. Some others will post no tresspassing signs. I have seen places where the map says it's public land and there are still no trespassing signs all over the place. Without a game warden or ranger present, don't take the chance, move along.
You will find several bulldozer trails cut through the forest (fire breaks?) about 5 foot wide. These are very often cut right on the boundry between public and private land. If you're walking and find what looks like a 4-5 foot wide road, look at your map and assume that you're getting really close to private land.
Quote:

Do I need to check any animals with the ranger station or any other spot after shooting them?

No, with the exeption of eastern turkeys which you can only hunt in the spring.
Quote:

I plan on stopping at the ranger station when we get there to make sure I know all the rules, but anything you can help me with will be greatly appreciated.

Wear your hunter orange at all times.
Unload your rifle before you get to the road.
Tag your deer and fill out the log on the back of your license.
Camp only in designated hunter camps.
Don't shoot does.
Only shoot bucks with a 13" spread or at least one unbranched antler.
No baiting.
No 4-wheelers
LEAVE THE FOREST BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT.

Re: Davy Crockett [Re: boliverpete] #481585 11/14/08 01:35 AM
Gator Killer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
ive been the last 4 years and have yet to see a buck... but its always a good time...im just disappointed that they banned 4 wheelers

Re: Davy Crockett [Re: ytsejam] #481586 11/16/08 11:51 PM
Y
ytsejam Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Y
thanks for the info

Re: Davy Crockett [Re: ytsejam] #481587 11/17/08 02:32 AM
txhunter89 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I went out there the weekend before rifle season and saw close to 20 deer, 2 nice bucks. Planning on going out there again around christmas. Good luck, hope you get one.

Re: Davy Crockett [Re: ytsejam] #481588 11/25/08 08:23 PM
Y
ytsejam Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Y
we went out there last week, wed-fri. Friday morning I saw a nice buck, but couldn't get a shot quick enough. By the time i had my gun up and ready, the deer was lost in the brush.

I want to go back now

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide