Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,749
Posts9,740,740
Members87,109
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. #4778313 11/25/13 12:56 AM
T
Tatsun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Hey guys, I am looking for some advice for a beginner from those of you who are in the know for reloading.
My wife ordered me one of the Lee Challenger press kits from Bass Pro since they were offering the 6-month pay option. She has known I have talked about it for awhile, and decided to surprise me with an early Christmas/B-day present. I was Christmas baby. partyon555
Anyways, so now I have the press and everything that comes with it.

Its this kit : http://www.basspro.com/Lee-Breech-Lock-Challenger-Kit/product/1202291/

So, now I am still needing to pick up my dies, primers, and powder. I was going to maybe start out loading some 30-06 or .45 loads, as I have some brass I have held onto, and was going to use them in my learning process.
So, needing additional items, can anyone give me some advice on powder, where to get it, what brand etc? I traveled to Bass Pro in Grapevine, but as usual they did not have any in stock. I need to know if anyone knows of any local place besides Cabelas or Bass Pro where I could purchase the powder from, as that seems to hardest thing to find and that seems to be the biggest issue as far as gathering what I am needing. Bass Pro had ZERO 30-06 or .45 bullets, but I can get some from CTD or Cabelas.
If you have advice about powder brand, where to buy it, any on primers, bullets, basically anything, I could use it.
Also, if anyone has general advice they would like to share about reloading in general, as a newbie, I sure would appreciate it.
I am still waiting to pick up a tumbler, separator, tumbler media etc, until I know I have all the actual "components" to reload a round. If anyone knows where to buy those at a reasonable price, or are selling any themselves, I would be interested in hearing from you also.
I am new, and am taking my time to ensure that I learn and know as much as possible about it, but would like to also have everything when I am ready to start my first reloads.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. [Re: Tatsun] #4778351 11/25/13 01:04 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
You're maybe a little far from Southwest Ammo Supply in historic downtown Mesquite, but that's where I'd start. Call 'em first.

Next would be Alpine Shooting near Ft Worth. Give 'em a call first.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. [Re: dawaba] #4778741 11/25/13 02:49 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Cabelas has recently had a good supply of primers. A pound of either Bullseye or Unique will suffice for the pistol powder. I was at Cabelas yesterday and they had 45 bullets.

Get ready for lots of advice about rifle powders. However, it is hard to go wrong with a 150 gr Spitzer in 30-06. I prefer Sierra or Hornady but Speer also makes good bullets.

Most Manufacturers make pretty good dies.

Hold off on the Tumbler and buy the Lyman 49th Edition Reloading manual. The manual will give you advice on matching powders and bullets. The One Book/One Caliber booklets are also pretty good but will never take the place of a manual. Read everything in the Lyman manual.

Cabelas also has periodic reloading classes. They are a good starting place.

Keep asking questions. I started a long time ago and am still asking questions.

BTW, you might look at upgrading the Lee scale.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 11/25/13 02:50 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. [Re: Dave Davidson] #4780521 11/25/13 06:02 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
+1 on what Dave says.

Get a good manual (I've always recommended Lyman's) and read it from cover to cover. Then read it again.

And about that Lee scale...unless they've changed them, they have no magnetic dampening and are very slow to settle. They're probably plenty accurate, just not very convenient. A good Ohaus balance beam or even a decent digital scale would be a good acquisition. But get the manual first!

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. [Re: RiverRider] #4780667 11/25/13 06:39 PM
C
chesterc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I'm very new to reloading myself and I have found Southwest Ammo Supply in Mesquite to be an outstanding place to shop. The staff there is very knowledgeable and they have a lot of product in stock. They do have odd hours though ... currently Wed-Fri 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Re: Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. [Re: chesterc] #4782410 11/26/13 02:43 AM
T
Tatsun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I think I am going to need to be taking a trip to Southwest. You guys have convinced me. I am reading and reading and then reading some more, and feel now that I am ready to try to go ahead and do my first reloads.
Expect me to be bugging everyone with my questions, lol/
Thanks for the help guys.

Re: Just starting into reloading. Need advice on powders, primers, and bullets please. [Re: Tatsun] #4782428 11/26/13 02:48 AM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I always find Bass Pro to have some of the worse prices. . . .

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide