Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: dgilbert] #4759570 11/18/13 10:58 PM
F
FordEvangelist Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Great review from B1Hearin... sounds very objective and stuck to facts. Well done.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: FordEvangelist] #4759661 11/18/13 11:28 PM
B
bu2herndog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Good review.

Congrats to your boy on the ram.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: bu2herndog] #4759783 11/19/13 12:00 AM
2010bigdog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Good review. Should help others. Congrats W! Those other critters will be harder to successfully stalk though!

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: 2010bigdog] #4760000 11/19/13 01:06 AM
T
TCB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Good write up and very class way to state your disappointment. I hunted there for hogs last December and you're spot on your assessment.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: dgilbert] #4762240 11/19/13 08:10 PM
B
buck wild Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
1bhearing- I was there recently also and had a very similar experince so I don't think it was a fluke. We arrived in the morning and when I called upon reaching the meeting location, Danny advised he wasn't expecting us until noon. We discussed the arrival time at least twice before in the week preceding. After a short wait, Danny's son came and met us. Once at the ranch we had wait approx 1.5 hrs for the hog hunters to leave the $300 sheep pasture. I asked several times how big the pasture was and was told 300-400 acres. Like you, I immediately knew it wasn't, which was confirmed later by looking at google earth. It showed to be around 85-90 acres. We also lost Cody for approx 1.5 hrs later that afternoon. I've tried texting Cody several times since the hunt about booking a hunt on another ranch that we ended up going to later in the hunt, but he hasn't replied.
My take on things was that they were over booking the hunts.
I only met Danny's wife for 5 min as she showed us our cabin, Never met Danny either. Cody was great and did his best IMO.
My rating
Sheep/hog pasture very small but loaded with small hogs 6/10
Cabin 7/10 (have to shower in another building, but outside patio area was very nice)
pricing 8.5/10
overall experience 6/10

I would go back as animals were priced right !! But a few of the little things need to get resolved.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: buck wild] #4762384 11/19/13 08:54 PM
A
Aaron-Ibex Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I had a similar experience. Seems to me buying and selling animals is there main objective there and hunting comes second. I loved the outdoor patio and bunkhouse was nice too. all small pigs though. no big hogs.

Aaron Gage
903-271-3875
www.texasibex.com
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Aaron-Ibex] #4762549 11/19/13 09:49 PM
C
Cankor Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Yeah DB isn't a bad place to go, and I have to agree about the cabins and outdoor grill area is nice... but this year there communication is absolutly horrible. Don't know what changed from last year?

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: dgilbert] #4769080 11/21/13 10:12 PM
D
deven.kauffman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Earlier this year at the end of spring before i left for my deployment i booked a hog hunt for me and my wife. Since it's kind of hard to make plans being in the army i had to do a last minute call to them to hunt an afternoon during the week because they were booked every weekend til after i had to leave so anyways from the get go they were really nice to us. Especially our guide Brittany. We made a deal because me and my wife were sitting in the same blind that i would pay for both of us and if she shot one and i didnt that i could come back another day. Or if we didnt see any or get a shot that we both could come back. Well we only seen couple goats all afternoon and at last light we heard pigs coming. But by the time they got to us it was to dark to see through the scope but we could bearly see their outline with our eyes. When they came to pick us up we explained to Brittany what happened and she was happy that we didnt take a dumb shot. So we talked about coming back, When she talked to the Boss Danny i think. He didnt seem to care at all or worry about us coming back. For the next two months i tried calling and texting and nothing! if they did answer they were always sooo busy to talk when i brought it up or they were apparently booked every single day with every stand. So i wasted $200 just to go see 2 goats. I dont blame Brittany because i could tell that she was trying to get us to come back. I guided/ran a hunting ranch in missouri for years and i would never think about doing this to anyone. i was very upset.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: deven.kauffman] #4772860 11/22/13 10:57 PM
K
Kellbell Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
This is Kelly owner of DB everyone keeps talking about how you did not get to meet Danny when you came out you have to think we are a working ranch and family for that matter. We are not on the ranch all of time and if we are then there are things that need to be done. Yes we also catch deer for a living that why we have guides to take care of the hunting ranch so we can focus on other things and know that they are being taken care of.  Our prices are so fair on the game we have out there because we get out there and catch them ourselves. If you want to meet Danny when you come you can always ask.
As for "b1hearin" you knew when we squeezed you in for 11/17/13 that we had other hunters how were we suppose to know that there were going to act like real winners and shoot up the place. That's what lessened your odds on harvesting everything on your list. I did not meet you at the shell station until 1:00 so with all you did finding the dead hog and harvesting the ram I don't see how you could have been cleaning your ram at 1:15 as stated. I am not trying to be in a peeing match with anyone but if you want to complain let get the facts straight. You did not call my phone until you were already packed up and driving around the front of the property and did not call Danny's phone at all. 
"Buck wild" we do not have a "$300.00 sheep pasture" we (Danny and I) have NEVER said that the ranch is 300-400 acres that's just crazy. Cody does not book hunts he is a guide only of you are booking a hunt I has to be done with Danny or myself. We sure did book the ranch out because you we not hunting there you were going to another ranch (as set up before hand) to harvest your white ram. 
Aaron really that's all. 
Deven.kauffman sounds like you are also calling your guide to book the hunt and not Danny or myself. 
If you have a problem with the ranch or anything I have said please feel free to call me 512-633-6508. 

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Kellbell] #4776672 11/24/13 02:20 PM
A
Aron Smudy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I just finished another great hunt at DB yesterday (meat bison) and enjoyed the same great experience as always at DB. Guides are always amazing and accommodating. Cody is just fun to be around and goes above and beyond in every way. I don't understand the angst from some about meeting the owner. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that needs to be taken care of and owners often can't be on site at all times.
Would recommend DB without reservation after repeated good experiences there.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Aron Smudy] #4776796 11/24/13 03:09 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've done one hunt with DB and they went out of their way to make sure Mrs. B got her elk. If anybody has a problem with DB most likely they created it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Aron Smudy] #4776800 11/24/13 03:11 PM
B
BSolomon Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I also have hunted DB a few times. I have had my brother fly down from Wa State also to do so. My first time was for a hog and ram for my younger brother and I. We both got are animals. Second time I went up for a Asian Water Buffalo and Hog. I got my Water Buffalo but did not get my hog. But they said to let them know when I want to come back up and get my hog. Third time I went up I flew my nephew in from Colorado to harvest his first hog. He got his hog that night. I did not get my hog due to I was in the stand with my nephew. So was set on him shooting first. But I know I can call them and get my hog when I want. Cody is a great guide and makes it fun to hunt up there. Still remember Cody and I running for the truck when I got my water buffalo and the other 2 water buffalo's wanted us.

New To The Area But Not The Hunt!
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: deven.kauffman] #4776814 11/24/13 03:17 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: deven.kauffman
Earlier this year at the end of spring before i left for my deployment i booked a hog hunt for me and my wife. Since it's kind of hard to make plans being in the army i had to do a last minute call to them to hunt an afternoon during the week because they were booked every weekend til after i had to leave so anyways from the get go they were really nice to us. Especially our guide Brittany. We made a deal because me and my wife were sitting in the same blind that i would pay for both of us and if she shot one and i didnt that i could come back another day. Or if we didnt see any or get a shot that we both could come back. Well we only seen couple goats all afternoon and at last light we heard pigs coming. But by the time they got to us it was to dark to see through the scope but we could bearly see their outline with our eyes. When they came to pick us up we explained to Brittany what happened and she was happy that we didnt take a dumb shot. So we talked about coming back, When she talked to the Boss Danny i think. He didnt seem to care at all or worry about us coming back. For the next two months i tried calling and texting and nothing! if they did answer they were always sooo busy to talk when i brought it up or they were apparently booked every single day with every stand. So i wasted $200 just to go see 2 goats. I dont blame Brittany because i could tell that she was trying to get us to come back. I guided/ran a hunting ranch in missouri for years and i would never think about doing this to anyone. i was very upset.

This story sounds familiar, sounds allot like the couple that showed up the afternoon of our hunt. If I remember right they didn't score on their first hunt and DB was gracious enough to let them come back for a second hunt. We seen about 12 hogs that day! And if I remember correctly they scored on the second trip. DB didn't have to do that, but that's the kind of operation they run.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Aron Smudy] #4776829 11/24/13 03:24 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Honestly, everyone has the right to review their hunt and post it publicly. THF (to me) has some of the fairest reviews of hunting guides/ranches, period. Occasionally someone posts some fabricated junk and it's snuffed out almost immediately. I know for a fact that this site is very sought after by ranches and outfitters and additionally by prospective buyers, which is why the defensive posts come quickly (most times) by the ranches/outfitters. However, when a few posts about a place share consistencies such as these, I personally feel like it's a good opportunity for the guide/ranch to take some constructive criticism, post a "point well taken" response, and keep improving. I think any mature person understands not all people have a great experience, that's just the fact of life. But when a few disappointed customers come out to speak their mind, It speaks leaps and bounds about a place when they offer an apology, or the desire to make things right; rather than a post about how the customer is wrong (even over such a minor detail as the time of day) and the ranch is right.

Just my .02

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: RobertY] #4777086 11/24/13 05:04 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
My opinion from reading all the reviews is some hunters do not like just being a number ......and expected a more personal touch.

Maybe the operation is more of a Run them in... run them out.

Kind of like catching the animals they sale. In and Out.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: RobertY] #4777136 11/24/13 05:23 PM
W
webb1974 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
Honestly, everyone has the right to review their hunt and post it publicly. THF (to me) has some of the fairest reviews of hunting guides/ranches, period. Occasionally someone posts some fabricated junk and it's snuffed out almost immediately. I know for a fact that this site is very sought after by ranches and outfitters and additionally by prospective buyers, which is why the defensive posts come quickly (most times) by the ranches/outfitters. However, when a few posts about a place share consistencies such as these, I personally feel like it's a good opportunity for the guide/ranch to take some constructive criticism, post a "point well taken" response, and keep improving. I think any mature person understands not all people have a great experience, that's just the fact of life. But when a few disappointed customers come out to speak their mind, It speaks leaps and bounds about a place when they offer an apology, or the desire to make things right; rather than a post about how the customer is wrong (even over such a minor detail as the time of day) and the ranch is right.

Just my .02

Very well said. I think the reviews were wrote in a very detailed and tactical way. It seems like the guides definitely are well liked and do a stand up job.I have never been to db but i do frequent several ranches a yr and a lot of the fun for me is experiencing different places with my family.The reviews alone would not have kept me from considering the db for a hunt but the owners attempt at damage control just rubbed me the wrong way. I have read several reviews on hunting ranches good and bad and you can tell a lot about the owners or managers on how they handle the criticism. Who knows db may have been one of the best places i went to but with the owners response and all the places out there i will look elsewhere.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: Kellbell] #4777572 11/24/13 08:11 PM
B
buck wild Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: Kellbell
This is Kelly owner of DB everyone keeps talking about how you did not get to meet Danny when you came out you have to think we are a working ranch and family for that matter. We are not on the ranch all of time and if we are then there are things that need to be done. Yes we also catch deer for a living that why we have guides to take care of the hunting ranch so we can focus on other things and know that they are being taken care of.  Our prices are so fair on the game we have out there because we get out there and catch them ourselves. If you want to meet Danny when you come you can always ask.
As for "b1hearin" you knew when we squeezed you in for 11/17/13 that we had other hunters how were we suppose to know that there were going to act like real winners and shoot up the place. That's what lessened your odds on harvesting everything on your list. I did not meet you at the shell station until 1:00 so with all you did finding the dead hog and harvesting the ram I don't see how you could have been cleaning your ram at 1:15 as stated. I am not trying to be in a peeing match with anyone but if you want to complain let get the facts straight. You did not call my phone until you were already packed up and driving around the front of the property and did not call Danny's phone at all. 
"Buck wild" we do not have a "$300.00 sheep pasture" we (Danny and I) have NEVER said that the ranch is 300-400 acres that's just crazy. Cody does not book hunts he is a guide only of you are booking a hunt I has to be done with Danny or myself. We sure did book the ranch out because you we not hunting there you were going to another ranch (as set up before hand) to harvest your white ram. 
Aaron really that's all. 
Deven.kauffman sounds like you are also calling your guide to book the hunt and not Danny or myself. 
If you have a problem with the ranch or anything I have said please feel free to call me 512-633-6508. 

Thanks for replying Kelly- although it seems as if you were rubbed a little wrong by my post. I was only posting my honest opinion, which BTW wasn't trashing anyone at all. Matter of fact, the last thing I posted was that I'd hunt there again !! I'm not getting into a peeing match either about anything, but there were a few things happen to me that was exactly what behearing experienced which was the only reason I posted behind him. I stand by my comments. Both me and my buddy killed animals were we after and in the end that's a big concern, but the little things could be cleaned up to make for a better hunting experience. Like someone above posted- it was all good, constructive criticism that shouldn't be ignored. I hope you take them as such. I realize it's your livelihood at stake and you have the right to be sensitive about that. I wish you and your family the best.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: buck wild] #4778982 11/25/13 04:06 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I hunted there with my son hoping to take his first pig. He saw several exotics, which he was excited about, but not a single pig. They have plenty of animals. That's not the issue I had. The issue is when you drive 4 hours with your kid to get in a hunt between a tight schedule of school, sports and scouts and he never sees a pig (pig hunt) and when you stick one well enough there is blood at the point of impact, leaving the first 30 plus yards you can see with the light of your cell phone, you would hope the guide would at least pretend to make an effort, not just blow you off. The guide didn't even have a flash light to blood trail a pig. Then when he left and came back with one that was almost dead he walked off into the cedars about 30 yards and stood there smoking a cigarette and refused to even try. I messaged the person I had booked the trip with and I was offered a return trip, and if it weren't 4 hours away I would have done it, but never bothered for that reason only. As someone who has guided hunts I know the customer service I give and what I have received at several ranches around Texas. I frequent the ones who have done it right for my expectations.

The reality is they have really inexpensive hunts. And maybe we got what we paid for. If you want a no frills experience at killing a pig or exotic meat animal I think it's a good ranch to go to. Just don't expect it to be any more than that. I like to handle those situations privately and wouldn't even post this now if Kellbell didn't take such a defensive posture. Apparently she feels they have enough returning customers that she can call the ones who complain liars. Robert was correct in what he said. Suck it up Kelly and try to learn from it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: passthru] #4779107 11/25/13 05:03 AM
A
ACooper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I cannot give a review of an actual hunt at DB, however several friends and I were looking for a hog hunt for a bachelor party in mid October. We had gotten the run around from several "outfitters" so I did my research here and saw that DB was highly recommended. We made contact with Danny a few times and he thought he could accommodate us. At first calls were answered or voice mails returned, but as we were running out of time we could no longer make contact or get a call returned. We finally got an email that said they were booked. Now I totally understand folks get busy etc, it would have been nice for a straight forward answer from the get go. That way we could have moved on and tried to book else where. I would still like to hunt with them, as they seem to have great prices and are very close to some of my family so it would be convenient.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: ACooper] #4779167 11/25/13 05:39 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: ACooper
I cannot give a review of an actual hunt at DB, however several friends and I were looking for a hog hunt for a bachelor party in mid October. We had gotten the run around from several "outfitters" so I did my research here and saw that DB was highly recommended. We made contact with Danny a few times and he thought he could accommodate us. At first calls were answered or voice mails returned, but as we were running out of time we could no longer make contact or get a call returned. We finally got an email that said they were booked. Now I totally understand folks get busy etc, it would have been nice for a straight forward answer from the get go. That way we could have moved on and tried to book else where. I would still like to hunt with them, as they seem to have great prices and are very close to some of my family so it would be convenient.

WOW!!! Good luck

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: passthru] #4779170 11/25/13 05:46 AM
I
iehooligan11b Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Originally Posted By: passthru
I hunted there with my son hoping to take his first pig. He saw several exotics, which he was excited about, but not a single pig. They have plenty of animals. That's not the issue I had. The issue is when you drive 4 hours with your kid to get in a hunt between a tight schedule of school, sports and scouts and he never sees a pig (pig hunt) and when you stick one well enough there is blood at the point of impact, leaving the first 30 plus yards you can see with the light of your cell phone, you would hope the guide would at least pretend to make an effort, not just blow you off. The guide didn't even have a flash light to blood trail a pig. Then when he left and came back with one that was almost dead he walked off into the cedars about 30 yards and stood there smoking a cigarette and refused to even try. I messaged the person I had booked the trip with and I was offered a return trip, and if it weren't 4 hours away I would have done it, but never bothered for that reason only. As someone who has guided hunts I know the customer service I give and what I have received at several ranches around Texas. I frequent the ones who have done it right for my expectations.

The reality is they have really inexpensive hunts. And maybe we got what we paid for. If you want a no frills experience at killing a pig or exotic meat animal I think it's a good ranch to go to. Just don't expect it to be any more than that. I like to handle those situations privately and wouldn't even post this now if Kellbell didn't take such a defensive posture. Apparently she feels they have enough returning customers that she can call the ones who complain liars. Robert was correct in what he said. Suck it up Kelly and try to learn from it.
I just went for a hunt at db today and overall I enjoyed it. Decent price and it was close to fort hood. Guide was helpful and friendly. Only thing that rubbed me wrong was at the very end of the day. I didn't see any hogs during the morning hunt so my guide said to come back in afternoon. Saw just about every animal possible except for a hog lol. But then finally a group of about five came in. took my shot, pig stumbled a bit and took off. Let him go for a bit and went and checked for tracks. Our guide rolled up in the gator and we told him I just took my shot on a hog. He walked with me about 50 yards and then walked back to the gator and started texting. Never came back. So I walked around trying to find my hog. Now this was my first hog hunt and was pretty excited about it. Was trying to get a decent meat hog. Went back to see if the guide had a flash light because my headlamp wasnt quite cutting it and it was getting dark. He said no, and that sometimes you just don't find them and kept trying to usher us off and he just seemed like he was done for the day and wanted to go home. I understand that you aren't going to find everything. But youre also not going to find them if you put zero effort into looking.The hunt was decent prior tobthis and our guide had been friendly, but Being that this was the last thing that happened, it really left me with a negative experience overall. Being a soldier and obviously not made of money, I am pretty disappointed to have wasted my money on a hog I wasn't really given a chance to even look for.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: iehooligan11b] #4779255 11/25/13 10:16 AM
D
deven.kauffman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
First of all "HWY_MAN" you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. So I guess you didnt remember right!? Ya they did tell us we can come back but if you had read my message you would have seen that they didnt let us come back because they said they have 0 openings available. Which im sorry but there is absolutely no way you can be booked every single day in every single stand for two months. Which if that was possible atleast 1 person wouldve canceled. And again if you had ready my message you would have seen that WE DIDNT get to come back for a second hunt so how is it possible that we "scored" on a second trip when we didnt hunt there but "one" time??? And we made that deal before we even went to the blind so dont try to say that they didnt have to do that because we made a deal. If they didnt like the deal they couldve said no before we hunted.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: deven.kauffman] #4780319 11/25/13 05:20 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Sorry your hunt went that way iehooligan11b. I want to thank you for your service though. Great people like yourself makes what we do at home in peace possible. God bless all of you.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: passthru] #4780458 11/25/13 05:49 PM
C
crumrw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I hunted DB back in April, and thought the experience was great. There were 4 of us in the group and in 3 days we left with 13 pigs and two fallow does. No, the ranch owner isn't going to sit there and hold your hand and butter you up, but honestly I went there to hunt with my family and for the most part be left alone. Cody was our guide, and he was great. On time and helpful. He also gets roped in to a lot of the other ranch activities too, like catching animals, so if he was late on one of your hunts I would attribute it to that and not his moral character. He is a good guide and a hard worker. The cabins were great, and clean. The cleaning station was more than adequate. For the price, you're not going to find a better deal. If I were to describe this ranch to someone, I'd say it's a budget ranch with tons of animals. I'd say you get more than you pay for, but don't expect a resort. I think the key to booking with these guys is to book far enough in advance that you can be assured that you're the only hunters out there. If you are the only people they have to worry about, they are very accommodating.

Re: DB Hunting Ranch [Re: deven.kauffman] #4781152 11/25/13 08:18 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: deven.kauffman
First of all "HWY_MAN" you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. So I guess you didnt remember right!? Ya they did tell us we can come back but if you had read my message you would have seen that they didnt let us come back because they said they have 0 openings available. Which im sorry but there is absolutely no way you can be booked every single day in every single stand for two months. Which if that was possible atleast 1 person wouldve canceled. And again if you had ready my message you would have seen that WE DIDNT get to come back for a second hunt so how is it possible that we "scored" on a second trip when we didnt hunt there but "one" time??? And we made that deal before we even went to the blind so dont try to say that they didnt have to do that because we made a deal. If they didnt like the deal they couldve said no before we hunted.

Talk about somebody that didn't read the post! At what point did I say it was you!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide