Print Thread
Couple of rattling questions? #4782903 11/26/13 05:21 AM
T
tightlines24 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Going to do some this week for the first time.
1.Timing: What time in the morning do you start rattling and how long do you stay in one place before you decide to move on?
Also, is rattling productive at all times of the day?

2.How far do you move from one setup to another?

3.And lastly, how far do you want to be able to see when you set up? Obviously the farther I can see the farther I can be seen.

Thanks for any advise here.

Re: Couple of rattling questions? [Re: tightlines24] #4782916 11/26/13 05:31 AM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
1. depends on the day. have sat for 10 minutes have sat for 45 minutes from break of day till I couldn't see anymore

2. depends on the day. have moved 100yrds have moved 400yrds

3. depends on the day. personally I like to keep it between 15yrds to 45yrds the tighter your cover the more you'll be surprised when/if he shows up

there really no right or wrong answer rutting activity has more to do with it than anything

I like a light breeze to help predict where they will come from. generally they can come from all directions but eventually will get down wind and work back to you. I like to set up where they can't sneak up behind me and I only have to look 180 degrees

Last edited by SingleShot85; 11/26/13 05:33 AM.
Re: Couple of rattling questions? [Re: SingleShot85] #4782921 11/26/13 05:36 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Think about two bucks fighting. Do they schedule it? Do they have a time limit? A meeting place? Rules?

It is a very random act with very different results each time. Just imagine two bucks getting after it, and duplicate that.

Re: Couple of rattling questions? [Re: SingleShot85] #4782929 11/26/13 05:41 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
The key to rattling is being at the right place at the right time. There is no set standard that you can go by for success.

Timing: anytime is good. I have rattled them in all times of the day. Midday is one of my favorite times to rattle. I like to start the morning off quiet to see what is moving and what deer are in the area. I have rattled in multiple bucks in one set up to 2 hours apart. Sometimes I stay and sometimes I move. Depends on the responses I am getting and how the deer I see approach.

Location: I like to set up where I have other locations in mind and a plan to get from point a to point b. Make sure you are well concealed, they will be looking for you and an uncanny ability to pinpoint the location of a noise. Make sure you can see multiple directions and for around 150 yards or so. When you stop your rattling sequence, sit very still. I have seen bucks hold up at a distance and stand as still as a statue for 5 minutes before approaching. I have also had deer come in 15 minutes after a sequence.

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Couple of rattling questions? [Re: txshntr] #4783062 11/26/13 11:42 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Post I made last year on rattling.
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have rattled bucks in all types of different situations. Timing is the key. I always try to rattle when I see deer up and moving or traveling. First good light in the morning or around 9 or so are good times for up till noon. Calm, cloudy, drizzling, heavy frost or combinations of all have been very good for me. Buck to doe ratios are as critical as timing. I will start by raking a bush with the antlers and then pounding one on the ground a couple of times. I have had deer run over me coming in so fast to just this. When I rattle I make as much noise as I can. Two bucks are trying to kill themselves. You are not wanting timid deer to come but mature and dominant bucks. So act like you are dominant. While I rattle I will rake a bush or fight the ground with antlers. I use a grunt call also. I have had bucks come from any direction so while down wind is critical if bucks are coming on a dead run you better have your head on a swivel. I have had bucks move only when I rattle. I have had some only sneak in. The fun ones are the ones that come charging in with hair standing on end and looking at you like you owe them money. I rattle for about 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes the first time then sit and watch. If bucks are charging in the will be there on you in less than 2 minutes. If not I rattle again and the will trot or walk in from 2-10 minutes. If they are coming from a distance it might take them over 10 minutes. Seems like when I have rattled in the most bucks it takes them over 10 minutes to respond and they come in waves. When I get a buck that hangs up due to another buck picking me off, I will do a snort wheeze and they will come in on a string under the right conditions. I have rattle bucks back to me multiple times after they have smelled or seen me move. I have had bucks take 27 minutes to get to me and step out. I will move depending on cover and terrain and wind about 300 yrd or more and try again. I have rattle the same buck in multiple times when I moved and rattled again. It is best to rattle with one or two shooters you know and trust. Put them downwind at 45's to you about 30-40 yds. Better yet put a shooter in a tripod 40 yrds are so downwind. They will see deer you never see. I rattle a buck up this week that came back to me and he did not approach into the wind. He came on a string right at me across the wind.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Couple of rattling questions? [Re: stxranchman] #4783118 11/26/13 12:47 PM
T
tightlines24 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Thanks guys. we will see what happens.

Re: Couple of rattling questions? [Re: tightlines24] #4783212 11/26/13 01:43 PM
C
curt o Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
As STX stated buck to doe ratio is critical, the closer it is to 1:1 the better it will work and for a longer period.

An overload of doe and it simply will not work.

Rutting activity is also crucial...timing.

STX is spot on in his post above (as usual).

Patience is the key
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide